Speculation on Woodie Revamp

1 hour ago, Queron81 said:

• Timberyard, where you can store a lot of wood (like 25 stacks)
  • Bridges, to connect pieces of the map, that are very close together (you would need a lot of wooden planks and ropes for it)

Both of these suggestions are awesome. Bridges would make him unique and tbh super useful. A real reason to take him for a spin for a while. 

1 hour ago, Queron81 said:

He could befriend treeguards with something, only he could craft. If he attacks a mob or boss, the treeguard will also attack it.

That would be a bit broken... Dunno.. I don't think it's really need cuz tree guards can be aggroed very easily. Not really needed. 

----

I personally would love if he had a dog companion...

the dog protects his things when he is in beaver form and helps him gather resources, maybe even fight.

From his quotes, it makes a lot of sense. he refers dogs and sledges a lot and how adorable would be a sort of artic dog carrying Lucy in its mouth or Woodie's backpack.

He could even have his own sledge pulled by the dog with some extra carrying capacity for moving resources or even the suspicious marble pieces. 

Even though this probably will never happen for multiple reasons, I like the idea of Woodie being knocked out (like a Mandrake) when transforming from a beaver to a human, which gives a nod to Woodie being knocked out and waking up the next day in Singleplayer.

Plus it might also be fun to be exploring a pub and randomly seeing a sleeping Woodie.

I really like the idea of him having some unique craftables. Specifically the bear trap, and maybe something like a bridge. I don't think befriending a tree guard would make any sense ("so I just slaughtered all your friends and family; wanna be buddies?"), but I do hope he retains his animal friendship perk. I think that fits his werebeaverness, and his general love of animals (aside from birds).

I'm actually really glad to see a couple of Woodie mains that are very happy with him as he is and that they like him for his resource gathering perks rather than how strong the werebeaver is combat wise~ I'm afraid that I'm still a little skeptical that he's better than Maxwell at resource gathering, but I definitely think that the two of them aren't that far off whatever the case may be. I do still kind of feel like his transformation should at least be equal parts bad and good. I mean, Lucy certainly treats it as a very bad thing. Maybe I just like the idea of Woodie being the best character at gathering logs without the need to transform? I really don't know ha ha. (And again, I don't have a ton of experience with either so my opinion isn't very valuable to begin with)

Let's also remember to keep this in mind though. Maxwell will also be getting a character rework at some point, and we don't know what Klei is planning for either of them.

Um, I thought woodie retains the backpack during his transformation? Only hats fall off, but you can just store the hat in the pack before going beaver, and Lucy can't be stolen (she can even be recalled), so dropping items on transformation should hardly be an issue unless your inventory is just filled with things you don't need.

Edit: just tested and yes, this is the case. Just goes to show how many people on the forums are willing to critically tear through a character they haven't even played.

7 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

and his "natural" heat protection isn't even that good to consider it a perk at all in human form 

It's not negligible. It's the difference between getting through winter with just a Winter Hat and getting through winter with Hat + rocks wasted on a stone. It's also fabulous if you like joining public servers in winter for a challenge.

49 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

Um, I thought woodie retains the backpack during his transformation? Only hats fall off, but you can just store the hat in the pack before going beaver, and Lucy can't be stolen (she can even be recalled), so dropping items on transformation should hardly be an issue unless your inventory is just filled with things you don't need.

It's not negligible. It's the difference between getting through winter with just a Winter Hat and getting through winter with Hat + rocks wasted on a stone. It's also fabulous if you like joining public servers in winter for a challenge.

He drops the item he is holding in his hand Lucy... Lanterns or whatever he was holding... And hsi helmet

OK.. This is a problem how people think insulation works..

Insulation in winter means the time you can retain the heat without getting cold.. It doesn't mean u can get warm using that insulation value

If you are freezing as woodie human and then transform you are gonna keep on freezing cuz he is not a fireball... he just retains heat better in that form.

So the argument of his insulation equals a tier 5 thermal stone is wrong too. No warmth.. Just warmth retention. 

And that wasting a winter hat that is 120 insulation and thermal stone also false cuz the stone keeps u warm and then the hat allows you to retain the heat longer. A perfect combo. 

Werebeaver is gonna have to get warm at some point cuz even if he can retain a good amount the heat... If the thermal in his inventory gets cold he is unable to make a fire to warm up again... That's the issue... IMO the best way to keep him warm longer in winter is to warm up until overheating then transform.. 240 insulation at that warm is gonna help you retain the heat longer cuz the thermal is gonna get cold faster than the natural 240 retention is gonna wear off.

BTW his natural cold resistance in human form is 45... Which equals the less than the insulation you get from earmuffs (60). No heat of thermal + no 120 insulation... So nope.. Sorry.. That's not a big of a thing to make it a thing. 

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

He drops the item he is holding in his hand Lucy... Lanterns or whatever he was holding... And hsi helmet

OK.. This is a problem how people think insulation works..

Insulation in winter means the time you can retain the heat without getting cold.. It doesn't mean u can get warm in werebeaver Form..

If you are freezing as woodie human and then transform you are gonna keep on freezing cuz he is not a fireball... he just retains heat better in that form.

So the argument of his insulation equals a tier 5 thermal stone is wrong too. No warmth.. Just warmth retention. 

And that wasting a winter hat that is 120 insulation and thermal stone also false cuz the stone keeps u warm and then the hat allows you to retain the heat longer. A perfect combo. 

Werebeaver is gonna have to get warm at some point cuz even if he can retain a good amount the heat... If the thermal in his inventory gets cold he is unable to make a fire to warm up again... That's the issue... 

The only time a woodie player should transform is when chopping trees, because that's the fastest way to lower it. If you're waiting for the beaverness "hunger" to trigger it and transform yourself (say, in the caves where no trees are around), then you can just store your held item in the inventory beforehand. Hats too. The transformation isn't random so you shouldn't be caught unaware (unless I suppose you forgot about a full moon). This is just part of playing the character.

I don't think anyone is claiming that transformation warms you up. I don't think anyone is suggesting that it should, either.

Thermal stone mechanics are different in DST, and the stone does not stack with insulation (I think). I suppose the beard insulation is negligible if you always craft thermal stones for winter, but I don't like to spend rocks when I could be spending silk.

33 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

The only time a woodie player should transform is when chopping trees, because that's the fastest way to lower it. If you're waiting for the beaverness "hunger" to trigger it and transform yourself (say, in the caves where no trees are around), then you can just store your held item in the inventory beforehand. Hats too. The transformation isn't random so you shouldn't be caught unaware (unless I suppose you forgot about a full moon). This is just part of playing the character.

I don't think anyone is claiming that transformation warms you up. I don't think anyone is suggesting that it should, either.

Thermal stone mechanics are different in DST, and the stone does not stack with insulation (I think). I suppose the beard insulation is negligible if you always craft thermal stones for winter, but I don't like to spend rocks when I could be spending silk.

ofc stone stacks with insulation xD

but the thermal stone has a core value of loosing heat and that affects core temperature and then insulation too..

even if you spend all the time as beaver you'll freeze eventually.. again Insulation doesn't equal warmth.. just warmth retention 

Insulation only becomes a factor if the ambient delta is less than 0 (i.e. all ambient heat carried and in the environment is still colder than the player's body temperature), in which case it operates per the ambient delta formula above. Insulation provides steadily less and less protection from cold, so the first item worn makes the biggest difference by far.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Freezing#Mechanics

IMO he should be immune to freezing and overheating in beaver form same as DS. 

and as for loosing his helmet and the items he is holding in his hand... ofc I mean while chopping trees xD... I don't stay on the surface during full moon... 

According to the wiki, fully charged thermal stones add protection from freezing/overheating equal to a beefalo hat/eyebrella respectively, but when you use a fully charged thermal stone and dress items that add about that much protection at the same time, it only actually adds a little bit of extra protection overall, so stacking the two only has negligible effect I guess?

29 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

According to the wiki, fully charged thermal stones add protection from freezing/overheating equal to a beefalo hat/eyebrella respectively, but when you use a fully charged thermal stone and dress items that add about that much protection at the same time, it only actually adds a little bit of extra protection overall, so stacking the two only has negligible effect I guess?

ok.. there are some aspect to freezing:

• core temperature
  • ambient temperature
  • insulation
  • if you use a thermal stone then you also need to factor the lost of heat overtime for thermals

they do combine but they have contrary effects. The thermal stone heats your core temperature but gets cold overtime and can lower you core temperature down

winte hat has only 120 insulation so it helps you to retain the core temperature a bit better but its insulation effect is affected by the thermal stone effects on core temperature.. again.. insulation = warmth retention.. not warmth itself.. 

ambien temperature affects your core temperature, affects your thermal stone temperature and how well you insulation can help you retain your core temperature

thermal stone has a factor of 120 heat loss over time and that's why the winter hat + thermal stone is the perfect combo: insulation 120 against 120 lost insulation from thermal stone's warmth overtime... :)  

that's why I said the best use is warmth til overheating with no thermal stone in the inventory  (just light a tree on fire) and then transforming in werebeaver form to preserve the heat longer without the factor of cooling for the thermal stone over time. It's pretty much the same tactic when u use a beefalo hat.

you can even combine with puffy best for 480 heat retention with no thermal stone for added insulation with no thermal stone cooling effects effects. 

Moon cycle got changed in DST.In DS full moon last 2 nights and in DST last 1 night.Maybe Charlie changed the moon in her new reign and that affects his curse and why he can turn Woodie in full moon at the beaverness cost.There might be lore.Maybe remove the sanity cost in the werebeaver form.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

and in the meanwhile he freezes to death in winter, doesn't have rain protection even tho he is a beaver...(??)

Beavers still get wet but they are immune to it so no need for rain protection.Woodie should be wet after he turns if the werebeaver was wet but the beaver should be immune to weather effects.

4 hours ago, leexklei said:

Moon cycle got changed in DST.In DS full moon last 2 nights and in DST last 1 night.Maybe Charlie changed the moon in her new reign and that affects his curse and why he can turn Woodie in full moon at the beaverness cost.There might be lore.Maybe remove the sanity cost in the werebeaver form.

Beavers still get wet but they are immune to it so no need for rain protection.Woodie should be wet after he turns if the werebeaver was wet but the beaver should be immune to weather effects.

I'm sorry but you are wrong there. Beavers  arent immunute to freezing nor to wetness 

DST 240 insulation  - - DS immune

DST 240 insulation in summer - - DS immune

70% wetness protection

I agree with the last part.. He should be immune to weather effects. 

9 hours ago, Wright said:

I would ride Woodie in werebeaver and normal form 

Are we not going to talk about the fact that this is that guy's first post on the site?

Also adding on to @FreyaMaluk and @leexklei's posts, I feel like cold immunity is a decent idea. However, I feel like a viable downside (besides from going insane in 2 seconds, which I hope gets removed) would be that the Werebeaver would be more vulnerable to the heat, and overheat faster. It would go well with his natural insulation with his beard, and the fact that he's Canadian.

Also, I like the sound of the Werebeaver not being flat-out immune to wetness but being immune to it's effects until he turns back to Woodie.

19 minutes ago, Canis said:

Are we not going to talk about the fact that this is that guy's first post on the site?

Also adding on to @FreyaMaluk and @leexklei's posts, I feel like cold immunity is a decent idea. However, I feel like a viable downside (besides from going insane in 2 seconds, which I hope gets removed) would be that the Werebeaver would be more vulnerable to the heat, and overheat faster. It would go well with his natural insulation with his beard, and the fact that he's Canadian.

Also, I like the sound of the Werebeaver not being flat-out immune to wetness but being immune to it's effects until he turns back to Woodie.

As werebeaver the only wetness effects are freezing and draining sanity... Cuz he cannot carry a weapon and his teeth aren't gonna get slippery all of the sudden. As werebeaver he cannot make a fire  and let's be honest here... Beavers irl are 100% wetness resistant.. Their fur is coded with natural fat. 

I've suggested before in other thread right before the rebalance was announced that he should be immune to cold effects and wetness and he should overheat faster as a downside .. That's fair and fits his character.  

They should drop significantly the sanity drain and give him some natural armor.. Or let him use head gear (my preferred option) and his dmg as werebeaver at least as a spear... Preferably 50 dmg... His teeth cut through rocks.. I bet a bite hurts A LOT.

And he should be the best God d a m n e d  lumberjack in the game.. I want klei to let him reclaim his title. Max has held that one so God d a m n long. 

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

As werebeaver the only wetness effects are freezing and draining sanity... Cuz he cannot carry a weapon and his teeth are gonna get slippery all of the sudden. As werebeaver he cannot make a fire  and let's be honest here... Beavers irl are 100% wetness resistant.. Their fur is coded with natural fat. 

I've suggested before in other thread right before the rebalance was announced that he should be immune to cold effects and wetness and he should overheat faster as a downside .. That's fair and fits his character.  

They should drop significantly the sanity drain and give him some natural armor.. Or let him use head gear (my preferred option) and his dmg as werebeaver at least as a spear... Preferably 50 dmg

And he should be the best God d a m n e d  lumberjack in the game.. I want klei to let him reclaim his title. Max has held that one so God d a m n long. 

amen

4 hours ago, Canis said:

This is how it works in DS.Werebeaver still gets wet but is immune to it.

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong there. Beavers  arent immunute to freezing nor to wetness 

DST 240 insulation  - - DS immune

DST 240 insulation in summer - - DS immune

70% wetness protection

I agree with the last part.. He should be immune to weather effects. 

He still gets sanity aura if he s wet in DST and weather effects.Forgot he s not immune to it in DST.Maybe give him a logbrella eh?

Archived