New drecko behavior

21 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Things will path through closed doors if they were open at the time they calculated their path.

Just tested this with Mk3. 

Door on open:

image.thumb.png.017b725b4bd894ab2f50658f1ebdc650.png

Set door to auto, door closes and breaks the critters pathing.

image.thumb.png.37384f0a6b5fb0c0359148427b1109f1.png

24 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

You should be exploiting their movement to keep them put.  For example adult hatches can’t jump across 2 tiles so you can use ladders as flooring.  They can jump up 2 tiles so you need to account for that. 

agreed, but its harder for drekos when you need to keep gases contained as well. perfect for hatches. Also, shove voles seem to be able to occasionally jump a 2 tile gap.

21 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

Just tested this with Mk3. 

Come on. That not a test of what people are talking about here at all. We're saying, and have proven conclusively, that critters can escape when a dupe goes through a pneumatic door set on auto. Or happens to idle in the door which also happens a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Come on. That not a test of what people are talking about here at all.

DId you not see what I was responding to?

26 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:
55 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Things will path through closed doors if they were open at the time they calculated their path.

Critters will not path through a closed door because it was open at the time of calculation.

It takes more exotic designs. I’ve got 50-100 wild drecko in a 15/15 box with a water lock to get in. Now none of them have gone through the lock but it wouldn’t matter if they did since that room itself is suspended in a much larger room with no way off that box. 

I will have to post a picture when I get home. I’ve managed to not do any active ranching this time. 

Alternatively, for voles and dreckos, you can have a suspended platform in the middle of the large room. Dupes get to the floating platform via stairs. An autosweeper at the bottom of the room takes any eggs that drop there (to prevent intergenerational escape). No need for a waterlock.

This doesn't work for flying critters though.

Here we go.  All of my wild Drecko are in that box so I can shave them.  The design would fit around 5-6 normally and let them eat and spend most of their time in hydrogen (and be mealwood for glossy) but I've avoided active ranching so far.  Either way if one got out it wouldn't have anywhere it could go.

20190404185851_1.thumb.jpg.ea20c595d3b9e2490cee694f800187e5.jpg

Regarding wild voles this has worked.  The automation drops eggs in and leaves them there.  Other automation pulls the meat and egg shells out.  Since they can dig around they never get confined so you can cram as many of them in one spot as you want.

20190404185912_1.thumb.jpg.b33e253cc38873922151fd5fc8d948ce.jpg

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I use triple pneumatic doors directly next to each other to keep Dreckos were the little [deleted] belong. Seems to be the only thing that works besides eradicating them all (which I also have done in the past).

^This. No need to build a complicated setup if three simple consecutive doors do the work.

3 hours ago, Mariilyn said:

^This. No need to build a complicated setup if three simple consecutive doors do the work.

Many builds ago when I first started playing the game. I actually tried building 5 airlock doors next to each other. And the dreckos would still escape lol.

I think  we should get an official response from the DEVs  on the actual behaviors of the   Doors and Critters.  

This way, when it's NOT working as intended, we can report this as a bug rather than argue over it.  
It's not very clear in the game description that a specific door type should be used to contain critters.   (aside from Refined Doors for Voles).  
But that's as close as we got.  

The fact that voles can cross non refined doors says its intended for critters to leave through doors?

Obviously doors on open state critters escape- no arguments on that so far.

Regarding "Auto" state:
No where does it state in the description or in a patch note that  specifically Pneumatic doors on "auto" only will contain "tamed" critters.
The critters escaping behaves like how a gas would when an airlock (manual/automatic) doors work when the door opens and closes (on auto state).

Multiple people have witnessed/experienced  critters escaping through doors on Auto.   And Multiple people have experienced/claimed that their tamed critters have never escaped through pneumatic doors on auto.     Something is obviously wrong here.

We've all experienced different things, only because we notice a certain game behavior and we call it a bug when it's not working like how it has always worked but for all we know it was not intended and got fixed.   Or it's just been buggy because of different performance state of the game.   Such as lag and game speed.   For instance,  some things aren't working as intended when the game is going at high speed, frame skips. Automation timers (such as the buffer gates and filter gates just matching up)

I hope Devs can flat out tell us what the intended behavior is so we don't have to have silly arguments on the forum.    Please like this post if you agree to get some Dev Attention!  thanks.

AFAICT, something definitely changed regarding Mobs and Pneumatic Doors. From my own experience :

- Drecko were previously able to climb Pneumatic Doors. Since the last beta update, they can't anymore

- Mobs were not able to cross Pneumatic Doors set to Auto at the same time a Duplicant was going through. They can now (Tame and Wild doesn't matter : I have wild Shine Bugs that managed to escape the rooms they were imprisoned and tamed Hatches escaped their farm)

2 hours ago, Dracian said:

AFAICT, something definitely changed regarding Mobs and Pneumatic Doors. From my own experience :

- Drecko were previously able to climb Pneumatic Doors. Since the last beta update, they can't anymore

I have this problem too after the last patch.

Plus it seems they escape through Pneumatic Doors...

• Developer

There have been a number of subtle bugs related to pathfinding and doors for both dupes and critters that have been fixed over the last few months, largely to bring consistency between e.g. different kinds of doors, rotated doors, and so forth. We're getting those wrapped up, in fact there is one more fix for the upcoming patch.

In general, we want your ranches to "work as you designed them". That means that a door set to "open" should allow critters to pass through (it's held open, after all) and a dupe set to "auto" or "closed" should not allow critter passage; think of "auto" as "dupe-only" in this case. (The upcoming fix is for the auto case in particular.)

Currently there are no "escape" mechanics apart from Shove Voles being able to pass through soft materials, so if you see a critter sneak out of a room that you thought was sealed up, please report that as a bug.

As far as critters pathing through water... we'll look into it! :)

21 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

There have been a number of subtle bugs related to pathfinding and doors for both dupes and critters that have been fixed over the last few months, largely to bring consistency between e.g. different kinds of doors, rotated doors, and so forth. We're getting those wrapped up, in fact there is one more fix for the upcoming patch.

In general, we want your ranches to "work as you designed them". That means that a door set to "open" should allow critters to pass through (it's held open, after all) and a dupe set to "auto" or "closed" should not allow critter passage; think of "auto" as "dupe-only" in this case. (The upcoming fix is for the auto case in particular.)

Currently there are no "escape" mechanics apart from Shove Voles being able to pass through soft materials, so if you see a critter sneak out of a room that you thought was sealed up, please report that as a bug.

As far as critters pathing through water... we'll look into it! :)

Wonderful!  Thank you.  

So "Auto" doors  should keep ALL(?tamed and wild)  Critters contained.  Is this for ALL doors?  Airlock Manual, Automatic, and Pneumatic Doors?

2 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

we need a hulk critter to be added to the game, that can only be contained by bunker doors

When it's hungry it gets angry and smashes through the walls if they're not made of steel lol.

HATCH SMASH!!!

Archived