Modding System Now In Testing!

How can I make it work on Mac OS? Mods button is gray when I start the game. Old method with ModLoader.dll is not working. Where should I put my mods to make them visible by the new modding system? I've tryed ~/Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/mods/local (and Local),~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Mods/ (original location of mods for ModLoader), ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Mods/Local (and local, trying to be creative) and no luck. 

14 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
On 04/04/2019 at 3:13 AM, lbphero said:

I've been told that "having a global call that activates the patch from mods instead of mods patching themselves" closes a lot of doors in the modding scene. Will the way dll modding work for oxygen not included change at any point, to allow for more extreme mod changes?

I'm not actually sure what you mean here. Can you point me to a discussion or anything like this? We'd like to understand the problem.

Hey @Ipsquiggle, I've sent you a PM regarding this.

Excited for the future of modding for this game.

User generated assemblies, assets, and config files kept Kerbal Space Program & Darkest Dungeon (other Unity games) alive for me for so many years.

I do wonder what the community at large will prefer: GitHub (through a CKAN client), Nexusmods (or other third party hosting), or just the Steam Workshop.

• Developer
21 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Do I have to use Visual Studio and C# to do mods? I am kind of an Emacs+gcc person...

If you want to add or modify functionality, you to have to use .NET. FWIW I also develop in Emacs using OmniSharp, and just use VS for compiling...

That said, there are already several mod types that don't require code modifications, and we plan to add more as the system grows.

13 hours ago, Blindf0ld said:

How can I make it work on Mac OS?

We're looking into OSX troubles.

@Zoom12 Mods can be run "locally" by putting them each into a folder "Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\local\<modname>\". 

46 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

If you want to add or modify functionality, you to have to use .NET. FWIW I also develop in Emacs using OmniSharp, and just use VS for compiling...

That said, there are already several mod types that don't require code modifications, and we plan to add more as the system grows.

We're looking into OSX troubles.

@Zoom12 Mods can be run "locally" by putting them each into a folder "Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\local\<modname>\". 

the game is not seeing all the directories. i put, like , 7, it shows me only 3 

upd  - ok i am sorry, i forgot the mod load order. now seems all ok

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I have done something similar on occasion. We will see what works best.

• Developer
4 hours ago, Zoom12 said:

where do  i put the dll mods now?

If you are looking to install a mod, subscribe to it via Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/workshop/. It will automatically get installed to /User/Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/Mods/Steam and subsequently be visible in the Mods screen off the Main Menu.

The manual method of installing mod .dlls via ModLoader.dll still works. Installation instructions are here: https://github.com/javisar/ONI-Modloader#quick-start

16 hours ago, Blindf0ld said:

How can I make it work on Mac OS? Mods button is gray when I start the game. Old method with ModLoader.dll is not working. Where should I put my mods to make them visible by the new modding system? I've tryed ~/Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/mods/local (and Local),~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Mods/ (original location of mods for ModLoader), ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Mods/Local (and local, trying to be creative) and no luck. 

A fix for installation of DLL mods on OSX is coming today. That'll have your subscribed mods show up in the Mods screen off the Main Menu as expected. The manual method of installing mods should still work though (https://github.com/javisar/ONI-Modloader#quick-start).

Issue with new mod system. I'm using the ModLoader.dll setup, with all my mods in Document/xxx/Mods/local folder.

I was playing a game with a bunch of mods, working fine and everything. Then, I needed to make a change to a mod that i'm creating, so I recompile the dll and put it in to replace the old one. Then, the mod stopped loading! I tried deleting the mods.json file and having it regenerate. I re-enabled all the mods again, but this time, all the mods aren't loaded when loading a save game. They also seem to not be loading in a new game either.

Logs are showing that everything is normal and that the mods are loading. However, when i load my save game, it says that it can't find the prefabs for the modded items.

Edit: Found the issue. You can't have a /Mods folder in the ONI root directory anymore. Seems to cause loader to get messed up. Just deleted that folder and it all worked.

I'm having trouble with the uploader tool. It appears to ignore .json-files, which I use for configuring my mod. Could the filter that does that be expanded a bit for the future? For now I suppose I'll make my mod write those files from the DLL instead of having them pre-made, but it would be a lot neater to have that.

Dear developers and community, some time ago I posted a list of modding related question and suggestions but I think this may be a more suitable place for that. I'm sure you have been thinking in some of these topics, please, forgive me I they have been mentioned before elsewhere.

Do you have plans to extend the modding support? I mean things like support for mod configurations in game. Maybe this could be added to the new mod list window.
Or even a mod API, althougt it's true that Harmony is very powerfull by itself.

I think the mod community is having a hard time with a couple of thinks, namely, adding assets to the game (sprites, animations, ...). Any foreseeable KAnim editor in the future?
Also it would be really nice to be able to extend easily the UI (menus).

Would it be possible to mod the physics simulation somehow? This would be awesome. I know that it's possible to modify the gas/liquids/solids properties but I mean, for example, to mod the way some formulas are calculated.

I also want to say thanks to the developers for the hard job they are doing adding mod support and taking into account the community. I firmly think that mods will grant to this game a long long life.
Thanks to the modding community for get involved since the begining when I uploaded the first version of the ONI-Modloader
My first intention was to kickstart the mod creation in this game since I saw so much potential. Goal achieved. It's been a wonderful time.

Let me know if I can help in some way.

• Developer
On 4/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, makotech222 said:

Issue with new mod system. I'm using the ModLoader.dll setup, with all my mods in Document/xxx/Mods/local folder.

The next patch will allow the old ModLoader.dll system to better co-exist with the new built-in mod loading system. ModLoader.dll will load all mods in the OxygenNotIncluded/Mods directory; the built-in system will be responsible for all mods in the Document/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/Mods directory. Note that the built-in system will only load DLLs that have been enabled in the Mods screen whereas ModLoader.dll will load all DLLs it finds.

• Developer
On 4/6/2019 at 5:44 AM, Zoom12 said:

because a steam mod is zipped there will be a problem with mods which have a json.  or not?

21 hours ago, QuantumFlux said:

I'm having trouble with the uploader tool. It appears to ignore .json-files, which I use for configuring my mod. Could the filter that does that be expanded a bit for the future?

10 hours ago, trevice said:

I mean things like support for mod configurations in game. Maybe this could be added to the new mod list window.

In general, the game extracts files on-demand from the Steam package. That is, your .json files are getting packaged, uploaded, and subsequently downloaded, but they aren't getting extracted.

We are currently figuring out how to best support per-mod configuration.

• Developer
On 4/8/2019 at 1:04 AM, trevice said:

Dear developers and community, some time ago I posted a list of modding related question and suggestions but I think this may be a more suitable place for that. I'm sure you have been thinking in some of these topics, please, forgive me I they have been mentioned before elsewhere.

Do you have plans to extend the modding support? I mean things like support for mod configurations in game. Maybe this could be added to the new mod list window.
Or even a mod API, althougt it's true that Harmony is very powerfull by itself.

We've got a few basic utilities showing up in the ModUtil class. If people are repeatedly making the same kind of rote modifications (like adding buildings to the build menu) or if data has to be configured in a certain way, we'll add that to this file. Please let us know what kinds of things we could make easier!

I think the mod community is having a hard time with a couple of thinks, namely, adding assets to the game (sprites, animations, ...). Any foreseeable KAnim editor in the future?
Also it would be really nice to be able to extend easily the UI (menus).

We hope to support asset and UI mods soon, but it involves very different pipelines from the Harmony/Data file mods that we currently support, so that will be coming along later. We also want you to do this. :)

Would it be possible to mod the physics simulation somehow? This would be awesome. I know that it's possible to modify the gas/liquids/solids properties but I mean, for example, to mod the way some formulas are calculated.

I don't think any kind of algorithmic modding is likely to happen to the world sim. We would like to expose more constants and configurations though so you could hopefully create unusual variations using the same logic.

I also want to say thanks to the developers for the hard job they are doing adding mod support and taking into account the community. I firmly think that mods will grant to this game a long long life.
Thanks to the modding community for get involved since the begining when I uploaded the first version of the ONI-Modloader
My first intention was to kickstart the mod creation in this game since I saw so much potential. Goal achieved. It's been a wonderful time.

Let me know if I can help in some way.

We really really do appreciate what you started with Modloader! We always wanted to add modding to this game, but you got it rolling long before we got to it. This is really important to us because modding is very much driven by you, the modders. Having functional mods and lots of discussion about the kinds of things which are easy and hard help us to launch into developing the mod system in a much stronger way than if we had just been guessing. We have our own goals as well, based on our experiences with DS/DST, and ways we want to grow the mod community, but the foundation is here and you started it. :D 

The best way you (and everyone) can help is to just keep making mods and talking about it and sharing in these forums. Please, ask us lots of questions, make lots of feature requests! We won't be able to accomplish everything, of course, but that's all the more reason we need to understand what's important to you.

There's an issue where not all data files under the worldgen directory are supported. I'm able to load mobs.yaml and worlds, but not the custom subworlds, noise, biomes, poi, or features. It all works fine when I paste it in StreamingAssets (where I was developing it originally).

The directory structure in the mods folder is:

├───local
│   └───ExtendedWorld
│       │   mod.yaml
│       │
│       ├───templates
│       │   ├───features
│       │   │       feature_dump_battery.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_compactor.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_compost.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_couch.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_outhouse.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_petrol_can.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_plastic_bundle.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_poisoned_field_ration.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_poisoned_fruit_cake.yaml
│       │   │       feature_dump_water_bottle.yaml
│       │   │
│       │   └───poi
│       │           poi_dump_filthy_water_geyser.yaml
│       │
│       └───worldgen
│           │   mobs.yaml
│           │
│           ├───biomes
│           │       Dump.yaml
│           │       Lake.yaml
│           │       Structure.yaml
│           │
│           ├───noise
│           │       DumpWorld.yaml
│           │
│           ├───subworlds
│           │       Dump.yaml
│           │
│           └───worlds
│                   DefaultExtended.yaml

• Developer
On 4/14/2019 at 2:24 AM, Heinermann said:

There's an issue where not all data files under the worldgen directory are supported. I'm able to load mobs.yaml and worlds, but not the custom subworlds, noise, biomes, poi, or features. It all works fine when I paste it in StreamingAssets (where I was developing it originally).

This issue has been fixed for today's release. Happy modding!

On 16.4.2019 at 7:43 PM, KleiChrisP said:

This issue has been fixed for today's release. Happy modding!

Well, since the hotfix actually should have fixed again, I can not help but ask if you are really sure that it is now working as before since otherwise...

I'm at a loss why my worldgen mod does partially not work. Specifically it does not load my custom new POIs yet it does indeed read my custom subworlds (since I added the geyser, yours, NG or Cl, that does not spawn if the other does) and POIs I did overwrite. As test I also replaced old POI locations (since new ones are limited, might also do something about that) without success, simply not spawning anything.

Oh, and yes, I did try to install it manually in the game folder (pasted worldgen and templates, which are indeed in the root folder, into StreamingAssets) and it did work.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:47 AM, Gurgel said:

Well, I hope to find the time to give it a try. In principle, I am not opposed to C#, it is just a niche language (large niche as all of the incompatible MS stuff).

C# is niche? wtf?

• Developer
17 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

I'm at a loss why my worldgen mod does partially not work. Specifically it does not load my custom new POIs

Right you are. No files in the 'templates' directory were being handled in such a way as to be moddable. The fix is in and will be available to you in an upcoming patch.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:25 AM, bandass said:

Will the way dll modding work for oxygen not included change at any point, to allow for more extreme mod changes?

I don't think you can really change the DLL modding to allow more DLL functionality. So far we have only touched the surface of what we can do. What we need to unlock modding is the ability to add other files than just the DLL. The most needed is custom graphics.

Archived