wilson rework?

4 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

This is a really 'eh' kind of change for Wilson, but one that I think makes sense gameplay and lore-wise, perhaps Wilson could be more perceptive to attacks. So bearger, deerclops, and hound alerts come like half a minute earlier than usual for him. This gives him a total team bonus, albeit a very specific one, and it also helps more inexperienced players prepare more for hound attacks so they can prepare. Just a minor suggestions, idk if it's really worthwhile.

i'd go further and make him predict frog rains

I thought about wilson a few days ago.. Here's my ridiculous ideas

Throwable flasks like napsack

You can make 3 kinds of flasks by mushroom caps

red one makes enemies movement and attack speed down

blue one makes allies movement speed faster

green one give additional armor points to allies

I really want his pros and cons built around his scientist's personality. His only pros being a magnificent beard seems quite off, and any further rework around beard hears won't fit his personality to me.

I suggest the beard thing must have been based on the stereotype of 19th century scientists with long beard. I'm not against the idea of using some stereotype related humors as being character's perks, but that old-time joke being his only perk just doesn't feel right.

If anyone remember how Research Points works in DS beta (which have been abandoned after the Insanity update), I really hope Klei could bring that function back to DST and make it exclusive to Wilson.

For people who didn't play DS before the Insanity update, here is how it worked:

You gave specific items to Science Machine/Alchemy Engine and you would get some Research Points based on how rare the items were.

For example, 1 berry gave 1 points while 1 mandrake gave 100 points.

The Research Points were used to unlock everything new recipes, and even a simple Crockpot needed 200 points to unlock.

It was indeed a frustrating experience to gather all the Research Points for every basic items, so it was soon replaced by the prototyping function. So I suggest we might tweak it a little bit to adjust our current meta. This is how I thought: 

Wilson is the only character that can give items to Science Machine/Alchemy Engine to gain Research Points. He can unlock any new recipes that requires Science/Magic tier anywhere, as long as he has enough Research Points.

Maybe he could even unlock boss related recipes without getting a blueprint (like Bundling Wrap, Mushlight, etc), but these recipes should need a good deal of points to unlock (probably 1000 points that need a heavy mount of basic resources turning into research points). It's just like how you gain those recipes from Hamlet's blueprint shop: Work, work and work until you can finally get them without fight the bosses.

With this perk:

1, Wilson can unlock any new recipes without prototyping it. This may change his early game plan effectively, so no need to pre-craft an Alchemy Engine with you when you're rushing ruins. When you're away from the base and you need something that's not prototyped? Just use your Science!

2, With recent update like Winona's catapults, I suggest Klei wants to make late-game content accessible to more players. And Wilson's role could fit this route for those luxury players who don't wanna an intense fight. Wanna a blueprint for Bundling Wrap but doesn't know how to fight the Bee Queen? Word hard for some game years to collect all the research points and you'll eventually get it. 

3, Most importantly, we finally could have a nice way to dealing our garbage. Just give them to Wilson, and let him throw all the garbage to Alchemy Engine for something useful!

Now, welcome our former scientist, new garbage men!

Wilson_Survivor_Skin_Portrait.png.fd10b989db2c078192e3cda864222e53.png

23 hours ago, Pab10Suarez said:

i always played wilson because he seem cool to me when i started, even i didn't read what should do the characters so i will happy with anything

But i don't hope to see some changes with wilson's beard because you can get beard hair of bunnymen too, i think we're gonna have new items something like crafts of beard hahaha

In lieu of what you said, I feel like changes to beard hair in general would buff Wilson, for example:

-Making Beard Hair harder to come by (such as lowering the drop rates on mobs that drop it)

-Make more recipes involve beard hair.

By making beard hair harder to come by, and making it more needed, Wilson suddenly has a purpose again.

Not sure how feasible it is, but a potion crafting system that's fairly randomized would be pretty fun and would acknowledge Wilson's (bad) mad scientist roots. There could be a dozen or so different types of potions, both helpful and harmful, and would require a lot of experimentation to figure out how to make each type. This would hopefully keep him the "neutral" character since consuming the potions to test them could have disastrous effects, but also give him a unique skill to bring to the party that acknowledges his backstory.

1 minute ago, Nolgore said:

Not sure how feasible it is, but a potion crafting system that's fairly randomized would be pretty fun and would acknowledge Wilson's (bad) mad scientist roots. There could be a dozen or so different types of potions, both helpful and harmful, and would require a lot of experimentation to figure out how to make each type. This would hopefully keep him the "neutral" character since consuming the potions to test them could have disastrous effects, but also give him a unique skill to bring to the party that acknowledges his backstory.

Wilson: hey Willow test this

Willow: *drinks*

Willow: *dies*

Wilson: … Huh.

I'm in favor of special healing items and tonics, already Wilson adds great sustain to the team via Meat Effigies and his skins (e.g. victorian) seem to imply this "doctor" idea. It would also be nice to have a team healer that can sort of substitute for the DLC character's insane healing abilities.

how about "Prototypes" actually are expanded upon? Prototypes make the item/structure function at 50% efficiency. This is made so to all characters except -

Wilson's prototypes automatically function at 100% (like in our current game build).

that way you buff wilson without actually doing anything to him.

On 08/04/2019 at 4:34 PM, Stonetribe said:

Whatever they do with Wilson though I really, really, hope that he can retain his status as the only character with no explicit downside. I love that aspect of him so if he does get buffs of some sort, I don't want them to be too strong to warrant changing that.

i have mixed feelings about this. this can either make him too strong or too weak depending on how they implement stuff, and even though he's the face of the game he's not the first character everyone has to play with anymore

if he's going to craft items or trigger effects i think it would be fitting for the character to have to sacrifice his own health, sanity and hunger for doing so. thats the best downside i can think of for him; so if you dont use his upsides, he'll not have downsides either, essentially making everyone happy

Wilson rework hmm...

I would like Wilson to be the only character capable of building a tier 3 crafting station being that he is the science whiz after all.

This "laboratory" will allow him to access repair kits for tools and  weapons, craft tier 3 tools like a moonstone pickaxe for example, and maybe a gear oven that allows for faster cook times than a crock pot.

People seem to mention him having a healing role in the group, but we already have Wortox for that.

As others had mention, he should have some perks that help new players, while providing something to the group. Maybe he can craft stuff using his beard hairs?

5 hours ago, RogueGamer12 said:

As others had mention, he should have some perks that help new players, while providing something to the group. Maybe he can craft stuff using his beard hairs?

I'm tickled by the idea of Wilson presenting helpful items made out of his own beard hair to his friends.

What if you could style Wilson's beard into a dapper variant that gives him a small passive sanity regen. It can just be a neater version of his current beard or a classy style like a French fork. Hopefully, it would look nicer with some of his fancy skins, as well. On the flipside, having an unkempt beard could give him a passive sanity drain. This would satisfy both camps of people on sanity: Those who believe that you should always be insane can use the unkempt beard, and those who find insanity annoying can style it. I think it makes sense within the games logic and fits pretty well with Wilson's character without changing his fundamental gameplay design substantially.

2 hours ago, EveryMansFool said:

What if you could style Wilson's beard into a dapper variant that gives him a small passive sanity regen. It can just be a neater version of his current beard or a classy style like a French fork. Hopefully, it would look nicer with some of his fancy skins, as well. On the flipside, having an unkempt beard could give him a passive sanity drain. This would satisfy both camps of people on sanity: Those who believe that you should always be insane can use the unkempt beard, and those who find insanity annoying can style it. I think it makes sense within the games logic and fits pretty well with Wilson's character without changing his fundamental gameplay design substantially.

but Max is the sanity regen char.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:21 AM, ModsterMash said:

I'm tickled by the idea of Wilson presenting helpful items made out of his own beard hair to his friends.

he will use his beard hair to tie up sea turtles and sail away from the island with their single shot pistol

3 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

he will use his beard hair to tie up sea turtles and sail away from the island with their single shot pistol

I feel like this is a reference to something.
Im going to take a shot in the dark and say Sea of Thieves?

Archived