What's your Willow Refresh Wish list?

4 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

Allow her to cook on burning structures.

Hide contents

(what do you want, it's fire)

Unironically this just works. I wouldn't mind this.
Heck, being able to cook on anything that's on fire.

I can see it now, a low hunger Willow and a full Wilson sitting alone in the dark.
Suddenly Willow sets Wilson ablaze to cook berries.
It just works.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Allow her to also cook on a burning Wes. Not the other characters mind you, only wes's make up produces a fire intense enough

Actually, everyone should be allowed to set Wes on fire.

1 hour ago, Terra M Welch said:

Make her lighter infinite if only held by a willow, that's just an idea of mine. It'll wear out if held by anyone else.

As it is, the infinite lighter is best for Willow’s sanity gain and Willow’s lighter cooking ability, the small light radius makes it undesirable for everyone else.

Another idea that crosses my mind fairly frequently when thinking about potential Willow improvements would be to change the way that she gains sanity from fire. What if instead of gaining sanity over time from being near flames, it's the initial igniting of a fire that gives an instant boost to sanity? The amount of sanity gained would vary depending on what she sets on fire, with things like stacks of items that can be stored in the inventory giving less while stuff like trees will give more.

Some other aspects about Willow might need to be changed to make this work in an optimal way, but I just never thought that standing next to a fire with nothing to do other than wait for your sanity to replenish was an especially fun thing to do.

29 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

Another idea that crosses my mind fairly frequently when thinking about potential Willow improvements would be to change the way that she gains sanity from fire. What if instead of gaining sanity over time from being near flames, it's the initial igniting of a fire that gives an instant boost to sanity? The amount of sanity gained would vary depending on what she sets on fire, with things like stacks of items that can be stored in the inventory giving less while stuff like trees will give more.

Some other aspects about Willow might need to be changed to make this work in an optimal way, but I just never thought that standing next to a fire with nothing to do other than wait for your sanity to replenish was an especially fun thing to do.

With fire immunity, sanity would be easy to gain but setting a side a group of trees, and burning them for charcoal periodically.

Currently you can also build a tight circle of fire pits and cold fire pits, the sanity gain is massive, but so is the rock investment.

Let her extinguish flaming objects/structures with her bare hands the way other characters can extinguish smoldering objects/structures with their bare hands, but it costs her Sanity since she doesn't like doing it.

Doubles as a convenient way to induce insanity deliberately.

4 hours ago, Swanky Psammead said:

Let her extinguish flaming objects/structures with her bare hands the way other characters can extinguish smoldering objects/structures with their bare hands, but it costs her Sanity since she doesn't like doing it.

From firestarter  to firefighter.

8 hours ago, Swanky Psammead said:

I think that makes sense. But it wouldn't be a good main point to make her stand-out. It'll save trees in Winter and some things in summer/spring, also smoldering is turned off by many players. I said it in an other post: there aren't many things that can set things on fire but the obligatory fire hounds and these aren't a real treat if you use an unflammable trap field. I really wish Willow won't be a situational fire extinguisher. 

I'd just like to make a point that I made on a previous post about one issue I hope Klei considers. With the current ease of switching characters at the relatively cheap cost it would be concerning if Klei dumped a lot of Willow's rework into Bernie, and to a lesser extent the lighter.

Either the rework for Bernie/Lighter likely wouldn't be enough to make a difference or it'd make Willow a potential "swap" character, a term I coined for characters used solely for their items/structures and not actually played (think of Winona farms for example).

I haven't seen much issue with that in this thread, most suggestions are for actual mechanics for Willow (which are significantly better than item buffs), just something to consider is all.

Also as a disclaimer I'm not suggesting Klei shouldn't rework Bernie or the Lighter, in fact I'd be fine with it, just that the primary focus of the rework is on making Willow a more fun character mechanically.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I'd just like to make a point that I made on a previous post about one issue I hope Klei considers. With the current ease of switching characters at the relatively cheap cost it would be concerning if Klei dumped a lot of Willow's rework into Bernie, and to a lesser extent the lighter.

Either the rework for Bernie/Lighter likely wouldn't be enough to make a difference or it'd make Willow a potential "swap" character, a term I coined for characters used solely for their items/structures and not actually played (think of Winona farms for example).

I haven't seen much issue with that in this thread, most suggestions are for actual mechanics for Willow (which are significantly better than item buffs), just something to consider is all.

Also as a disclaimer I'm not suggesting Klei shouldn't rework Bernie or the Lighter, in fact I'd be fine with it, just that the primary focus of the rework is on making Willow a more fun character mechanically.

There's also the simple fix of making said items usable only by their respective characters. ;)

What if the light aura of Willow's lighter changed based on her sanity? Like if crazy, it's light aura is much bigger, like a campfire. Maybe even with limited warming and sanity regeneration effects (which would diminish as she got saner). The lighter could be refueled with nightmare fuel, implying a magical cause for this effect, which would only happen when wielded by Willow. This would give her some extra utility in the ruins, or in winter. Not sure if this is OP or UP, don't play Willow much so I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, Nolgore said:

What if the light aura of Willow's lighter changed based on her sanity? Like if crazy, it's light aura is much bigger, like a campfire. Maybe even with limited warming and sanity regeneration effects (which would diminish as she got saner). The lighter could be refueled with nightmare fuel, implying a magical cause for this effect, which would only happen when wielded by Willow. This would give her some extra utility in the ruins, or in winter. Not sure if this is OP or UP, don't play Willow much so I have no idea.

This would make her an okay pick for Ruins Rushing, since it saves time getting a lantern AND light bulbs.

This is probably a not so popular opinion considering how popular things like the pryokinesis theory are, but I've always sort of liked the idea of Willow's fire related abilities remaining vague/unexplained since a human being obviously can't normally be immune to the harmful effects of fire and such. ^_^

3 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

This is probably a not so popular opinion considering how popular things like the pryokinesis theory are, but I've always sort of liked the idea of Willow's fire related abilities remaining vague/unexplained since a human being obviously can't normally be immune to the harmful effects of fire and such. ^_^

Anythings possible if you build up an immune system for it.

Hey wait this isn't facebook

• willows lighter can be used as a crafting material with the fire staff to create a staff that works similarly to the forges meteor calling staff. (Craftable in ruins)

• willow can use bernie as a crafting material with a gear to craft a cheerful bernie. Cheerful Bernie dances happily and players within range gain a large sanity boost until bernie runs out battery.

• willow can use bernie as a crafting material with a thermal stone to create burnie. This extra insulated thermal stone allows for longer lasting warmth and a larger thermal light radius. :D

17 minutes ago, Chaosky said:

• willows lighter can be used as a crafting material with the fire staff to create a staff that works similarly to the forges meteor calling staff. (Craftable in ruins)

• willow can use bernie as a crafting material with a gear to craft a cheerful bernie. Cheerful Bernie dances happily and players within range gain a large sanity boost until bernie runs out battery.

• willow can use bernie as a crafting material with a thermal stone to create burnie. This extra insulated thermal stone allows for longer lasting warmth and a larger thermal light radius. :D

Nice, Beefing up bernie and having more uses for him would be cool. Since everyone is talking Perks. I'll say a few downfalls

• Willow takes increased damage from cold. HP and Sanity drain drastically.
  • When Cold or Wet, Willow's movement speed & Damage is decreased.
  • Willows lighter is no longer craftable and is a signature item.

The number one thing I think that would tie Willow's gameplay and characterization together would be to give her some incentive to set things on fire outside of gaining sanity.  The best way I can figure out how to do this is to give her several unique recipes that primarily require things like ash, charcoal and gunpowder.

For instance, what if Willow could use ash and charcoal she gains from burning things to cast some fire based spells, such as creating a will-o-wisp that hovers around her and provides light, freeing up an equipment slot that would normally be used to equip a regular light source, or using the same materials to instantly raise her temperature, which would be incredibly useful in winter for saving time that would normally be spent warming up by a fire?  Perhaps using gunpowder and something like rope and papyrus, Willow could craft a firework that when used, flies into the air, lights up a large area, and puts a temporary marker on the map that all players can see?  If used underground, the firework could immediately start an earthquake.

Perhaps another purely passive perk that Willow could have would be to cause nearby fire pits to burn brighter and longer, making her a good pick if you want to save fire fuel for other purposes, or letting her pick up items that are smoldering or on fire with no health penalty.

Archived