'Useless' Items You've Find/Found Useful

Although the Bat Bat is stereotyped to be useless, in my most recent world the closest Caves entrance is right next to like 5 bat caves, so I could get bat wings really fast and easily.  I was going for a ruins rush as Wigfrid but was low on Jerky, and couldn't eat blue shrooms so I decided to make a Bat Bat which was surprisingly useful for my HP, and may have even saved my life at one point! (splemonkies)  Has anybody else has had a similar scenario where a 'useless' item saved their life, or was just a tremendous help?

Does the Rain Hat count? I hear alot of folks call that useless.

But I love the Rain Hat, in the case I don't get the eyebrella in co-op worlds it's a nice backup, I lets me use a walking cane for longer before having to dry off, and the lightning insulation it gives is still good for fighting moslings. Or just stopping stupid RNG lighting damage in general.

3 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

Does the Rain Hat count? I hear alot of folks call that useless.

But I love the Rain Hat, in the case I don't get the eyebrella in co-op worlds it's a nice backup, I lets me use a walking cane for longer before having to dry off, and the lightning insulation it gives is still good for fighting moslings. Or just stopping stupid RNG lighting damage in general.

why not use Rain Coat then? It gives 100%.

If you need armor with it then you can use football or shell or crown

20 hours ago, Hell-met said:

why not use Rain Coat then? It gives 100%.

If you need armor with it then you can use football or shell or crown

It's usually time-consuming to get the rare tentacle spots, if not dangerous. Rngesus can be too tryhard and so it's far less reliable than the easy over-there ingredients of rain hat, specially when you are not playing just for chilling survival, but also under bosses schedules(I dont use eyebrella).

Pumpkin lantern. Thought this thing sucked but appearently it’s been heavily buffed in DST. It lasts around 53 minutes in autumn and spring, so you can plant them around your base for light. I find them useful if you have a surplus of pumpkins. (Plus I can’t eat them as Wigfrid) Also: if you play with the Hallows Eve event, they last a whopping 213 minutes in Autumn and Spring.

2 hours ago, seffard said:

It's usually time-consuming to get the rare tentacle spots, if not dangerous. Rngesus can be too tryhard and so it's far less reliable than the easy over-there ingredients of rain hat, specially when you are not playing just for chilling survival, but also under bosses schedules(I dont use eyebrella).

and if you have a wicker, she'd like to have them for her... "books"...

Ice staves are pretty cheap and can be used to draw aggro, buy time, slay birds, and most importantly douse wildfires from a distance in the summer. They're one of the better tier 1 magic items imo.

Tents are also quite nice for restoring health when you've no healing items around or would rather just save them for later. They also add aesthetic to a base and are fairly cheap to craft with a good supply of silk.

Archived