Little changes - Huge impact

46 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

this helps us spend more time implementing and less time hunting through the forum.

That´s the goal here ;)

46 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I'm not going to comment on each item

Glad to reviece a comment in the first place xD

33 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Nice, thanks everyone for posting all your thoughts here, and weighing in.

I was actually a bit concerned that this thread was getting a bit too noisy to be of use to you as a developer, and that it was, despite Lilalaunekuh's best intentions, turning into a "suggestions forum ver. 2" thread.

Here's my tiny one: It would be nice if ladders were either not broken by meteorites, and/or were not usable while broken.

Right now it just creates a huge incentive to disable autorepair on them and deal with having a unhelpful entry in the status list all the time (namely "N broken items" and you mouse-over and it says "X ladders" and maybe it does or doesn't say some other part is broken that you care about).

I think we need a cleanup on the critter management mechanic. Moving a critter from one room to another requires just a dropoff which makes plastic traps a waste of plastic. It`s also not obvious that it can be done that way. It needs some cleaning up. Like making only tame critters wranglable at the dropoff and introducing an aerial critter trap. Maybe also make the traps reusable so it`s not wasting resources to build them.

I would really like a water tap - a pipe ending in a tap from which dups could get a bottle of water from instead of having to run all the way back to the pitcher pump located in the pool of water.  They can build space rockets but still  have to use a pitcher pump end game to get a bottle of water?

3 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

They can build space rockets but still  have to use a pitcher pump end game to get a bottle of water?

Out of curiosity, what are you using bottled water for when you have rockets?

Just a quick bump and a quick head-up about our impact in this thread:

Spoiler

At day 4 we had a developer comment and now after day 5 the first things in my/our list started to appear in the patch notes <3

=> If you still have something to add here please do so, maybe the little thing that bugged you will be gone in no time ;)

Well here it is

Buffs:

Buildings

Algae distillers: entirely such a cool visual design for no use :(.

Germ sensor, temp sensor and element sensor for conveyor rails.

Critters

Pufts: slime production per po consumed

Pacus: or just buff the above at least to a sustainable point a guy suggested buffs into pufts slime production and for me at least sounded a good move.

Geysers

Polluted oxygen vent -This one maybe op if buffed too much for free oxygen but now its useless for oxy, puft farms. puft + pacu farms, no one could be ever sustained by this, majority of other geysers are really cool and usefull even the chlorine one is better than this one for squeaky pufts farm.

Co2 geyser: Just increase its outputs, all geysers kinda have the trait of " if you do not control this you will endup with problems and with CO2 its just, leave it there open nothing good or bad will happen anyway its cute at least kkk.

Nerfs 

Geysers

Cool Slush: Super op, love this one but yeah, its just too absurdly strong right now, too much cold polluted water, thats not NECESSARY to nerf this but this one existing makes the others need a better/bigger impact. Could just reduce its output to like 4 kgs average and 6kgs the top tier ones.

Thank you @natanstarke for your input.

I think most of your points would be considered improvements from the majority of players, if we can find and settle for a good solution for each.

Spoiler
10 hours ago, natanstarke said:

Just my personal opinion:

(It´s not the reason I didn´t add your ideas to my first post, it´s about having a by most players acceptable solution.)

• Algae distillers      :  I stopped using them a long time ago, but I would like a revamp so we could appreciate the cute builing a bit more ;)  The big question would be, which change is appropriate ?
  • Puft/pacu                : I think we can all agree that the idea of feeding pacus with puft poo shouldn´t be limited by your own cpu power ;) But I like the current state of mushrooms, so I would argue for a lower algae consumption of pacu.
  • pO2/CO2 vent         : I like to have obviously good/bad geysers, but even a bad geyser should be able to feed at least a "small" setup. (Maybe raise temperature and germ count for the pO2 geyser or maybe give the CO2 geyser a lower average yield of over 100g/s ...)
  • Slush geyser           : Right now the slush geysers are the best geysers you can find by a huge margin. But I wouldn´t want them to change directly (my opinion). I am ok with fixed ouput temperatures on most buildings, but not sure why the water sieve always bugged me. So if we would be worse at handling the low temperature of a slush geyser the provided utility would be ok.

• Conveyor sensors: I am against having all sensors for conveyor rails.

(A bit personal, but I like the idea of needing to apply other rules to design a conveyor system than a pipe network. )

PS: I am mostly against the germ sensor, since it would result in 3 tiles (internal space) large rooms that act as perfect ore scrubbers. (Remove all germs AND does not use chlorine ...)

I remember that along time ago wasn't like this, but nowadays if you discover only one kind of material of one category and select it to a storage, like the image below:
image.png.bf66e32fffeda42182314b049a4fbf76.png

After you discover another kind, it would automatically check the other one as well:

image.png.0355d30c5b530f9fc3c16df79e4253f1.png

I find this particularly annoying because algae and slimes are in the same category, coal and bleach stone in the same, sand and regolith as well, in the early game when you haven't discovered slime, bleach stone and regolith, would not make any difference selecting the category organic, consumable ore and filtration medium, but later in mid-late game if I'm not micro-managing my storage compactors (I make one storage bin for only one kind of material, to improve game performance), my base will start having random polluted oxygens, chlorines or heat emitions because of those storages that were supose to store only algae, but there`s slime and polluted dirt as well.

Don't know if I was clear enough, not english not my first language, sorry

TL;DR Don`t let the game auto check a material for you only because you`ve selected the whole category of a material, before when you didn`t discover all kinds.

2 hours ago, Someone1112 said:

I remember that along time ago wasn't like this, but nowadays if you discover only one kind of material of one category and select it to a storage, like the image below:
image.png.bf66e32fffeda42182314b049a4fbf76.png

After you discover another kind, it would automatically check the other one as well:

image.png.0355d30c5b530f9fc3c16df79e4253f1.png

I find this particularly annoying because algae and slimes are in the same category, coal and bleach stone in the same, sand and regolith as well, in the early game when you haven't discovered slime, bleach stone and regolith, would not make any difference selecting the category organic, consumable ore and filtration medium, but later in mid-late game if I'm not micro-managing my storage compactors (I make one storage bin for only one kind of material, to improve game performance), my base will start having random polluted oxygens, chlorines or heat emitions because of those storages that were supose to store only algae, but there`s slime and polluted dirt as well.

Don't know if I was clear enough, not english not my first language, sorry

TL;DR Don`t let the game auto check a material for you only because you`ve selected the whole category of a material, before when you didn`t discover all kinds.

I agree all new discovered stuff should come unmarked with the exception maybe for worts because they're so cool :)

49 minutes ago, natanstarke said:

I agree all new discovered stuff should come unmarked with the exception maybe for worts because they're so cool :)

I disagree.  You 'discover' all of the troublesome items you don't want stored in 'general storage' early in the game so the annoyance (and I agree it is annoying) of having to micro that ends fairly quickly.  If nothing were auto-added to storage then one would have to be adjusting the storage bins more frequently and more times in total through the game.

My preference would be to have a 'not a first time player' toggle (or simply look for the presence of any previous local save files) that lets me set the storage for all items from the start of the game as the discovery process isn't adding anything positive to the experience.

Edit:  While we're on the topic of item management, we need a way to prune the top right inventory list of items that we once had but will never have again and/or simply don't want to see.  Seeds, critter eggs and food items tend to take up quite a lot of real estate when you are likely only interested in a very small minority of them at any stage of the game but you have to see them all or nothing.

49 minutes ago, malloc said:

I disagree.  You 'discover' all of the troublesome items you don't want stored in 'general storage' early in the game so the annoyance (and I agree it is annoying) of having to micro that ends fairly quickly.  If nothing were auto-added to storage then one would have to be adjusting the storage bins more frequently and more times in total through the game.

My preference would be to have a 'not a first time player' toggle (or simply look for the presence of any previous local save files) that lets me set the storage for all items from the start of the game as the discovery process isn't adding anything positive to the experience.

Edit:  While we're on the topic of item management, we need a way to prune the top right inventory list of items that we once had but will never have again and/or simply don't want to see.  Seeds, critter eggs and food items tend to take up quite a lot of real estate when you are likely only interested in a very small minority of them at any stage of the game but you have to see them all or nothing.

Or maybe another checkbox saying " auto adds stuff of the same category"

1 hour ago, malloc said:

I disagree.  You 'discover' all of the troublesome items you don't want stored in 'general storage' early in the game so the annoyance (and I agree it is annoying) of having to micro that ends fairly quickly.

You or I might discover them early, but others - particularly newer players - might not.  And you're assuming all hazardous materials are early-game discoveries.  What happens if they add, say, radium as a consumable ore that outputs harmful radiation.  It's unlikely such a hazardous material would spawn close to the printing pod, so unless you're paying attention later in the game you may be stuffing a harmful substance in your storage compactor along with your coal.

38 minutes ago, natanstarke said:

Or maybe another checkbox saying " auto adds stuff of the same category"

Categories already have three states: empty (nothing inside selected), selected (everything inside selected), and partial (some items inside selected, some not).

IMHO the best way to solve the issue is to just allow setting the category to the "partial" state even if everything inside is currently checked, and make it so newly discovered items are not automatically checked if the category is only set to "partial".

As I stated in another post, flip the liquid input and output in the sinks, lavatories, and showers. Right now its backwards. The drains should be at the bottom, and the water input in the middle or top. 

40 minutes ago, Entrails said:

As I stated in another post, flip the liquid input and output in the sinks, lavatories, and showers. Right now its backwards. The drains should be at the bottom, and the water input in the middle or top. 

Im already confortable with the ones we have now, but yeah makes total sense flipping them, not a priority but makes sense.

Ok just to clear things up:

Most of the concerns about the storage bin are linked to "inconsistent" categories.

There are just 2 reasons that make me consider to invest the effort into chosing a specific storage for something:

Spoiler

(except for the big 3. point called cpu utilization^^)

1. The material is volatile. (Can be off-gassing like slime/polluted dirt/bleachstone or temperature sensitive materials like algae/plastic)

2. I want to have an local storage to supply a machine or prepare for a bigger build.

Since the 2. one isn´t effected by how materials are selected after discovery, it´s just about handling volatile materials.

=> Maybe a new category for "volatile" resources would be the best solution

• Actually implement room bonuses or change their description (rec room doesn't give any extra morale, massage room doesn't decrease stress, stable doesn't make critters more productive)
  • Way to increase Learning skill outside of research tree/geysers (this is the only 'finite' skill currently in game)
  • Everything in ruins POI's deconstructable
  • Bring back ability to change overlays in screenshot mode (Alt+S)
  • Give the same info for Wild creatures as Tamed ones (e.g. reproduction)

Archived