Hey, what about the WX revamp? (Rework ideas)

Yeah, everyone's talking about how the under-rated characters (Willow, Woodie) are getting their reworks done very soon and talking about that, but let's flip the board around and talk about one of the OP characters, WX-78, and how it can be reworked.

What are your thoughts on possible revamps that can make our favorite narc of a robot fun to play? I personally can't wait for an excuse to main WX again.

One of the ideas I had for a rework is to allow WX to truly customize *all* of his stats, in the sense that you can raise a certain stat, costing another stat to be lowered. Of course it'd cost items to raise and lower stats. You could possibly:

-Raise your basic 3 stats (at the cost of lowering a different stat)

-Give yourself a natural insulation bonus (at the cost of increased hunger drain)

-Increase your movement speed (at the cost of max health)

-Increase your natural damage resistance (at the cost of movement speed)

For decent downsides for WX, I think of something along these lines:

-WX gains a small amount of sanity when killing organic creatures. (It becomes an obstacle if you're trying to be insane.)

-WX loses a large amount of sanity when killing clockwork creatures (It basically ensures that you are insane when you are in the ruins, which is practically the only place in the game where you do not want to be constantly insane.)

I'd love to hear thoughts about a possible WX rework, so don't be afraid to share below.

(Also, yes, I'm aware of the "WX Upgrade Overhaul" mod, said mod was the inspiration for this.)

I think WX is a well rounded character as he is and more importantly, thematically cohesive. 

Imo his rebalance should be more about how he interacts with other mechanical creatures or cool new structures. 

Increasing his stats pretty much defies the purpose of upgrading and imo already the downsides for upgrades are pretty clear when he dies. 

It certainly is interesting to think about what they'll do with the characters that everyone agrees to be the strongest, isn't it? I've thought about WX in particular, but I'm pretty certain that most of those ideas are pretty bad so I'll save everyone the trouble and keep them to myself. XD

I made myself some ideas months ago and I'd like it if players had the ability to costumize their WX by eating different items.

Reduce the amount of max upgrades from 15 to 6. Fully upgraded a WX-78 should refuse other upgrades.
Every upgrade should drop in case of death.
WX-78 should start with low stats (Every stat set to 128, 100 or 96) but with 1x Gears in inventory for beginners.

• Gears: Not that common unless when being in the ruins but the old players experiences about that item shouldn't be broken.
    • Increases max Health, Hunger and Sanity by 2-3 times as much as before, doesn't restores any additional Health, Hunger or Sanity.
  • Electrical Doodad: Easy to obtain (3x Rocks, 2x Gold) especially in early game, only mine 1-2 gold viens to get enough ressources.
    • Increases max Sanity and grants about +1.33 Sanity per min (It becomes hard to manage Sanity with too much max Sanity in case of if your Sanity drops down to 0)
  • Volt Goat Horn: Tool which only supports fighting so far, gained by fighting.
    • Increases max Health and grants +5% damage dealt.
  • Frazzing Wires: Obtainable by Graves, Tumbleweed, or broken Clockworks.
    • Increases max Hunger and grants +5% movement speed.
  • Bee Mine: Mindless drones stored in a mighty robot.
    • Increases max Health and reflects 20 damage back to the attacker.

Other Upgrades might be craftable by using different items.

These ideas will definetly hurt players who are rushing ruins with WX-78 because they won't be able to use gears anymore to restore their Health, Hunger and Sanity but players who don't know anything about the ruins yet and don't have the chance to find 20 gears for their journey could enjoy WX-78 better than before.

wx-76 (and the "holy trinity" in general) is a character that only needs tweaks in their down sides, if anything. changing for the sake of change would be a waste of already good ideas; but thats just my opinion of course

Ask me and he does need a nerf, being probably the best late game character, but just an overhaul overall too, the whole gear mechanic is not very good for people who want to pop in and play for an hour.  Gears could act as an extremely good food regardless though, and he could get something new, like being able to reconstruct clockworks on the surface.

I dont consider myself privy enough to give detailed ideas, I only think that whatever the revamp is, part of it will be something that benefits a team. Which would be funny considering they hate everyone (Winona slightly less)

7 hours ago, Viktor234 said:
  • Volt Goat Horn: Tool which only supports fighting so far, gained by fighting.
    • Increases max Health and grants +5% damage dealt.
  • Bee Mine: Mindless drones stored in a mighty robot.
    • Increases max Health and reflects 20 damage back to the attacker.

These ideas will definetly hurt players who are rushing ruins with WX-78 because they won't be able to use gears anymore to restore their Health, Hunger and Sanity but players who don't know anything about the ruins yet and don't have the chance to find 20 gears for their journey could enjoy WX-78 better than before.

You mean what with those: eat volt goat horns and bee mines?

For me your propositions translate into making WX a niche character with nothing really useful to it (yet maybe a bit more newbie-friendly)... like the "useless items" threads that pop in here now and then - unlike those you will have a "useless character" bringing to the table perks too negligible to matter as a whole. And, again in my case, would make me just gloss over it in selection screen as I was doing with old Winona.

A lot of simple reworks for WX could probably make him boring, as the Gear-Level-Up system just doesn’t work well for DST.  I think this perk should be removed, but he would need to get some really cool buff in return.  While he does need a nerf, I don’t think there’s any “Easy” way to do it, unlike Wortox and Wolfgang.

42 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

.. as the Gear-Level-Up system just doesn’t work well for DST.

Well.. take it like this: at what would we then use 40+ gears from ruins?

Most players camp in Oasis, thus no need for Flingos and even so majority don't build flingos (or more than 3-4 anyway) - I mean from the percentage of people playing at least till first summer, aka mid and mostly experienced players (once more, bulk of players in DST don't pass first Autumn, being casuals).

You could argue for use in Weather Pains vs Toad and FW but even so you don't need 40 of the suckers.

Fridge galore? Decorative Insulated Packs?!

Can also argue for lowering the drop-rate of gears in general from any source.. But really, all that just to nerf a character pretty much beloved by player-base cause.. "we need strict mechanical re-balance" ushered by... try-hards?!

Kinda tired to point this again and again yet: Klei is a company that needs profit. That profit comes from a growing player-base that also buys stuff. How can you make a growing player-base? By rising the skill cap/difficulty of the game seems the be the answer of try-hards. Yep, that would be an excellent strategy... I call it the "am shooting myself in the foot" strategy :rolleyes:

I think it would be neat if he could craft a single robot buddy (hopefully it doesn’t look exactly like him) that he could upgrade with gears instead eventually reaching his maxed out stats. Plus it would do around 50 damage per hit.

And it would be kewl if the robot got larger with more gears.

P.S. Is WX’s only downside that he takes damage from rain?!?

11 minutes ago, PriscaMitica said:

No, he also starts with pretty low stats, but you can easily upgrade yourself with Gears quickly enough.

Well, in the base game at least. In DST, his starting stats are equal to Wilson's except for sanity, which is 150 instead of 200.

1 minute ago, Stonetribe said:

Well, in the base game at least. In DST, his starting stats are equal to Wilson's except for sanity, which is 150 instead of 200.

Really? Wow, his only downside is that he takes 0.5 damage per second while wet? That's ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, PriscaMitica said:

Really? Wow, his only downside is that he takes 0.5 damage per second while wet? That's ridiculous.

No no, I meant that Wilson's (whose stats could be considered as the default values) max sanity is 200 while WX's is only 150. You're not wrong though, his downsides are extremely negligible, especially compared to his upsides.

The thing about him was his stats were adjusted for DST, and from my experience most players do not always base in the oasis, so that much is not normally true.  While the idea of a very weak character who becomes the strongest with time works wonderfully in DS, not really in DST, as this not only makes the character weak for beginners, but makes them the single best character for long term worlds, or one you might 'switch' to once you're good enough.  To change this, though, he would need a total rework, which is rather difficult.

More damage from rain. Lower starting stats.

No healing from food/items, only gears/doodads

Can craft Fabricator structure, basically a crockpot for mechanical items. Can convert rocks/flint/gold/etc into gears over an extended period of time.

Now WX is not an annoying gear vacuum in pubs, but gives a way to make gears renewable, which should help the less skilled players that never make it to the ruins.

I can't say I fully support this idea, but things like only healing from Doodads/gears seem very innovative, and I almost think something along those lines could work, though that makes him appear a bit too close to Wormwood, between the "Only heal with X" and the "Custom character related crafting" perks.

10 minutes ago, Nolgore said:

No healing from food/items, only gears/doodads

That's actually the only idea I would consider from all you said

13 minutes ago, Nolgore said:

Can craft Fabricator structure, basically a crockpot for mechanical items. Can convert rocks/flint/gold/etc into gears over an extended period of time.

Now WX is not an annoying gear vacuum in pubs, but gives a way to make gears renewable, which should help the less skilled players that never make it to the ruins.

Making gears renewable via crafting it's a bit OP and it makes no sense he can himself craft the thing that upgrades him. That kills the purpose of having to go looking for them.

4 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

I can't say I fully support this idea, but things like only healing from Doodads/gears seem very innovative, and I almost think something along those lines could work, though that makes him appear a bit too close to Wormwood, between the "Only heal with X" and the "Custom character related crafting" perks.

I agree that this change would make him extremely similar to Wormwood. He has a lot of quotes referring food and his character design specifically included the food feature so I really don't see that changing.

His character design also included him upgrading with gears though, and with how that works in DST, maybe some aspects of the old design should be changed/scrapped.  I'm not saying that he should heal with Doodads, but that Klei shouldn't be afraid to rework him from scratch.

something i wish the game would make it more obvious is how they can use lightning strikes in the game. for new players the overcharge perk probably sounds like something that will happen once in a lifetime because they dont know the sources of lightning strikes aside from rain, because the best sources of it are somewhat obscure. i dont know how that could change though, and i really like how this perk works and wouldnt like to see it going away. maybe if he could leech the charge from the lightning rods like some people already suggested in the past?

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Making gears renewable via crafting it's a bit OP and it makes no sense he can himself craft the thing that upgrades him. That kills the purpose of having to go looking for them.

Sorry, I just find myself clutching my gears on public servers whenever a WX joins lol.

As far as it being OP, I figured since gears being one of his only ways to heal would mean they'd have to be renewable in a way that didnt require endless tumbleweed farming.

If his upgrade item was something that had to be crafted with a gear + some other rare item (gem, wires, etc?) would that be more amenable?

I still want to stick on my idea to make WX-78 more a customizable Character rather than a normal character who gains too many stats & becomes too strong by eating gears.

So I tought about giving him the ability to craft modules which can be consumed to increase his stats.
Every module would require 3 Items:

• 1x Electrical Doodad (If that module is only increasing his max stats) or 1x Gears (If that module grants him additional abilities)
  • 1x random item which fits into the ability
  • 1x living animal or animal remains (Because he's soulless)

WX-78 could take a total of 6-8 Modules and drops all his modules in case of death. Another way to drop modules might be a Reset Module or just hammer yourself. To make crafting easier he could start with 1x Gears or 1x Electrical Doodad in his inventory.

• Health Module (1x Electrical Doodad, 1x Spider Gland, 1x Mosquito): +50 Max Health
  • Hunger Module (1x Electrical Doodad, 1x Pumpkin, 1x Pig Skin): +50 Max Hunger
  • Sanity Module (1x Electrical Doodad, 1x Nightmare Fuel, 1x Crow): +50 Max Sanity; +1.66 Sanity/min (Stacking your Max Sanity is pretty useless and hard to manage)
  • Speed Module (1x Gears, 1x ..., 1x Rabbit): +10% Movement Speed; +20% Hunger Drain if moving (Being faster requires more energy, also a reason to increase Max Hunger)
  • Damage Module (1x Gears, 1x Red Gem, 1x Volt Goat Horn / Red Bird): +10% Damage Dealt
  • Overcharge Module (1x Gears, 1x ..., 1x Canary): +50% Overcharge Duration

Hammering a Module could return the Gears or Electrical Doodad in case of if a WX-78 turned too many available Gears into Modules. And as soon as you get enough Gears, you might make yourself enough Modules for every situation and swap between these.

Starting with poor statistics isn't that bad for WX-78 because he's able to consume Stale/Spoiled food without penalties. That ability should act less as just a Trashcan-Ability in case of if there are any leftovers in the Ice Box but be used more to compensate his low stats.

Standard players might focus to stack on his Health, Hunger and Sanity just to make their life easier. Other players could ignore the fact, that his stats are pretty low, and focus to improve his abilities instead. Because low stats can be solved with Mushrooms or the proper food items.

Archived