Aporkalypse and World hopping problems

I'm a bit worried (specially for new players) when starting in other places different to Hamlet and don't immediately jump before day 61 to check the aporkalypse calender. 

Rn the day count and seasons are synced in new worlds and if you jump from RoG or SW to Hamlet after day 61, you are probs gonna be in the middle of the Aporkalypse and Hamlet is pretty much gonna be in that season be permanently until u find the calendar.

This event is a problem for world hopping cuz it isn't very likely people are gonna survive very long in the middle of the Aporkalypse while trying to look for the calendar that assuming they aren't very familiar with Hamlet late game and because there isn't really a sign in RoG and SW to warn you the Aporkalypse is about to start in Hamlet

I think that some kind or rework to the world hopping mechanics needs to happen to adjust for Hamlet.. Or simply change how the aporkalypse works... Dunno really... Maybe desynching makes more sense now.. (sorry devs ik you worked hard to make them synchronize T_T) 

IMO the only viable way to do it is to undeniably start in Hamlet, look for calender before day 61, and have to always come back to Hamlet through the calender's location to stop the aporkalypse in case you stayed for a while in other worlds.

Or if you want a challenge, start in Hamlet after day 61 and look for the calender while the aporkalypse season is in full swing... You simply prepare like hell and try to get to the calender.. But that's a bit jikes to expect from all players. 

As for rn, the aporkalypse mechanics feel a bit limiting in terms of where you want to start your world and how much time you want to spend there if you want to make it compatible with Hamlet. Also dunno really if synching seasons now with Hamlet is gonna work long term.

----------

Edit.. This is probs a good idea on how to deal with the problem brought by @Ellilea

Wouldn't it work if simply the Aporkalypse timer was a separate one that triggers only once player enters the Hamlet world? Personally I wouldn't mind if it only ticked while one is in Hamlet to prevent some annoying "forced" management when someone wants to just peace out and do stuff elsewhere and doesn't want to deal with Apork.

Also another important aspect is that the Skyworthy doesn't have the "merge with other saves" menu. So merging with other save files only works with the Seaworthy as for now.

7 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm a bit worried for the people starting in other places different to Hamlet that won't immediately jump before day 61 to check the aporkalypse calender. 

Rn the seasons are synced and then if you jump after day 61 to Hamlet from RoG or SW, you are probs gonna be in the middle of the aporkalypse and the season is gonna be permanently in aporkalypse for 9999 days xD

This event is a problem for world hopping cuz it isn't very likely people are gonna survive very long in the middle of the aporkalypse that assuming they aren't very familiar with Hamlet late game. 

I think that some kind or reword to the world hopping mechanics need to happen to adjust for Hamlet.. Or simply change how the aporkalypse works... Dunno really... Maybe de synching makes mire sense now.. 

IMO the only viable way to do it is to undeniably start in Hamlet, look for calender before day 61, and have to always come back to Hamlet through the calender's location to stop the aporkalypse in case you stayed for a while in other worlds.

Or if you want a challenge, start in Hamlet after day 61 and look for the calender while the aporkalypse season is in full swing... You simply prepare like hell and try to get to the calender.. But that's a bit jikes to expect from all players. 

As for rn, the aporkalypse mechanics feels a bit limiting in terms of where you want to start your world if you want to make it compatible with Hamlet. Also dunno really if synching seasons now with Hamlet is gonna work long term.

I mean

Assuming you want to grab a key to the city, easy access to giant drops or Ro bin i think it's a good to make it a challenging travel so im fine with 61+ day difficulty

2 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

I mean

Assuming you want to grab a key to the city, easy access to giant drops or Ro bin i think it's a good to make it a challenging travel so im fine with 61+ day difficulty

I'm not saying the difficulty is bad per se... I'm saying is limiting where to start your world and also messes up the seasons synching. 

And it's not about the key to the city only but bundling wraps and other Hamlet specific items

48 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

What I did :'D

5ca37e76189c2_Schermata2019-02-24alle19_54_38.thumb.png.65e7f123ca7917b5bcd81d4ccffbab39.png

4 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

What I did :'D

5ca37e76189c2_Schermata2019-02-24alle19_54_38.thumb.png.65e7f123ca7917b5bcd81d4ccffbab39.png

But if you wanna start in SW then you need to rush to go Hamlet because seasons are synched... that's my problem... season synchronization is messing up with world starting choices

unless u then decide to go after day 61 and try to rush it... :/

9 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

But if you wanna start in SW then you need to rush to go Hamlet because seasons are synched... that's my problem... season synchronization is messing up with world starting choices

Yes i agree. From Hamlet to other worlds you solve it this way (even if it is inconvenient to tell the truth); but when you come from the other worlds I believe that the Apocalypse should be "frozen" and take effect only after your first arrival.
Anyway, traveling between the worlds I think is cheaper than buying blueprints from hundreds of oincs at the store Among other things, we ask EVERYONE: united crafting. This is the opposite, but noooooooo :'D
I had already installed a mod which added it, among other things, because I didn't understand the usefulness of being able to buy the pieces of giant without being able to use them. Only now do I understand Klei's "evil intentions", but it is too late :'D
(I don't restart the game just for this thing)

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

You can circumvent season-syncing problems by linking to an existing world, assuming you have a free save slot. When I wanted to link my Hamlet world to SW, for example, I started a separate SW world on a separate file, then linked my Hamlet to that Day 1 SW world.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

You can circumvent season-syncing problems by linking to an existing world, assuming you have a free save slot. When I wanted to link my Hamlet world to SW, for example, I started a separate SW world on a separate file, then linked my Hamlet to that Day 1 SW world.

tbh workabouts are nice but I think this is still an issue regardless

BTW, I don't mean linking a base Hamlet world to other DLC, but the other way around. This fact matters because Hamlet contains all DLC contents pretty much and Hamlet has no teleportato as for now. 

And this only works with the Seaworthy, the Skyworthy doesn't have this feature

Wouldn't it work if simply the Aporkalypse timer was a separate one that triggers only once player enters the Hamlet world? Personally I wouldn't mind if it only ticked while one is in Hamlet to prevent some annoying "forced" management when someone wants to just peace out and do stuff elsewhere and doesn't want to deal with Apork.

4 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

That would also make the most sense. It doesn't punish the players for exploring other worlds, whilst it doesn't allow the players to "escape" the Aporkalypse either.

Aporkalypse is meant to be inevitable, but also delayable. But, you can't delay it if you're not in Hamlet in the first place...

This fix would deal with both.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:31 AM, FreyaMaluk said:

IMO the only viable way to do it is to undeniably start in Hamlet, look for calender before day 61,

OR you could build a skyworthy before day 61. I've done it several times already and I don't speedrun the game.

43 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

OR you could build a skyworthy before day 61. I've done it several times already and I don't speedrun the game.

I never said I can't do it... it isn't so hard to find! The problem is that not all people like to rush stuff. The point is that the game should have a system in place to stop the Aporkalypse after day 61 if it's your first time in Hamlet cuz all new worlds have the day count synchroniozed

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

The point is that the game should have a system in place to stop the Aporkalypse after day 61

And there is. The calendar. Hamlet is meant to be harder and have rewards appropriate to the challenge. If it's too hard, turn off the aporkalypse. Aporkalypse currently exists to discourage lollygagging.

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I never said I can't do it

You said the only "viable" method was to "undeniably" start in hamlet.

1 hour ago, KilliasK said:

And there is. The calendar. Hamlet is meant to be harder and have rewards appropriate to the challenge. If it's too hard, turn off the aporkalypse. Aporkalypse currently exists to discourage lollygagging.

You said the only "viable" method was to "undeniably" start in hamlet.

dude...  u don't wanna understand what I'm trying to say at all!! I'm not saying " too hard.. pls nerf... sniff" xD

I'm not saying it's hard... I'm not saying I cannot find the clock and stop the Aporkalypse...

I'm saying I don't wanna be forced into Hamlet just to stop the Aporkalypse if I wanna start world hopping for horns farming or doing other stuff in a new world in RoG or SW....

Day count and seasons are synched and Aporkalypse is not like the other seasons in RoG or SW.. Aporkalypse lasts for ever if you don't look for the clock it before day 61... If you just wanna chill and megabase in SW starting your world from there.. it's gonna be really annoying to deal with Ghosts, etc if you get to Hamlet after day 61 while looking for the Aporkalypse clock for the first time!!!

Pls read Elllilea's post on a possible solution

I think they mean they want it to start only when you first create a Hamlet world, and only have to disable it when they need to from there.
Rather than never going to Hamlet and having to suffer when you do enter past day 61. 

I kind of like it how it is, though.

1 hour ago, KilliasK said:

Maybe you missed where I said the entire point of the aporkalypse is to force your hand.

Thanks to KilliasK's recent comments we've decided to make some balance changes to season challenges

• When it is Summer in Reign of Giants, all flammable objects are in danger of spontaneously combusting. In previous versions, only loaded objects could catch fire.
  • Giants will continue to spawn in worlds even if you are not present.
  • Shipwrecked's volcano is intended to force your hand in delaying the eruptions, as such eruptions can still happen even when you are not in the world. Eruptions can target players in no-Shipwrecked world's now.
    • The volcano staff and Joy of Vulcanology now work outside of Shipwrecked
  • Added the Ancient Fuelweaver
    • If the Fuelweaver is not defeated every 100 days, it will climb out of the Ruins (accompanied by the Ancient Guardian as well as hordes of Shadow Clockworks and Shadow Splumonkeys) and overrun the surface.

We hope you enjoy the new content. 

Sincerely,

Klei Entertainment

3 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Thanks to KilliasK's recent comments we've decided to make some balance changes to season challenges

• When it is Summer in Reign of Giants, all flammable objects are in danger of spontaneously combusting. In previous versions, only loaded objects could catch fire.
  • Giants will continue to spawn in worlds even if you are not present.
  • Shipwrecked's volcano is intended to force your hand in delaying the eruptions, as such eruptions can still happen even when you are not in the world. Eruptions can target players in no-Shipwrecked world's now.
    • The volcano staff and Joy of Vulcanology now work outside of Shipwrecked
  • Added the Ancient Fuelweaver
    • If the Fuelweaver is not defeated every 100 days, it will climb out of the Ruins (accompanied by the Ancient Guardian as well as hordes of Shadow Clockworks and Shadow Splumonkeys) and overrun the surface.

We hope you enjoy the new content. 

Sincerely,

Klei Entertainment

That's cute and all, but the aporkalypse doesn't do anything until you arrive in hamlet, the same as any other season and any other time based event/spawn in any dlc. Your sarcasm doesn't make sense.

So I just world hopped from RoG to Hamlet for the first time today, and yes, I can definitely say this needs to be changed ASAP. If you don't make it into Hamlet before day 60 you are pretty much screwed.

The Aporkalypse timer should only begin when you first enter Hamlet.

13 hours ago, KilliasK said:

That's cute and all, but the aporkalypse doesn't do anything until you arrive in hamlet, the same as any other season and any other time based event/spawn in any dlc. Your sarcasm doesn't make sense.

Why should I have to world hop every 60 days to prevent the Aporkalypse? It is just as stupid as going to RoG for the first time, only to find out that the whole world burned down, or arriving in SW to find Sealnado right on top of the Seaworthy. The game sets the precedent that nothing changes in a world while you are gone except spoilage and season change, yet the Aporkalypse completely ignores that precedent.

Just now, S19TealPenguin said:

Why should I have to world hop every 60 days to prevent the Aporkalypse? It is just as stupid as going to RoG for the first time, only to find out that the whole world burned down, or arriving in SW to find Sealnado right on top of the Seaworthy. The game sets the precedent that nothing changes in a world while you are gone except spoilage and season change, yet the Aporkalypse completely ignores that precedent.

First I'm going to address the complaint of Aporkalypse ignoring the precedence set, seeing as it's the least relevant part of your post. To be frank, it's a complete non-argument. Hamlet isn't a retread of the same content. Hamlet is meant to be very different (and more difficult) than prior content, similarly to Shipwrecked. The only precedence that Hamlet needs to respect is the core gameplay. The Aporkalypse isn't a true season so it's expected for it to not follow all the same rules of an actual season. Season exist in conjunction with the Aporkalypse. If you want to complain about precedences being ignored, then we can talk about how Hamlet has permanent and craftable light sources that can't be completely destroy by any entity other than the player and can be easily repaired. Or we can talk about how you're able to craft a house that makes you and what ever you store inside completely safe from most things outside and can't be completely destroyed by any entity or force other than the player. Or we can talk about the shops that allow you to trivialize most non-Hamlet content. Hell, the 3 things I just mentioned trivialize non-hamlet content almost entirely.

Now, as to why you should have to hop ever 60 days to prevent the Aporkalypse. Well, you don't. The aporkalypse is completely benign when you aren't in Hamlet. Nothing gets destroyed and you aren't at all effected until you entire the world. You can always wait til you're completely prepared to deal with it to actually deal with it. The game offers you plenty of safety nets so failure isn't that big of a deal. Or you can turn it off. Your comparison is nothing but hyperbole. The ancient herald and the bat waves take time to spawn so you'll never enter a world that is in utter chaos unless you left it that way. Even then, certain things deactivate like fires and aggro.

I don't want to timer turned off while you aren't there because it will trivialize it. The entire point of it is to force agency. It is the one bit content that isn't in anyway avoidable. If you want to have the extreme benefits of Hamlet, you have to deal with the downside which is an impending and inevitable doom. Even that isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Don't Starve is a game about survival. Survival doesn't mean lollygagging and base decorating. Having unstoppable force to contend with is the core of any survival experience, not just video game survival. The Aporkalypse sort of lives up to that "uncompromising" tagline which is a precedence that's been largely ignored for a long time.

22 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

First I'm going to address the complaint of Aporkalypse ignoring the precedence set, seeing as it's the least relevant part of your post. To be frank, it's a complete non-argument. Hamlet isn't a retread of the same content. Hamlet is meant to be very different (and more difficult) than prior content, similarly to Shipwrecked. The only precedence that Hamlet needs to respect is the core gameplay. The Aporkalypse isn't a true season so it's expected for it to not follow all the same rules of an actual season. Season exist in conjunction with the Aporkalypse. If you want to complain about precedences being ignored, then we can talk about how Hamlet has permanent and craftable light sources that can't be completely destroy by any entity other than the player and can be easily repaired. Or we can talk about how you're able to craft a house that makes you and what ever you store inside completely safe from most things outside and can't be completely destroyed by any entity or force other than the player. Or we can talk about the shops that allow you to trivialize most non-Hamlet content. Hell, the 3 things I just mentioned trivialize non-hamlet content almost entirely.

Now, as to why you should have to hop ever 60 days to prevent the Aporkalypse. Well, you don't. The aporkalypse is completely benign when you aren't in Hamlet. Nothing gets destroyed and you aren't at all effected until you entire the world. You can always wait til you're completely prepared to deal with it to actually deal with it. The game offers you plenty of safety nets so failure isn't that big of a deal. Or you can turn it off. Your comparison is nothing but hyperbole. The ancient herald and the bat waves take time to spawn so you'll never enter a world that is in utter chaos unless you left it that way. Even then, certain things deactivate like fires and aggro.

I don't want to timer turned off while you aren't there because it will trivialize it. The entire point of it is to force agency. It is the one bit content that isn't in anyway avoidable. If you want to have the extreme benefits of Hamlet, you have to deal with the downside which is an impending and inevitable doom. Even that isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Don't Starve is a game about survival. Survival doesn't mean lollygagging and base decorating. Having unstoppable force to contend with is the core of any survival experience, not just video game survival. The Aporkalypse sort of lives up to that "uncompromising" tagline which is a precedence that's been largely ignored for a long time.

Noone is tying to trivialize it... Just not force it if u haven't even touched Hamlet for the first time. 

After a couple of days aporkalypse waves begin and I can assure you dealing with them plus the herald plus frog attacks is gonna be a guaranteed rip while trying to look for the calender inside tiny rooms fighting ancient spirits ... The rooms inside the ruins are super small and u need to bring explosives now to open the suspicious cracks ... No more pillar cheese 

BTW... U say "just turn it off" but u didn't even know u can't, did u? ... There is no option for it in the world gen... 

But even if it was, I would never wanted to turn it off.. I just want 60 days to explore Hamlet before it hits... Cuz as I said before... Day count is synced in all worlds

And even if you don't want to admit it... aporkalypse is a season... The only difference is you can stop it and it's controlled by a clock 

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

BTW... U say "just turn it off" but u didn't even know u can't, did u? ... There is no option for it in the world gen... 

Well I apologize, I didn't realize they removed the option to turn off the aporkalypse.

After a couple of days aporkalypse waves begin and I can assure you dealing with them plus the herald plus frog attacks is gonna be a guaranteed rip while trying to look for the calender inside tiny rooms fighting ancient spirits ... The rooms inside the ruins are super small and u need to bring explosives now to open the suspicious cracks ... No more pillar cheese 

I've done it before and you can use pillars to knock down the the hidden doors. In fact, my first time doing it was with Maxwell. The aporkalypse started 10 days after I world hopped, which was just enough time to get a skyworthy, a gas mask, and a stocked up house. I didn't start looking for the aporkalypse calendar into after the aporkalypse started.

And even if you don't want to admit it... aporkalypse is a season...

Surely you can backup such a claim, right? Either way, that's a semantic argument. Aporkalypse doesn't follow the same rules, which was my point and you seem to agree with it.

Noone is tying to trivialize it... Just not force it if u haven't even touched Hamlet for the first time. 

That's a contradictory statement. Giving you a 60 days on top of your RoG time completely trivializes it. By the time you reach Hamlet, you should easily have plenty of items to sell for hundreds of oincs.

6 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

That's a contradictory statement. Giving you a 60 days on top of your RoG time completely trivializes it. By the time you reach Hamlet, you should easily have plenty of items to sell for hundreds of oincs.

How can you sell them when the shops are closed during the Aporkalypse?

Archived