QoL Upgrade Mk 3 Now Open For Testing! [320058]

17 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:

wow...now it's easier to drown dupes?

More like now no more stuffing around manually telling a dupe to go into a body of water before they'll even consider doing a task further through it.  

The limit on how far they could go always seemed weirdly tiny. The little guys have a pretty impressive lung capacity, the only times I've had ones at risk of drowning/suffocating is when they trapped themselves in somewhere while building or fell into a pit while digging (or their jetpacks ran out of fuel >_<).  Mostly the limit just seemed to make any alterations to your reservoirs, and similar spots, a giant pain in the proverbial.

Thanks for the new test branch. I personally will not test it like all the other branches before because the debugging tools in the background slain the fps of the game and  i am a person who play a colony up to 2000 cycles. I have lost the patience to suffer with it. Sorry.

I start a new one if it's not in preview anymore. ;)

Another thing i read, u want to release the game in may ?

In my opinion too early. We have no real story (No! Letters and simple emails, codex-pages are not story stuff in my humble opinion and are boring as hell), worldgen could be better. More biomes. U said u add 3 more types. Well, and how much time u have to fix all the new terms ? 2 Weeks ?

The information of future DLC's make me a little bit angry. The game itself isn't finished yet, but u still think of DLC's now....

The last changes in the new test branch confuse me. The germ part of the game is in whole a waste of development time so far. U spent much time to implement the immune system and now cancel it to replace it with a random system ? No good idea. The old system was easy and also not good, yes, it was unnecessary, but the new one isn't better in any way. 

Then the Jobsystem. I thought I said it some days/weeks/months ago. I said: Don't make a rubber game. What I mean ? U add stuff or change stuff to stretch the game playtime. I mean the boring playtime guys! Waiting to death to finish a little part of the game. Something like building / digging and similar. 

To the Job system:

So not everybody in your colony can be a cooker. Just a simple example. It can, I know, but the expectations of the dupes will be increased. So, what is the result ? U are waiting longer to do the same stuff as before. Some people before mentioned it too. You stretch the cycles, but it isn't a good gameplay design. Another problem is, u need more dupes to play the game. More Dupes => More Problems => More Power Needed => More Oxygen Needed => More Food needed. It's an endless cascade to fail.  Another point is the performance of the game with more dupes. I don't repeat my old words. U know u can't play it smooth with 50 Dupes at lategame. I love the game and played it over 1000 hours so far. But if I would just subtract the real waiting parts of the game it will be 300 hours of good gameplay and the rest is:

waiting.thumb.jpg.11a21b4114b0d7e5260527faa3f3c5b4.jpg

So far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
On 3/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, WanderingKid said:

@jambell Thank you.  My headaches thank you as well.  That's exactly what those scanners desperately needed for me.

Is it better now?!

If so I'm glad, man, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jambell said:

Is it better now?!

If so I'm glad, man, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I'll know for sure when I get a proper setup going off the new game for QOL3, but my release day tests of late game saves showed that's already leagues better.  Thank you again!

Can I propose a Paper Tape building?

Stick it onto stuffs to make a note of what that is.

Stick it on a gas pipe, write "CO2 out", another gas pipe, "Cool O2 in." Stick it on a generator, write "Bad backup." Stick it on a storage box, write "Germ. Stay away!"

I mean, here in electrical engineering, we need to use that a lot :D And I find them mighty convenient.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kouromaro said:

Can I propose a Paper Tape building?

Stick it onto stuffs to make a note of what that is.

Stick it on a gas pipe, write "CO2 out", another gas pipe, "Cool O2 in." Stick it on a generator, write "Bad backup." Stick it on a storage box, write "Germ. Stay away!"

I mean, here in electrical engineering, we need to use that a lot :D And I find them mighty convenient.

I'd rather they just implement a "notations" overlay, upon which we can pin notes wherever we want.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goboking said:

I'd rather they just implement a "notations" overlay, upon which we can pin notes wherever we want.

Exactly what I am talking about, mate. But less software-ish and more physical-ish, if you know what I mean :D

Just now, kouromaro said:

Exactly what I am talking about, mate. But less software-ish and more physical-ish, if you know what I mean :D

I know what you were talking about, I'm just proposing cutting out the building and, presumably, the dupe interaction, thus granting us more freedom on when and where we post the notes.

• Like 1

A way to zoom the camera to preselected points in your base would be awesome. It's annoying when I am looking at the oil biome, and then want to check what's going on at the surface of the asteroid. I would really like to bind those points somehow so that afterwards, say, pressing ctrl+1 sends me to the main base, ctrl+2 to the oil biome, and so on.

3 minutes ago, pacovf said:

I would really like to bind those points somehow so that afterwards, say, pressing ctrl+1 sends me to the main base, ctrl+2 to the oil biome, and so on.

You may actually do that already - ctrl to save location, shift to recall :)

Edited by Angpaur
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

You may actually do that already - ctrl to save location, shift to recall :)

Wait, if I understand that properly, can you already save more than one location like that? Because that would be awesome! 

Edited by pacovf

Just my 2 cents after a quick look at the new update. I do not like the new skills/jobs system at all. Why would you do this right before leaving early access? I don't even know where to start. It feels like a step backwards. Even if you really do want to go this direction there is going to be a lot of work scrubbing this and rebalancing its effects. 

In the new skills screen I can't easily see who is the primary dupe assigned to each skill? I have to scroll through them to find out? The little icons in the skills just show me that someone has been assigned but I have to scroll over it to see who? 

So the dupe preference for a job was removed? No more bonus to skill ups for placing them in preferred job? 

The morale system has also wildly changed or been nerfed?

Why would you give us the ability to choose hats different to the dupes primary job? Why would I need that? 

I maybe get the desire to skill up dupes in other areas besides their primary jobs, but that happens anyway as they practice at those skills. So yeah, I don't get it. 

Edited by Entrails
  • Like 1

It affects morale requirement of professions.

Now dupes are getting skill points that you can spend on job "levels" and each of skills spend add up to morale level required to keep duplicant happy. If you will assign skill to job that your duplicant is interested in then morale increase will be lower by 1.

@Entrails

In the new skills screen I can't easily see who is the primary dupe assigned to each skill? I have to scroll through them to find out? The little icons in the skills just show me that someone has been assigned but I have to scroll over it to see who? 

While I agree that with larger population it is hard to manage priorities for duplicants and translate skills in to jobs that duplicant should do mainly, you still get indicator of specific proficiency for each job. And there are hats (on that later).

So the dupe preference for a job was removed? No more bonus to skill ups for placing them in preferred job? 

No, it wasn't. It affects how much morale requirement will increase with skill point distribution in job tree.

The morale system has also wildly changed or been nerfed?

Kinda.. but considering how many skills duplicants are getting it is actually not easy to spend them all at some point and avoid stress due to low morale. So I would say early game is easier as you can get singe job at 3rd rank while bellow 7 morale and that is quite easy to maintain early game but investing skills in useful but not matching "interest" jobs will add up quite quickly to high morale levels.

Why would you give us the ability to choose hats different to the dupes primary job? Why would I need that? 

You can have now more than one high rank job, so hats are actually quite useful to mark "main" job.

I would love to see option to bind job priorities to specific hat. That would make job management easier.

I maybe get the desire to skill up dupes in other areas besides their primary jobs, but that happens anyway as they practice at those skills. So yeah, I don't get it. 

It helps to increase stats of useful jobs out side of "main" tasks. Like not every duplicant will have high science skill but it is quite useful to bump it up as it affects how fast duplicant is getting skill ups. Or carry weight, run speed.

There are skills that not every duplicant "needs" but are still boost for their efficiency.

Edited by Nilfsen
To avoid duble post