Most Unfair Deaths In Don't Starve

i dont know how exactly the coding of the game allowed that to happen, but at the night of day 20 the hound announcement happened and i was going to just kill them in the base. the day passed, it was day 21 and the hounds started to spawn, and a fire one appeared for some reason and i killed it without even noticing

not really a death but i'd rather have died

18 hours ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

So the lesson I was supposed to take from that was... don't walk with a torch early-game?

It’s SOP to try to map the edges early on by walking them with a torch through the night, but one time I almost missed a walking cane set piece that way—dawn came before I passed it— so I always reveal map during the day.

i was once killed by darkness ... 0.5 second later it became dawn.

another time, in hamlet, I was being chased by rapid beetles. I was insane, and snaptooths everywhere. I was killed ... but had equipped a life-giving amulet. what's great about a life-giving amulet Is that it makes mobs around you sleep after getting revived.
snaptooth sapling wakes up immediately after me getting revived, and kills me.

another time in hamlet, as webber, I was killed by ROC, but was revived by life-giving amulet. immediately after I was revived, a pig guard kills me.

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

I did. The game turns to black and switches to the next game in single player. Wilba isn't in DST.:wilson_ecstatic:

Actually, the yawning animation isn't even in DS if I think about it.
Only way to check would be to part her build and TEX with the animations from DST.
She has sprites for it, but it's used for sneezing. 

I'll see if I can grab that animation later, might be worth looking into, actually!

20 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

my unfair deaths are:

dying to a frog because of lag

dying to a pig because of lag

dying to a tallbird because of lag

dying to a nightmare creature because of lag

dying to bunnymen because of lag

dying to hounds because of lag

dying to spiders because of lag

and dying to pretty much anything else that can hurt me, because of lag.

You forgot dying to tentacles because of lag

Yeah...I feel really dumb about typing that now, Minespatch.  :  P  I even went back and edited for grammar and typos, but I STILL didn't catch the illogic of that...

And yeah, the yawning animation isn't in DS.  Which is exactly why weird screenshots like this happened:

giantthrowdown.png.245eff141c60eae74a198cd5ca609a1e.png

This is in DST, using a mod I can't use anymore (something to do with the new code put in for The Forge killed it) called "Willow the Unnerfed" (the very first mod I ever downloaded, and, in fact, the reason I started using mods at all!) which not only makes Willow  in DST _like_ her singleplayer version, but...kinda IS the singleplayer version ported over.  Hence, why she turns into Slenderwoman when she yawns--the face animations don't exist for that at all in DS.

(The ORIGINAL reason I took this picture was to show a spontaneous giant throwdown in the rain; SlenderWillow was just a weird bonus.  And of course this is ALSO happening right near the Bee Queen, because WHY NOT.  And as you can see from all the cooked frog legs in my inventory, we _also_ also recently had a frog rain.  Ah, spring!)

And to go with my previous post, about how unfair the Antlion used to be...

sinkholeshenanigans1.png.4bc43757e62e022240225090d12614ba.png

This was without any sandstorm slowdown, and the sinkholes chasing me around caused THIS MUCH damage.  Yes, it's summer on Day 27.  Like I said, not everyone does seasons the same way.  (And in regular DS this wouldn't be all that odd, as there are TWO default starting seasons and one of them is spring.)  I of course went and stood in the middle of the sinkhole on purpose afterwards for this picture, but...seriously look at that heart.  Ouch.

(wear armour?  First off, it used to not give you as much warning, secondly I dun wanna leave my backpack behind in random locations!  What if the sinkholes happen to chase me right through tentacles or the Dragonfly's lair, and I have to tiptoe super slowly back through _that_ to reclaim my stuff?  Not happening.)

And yes, that's my typical way of getting through the summer when I don't have a fling-o yet--go nomadic and make double campfires at night, one for cooking food and one for not dying of heat.  Heh.  It's actually not that bad if you're careful with supplies--you get to see the world WHILE your camp isn't burning down!  :D  I'm kinda used to going nomadic in general now anyway, since the first chapter of the Civilization Challenge requires you to do that for an entire year.

(also I just noticed I'm wearing a Year of the Gobbler outfit in that pic, lol.  Or, well, a Year of the Whatever outfit, but this would've been early 2017 specifically.)

LATER THAT SAME SUMMER...

sinkholeshenanigans2.png.71ac96677922614ceaf6fae90bff2e7b.png

GODDAMMIT I was literally_ on my way_ with your birthday present, jerkface!

...Notorious

If it's unfair deaths we're talking about here, then I could trump ALL of your stories with the ones I have. I'll make a different section for each one.

Spoiler

It was the end of Summer and I was preparing to go down into the Ruins. I had managed to amass 20 Gunpowder, 40 Jerky, 20 Honey Poultices, 3 Log Suits, 3 Football Helmets, 1 Walking Cane, 1 Miner Hat, 40 Fireflies, 1 Deerclops Eye, 3 Dark Swords, 1 Piggyback, along with the basic necessities like Logs, Grass, Twigs, Gold and Rocks (What? It was only my second time going into the Ruins. OF COURSE I over-prepared.). I happened to be playing as Webber, which for a while played to my advantage due to the EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF SPIDERS in the Ruins. So I went down, made my way to the nearest Ancient Pseudoscience Station (Which, by the way, there are MANY of. For some reason, everyone thinks there can only be 2, but in this particular run I found 5 without even exploring half the map.), made a Thulecite Crown, and made my way to the Ancient Guardian. For the "Final Boss", it really was a pushover. Anyway, after I killed the Guardian, I regained some Health with my Poultices and some Sanity with my Jerky. I really don't know why I even bothered refilling Sanity, because I ended up going into the Sacred Biome to gather some Nightmare Fuel. So I spent the next 3 in-game days frantically running in circles, avoiding the STAMPEDES of Crawling Horrors. But the 3 stacks of Nightmare Fuel I accumulated over that period were worth it. I decided that it was time to head back to the surface, so I lured out some Depths Dwellers to bring with me. I had 2 stacks of Monster Meat left over from killing Depths Worms, so I figured that I should put it to some use. Once I had gathered about 80 eight-legged minions (LITERALLY. 80.), I started heading for my base. Winter was approaching, and I didn't really want to get caught freezing beneath the earth. So I make it about halfway to the exit, and I didn't notice the cliff that was approaching. I end up running into it, so I really do look stupid as I'm just running against the edge of the land. Then I here a sound that sends chills up my spine. A Bunnyman. Being Webber, I'm obviously scared half to death of those things, so I panicked. I tried to send my Spider Army after it, but it was too late. I was mowed down by ONE Bunnyman. I managed to make it through the Guardian, Stampedes of Crawling Horrors and Hordes of Clockworks, but NOOOO. A Bunnyman? That's just too hard. Anyway, when my Effigy revived me on the surface, I decided to go back for all my loot. This is where it gets frustrating. There was a SINGLE Merm Hut in the Swamp on the way to the Caves. Long story short, the Merm kills me, and with no more revival items, the world that I worked so hard on is GONE. Just like that.

This just happened.

I was a Werebeaver, underground, at 1 HP (no joke, actually 1 HP), and I decided to ruins rush because it's a pub.

So, a Slurper saw me. I dodged to the side, but somehow it still hit me. RIP.

I then proceeded to get roasted in chat from dying to a Slurper.

Archived