[Game Update] - 324351

Guys, can someone explain me a little bit about what is this or link me somewhere I can read about it?

I don't have the game right now, and am feeling very confuse and curious.

I started playing after this was removed and I'd like to know how dupes acquire this sickness...

Floral scent? Sporechid germ? Zombie spores!?!? What are you guys talking about?:confused:

5 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

How do Dupes sniff anything without noses? Do they “taste” the air like snakes?

They have noses...it's just kept in hammerspace.

Sniff.png.52fb8f8bc5a147a2414c987f2da7e915.png

8 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Guys, can someone explain me a little bit about what is this or link me somewhere I can read about it?

I don't have the game right now, and am feeling very confuse and curious.

I started playing after this was removed and I'd like to know how dupes acquire this sickness...

Floral scent? Sporechid germ? Zombie spores!?!? What are you guys talking about?:confused:

Floral scent currently does nothing. It dies very quickly in literally everything: Gas, solids, liquids, and oxygen.

Zombie Spores existed for a brief time before being replaced by The Spores.

Sporechid emits Spore germs. You contract them by (AFAIK) simply being exposed to them. 

Left untreated it lasts 28 cycles, and gives a -10 debuff to all stats IIRC.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Sporechid emits Spore germs. You contract them by (AFAIK) simply being exposed to them. 

Left untreated it lasts 28 cycles, and gives a -10 debuff to all stats IIRC.

How likely is it to be contaminated? Sporechid is a plant or...? I don't know what is that...

I am a bit worried here because that advanced cure made from nymph egg + tugsten is very expensive and not easy at all to stockpile those pills.

7 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

How likely is it to be contaminated? Sporechid is a plant or...? I don't know what is that...

I am a bit worried here because that advanced cure made from nymph egg + tugsten is very expensive and not easy at all to stockpile those pills.

Sporechid is a plant, it's found in the oil biome and is habitable only in carbon dioxide. 

evilflower.png.9c9530923cadca45f4cae0bf9c0719f0.png

The likeliness to be infected is the same as any other disease AFAIK. What I do know is that it takes ~1 cycle for miserable dupes to succumb to it.

• Thanks 1

I’ve never ventured into the oil biome without an atmo suit. Because it’s hot enough to scald unprotected dupes. So the Spores doesn’t sound like it’ll be a huge problem. Unless maybe the germs get on the outside of the suit and are still a threat after the Dupe takes the suit off?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I actually wonder how are dupes supposed to get infected by spores. The sporechid grows in the oil biome and it`s so hot there that you usually don`t apporach it without an exosuit. I`m pretty sure exosuits should prevent them from getting sick there.

51 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I’ve never ventured into the oil biome without an atmo suit. Because it’s hot enough to scald unprotected dupes. So the Spores doesn’t sound like it’ll be a huge problem. Unless maybe the germs get on the outside of the suit and are still a threat after the Dupe takes the suit off?

I'm guessing that whatever the zombie spores are it infects the materials you dig up in the biome  that are brought back to the base. 
Similar to when you dig up slimes, algae, clay, gold what has slimelungs on them.

I haven't tested the new plant yet so I can't tell.    

It could just be a temporary plant for now but could provide some benefit/products later?  food or resource for the next update. maybe there is a reason to domesticate the plant and then you end up with the spore zombie like  bristle blossoms.

suits do get infected and covered with slime lungs. so maybe the suits can get zombie spores coming back and spreading around the docking area.

Edited by RonEmpire
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

I'm guessing that whatever the zombie spores are it infects the materials you dig up in the biome  that are brought back to the base. 
Similar to when you dig up slimes, algae, clay, gold what has slimelungs on them.

As of this build, it doesn't. 

It sprays spores into the air, infecting any and all gasses.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I actually wonder how are dupes supposed to get infected by spores. The sporechid grows in the oil biome and it`s so hot there that you usually don`t apporach it without an exosuit. I`m pretty sure exosuits should prevent them from getting sick there.

It's my assumption that the sporechild will appear in one of the new biomes and that it's just been stuck in the oil biome for now so they can make sure it's ready when the game launches.

29 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Do you know what are the conditions to clean the enviroment? Temperature, etc?

Not without testing, and there's no information available in the Codex or game files.

Spoiler

public class ZombieSickness : Sickness
{
	public const string ID = "ZombieSickness";

public const int ATTRIBUTE_PENALTY = -10;

public ZombieSickness()
		: base("ZombieSickness", SicknessType.Pathogen, Severity.Major, 0.00025f, new List<InfectionVector>
		{
			InfectionVector.Inhalation,
			InfectionVector.Contact
		}, 10800f)
	{
		base.AddSicknessComponent(new CustomSickEffectSickness("spore_fx_kanim", "working_loop"));
		base.AddSicknessComponent(new AnimatedSickness(new HashedString[2]
		{
			"anim_idle_spores_kanim",
			"anim_loco_spore_kanim"
		}, Db.Get().Expressions.Zombie));

So you get infected with "Zombie" Spores through inhalation and contact. And it causes a -10 debuff to all stats.

Here's what I found about the technical stuff:

Spoiler

protected override void PopulateElemGrowthInfo()
	{
		base.InitializeElemGrowthArray(ref base.elemGrowthInfo, Disease.DEFAULT_GROWTH_INFO);
		base.AddGrowthRule(new GrowthRule
		{
			underPopulationDeathRate = 2.66666675f,
			minCountPerKG = 0.4f,
			populationHalfLife = 12000f,
			maxCountPerKG = 500f,
			overPopulationHalfLife = 1200f,
			minDiffusionCount = 1000,
			diffusionScale = 0.001f,
			minDiffusionInfestationTickCount = 1
		});
		base.AddGrowthRule(new StateGrowthRule(Element.State.Solid)
		{
			minCountPerKG = 0.4f,
			populationHalfLife = 3000f,
			diffusionScale = 1E-06f,
			minDiffusionCount = 1000000
		});
		SimHashes[] array = new SimHashes[2]
		{
			SimHashes.Carbon,
			SimHashes.Diamond
		};
		foreach (SimHashes element in array)
		{
			base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(element)
			{
				underPopulationDeathRate = 0f,
				populationHalfLife = float.PositiveInfinity,
				overPopulationHalfLife = 3000f,
				maxCountPerKG = 1000f,
				diffusionScale = 0.005f
			});
		}
		base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(SimHashes.BleachStone)
		{
			populationHalfLife = 10f,
			overPopulationHalfLife = 10f,
			minDiffusionCount = 100000,
			diffusionScale = 0.001f
		});
		base.AddGrowthRule(new StateGrowthRule(Element.State.Gas)
		{
			minCountPerKG = 250f,
			populationHalfLife = 12000f,
			maxCountPerKG = 10000f,
			minDiffusionCount = 5100,
			diffusionScale = 0.005f
		});
		SimHashes[] array2 = new SimHashes[3]
		{
			SimHashes.CarbonDioxide,
			SimHashes.Methane,
			SimHashes.SourGas
		};
		foreach (SimHashes element2 in array2)
		{
			base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(element2)
			{
				underPopulationDeathRate = 0f,
				overPopulationHalfLife = 6000f
			});
		}
		base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(SimHashes.ChlorineGas)
		{
			diffusionScale = 0.001f
		});
		base.AddGrowthRule(new StateGrowthRule(Element.State.Liquid)
		{
			minCountPerKG = 0.4f,
			populationHalfLife = 1200f,
			overPopulationHalfLife = 300f,
			maxCountPerKG = 100f,
			diffusionScale = 0.01f
		});
		SimHashes[] array3 = new SimHashes[4]
		{
			SimHashes.CrudeOil,
			SimHashes.Petroleum,
			SimHashes.Naphtha,
			SimHashes.LiquidMethane
		};
		foreach (SimHashes element3 in array3)
		{
			base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(element3)
			{
				overPopulationHalfLife = 6000f,
				maxCountPerKG = 1000f,
				diffusionScale = 0.005f
			});
		}
		base.AddGrowthRule(new ElementGrowthRule(SimHashes.Chlorine)
		{
			diffusionScale = 0.001f
		});
		base.InitializeElemExposureArray(ref base.elemExposureInfo, Disease.DEFAULT_EXPOSURE_INFO);
		base.AddExposureRule(new ExposureRule
		{
			populationHalfLife = float.PositiveInfinity
		});
		base.AddExposureRule(new ElementExposureRule(SimHashes.Chlorine)
		{
			populationHalfLife = 10f
		});
		base.AddExposureRule(new ElementExposureRule(SimHashes.ChlorineGas)
		{
			populationHalfLife = 10f
		});
	}
}

Now I have no idea what any of this means, so I'll enlist all of the smart people to decode and explain what the heck I'm looking at.

Edited by watermelen671
I'm an idiot and didn't know where to look. >.<
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spores seem to thrive in what you would usually find in the oil biome (diamond, carbon dioxyde, crude oil, sour gas, etc. etc.), and die off in the usual suspects, that is, chlorine and bleach stone. I don't see anything about temperature there.

Hey, I'm not really that good at the game but I'm having a crazy algea problem in the QoL MK3 beta.

Ran out of algae in the starting biome in 25-30 cycles just from using oxygen diffusers and no terrariums at all. Stopped at 8 dupes and have 2 oxygen diffusers running.

Cycle 40-50 and my only sources of algae are past slimelung and I'm having 2-3 dupes get slimelung infections every cycle while trying my best to only dig into it as little as possible to get some scraps of algae, so now the diffusers are pumping algae containing slimelung into my base :(

Edited by Aevum

40 minutes ago, Aevum said:

Ran out of algae in the starting biome in 25-30 cycles just from using oxygen diffusers and no terrariums at all. Stopped at 8 dupes and have 2 oxygen diffusers running.

Cycle 40-50 and my only sources of algae are past slimelung and I'm having 2-3 dupes get slimelung infections every cycle while trying my best to only dig into it as little as possible to get some scraps of algae, so now the diffusers are pumping algae containing slimelung into my base :(

not right place to post this but....use deodorizers and sweep all slime to compactor that has 1 tile of water immersion 

18 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

@Aevum Hey man, just obliterate the entire swamp. Dig everything out and you'll still be fine.  Slimelung only causes some sneezing and an ignorable debuff in QoL MK3. Have fun!

that is my issue with qol3.  rng means no reason to mitigate exposure and the impact of the disease is minimal such that you ignore the whole mechanic.  Spores dont even impact most dups, only tidy and supply.  your diggers can take spores with zero implications since is only strength debuff.  and advanced medicine take 100 cycles just to get the nymph eggs up and running

Edited by chemie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, chemie said:

that is my issue with qol3.  rng means no reason to mitigate exposure and the impact of the disease is minimal such that you ignore the whole mechanic.  Spores dont even impact most dups, only tidy and supply.  your diggers can take spores with zero implications since is only strength debuff.  and advanced medicine take 100 cycles just to get the nymph eggs up and running

I'm finding it difficult to offer meaningful feedback on the new diseases, medicines, and doctor stations because they're only partially implemented right now, and they may very well be placeholders.  Without seeing the bigger picture - the full ecosystem with the new biomes and all the new flora and fauna they bring with them - I can't say one way or the other if something does or doesn't work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

*Cough Cough* :wilson_wink:

But if not, make a debug colony, set it to miserable, and fill the oxygen with slimelung germs. They'll be infected in ~1 cycle.

Good point. And thanks for the reference, I do so enjoy seeing dupes suffering. Best feed them infected mush-bars in addition!

24 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Not just a strength debuff, it's -10 to ALL stats. 

I feel that, if that's the way they want to go for diseases (i.e., across-the-board penalties to skill levels), the skill level tooltip should get a bit of a rework so that it's more clear what the debuff means. For example, does a total skill ability of -10 just mean they can't perform that task anymore? 

28 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Not just a strength debuff, it's -10 to ALL stats. 

I saw where someone pulled the code and suggested that but the patch notes just say strength.  but also it has been pointed out exosuits in oil biome is a must so I suspect this is another ignore it

3 hours ago, chemie said:

---

Sorry if it's the wrong place but I used to be able to last til cycle 50-60 with starting algae without having to go into slimelung areas so I'm not sure if I just got a weird seed, or if I'm doing something wrong this base, or if it's due the update.

I guess I'll just soak in the diseases then since the dupes aren't dying form slimelung anymore? They just get -stats and coughing but stay alive?

7 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Floral scent currently does nothing. It dies very quickly in literally everything: Gas, solids, liquids, and oxygen.

Maybe it`s useful to keep it as a sort of buffer that keeps other germs away. It causes minor problems and dies off quickly but other germs can`t occupy the same space. When the update goes live i`ll try to keep slimelung in check with buddy bud at each entrance instead of a deodorizer.