Can we make a petition for Klei to let us disable INSANITY sound effects?

19 hours ago, jambell said:
On 3/30/2019 at 2:49 AM, FreyaMaluk said:

Awesome Ty so much! 

Could you also consider adding options to regulate following sounds:

voice sounds?

Lucy? 

WX's overcharged? 

Pets? 

Adding these to the list to look at, too! Thanks for the request :)

But I like the sound of being overcharged [1000 days overcharged and I get sad when it runs out and I can hear the nature :'( ]

On a more serious note, I keep my Windows Volume at 30 generally and find that unless I put the in-game volume to 1, the game would be obnoxiously loud (still is, but manageable). (Wes forbid I put it at 5, or even 10). What combinations of OS volume and in-game volumes are other people using?

7 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

But I like the sound of being overcharged [1000 days overcharged and I get sad when it runs out and I can hear the nature :'( ]

On a more serious note, I keep my Windows Volume at 30 generally and find that unless I put the in-game volume to 1, the game would be obnoxiously loud (still is, but manageable). (Wes forbid I put it at 5, or even 10). What combinations of OS volume and in-game volumes are other people using?

I just use mods to disable those sounds cuz there isn't really you can do in game to modify them

On 4/1/2019 at 10:28 PM, patdogr said:

have you tried closing your ears

do not recommend, I closed my ears and died due to lack of oxygen

On 4/2/2019 at 7:03 AM, lakhnish said:

I crank that bad boy to max and use the volume wheel on my headphones if it's too loud or too quiet. I generally prefer having it loud so I can hear stuff that would people normally gloss over. A common example are the first few barks of an early hound attack.

What’s wrong with the voice sound? All of the characters voices suit them and are appealing to me, (even if Wigfrid blew my eardrums out the first time I played this game) I didn’t think anyone would have a problem with them since you only hear them when you stand still and inspect stuff . Just add the option to lower wigfrids sound and we are all good.

3 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I never disable the sounds, because that is probably the only reason for me to try to stay sane.

The devs already stated they are working in more dynamic sounds...

As with Wagstaff's blurr vision.. This is an option we are asking for ...

I get literally ill from this sounds... Literally... 

If you don't disable them.. That's awesome and nothing is affecting u.. 

For the people like me and in behalf  of 3.946 subs to @CarlZalph's mod... This is a great idea and since we asked for an OPTION .. Not a permanent change to everybody.. Win win everybody is happy 

On 4/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, lakhnish said:

Didn't u read the "option to regulate" part in there? 

On 4/1/2019 at 12:14 PM, jambell said:

Would be cool if you guys also added all of these new options for volume to the Switch version,

Oh and hamlet too :D

On 4/22/2019 at 12:38 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I get literally ill from this sounds... Literally... 

You aren't the only one. If I am remotely sick I don't dare open the game because I know the sanity effects will make it worse. Especially the looping sound of insanity during winter or caves.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, lakhnish said:

What combinations of OS volume and in-game volumes are other people using?

Agreed, they are too loud with all options, and they dont really change much with each value. I leave all game sounds at 1, and music at 0 (I finallly got tired of the ingame music, so I listen to my music on the background). Usually my windows volume is around halfway.

With those levels, insanity sounds are not as annoying.

• Developer
On 01/04/2019 at 11:14 AM, jambell said:

Hey folks, I should clarify here that I didn't say the intent was to add options to disable all of these problematic sounds in the options menu, but instead to work on making those sounds more dynamic so you are never bothered by them enough to want to disable them. Very often, we've found that when a player is requesting the ability to disable a sound it actually just means the sound is too loud or just doesn't play back dynamically enough.

Ideally, we can get the sounds sitting in a place where you never even think of wanting to disable them, but if for whatever unlikely reason finding that balance is impossible, then we could look to add an option to disable a specific set of sounds. Given that list, I don't think a toggle for enabling/disabling all those cases will be necessary :) with Lucy for example, her voice is just way too loud because her frequency content is quite piercing. After experimenting with just plain ol' turning it down, I think it would be enough to satisfy anybody that would otherwise want to turn her voice off entirely.

All this said, this is still on the list! My apologies that it's been a bit longer coming.

And don't forget, modding exists as a means to 'stick it to the man' and do things your way.

So if in the event that the audio edits aren't to your liking, then there's always the option to make your own changes to suit your needs.

All of the mods that I put onto the workshop that turn things off was because they annoyed me or I didn't want to deal with 'em anymore and figured someone else out there might feel the same.

8 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

And don't forget, modding exists as a means to 'stick it to the man' and do things your way.

So if in the event that the audio edits aren't to your liking, then there's always the option to make your own changes to suit your needs.

All of the mods that I put onto the workshop that turn things off was because they annoyed me or I didn't want to deal with 'em anymore and figured someone else out there might feel the same.

Ps4 peasant signing in.

As one friendly neighbor to another, could I get a cup of MODS please ;-;

12 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I don't agree with the idea of "stick it to the man" cuz for me insanity sounds are a health issue.. I can't literally play with them unless I wanna get a migraine. 

But I do appreciate a lot there are options for people like me, also for the "blur" disabler as well.. 

11 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

@jambell While also on the topic of insanity effects, could you guys also take a look at the visual effects of insanity as well? Shadows become almost invisible on forest turf and they're also difficult to see when snow covers everything.

This might be able to be solved by having shadows have a slightly visible outline to help make it pop out from its backgrounds.  Like how cursors work.

I wonder how hard that'd be to make in a mod, I'll see what's available.

Not seeing really anything that'd be easily done for mods to make them have an outside highlight effect without making the entire inside body also highlight.

Archived