QoL Upgrade Mk 3 Now Open For Testing! [320058]

Just started my old base again:

- I see 472 earned skill points (472 notifications I would be forced to click one after an other  ...)

But I can just invest 40 skill points if I open the skills screen (2 per duplicant).

- I can get my duplicant to leave the command module. (No way to make them leave and deconstruction crashes the game^^)

PS: In my short secconds of testing the turbine didn´t heat up much.

=> Can we maybe get away with using the 95°C ouput water to "cool" the steam turbine ?

(Even without reduced flow to prevent phase change.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

" Morale Expectation is cumulative per skill learned, rather than tiered "
That's the most interesting part for me, so far.

I have to say either it is broken or I do not get it. It tells me morale requirement will go up on skill selection, but for one dupe it does and for another it does not.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I have to say either it is broken or I do not get it. It tells me morale requirement will go up on skill selection, but for one dupe it does and for another it does not.

Same here, seems broken.
Not sure what is about the "hat" selection part?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Same here, seems broken.
Not sure what is about the "hat" selection part?

The large "select hat" button doesn't do anything at the moment.  You need to use the dropdown arrow on the right side of where their name, morale, and exp is listed to change it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

Nope.  Build is still build, engineer is still engineer.  Mechantronics will still run off to build a wall or never build anything because build priority still builds sweepers.

I've been hoping they'll implement an expanded priorities option for a while. 

It's part of the reason Fluffy's Rimworld mods are indispensable as Rimworld suffers the same issue. If you want a colonist to cut chunks into stone blocks you have to let them work all crafting jobs despite it having no real connection to that skill :(.  But with the mod you just expand the priorities list then turn that one job on and it's done :).

Hopefully we might see it in the launch patch, otherwise with any luck an industrious modder will figure out how to add it in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, goboking said:

Preliminary Feedback: 

• The Ice Maker should operate when queued, not continuously if powered.

Does it take in automated input, where you can put a clock on it to disable it on and off -  this could help with scheduling its power consumption.

12 minutes ago, goboking said:

Preliminary Feedback: 

• The Ice Maker should operate when queued, not continuously if powered.

I don't see it. My freezer doesn't stop producing ice because I have X amount of Ice in it, I just stop putting in water when I got the amount of ice I need.

4 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Does it take in automated input, where you can put a clock on it to disable it on and off -  this could help with scheduling its power consumption.

Or if it's piped just automate the input.

15 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

It does have automation, so we could rig it to a Smart Storage Compactor if we're willing to burn 60 watts to regulate our ice production.

Can we get the ability to make dupe teams and assign them to projects? Sort of plan a set of buildings and then highlight the plans and assign to a namable project. This would also help with remembering what the goals for the base were when you come back to play after a break. The project is sitting there just waiting to start work. This shouldn't be the default way stuff is handled, but it should definitely be a tool we can use. We could assign the project priority over others and build/name teams of single skill dupes ("the moles", 6 mining dupes than chew thru anything) teams with some special skill combinations (three suppliers, a builder and a miner). I feel like that would be really helpful and relatively easy to implement. Mainly I just need u guys to fix digging vertical ladders. Two dupes go to work and they trade off building and supplying and digging. One runs back a ways and does some worthless task the other finishes moments later and the dude who ran back picks up the next errand at the ladder, causing the dupe currently at the ladder to climb down and do some low priority task. I tried ordering them to dig a tunnel two blocks wide, but the digging always goes faster than the ladder building and the second dupe is still left waiting and as a result runs off. I'd rather two dupes go out to work on the ladder and one just idles while he waits for something to do on the project. It would notify he has nothing to do and that how jobs work irl u just wait around till boss tells you to do something.

Edited by AncientRadioSta
  • Like 8

• New skill system is a bit weird. Hats appear purely cosmetic? Maybe planned to tie into permission/access? Right now they seem like pointless leftovers from jobs and don't affect priority or anything, am I right?
  • Skill points are applied to job/trait roles, which are now called skills; but dupes already have skills (Digging, Build, etc.) from character gen so is this just a labeling conflict? (Maybe I'm mixed up on this, I'll have to check later since I quit the game already.)
  • It's a bit strange to have skill points suddenly materialize for no obvious reason then instantly you give a dupe a skill slot that may have nothing to do with whatever it's been doing. It is much more disconnected than the previous 'leveling up' your job model. I like the apparent goal of more flexibility, but it feels much more game-like and not as intuitive as it is implemented.
  • Disease such as food poisoning still generates randomly in weird terrain that just kills it over time. What's the point of putting food poisoning in rock that is gone before you'll ever dig to it? Or slime in hot algae that will die off if you wait? These are minor but contribute to the annoying feel that you've just been dropped into a freshly made and unstable world instead of a balanced "real" ecosystem.
  • Separating sickness and disease just doesn't make sense. Food poisoning which colloquially would be "being sick" IS caused by disease-causing organisms. Heat-stroke and hypothermia sure, put them as "conditions" or something separate but it would be better not to put them under "sickness" if you also have "disease". It's just confusing.
  • Losing the immune system is kind of a bummer but I'm guessing you couldn't find a way to work it in effectively to make it part of the game in the time available now. I would prefer to see it implemented more manifestly instead of lost but c'est la vie.
  • Some of the "Doctor's Stations" would sound better (IMHO) as "Medical Stations" or similar. Just sounds less clunky in English.
  • Morale doesn't seem to be doing much now as others have pointed out.
  • We don't have a conveyor filter yet do we?

Just my very quick impressions from a couple hours with a new base.

• Like 2

1. The Ice Machine says "A duplicant can work on the machine to convert water into ice". But all a duplicant does is deliver water to it, but the machine does not need a duplicant to operate it actively. Also can we get to have a liquid input port for the ice machine and not have water be delivered to it manually.

2. I am unable to find the 'Insulated Storage'. Where is it available?

Edited by Rogue Witch
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hi space-friends!

As mentioned in the most recent roadmap post, this will be the third and final Quality of Life Upgrade before we prepare to launch the game! And we've got a few rather exciting improvements coming in to testing today:

Nice to see that the game development is coming to a wrap up. Thanks for the efforts. Just a little sad, as a modder, at this point I was expecting some improvements to the mod support. We know that there'll be steam support and we are looking forward to test it.

I've added a list of suggestions here:

Keep the good job!!

11 hours ago, Chaoticlusts said:
  • Unsuited Dupes walking underwater are no longer limited by distance but will travel more slowly

!!!
This so deserves to be in the notable features :)

Until they drown themselves because they get to the point of no return underwater and cant get back

• Haha 2

Why... why... why... would you change the automation input by one tile on some machinery? Didn't notice it right away and now the base is nearly ruined.

But I guess it's time to start a new one! Love you Klei!