Dreams of Gravitas

Figured I couldn't justify posting drawings of Gravitas employees in Dupe-a-Day. Even if they're very closely related.

For starters, here's how I imagine Director Stern.

stern.thumb.png.fa192005ec714ebdae9f97722a347575.png

GO TO YOUR OFFICE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE, JACKIE!

I've got a load of scribbles in my sketchbooks surrounding half-formed crackpot theories (my favourite passtime!) that'll probably be further developed in the future. Well, I call them theories, but the main one seems to be "what if the Gravitas facility was an office-themed sitcom". Which it probably was.

Spoiler

It should be noted that the title of this thread came from the song "Dreams of Eschaton" by Manilla Road. Which, when considering that "eschaton" basically means "end of the world", it's pretty appropriate.

The song in question: it's a long 'un.

Spoiler

And then everyone died terribly.

Here we have an everyday morning at the facility, featuring Nikola, Lindsay, Turner, and Abe.

hallwayscene.thumb.png.03a3c6773860bd1149d8f88e83b0e11e.png

Every single time I was working on optimistic looking Abe to the right there, I would zoom out and see Nikola and get a good chuckle. Every time. Tired grumpy Nikola is exactly the Nikola we need and deserve.

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

What caused you to draw Abe in suit and bowtie?

Well, Abe and Nikola are just palette-swapped versions of one another, so the task is to differentiate them as much as possible while trying to remain at least mostly true to their dupe design.

Firstly is the hair--Nikola's spikes go upwards while Abe's go backward. Pretty superficial and not really enough to distinguish them. Nikola morphed into a tired professor looking guy in my sketchbook, so Abe needed to be decidedly not that. He looks a bit like a greaser here (tried to make him a lot younger, and willing to have more cosmetic alterations done), but another thought I had was well, Abe's silver spiked hair makes him look like someone who puts a lot of effort into physical appearance, so maybe he's the office's overdressed guy.

Then I realised that he looks like he's coming in for a job interview, which is great, because then Nikola is foreshadowing what Abe will become.

Abe is probably a bit overdressed for the interview too, but let him be him, okay.

Okay, I had the idea months ago and was like "I'll do that when out of school" and so...

I forgot the better punchline and made an inferior one. But I remembered it now!

elevatorwoes_no_longer.thumb.png.6224cb3ddb32839a84c2c9692c697936.png

WHADDUP MY MAIN MAN NIK HOW YA DOIN FAM GOOD TO SEE YA

Both of them would have a stroke if they knew.

This brings to my attention that I need to up my lettering game... Drawing Comics the Marvel Way, perhaps?

Tried importing ONI material textures into Clip Studio Paint mainly to see if I could. They are awesome, but I can only justify using them for fanart (ONI or ONI-adjacent). Here we are with a glamorous pre-annihilation Joshua.

megafantabulous.thumb.png.ef46f693205fccf39dacc554af8eace4.png

Insulated wall for the background and salt for his tie.

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So Joshua printed had cleaner hair?

Nah. I dunno. I was trying to be quick with this drawing. Also back in college I walked past a random dude in the hall who immediately stuck me as the perfect Joshua model, except I saw him for about one second maybe and never again. So I try to capture the curly hair fringe he had to little avail.

Okay. Altered the strategy a bit as well as realising one of the things that irritated me so much was the oversaturated colour of the background. It was too dissonant with the more muted colours of the characters.

Anyway, Ellie always struck me as a pencil skirt woman.

pencilskirtderision.png

On 8/21/2019 at 4:03 AM, ResettePlayer said:

Here we are with a glamorous pre-annihilation Joshua

He's still a precious bean, just less bean shaped >u<

On 8/22/2019 at 5:53 AM, ResettePlayer said:

Gravitas invented a machine that could print half decent meals with incredible ease, but the break room still has the same cheap microwave and toaster that have been there for the past 16 years.

@watermelen671 I found out where Joshua got his jam XD

51 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

@watermelen671 I found out where Joshua got his jam XD

Oh, well I was going with the blood of sacrificed critters but yeah that makes more sense. :wilson_ecstatic:

Spoiler

Plot Twist: Joshua is actually an Aztec God and requires regular blood sacrifices in order to keep the colony alive.

That's why nobody's ever able to curse around him...he's a literal God. :wilson_curious:

Archived