The atomic art of Pop Guy

Pop Guy

Hello everyone! I am an amateur writer and sometimes I enjoy drawing what I talk about.
I usually only use rubber and pencil (but if you want to give me a graphic tablet I don't complain ;'D), I abound with shadows and I like to create vaguely squalid, grotesque or disturbing compositions, depending on the case.
DS, even before being a game, was of great artistic inspiration. I think I paradoxically appreciate it much more for art than for the game itself (beautiful anyway eh, be clear)
And nothing: good vision!

Ps: I thank GetNerfedOn for advising and encouraging me to publish my works in a different area of the forum in an orderly manner.
It teaches the stars to shine.
:'D

5ca5ccba0c034_Aposuunordignonucleare.thumb.png.f7c5e2feaa169a0f9d730b80d76ca4a6.png

We open the gallery with an image of a little girl playing on an ancient nuclear device.
It's called Apò, yet it ignores that it will become a courier for the gloomy lands of Eastern Europe.

"Only one thing we can see, beyond that veil. Few distant points, perhaps stars and planets of another cosmos... only and only that... as if the truth that lies behind it cannot be investigated beyond the humanit ... so why were we able to see each other further, however little...? Why this bit of cosmic truth, in our souls...?"
- Eleonore Nowhere

5ca63aed52309_Veloconceptartazzurro.thumb.jpg.834c0be71c3eee4416ddf6e1bbc85687.jpg5ca63b31a9d1b_Veloconceptartgiallo.thumb.jpg.ec9011db09a8351728cf19b1f7f190a3.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, minespatch said:

Are you familiar with the artist Moebius?

I didn't know him, but I'd probably seen something of his before. I went to look for some of his works and they are wonderful! A riot of details in dreamlike and a bit scary scenarios! Really impressive!
Why did you tell me?
^^

"And at the end we went out to look at the stars... yes, but which stars? Evil stars, of a dark sky of another world"

5ca90bfc8b92c_LuomocheteseilditoversoDio.thumb.jpg.45b2c22bd93b816dbd444aaadf2d1188.jpg 

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I can imagine this guy blasting "Canzoni Preferiti" XD

Album: Pop Guy Law, Woodstock, August 1969
Author: Pop Guy
Single: Yodel in the Sky
Genre: Country Metal

Refrain:
Run for the Heaven 
Run for the Sky
YODEL. IN. THE.
SKY.

*5 seconds high on sky*

(Yes, "Pop Guy" is the name of a surreal "country metal" band in my lore. Teacher to the angels to play the electric-triangle, pop boys! :'D)

Evolution of Apò, from the first sketch "DS style" to an almost final version of the character. The idea that will make it a courier still hasn't arrived.

5caa250449a47_ApoArtwork.thumb.jpg.f98aadbb257c09924ba4b029a171c64b.jpg5caa2525b5ddd_LocandinaprimoCapitolostoriaconKapou.thumb.jpg.dc5a897de8b49ba3b05f483c663a6896.jpg5caa25374bc4a_Apodifronterobot.thumb.jpg.da8386615c6e2fd80bb759b6016e1c03.jpg

And if Napoleon had never tried to invade Russia? And if France had maintained and consolidated its hegemony in Europe? And what about this with a domestic octopus clinging to an arm? Good questions.

image.thumb.png.4f9237001acf9f3a3fc11b856bd561a9.png

Here is the poster of the first chapter of a story set in the Bergamo of 1913, at the dawn of the Great War.
It was a project I wrote with a friend of mine who does military service, it was she who was careful to make the context historically accurate. I, on the other hand, always degenerated the story to grotesque and surreal, my two main protagonists were two very exuberant boys.
In the first chapter ("On the boundary wall, flying machines", which had to make the rhyme with the second "Paper sculptures and talking swans", ahahah) at one point one of the boys, Cincin, started chatting with one of the girls in the courtyard next door, and the two launched a paper airplane to communicate. (At that time, in Italy, males and females did not even share the courtyard during recreation).
And nothing, it was a nice story :'D

image.thumb.png.750f964ff6e548971ed309fb356d0fc5.png

image.png

A symbol is seen, in the posthumous nuclear fire desert... a sickle and a hammer:

"Symbol of the indivisible union of free republics!
Long live the unity and powerful Soviet Union
Founded by the will of the people!"

Resounds lugubrious among the sterile dunes ...

image.thumb.png.9c7dd29e9116d31b6ff0acfb3bb89158.pngimage.thumb.png.5b6958c152bbc0c0b7ec94924254e601.png35076534_964962400340345_8079091443806765056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=f2d37f283ebdb9dc973000daf4b0dc3b&oe=5D03B960

On 4/6/2019 at 4:06 PM, Pop Guy said:
  1. How did you tell me?
  2. 5ca90bfc8b92c_LuomocheteseilditoversoDio.thumb.jpg.45b2c22bd93b816dbd444aaadf2d1188.jpg 
  1. Well, looks like someone up your alley. I highly recommend the documentary "Jodorwesky's Dune" for his work in process and animation. Good stuff.:wilson_smile:
  2. Neat! Was it the scan or photo that made that interesting effect with the monochrome elements?
On 4/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, Pop Guy said:

image.thumb.png.697dc6f85d728de863e83810fc45a70f.png

So is this your persona?

On 4/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, Pop Guy said:

5caa250449a47_ApoArtwork.thumb.jpg.f98aadbb257c09924ba4b029a171c64b.jpg5caa2525b5ddd_LocandinaprimoCapitolostoriaconKapou.thumb.jpg.dc5a897de8b49ba3b05f483c663a6896.jpg5caa25374bc4a_Apodifronterobot.thumb.jpg.da8386615c6e2fd80bb759b6016e1c03.jpg

When did you first create Apò ?

On 4/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Pop Guy said:

image.thumb.png.006d421a8c08cdf29045867b5a24a7fd.png

Reading the description of this piece, makes me wonder if you've read the Teknophage comics.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, Pop Guy said:

22834480_844521369051116_1334214716_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-cdt1-1.xx&oh=3fdf03037a880844e0ce59be4594f1b3&oe=5CAE17CF

Nice work building a world within a drawing. There's so much to show in this piece that you have to use a magnifying glass to explain the stories it contains.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, Pop Guy said:

image.thumb.png.9c7dd29e9116d31b6ff0acfb3bb89158.pngimage.thumb.png.5b6958c152bbc0c0b7ec94924254e601.png35076534_964962400340345_8079091443806765056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=f2d37f283ebdb9dc973000daf4b0dc3b&oe=5D03B960

Communism seems to be recurring theme in your work. What originally started this trend in your art?:wilson_shocked:

17 hours ago, Pop Guy said:
  1.  a woman with a gas mask fitted with a saber, image.thumb.png.dc4f760fb5e39508c8cb7b4b47e97424.png
  2. image.thumb.png.bb4fd34434e183a5aa0ef89c41fe7a52.pngan aristocrat of the new babel who reflects on the atom
  1. Interesting piece. It's simpler but still mysterious.
  2. So... New Babel but he wears a Roman toga?

3 hours ago, minespatch said:
  1. Well, looks like someone up your alley. I highly recommend the documentary "Jodorwesky's Dune" for his work in process and animation. Good stuff.:wilson_smile:

Thank you very much for the advice, I really like the animation and I have also done some studies on it.
I will definitely throw an eye out ;)

2.Neat! Was it the scan or photo that made that interesting effect with the monochrome elements?

I deliberately played with the lights so that the photo came out like this. If I need to emphasize the atmosphere I want to create, I a lot of play with light and colors in "post-production" of drawing :afro:

So is this your persona?

Not exactly, even though I have curly hair and glasses, ahahah :'D
(Unfortunately I don't really own nintendo power glove :wilson_cry:)
It was more like a character's artwork for a friend's role-playing game.
Later maybe I release my character in pathfinder!

When did you first create Apò ?

A year ago I believe: initially it was the transposition of another of my characters in "Greek" style, but then it assumed its distinct and autonomous identity, as well as its context.
Her full name would be something like "Kapou se tipota" literally: "Nowhere"
The double significant thing: she was born after the atomic bombs (and therefore, in the middle of nowhere), but also because the character from which I had originally created she was called Emily Nowhere: 'D
(Ps: In Italian it sounds better ahahah)

To be continued...>

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Reading the description of this piece, makes me wonder if you've read the Teknophage comics.

No, never read. also because I don't think they have ever been translated into Italian, and I read practically nothing in other languages (my English is very mediocre: 'D)
However, they look like very nice comics, full of imaginative things.
The comics I read as a child were those on Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Scrooge, etc. Here in Italy we have a long tradition with Disney characters, our weekly magazine called "Mickey Mouse" has turned seventy this week. Over 3307 books. National pride for me!

image.thumb.png.48092123e280445325594802a37b4e26.png

(Yes, the production company is called "sandwiches", we are a living stereotype :'D)

Nice work building a world within a drawing. There's so much to show in this piece that you have to use a magnifying glass to explain the stories it contains.

Thank you, almost every drawing of mine contains a story behind it. I don't find it satisfying to draw if there is no story behind it. If my drawings could speak... :'D

Communism seems to be recurring theme in your work. What originally started this trend in your art?:wilson_shocked:

I have always been fascinated by the Cold War period: for the space race, the constant threat of the "end of the world", nuclear energy, the development of increasingly terrifying bombs, the world split in two, intensive espionage, the monumental aesthetics, the free world / dictatorship contrast, etc., etc.
In Italy we have lived very intensely the thing: we had the largest communist party in Europe (PCI,  Partito Comunista Italiano; Italian Communist Party) and the United States interfered a lot with our politics, to avoid that we could enter the area of Soviet influence. Nevertheless, much of the Italian art of the period were productions created together with Soviet artists, especially films.
We also had, during the 70s and 80s, an intense terrorist season, there were the red brigades and the black brigades that placed bombs and shot at people's legs. They are called "the years of lead" and are one of the darkest chapters in the recent history of the country.
In short, we would have to talk about it for hours, but communism was a profound part of the culture of my nation, it entered my art through "osmosis" :'D

Interesting piece. It's simpler but still mysterious.

I'm thinking if putting a cape with hood on her, what do you say?

So... New Babel but he wears a Roman toga?

My fault: "new babel" is a name that I improperly give because of the gigantic tower in the center of the city. The correct name would be "Idrotomos", from the Greek: "The water house", due to the lake formed inside the nuclear crater of an ancient termonuclear device 

18 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

image.thumb.png.a8a03ec277394f455307c8feb834b0d3.png

Nice work with the spaceship and doves! How long did this one take?

16 hours ago, Pop Guy said:
  1. (Yes, the production company is called "sandwiches", we are a living stereotype :'D)
  2. I'm thinking if putting a cape with hood on her, what do you say?
  1. I'm familiar of the company. More for their trading cards than their comics.
  2. I kind of like it how it already is but whatever you feel makes it look better.

20 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I know you said your art style is partly influenced by DS but the hair style reminds me a lot of roseate Willow. There's a lot of good stuff here though.

Thanks for the "likes" and compliments, first of all! :D

Yes, I clearly remember that "Willow roseate" hair really pleased me when I saw it for the first time ;)
But then I started to develop the thing in another direction. To say, now Apò is so, in its final version:

"The mail must arrive, and it will arrive!"

image.thumb.png.0a96dd8f3679f94c12bc71becdd9eb3f.png

(Yes, I was inspired by Easy Rider, while I was drawing I was listening to "Born to be Wild". Even now to tell the truth, ahahah! :afro:)

20 hours ago, minespatch said:

Nice work with the spaceship and doves! How long did this one take?

Thanks for the compliments as always!

I do not remember well, but I felt a deep hatred for the anatomy of the doves at a certain point :'D actually Ellen does not convince me: probably soon I will rework it deeply. Surely I will keep the red flake on her head and the doves, I imagined she falling from the sky facing the viewer, surrounded by a flock of doves. Or turn (always in front of the spectator) while, behind she, a nuclear explosion occurs on the ocean and the doves that hover in flight scared.
I still have to think about it.
But I love her personality: in a story where I told her about her adolescence, I described she as a lover of electronics and computers, disco music or the synthesizer, who left home to go to school with sunglasses, music cassettes and headphones with electronic music blasting into her ears :cool2: :afro:

"Britannia is a very tragicomic place. There is the darkest human and spiritual misery embellished with opulence and opulence, the total homologation and depersonalization masked by common sense and pragmatism, the continuous and spasmodic search for self-assertion of an" I "not even master of their desires: a place where the poor regret not being rich, where the rich regret not being king, where kings regret not being God."

"Eleonore, don't you have a hero?" asked the Duke of Rosabianca. The little girl meditated on it, clutching the pink flamingo stuffed toy that she held tightly in her arms. Then he smiled, "Yes, uncle! The Baron of Münchhausen." The man drew a mustache: "Why, how rich was this baron?" churches. "I don't know..." replied the little girl: "...But he was on the Moon!" he added excitedly. "On the Moon? Wow, the Moon is far away, I get new that someone has ever been there!" the man commented, visibly perplexed: "My niece, you won't be fooling me, I hope," he added, nodding an amused smile. "Nono, there really was!" the little girl exclaimed. "And with what means, if I can ask?" asked the curious Duke. "Riding a cannonball!" Eleonore answered. Something too absurd even for Britannia, but not for a child.

"...and here my affairs end, dear reader. I am old and ready to die, I have only one regret: although he traveled to the distant kingdoms of Zongo and took the tea with the emperor, although he was by the Tsar of Rossjia and participated in a hunt in the tundra, although it was in the lush forests of Cibola and I pulled myself out of the moving sand with my hair, though I even went for a lunar walk riding a cannonball, I have only one regret: I never saw Thule Island. Where they say there is a river of coffee and one of milk, converging in a lake of coffee. The unattainable Thule. Land of fire and ice where the Sun never sets The last Thule, which I feel that death will prevent me from seeing "so ended the book of adventures of the Baron of Münchhausen.

5cb276cb0cc2a_EleonoreRoseanne.thumb.jpg.e68f84193602e739f258b07b83e74c3e.jpg

(Eleonore, my Pathfinder's PG. Bard, of course :D)

21 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

"The mail must arrive, and it will arrive!"image.thumb.png.0a96dd8f3679f94c12bc71becdd9eb3f.png

Nice work! You put so much attention in that motorcycle. I usually have to use Akira Toriyama for motorcycle refs since he balances the line between simplicity and detailed.

2 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

5cb276cb0cc2a_EleonoreRoseanne.thumb.jpg.e68f84193602e739f258b07b83e74c3e.jpg(Eleonore, my Pathfinder's PG. Bard, of course :D)

Once again with the doves. You managed to bring in a Church window aesthetic with this one.

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 4:48 AM, minespatch said:

Nice work! You put so much attention in that motorcycle. I usually have to use Akira Toriyama for motorcycle refs since he balances the line between simplicity and detailed.

Thank you! Yes, it was not easy to draw a chopper, I looked at various images on google to understand how the hell it is done: 'D
Excellent idea to take inspiration from Toriyama, I too find it has a simple style but with the right amount of details, very clean!

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 4:48 AM, minespatch said:

Once again with the doves. You managed to bring in a Church window aesthetic with this one.

Since you talk to me about the aesthetics of religious windows, I'll tell you a curious fact. Here in Italy there is the cathedral of Loreto: it is said that it is there that the angels carried the Holy House of Nazareth (where Maria received the annunciation), is a very important place of worship for believers.
Inside the cathedral there are several frescoes of Renaissance origin: in one of these you can see a crowd contemplating Christ. But among the people, dressed in medieval simple clothes, you can see some police people, three astronauts with their hands on their chests and the little dog Laika inside the Soviet capsule Spuntik 2, the first mammal sent into space!
And against the background of another fresco, the house of Mary carried by angels... and accompanied by spaceships!

:)

image.png.c934fec2edd2fdd0a5be9a61910f8443.pngimage.png.07d04b9209237701cefba1bd93c18f46.png

(Cartoon to watch slowly, listening to the Beach Boys to get into the right mood)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venus Metropolis, 12 October 1982...

image.thumb.png.be2eb7150e278ad8b2106764adb1cb39.png

Archived