Any plans for PVP gameplay?

5 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

...What you and your friends Crimson Chin and Canis try to do here, making post after post about PvP to bring about some precarious "bandwagon train" you so eloquently blamed these forums to be fertile ground of, this time into a pro-PvP direction...

Since you name-dropped me specifically, I feel the need to defend myself.

-My post was more a manure-post making fun of PvP.

-I made one post

-Im not really pro-pvp, I just said that I enjoy playing it sometimes.

-I have no friends that use the klei forums.

Stop reading too much into things, especially if you're going to name drop. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, jantonio said:
  Hide contents

think this thread needs to be locked if it goes far to insult a person.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to pvp being a sort of separate game mode from the base game but trying to implement them both into one just might not be very practical. But yeah, I'm afraid that this discussion might be getting a little too personal... :wilson_worried:

PvP being balanced in any way whatsoever would require every single character being revamped, considering how klei is currently releasing these reworks every month, it would require about a year to balance every character for PvP, of course, these reworks would likely be simple considering that all they have to do is, compared to the winona rework, simple, so lets say klei can get 6 character reworks done in a month, they now have to spend 2 months working on PvP balancing every last character, but we still have panflutes, and stunlocking, and pig allies, i could go on and on about the mechanics that would be immensely unbalanced for PvP, so lets just say those are also removed, aaaaaaaaall that effort just for around 5% of the player base, not exactly worthwhile from a business perspective.

6 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

You don't really think this through on global scale do you?! To actually understand why a big part of this forum is vocally against current DST PvP (yours truly obviously as well)?!

Really, you should stop being self-righteous. You are not superior to everyone else and should seriously get off your high-horse. You are a forumer just like anyone else, and you have no more merit than a junior member. Know your place and respect others even if their beliefs conflict with your own.

7 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Cheers (and don't drink and drive *wink wink*)!

That is uncalled for, and the implication should more so be directed to yourself since you have the audacity to insult others without having considered any alternatives. Being hell-bent on keeping content away from a game is not a healthy mindset.

All in all, I mean no disrespect to anyone who's against the idea of PVP, but Oversus has seriously blown this topic out of proportion and shouldn't continue posting if he's going to continue being condescending towards other forumers.

6 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I had a supposition about you 3 PvP-advocates, mostly about you and Lilith. And you didn't fail "to provide". Congrats!

Oh those PvPlayers... :)

Oversus has seriously blown this topic out of proportion and shouldn't continue posting if he's going to continue being condescending towards other forumers.

Thanks for proving my point.

1 hour ago, jantonio said:

think this thread needs to be locked if it goes far to insult a person.

we are already beyond that point

49 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to pvp being a sort of separate game mode from the base game but trying to implement them both into one just might not be very practical. But yeah, I'm afraid that this discussion might be getting a little too personal... :wilson_worried:

CAN WE CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE SOMEONE IS BANNED PLEASE?

WE REALLY AREN'T DOING ANYTHING PRODUCTIVE AT ALL BUT BE RUDE

1 minute ago, TaffyMatt said:

panflute, sleepy times stories, ice staff, or 2v1 pretty much guarantees a win

I definitely agree with the first two. Ice staff doesn't necessarily cover a win, if you're in a team then yeah it's much more lethal, but still not as bad as sleep. I think if options to counter sleep were added, or the drowsy-effect and animation lock nerfed at least would get us a pretty long way.

PvP would need a complete game redesign. It could work as a Forge type event but that's about it. Rebalancing the whole game to be fun in pvp would greatly limit the options available for content (existing or upcoming). A separate game mode would take a lot of resources for a small percentage of players (not to mention the lack of content on regular mode because of that).

3 minutes ago, ToSoublaki said:

PvP would need a complete game redesign. It could work as a Forge type event but that's about it. Rebalancing the whole game to be fun in pvp would greatly limit the options available for content (existing or upcoming). A separate game mode would take a lot of resources for a small percentage of players (not to mention the lack of content on regular mode because of that).

I wouldn't say so. I mean, it will absolutely take some resources, but PVP players aren't asking for a game redesign. Most of us already enjoy the way it is, but would like it even more if certain things were altered or added- if we look past giving it a more involved battle system or character perks, all that's left is buffs and nerfs to existing content here and there. From what I can think of, it shouldn't be extreme on resources. They already have a variable for if PVP is enabled IIRC- in fact, I'll try something right now (Keep in mind this is C# and not lua, but the concept is still the same):

// Sleep drowsiness
if (PVP_enabled == true) {
	Drowsiness = 1f; // 1 second of drowsiness
} else {
	Drowsiness = 10f; // 10 second of drowsiness
}

That is all. This type of small change for a couple of things like Sleepytime Stories range, drowsiness, Fire Staff durability and such would help out a ton I feel.

12 minutes ago, Lillyth said:

I wouldn't say so. I mean, it will absolutely take some resources, but PVP players aren't asking for a game redesign. Most of us already enjoy the way it is, but would like it even more if certain things were altered or added- if we look past giving it a more involved battle system or character perks, all that's left is buffs and nerfs to existing content here and there. From what I can think of, it shouldn't be extreme on resources. They already have a variable for if PVP is enabled IIRC- in fact, I'll try something right now (Keep in mind this is C# and not lua, but the concept is still the same):

// Sleep drowsiness
if (PVP_enabled == true) {
	Drowsiness = 1f; // 1 second of drowsiness
} else {
	Drowsiness = 10f; // 10 second of drowsiness
}

That is all. This type of small change for a couple of things like Sleepytime Stories range, drowsiness, Fire Staff durability and such would help out a ton I feel.

Without a more involved battle style the mode will not be sustainable- sure it would attract some new players for a week or two but that's about it. A mod would be better suited if we're talking about changes like the proposed ones. Personally I don't think altering game mechanics for a specific mode is the way to go.

Many do not consider that the pvp attracts a minority precisely because it is badly done. If it were treated properly, it would attract many, many more people. We must establish a virtuous circle, where improvements bring people and people bring improvements ;)

Archived