Most Unfair Deaths In Don't Starve

While I feel the majority of deaths are fair in this game, although common, there's no denying that unfair deaths do happen, with us having little to no control.  The worst one of these I personally encountered was very unexpected:  I had been walking with a torch at night, 50 health, and walked into a Clockwork Bishop.  I survived the first hit, but was unable to run away at that point, and would have taken a third had I not died after the second hit.  So the lesson I was supposed to take from that was... don't walk with a torch early-game?

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and how?

While it's not Don't Starve Together, and I did end up surviving (how I have no idea) it is a story from Don't Starve Shipwrecked.

At one point in the game I had to deal with: sharks, sea hounds, meteorites, dragoons, darkness, overheating, waves, low boat hp (had to stop and repair almost getting me killed) and one especially belligerent swordfish all within the span of about a quarter of a day.

Yeah I still don't know how I managed to live through that but it was insanely poor timing/luck.

DST:
One night, I returned from the hunt. I collected food and tools everyone needed, put some fire on the fire pit, and started to cook some food to heal myself. But suddenly an enemy spawned right next to me and killed me instantly...

Spoiler

My team (3-4 players) wanted to fight against the shadow setpieces but they only managed to complete the rook so far. So they smashed it during the new moon night and ran away shortly after because even tier 1 was too hard for them. So the rook looked for a new target which was me alone near the fire pit in the base.

HAM:
I was enjoying Hamlet and after some time I decided it might be worth it to fight against the Pugalisk. So I moved to the Pugalisk's island and started fighting against it. The Pugalisk was about to die, but I couldn't fight anymore. I lost my whole armor and had only 1 health left, so I decided to run away. With the last of one's strength, I managed to dodge any of the Pugalisks attacks while heading towards the exit, it was already within my sight! But then I was killed by "my" biggest enemy ingame shortly before I could escape.

Spoiler

I played as WX-78 and was killed by some rain which came right when I saw the exit.

Cave entrances and wormohole related deaths.

Went out of the caves with little to no health because I was a bit too greedy on spiders. 2 Merms and 2 Pigmen right outside of it, I got punched to death before I was even able to move.

this entire episode where i killed a Goose which strangely pursued me away from its' nest (it was a multi-Goose-nest-setpiece) and then came back to see its' moslings following another Goose.

Not wanting to miss out on more feathers i engaged the boss, which led to one of my most brutal and frustrating rollback sessions ever. Fighting eight moslings at the same time.... ugh.20190331153443_1.thumb.jpg.c6851cd810faa7a20fca7168337c41e4.jpg20190331153815_1.thumb.jpg.fa50f3748c527482eb53f197d94663b1.jpg20190331153822_1.thumb.jpg.70538e6ca0ad2e0f8ef455dcc99edf89.jpg

Rog:

Despite having 3 touch stones in rog, 2 Touch stones in Shipwrecked1 Magic flower in Hamlet i died in caves due to being outnumbered by rabbits.

It didn't respawn me. 

Shipwrecked:

At the end of a long and glorious battle with Sealnado a random terrorbeak sneaked up on me and finished me with one last strike. 

Then i resurrected from a touch stone, only to get massacred by lighting strikes 

Hamlet:

Brambles somehow caused BFB to land directly on me

They all happened when I got greedy.

1. I left my whole stack of cut grass to get back later while exploring and my stats were running thin. I had some cactus to cook though and it's not hard to get grass, so no problem I thought...just when I got enough grass for a campfire, hound wave came at night with 2 shadow creatures and starvation because I had no time to cook the cactus anymore.

2.Playing on a public server I saw a beefalo hat set piece just right there a few steps into the swamp and decided not to make a grass armor. Two well spawned tentacles jebaited me.

my unfair deaths are:

dying to a frog because of lag

dying to a pig because of lag

dying to a tallbird because of lag

dying to a nightmare creature because of lag

dying to bunnymen because of lag

dying to hounds because of lag

dying to spiders because of lag

and dying to pretty much anything else that can hurt me, because of lag.

I remember playing as Webber on a pub one time. I went down in the caves and alt-tabbed to look at steam or something while the game loads. I hear the game, I alt+tabbed back, and oh, there's a bunny two feet away from the cave entrance, rip me.

In DS with the maxwell survival chapters where you  go everyworld trough wormholes that time was a nightmare where i had unfair moment i jumped in wormhole and every side was killer bees that came and killed me instant with that annoying broken range of theirs. So yeah... i was pissed bec it was 3th chapter first 2 were already nightmarish hard.

Havent really had any "unfair" deaths in DST, but exploring ruins in Hamlet and getting machine gunned down by a shadow creature triggering a blowdart trap is one the most infuriating moments of my gaming career lol.

Hound attacks in a sandstorm.

To elaborate, there isn't always enough time to travel from fishing at the oasis to the edge of the desert where hounds can actually be kited. Even with a walking cane, the sandstorm slows the player enough that attacks from hounds cannot be dodged at all. You get stunlocked fast.

be me

Webber in hamlet

bats where coming so i put on shamlets and entered the village

it fogged and i had not crafted wood armor i couldn't equip a pith hat or football helmet or the pigs would kill me with the fog slowness

i had to walk at a snails pace i was being hit with pot shots from the bats while hoping that a guard would kill it

finally got inside a house around 11 hp got out after the bats had left literally got struck by fog lightning killing me instantly

Klei why did you think making people have to have 3 hats at the same time a good idea i hate Hamlets seasons because all they need is one hat and as Webber you need to have the shamlets on

buff Webber this was completely unfair

Griver:  I've TOTALLY done the "hit the wrong button" thing myself, too...in fact, it was a bit worse with me, 'cos I was up to Chapter 3 or so of my "March of Civilization" challenge and it was like Day 384 or something like that.  ARGH.  So, don't feel too bad about that one--it's really freaking easy to do.

Also the "Oh, that's a terrible time for that to happen!" is THE MAIN REASON I DON'T PLAY WOLFGANG!  The way that animation slows you down and _doesn't_ give you a few immunity frames while it's happening is bad enough with hounds!  But while being chased by tons of horrible little blendermouthed monkeys in the dark?  No thank you.  (Yeah yeah yeah I know "It's super easy to just be full all the time, what's wrong with you, git gud!"  Sigh. Also I just lost a few brain cells forcing myself to type that.)  I HATE that shrinking animation.  Even when nothing's going on at the moment, it always kinda startles the beejeebers out of me.

Anyway actually unfair deaths...hmm.  Well, I'd say the main one (or two, or three) that occurs to me right now is during the early days of the Antlion, on the beta branch, before they tweaked it.  The sinkholes used to "chase" you DEFINITELY faster than they do now--faster than regular walking speed--your character gave you at least one less warning, and at full wrath (at default settings) it used to be FIVE sinkholes per tantrum rather than three.  I also still think it's ridiculous that the Antlion can be mad at you _when you haven't even met it yet_.  I get it, I get it, it's based off of the volcano mechanic from Shipwrecked. But here's the thing:  The Volcano is a force of nature that goes off when it goes off; the Antlion is an at least somewhat sentient being with emotions.  If you've never seen each other, how does it even know that there is someone out there TO give tribute who isn't doing so?  Let alone knowing exactly where you are and tracking the sinkholes to your movements.

My semi-joking headcanon is that those little moleworm bastards must be its underground (ba-DUM-tish!) spy network and snitching on me, but in the ACTUAL game it's never explained, other than "we wanted a volcano-like mechanic".  Add to that the fact that not everybody sizes their world, sets their season lengths, explores the right direction in time or even plays with or without friends the same way, and...yeah.  Not everyone finds the Antlion's desert by the time the first summer hits.

It's better than it used to be and I'd like to think it was exactly those complaints (it's too fast, there's not enough warning, blah blah) by players like me and others that got it tweaked, but MAN.

Adventure Mode is a whole other kettle of fish, but I feel that's MEANT to feel like the Game Master is deliberately out to murder the party.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Most unfair was me not realizing Beargers don't yawn in single player, so Wilba made the bearger go into town thanks to my ignorance...

My friend described it as "Hamlet's godzilla".

you made a hamlet city in RoG? 

...couldn't you have just debugged in a sleeping roll?

;)

(I kid, I assume there was a reason why not at the time.)

Wow, Bearger + pig village...now I'm remembering that stupid story that happened to me way back in my (pre-DST-playing) singleplayer days.  But that one wasn't so much unfair as me misjudging distances and not remembering stuff that happened way earlier, so...  The game was well within its rights, technically...it just acted in THE most Murphy's Law way  possible, because Don't Starve.  : P

Spoiler

Okay, so earlier that summer I'd run into a pack of hounds that of course had some fire ones mixed in, and I left them behind in the beefalo herd I had to run through anyway to get back to my base.  Thought nothing more of it; I assumed the beefalo took care of them all.  Then, I was prepared that fall, and deliberately wandered around a very remote, deserted area with a pocket of 10 honey blobs (eww, sticky) waiting for the Bearger.  He showed up, plop honey down, yum, sleep.  (The fact that he DOESN'T work like that in Together took me by nasty surprise the first time!)  Walk away, everything's fine.

Next fall, I lose track of time a little bit and am right in the middle of a pig village in the birch forest when the ground starts shaking.  I do have the honey with me, so I whack the Bearger once to get him to chase me...but unfortunately, since my torch was running out and I was getting kinda desperate, I put him to sleep a hair too early--we weren't far enough away from the pig village yet.  All it took was one "YOU GO SMASH!" to wake the damn thing up.  And then, in the middle of the night, he set off...in exactly...the wrong...direction.  As in towards my base.  Aaand, no more torch, so I had to stay there by my campfire (I had grass and logs but not twigs) until morning.

Come the dawn, I chase him as fast as I can but Bearger's got a head start, and when I finally make it home I find that like literally NO STONE IS LEFT STANDING UPON ANOTHER.  I'm not kidding.  He trashed _everything_ in his quest to get all my food, not just the stuff that had food in it.  With Chester's help and many trips I pick up all the leftover resources I can--quite often from right under the sleeping Bearger's nose, mid-snore--and scuttle off looking for a new place to base.

Well, by the time I find a semi-decent location it's almost winter, and I'm not doing that great because hey, I...kinda lost all my food stores _and_ food-bearing plants?  (Not that they'd work in the winter anyway!)  Then...hounds.

I put on my new logsuit, the earmuffs that were all I could make on short notice and my thermal stone (and torch!) and run off into the night as well as I can, thinking to head for the beefalo...but what should I find on my way there but SOME OF THE OLD PACK FROM _TWO YEARS AGO_ that apparently the Beefs never finished off!

So...right after I thought I finally got my DS life picked back up again...I got killed by a mixed pack of ice AND fire hounds.  XD

The moral to this story?  Never leave old problems unsolved!  : P  But I can't really be mad at the game for this.  It WAS partly my fault, and it makes for a ripping good yarn. :D

I've told this story before, so I put it into spoilers to avoid taking up too much of the page with it.  But, it was a LONG time since the last time I told it, so there's a lot of newer people here who haven't heard it yet.  : P

Oh, and this isn't even my MOST epic/insane DS/T death.  But I'm not sure how "unfair" that one was either...there's bad luck, and then there's bad mechanics, which I think this thread is probably closer to being about.  So...

...Notorious

Archived