Overrun with clay

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

So, yes, for me, clay was finite.

How about (ab)using slime or just place deodorizers in not fully dug out slime biomes ?

But the easiest way would be morbs ...

(I never (willingly) spawned additional morbs, but I like to keep the ones I find in the wild alive and put them in a "ranch" with deodorizers.)

2 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

How about (ab)using slime or just place deodorizers in not fully dug out slime biomes ?

It never crossed my mind to reserve some slime, let it offgass, and use the PO2 to create clay. Eventually, of course, I dug out all the slime.

Doesn't that just convert slime to clay on a 1.4:1 basis? My understanding is that slime is like oxylite, for every gram of PO2 it creates, it loses one gram of slime. Then the deoderizer makes 1.4 grams of clay for each gram of PO2 converted.

Slime's not exactly renewable. Sure, there's Pufts, but they only produce slime if you have PO2, and they convert PO2 to slime at a loss.

Not fully dug out slime biomes don't produce PO2. Slime left on the ground or polluted water does, which are of course common around slime biomes you're digging out.

I had about a dozen or so morbs hanging out with a puft in a ranch, producing a tiny trickle of slime. It didn't cross my mind to use the morbs for clay, but then morbs don't actually produce all that much PO2. Even one insulated pipe segment requires 285 kg of PO2 before conversion in a deoderizer.

No, I think if you're going to set up a renewable source of clay, you need a large renewable source of polluted water. It's the only source that's likely to yield enough mass.

15 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I like to build closed modules (ab)using wild hatches (they need no constant food supply and no duplicant interaction) which convert clay to ceramic.

150kg clay in -> 100kg ceramic out

(It´s simple, it works without duplicants and the killn can be run in a selfcooling manner using the input coal(hatch produced).)

Wait.. hatches eating clay poop ceramic??

I assumed what he meant is that he fed 50kg of clay to the hatches, got 25kg of coal, and converted another 100kg of clay to ceramic in a kiln.

Honestly, I don't get the emphasis on feeding clay to hatches, given that you've got lots and lots of other stone with no special properties to feed to them. Maybe if you'd gone so end game that you'd actually used all of your stone.

11 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I assumed what he meant is that he fed 50kg of clay to the hatches, got 25kg of coal, and converted another 100kg of clay to ceramic in a kiln.

Honestly, I don't get the emphasis on feeding clay to hatches, given that you've got lots and lots of other stone with no special properties to feed to them. Maybe if you'd gone so end game that you'd actually used all of your stone.

Ah!  Ok, that makes sense.  And yeah, I use ceramic far too much to waste my clay.

Ceramics in my experience is the only easily available material to transport liquid oxygen and hydrogen around safely. Insulated ceramics pipes are quite costly, better have some 100 tons ready when you start with serious rocketry....

Getting back on topic, the OP said he has too much clay from building lots of deodorizers.

He asked what he should do with the extra clay and how to get more sand and if it was possible to turn the clay back into sand.

Assuming he has plenty of ceramics then feeding the extra to hatches seems to be a popular choice.

As for extra sand it would be best to switch to regolith as it's unlimited.

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Assuming he has plenty of ceramics then feeding the extra to hatches seems to be a popular choice.

“Popular” doesn’t meant it’s a good choice. As I said before, I don’t see the benefit in destroying a resource with significant positive qualities (low thermal conductivity in ceramics) instead of a resource with no special properties (most other minerals) just because you’ve got a lot of the good stuff. You only do that when you completely run out of low-quality resources and high quality resources are your only food source for hatches.

From the OP’s unfamiliarity with regolith as a replacement for sand, it seems extremely unlikely he’s run out of trash minerals. You’d only run out of trash minerals if you were very, very late in the game. Cycle 3000+? No one gets that far without colonizing the surface.

I agree about switching to regolith, of course.

2 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

“Popular” doesn’t meant it’s a good choice. As I said before, I don’t see the benefit in destroying a resource with significant positive qualities (low thermal conductivity in ceramics) instead of a resource with no special properties (most other minerals) just because you’ve got a lot of the good stuff. You only do that when you completely run out of low-quality resources and high quality resources are your only food source for hatches.

From the OP’s unfamiliarity with regolith as a replacement for sand, it seems extremely unlikely he’s run out of trash minerals. You’d only run out of trash minerals if you were very, very late in the game. Cycle 3000+? No one gets that far without colonizing the surface.

I agree about switching to regolith, of course.

I said "assuming he has plenty of ceramics" meaning ceramics would be the first choice with hatch food being the second

And it's not destroying clay, it's converting to coal at 2:1 ratio

17 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I said "assuming he has plenty of ceramics" meaning ceramics would be the first choice with hatch food being the second

That’s not really addressing what I said.

”I have lots of clay” doesn’t really change the fact that you should feed trash minerals to hatches before valuable ones.

At most, “lots of clay” just means making the technically inferior choice of hatch food is not really that important.

14 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

That’s not really addressing what I said.

I wasn't addressing your point, I was defending my point

Not once did I disagree with you, it's based on personal experience.

I always ranch hatches early game to supplement my coal needs before I am able to switch NG or petroleum.  This often causes me to run 4-6 stables full of hatches.

That amount of hatches can go though resources very quickly, even igneous rock.

After a lot of trial and error, clay seems to be the best long term solution for coal production.

While everyone has different playstyles, please don't dismiss the solution of others because it doesn't fit yours

To OPs general worry about running out of sand, I think it's safe to say, since igneous can be crushed to sand, and most non-metal/non-plastic solids in the game melt to magma, sand's the most produce-able element. You can even turn oxygen into sand.

Ummm... Oxygen to CO2 via Dupe, then to polluted water via Carbon Skimmers then bottled and left to offgas to polluted oxygen then turned to clay via deodorizer cooked to ceramic in a kiln and crushed in a rock crusher? 

Yeah, that's all I've got... 

Edit: Oh, oxylite and LOX as oxidizes on rocket launches for CO2. 

image.png.73eaedf706421a1e3844e5a801338f97.png

gossipp.png.7e46688a7359158ec851d57177d88bf7.png

Spoiler

Pardon me but I'm contractually obligated to make that joke.

To make this on topic...

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

According to the in-game lexicon, it does indeed. 

Spoiler

Misread the statement, but I'm leaving it in anyways.

It's a good PSA.

idk.png.ad4fa951a08564ab864964c11eb0395c.png

So do Duplicants, but don't melt them.

It causes a weird thing to happen where they'll begin melting into themselves, and then the game will just straight up CTD.

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

maybe oxylite melts into magma?

I've noticed most materials melt into magma by default if no other liquid form is available 

Weird...I believe it used to be tungsten as the placeholder. Or maybe that's just state change. (IE melting abyssalite and then letting it cool)

On 4/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, minespatch said:

I would really prefer getting my sand back, but I suppose I should do that.

If you want some percolate mediate, regolith is infinite

but if you really really need sand ( to make glass ?) you can make clay into ceramics and smash them to the sand, but the most percent of them will lost.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, Neotuck said:

maybe oxylite melts into magma?

I've noticed most materials melt into magma by default if no other liquid form is available 

Correct, Oxygen -> Oxylite (Puft) -> Magma (melting above 1410C) -> Igneous (cooling below 1410C) -> Sand (Rock Crusher)

I was working on a prolog program for a bit to tell you different ways of getting one material from another, but haven't really polished it up.

Archived