Hey, what about the WX revamp? (Rework ideas)

I think the idea of healing only with gears and doodads is great but a big problem with the character is that he consumes too many gears with no way of recovering them, maybe they could make it so he can drop the  some of the gears he has eaten when he gets wet or overcharged, and he would lose health when this happens.

Okay so after hearing what some other people think, I'm feeling a little more confident at taking a stab at suggesting a WX-78 refresh. I've been giving it some thought and this is what I came up with.

Upgrading With Gears: Firstly, I was thinking that it might not hurt to change both WX's starting and maximum stats when upgraded. Maybe something like 120 for all three stats when starting out and let's say, 300 health, 200 hunger, and 250 sanity at max? This would make him a bit weaker while starting out while also toning down his previously massive potential health. As for upgrading with gears, what if it worked a little differently? Instead of consuming a gear to permanently increase his stats and gain large amounts of health, hunger, and sanity on the spot. I had this idea where he would have an additional dedicated "gear" slot in his inventory. If you place a gear in it, his max stats will gradually increase (Sorry I haven't thought up exact values in between the minimum and maximum stats) over the course of about a day. Likewise, if you remove a gear from this slot, his max stats would gradually lower at the same rate. You wouldn't have to wait until a single upgrade finishes before adding or removing another, you'd be free to store the maximum amount of gears needed to fully upgrade and remove them from this slot as you'd please. Speaking of which, perhaps that maximum amount required to fully upgrade could be reduced from 15 to 10? Additionally, if you would die with gears in the upgrade slot, you wouldn't actually lose any of them permanently, though your max stats would be set back to the minimum upon being revived. So if you retrieve them, you'll still have to wait for your upgrades to fully take affect again.

System Overload: I've seen people suggest that WX be able to trigger his system overload somehow via using a lightning rod before, and I think that would be a great way to give him the ability to access it without relying on there being a Wickerbottom or by using the costly Telelocator Staff/Focus. My spin on it would be to allow WX to craft a special battery pack out of say, 1 electrical doodad, 1 cut stone, and one gear. How it'd work is that he would be able to simply attach it onto a lightning rod and if it get's struck, it will charge it up. He could then remove it and use it as a consumable item to trigger his overload. We may need some way of discouraging players from easily farming them though, like maybe if an already charged battery pack is still attached to a lighting rod when it gets struck a second time it breaks and you lose the resources used to craft it.

My overall goal with these two ideas were decrease the chances of a WX player eating up all the gears before other players could use them to make a sufficient amount of ice boxes and flingomatics, as they still receive the benefits of upgrades while being able to part with their precious gears at any time while also making his maximum upgraded stats a little less pronounced in general. Additionally, I still wanted gears to be made useful after you were fully upgraded even without the ability to just munch on them as a limited but powerful super food, which is why I included them in the recipe for the battery pack.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:34 AM, Osbalop said:

I think the idea of healing only with gears and doodads is great but a big problem with the character is that he consumes too many gears with no way of recovering them, maybe they could make it so he can drop the  some of the gears he has eaten when he gets wet or overcharged, and he would lose health when this happens.

I uh... HHhmmm...

What you're saying is that he eats gears, and poops them out when he's wet or overcharged.
This means either A: He's eating his robot byproduct.
Or B: players are making structures with his robot byproduct.

Actually, this is the kind of humor Original DS might go for, huehuehue.

How about being able to sifer electricity from lighting rods for minor benefits? Not overcharge, but some sanity and maybe hunger.

I'd rather him have to craft upgrades requiring different things that give him more meaningful upgrades.I'm not into the STAT MONSTER aspect of his upgrades and find it severely limiting his potential.

Say for example a "cooler" that makes the first section of slots in his inventory refrigerated. One that gives him a personal backpack that doesn't take up chest piece allowing for armor but less extra slots. Death could make him lose a upgrade at random that will need rebuilt. Stuff like that.

Archived