Sign in to follow this  
Junksteel

Pacus - Causes of death

Recommended Posts

Sasza22    2,055
11 hours ago, Craigjw said:

At a guess, in order to keep a wild pacu population indefinitely, then the water temperature must be kept quite low in case of a gulp fish being hatched.

Alternatively you can keep the temperature high so that all pacus change to tropical. Those won`t randomly lay gulp eggs so it should be fine.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 11:15 PM, Junksteel said:

Thanks. I'll try that when I have the chance again.
 

This is what I had. Not a real setup, just a gap for them to fall inside a box from the pod and eventually drop meat and egg shells. And they did that no problem for a long time (like 650 cycles) while they were only 16.

They were already showing glum and overcrowded status since the beggining with 8 only...but living, dying and laying eggs as expected. Perfect.

Once I accepted the third packet (hey, why not?) they didn't live for long. First time I took a closer look to the box after that and they were all gone I indeed had to save and close the game few times and didn't register the exact moment they were missing.

I have another tank elsewhere with 7 wild Pacus gathered through digging and they are doing just fine. Their tank is much larger.

fish tank.png

Cause of death for your pacus is Cramped condition.

Cramped creatures stops reproduce (you can see it in Cramped tooltip -100% Reproductivity)

Cramped condition caused by too many creatures in a room. This room on screenshot have 124 cells, so only 10 pacus can reasonably survive there, and possibly less if theirs eggs layed down simultaneously.

It may be water pool 1×1 and they became Overcrowded - this isn't important. They be Gloom, but perfectly safe.

But room must be able to accommodate them, or they became Cramped and stop reproduce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    230
On 26/03/2019 at 12:54 PM, Saturnus said:

welfare pod

I just love the way you named it xD

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    335
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

Cause of death for your pacus is Cramped condition.

Cramped creatures stops reproduce (you can see it in Cramped tooltip -100% Reproductivity)

Cramped condition caused by too many creatures in a room. This room on screenshot have 124 cells, so only 10 pacus can reasonably survive there, and possibly less if theirs eggs layed down simultaneously.

It may be water pool 1×1 and they became Overcrowded - this isn't important. They be Gloom, but perfectly safe.

But room must be able to accommodate them, or they became Cramped and stop reproduce

Cramped & overcrowded seems to do not affect the "just lay one egg before dying, Flounder. You'll  not die in vain." effect. I've tons of fish under my pod, tiny tank also, only getting those from the printer, and they reproduce at expected ratio. It's been like this maybe 1500 cycles, and it's still ok. I keep thinking of a (punishing) bug.

Edited by OxCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mullematsch    176

I don't think I ever had any wild pacus die no matter the size of the tank provided you remove the eggs to prevent the cramped condition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    2,055
4 hours ago, OxCD said:

Cramped & overcrowded seems to do not affect the "just lay one egg before dying,

Wild critters when cramped won`t lay eggs. I got all my wild hatches extinct once after i locked off the room i put them all in. But this apparently didn`t happen to pacus as they didn`t get the cramped status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miauly    115
Posted (edited)

I have asked this question about pacu being cramped on the forum earlier, and @Grimgaw provided me with a formula which I tested and it seem to be correct (with a minor change):

Number of Pacus + Eggs * 8 > Number of tiles in a room = cramped

Number of Pacus * 8 > Number of tiles in a pool = overcrowded 

This explains why wild pacus don't get cramped in the wild - they are rarely in any "room". Within a base they can happen to be in a room on the other hand and as you can see, it's quite easy for them to get cramped in there.

It does not seem logical that two statuses depend on sizes of different things. On the other hand, if cramped was based on the pool size, wild pacus would mostly fail to reproduce, and to keep for example 8 wild pacus from the pod alive by self-reproducing you would need an enormous tank - so in the end it makes sense.

Edited by miauly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OxCD said:

Cramped & overcrowded seems to do not affect the "just lay one egg before dying, Flounder. You'll  not die in vain." effect. I've tons of fish under my pod, tiny tank also, only getting those from the printer, and they reproduce at expected ratio. It's been like this maybe 1500 cycles, and it's still ok. I keep thinking of a (punishing) bug.

Well, you are wrong here.

Cramped condition cancels reproductivity. To be cramped, wild critter must be in a ROOM with less than their "space required". For pacus this is 8, as far as I can remember. So if they happens to be in a room (not pool, room) and have less than 8 cells per pacu (including eggs) they stops reproduce. This is fatal, because they mostly never be able to bring an egg, if they spend some time with Cramped condition.

Of you sometime see a meat inside 3 cells empty space - this was some cramped critter

For pacus you can have a pool 1×1 and this makes them Overcrowded and Gloom, but this doesn't matter.

But if this pool happens to be in a room with less than 8 cells per pacu - they became Cramped and die out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oosyrag    51

Pacu will be overcrowded if you have less than 8 tiles of water per pacu. This does not affect their wild/glum reproduction rate (6.6~%/cycle).

Pacu will become cramped if they are overcrowded AND there is an egg in their room (expecting). This will reduce their reproduction rate to 0.

Remove the eggs from the room immediately as they are laid and they will sustain their population, minus any gulp fish that die before they get their egg out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    335
8 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

Well, you are wrong here.

Cramped condition cancels reproductivity. To be cramped, wild critter must be in a ROOM with less than their "space required". For pacus this is 8, as far as I can remember. So if they happens to be in a room (not pool, room) and have less than 8 cells per pacu (including eggs) they stops reproduce. This is fatal, because they mostly never be able to bring an egg, if they spend some time with Cramped condition.

Of you sometime see a meat inside 3 cells empty space - this was some cramped critter

For pacus you can have a pool 1×1 and this makes them Overcrowded and Gloom, but this doesn't matter.

But if this pool happens to be in a room with less than 8 cells per pacu - they became Cramped and die out

Well I forgot to specify my pool is opened. Not typically wrong, but there was a lack of precision.

Just don't close the pool under the POD, if it's just for auto-sustainability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    335

I do confirm one thing. There is a bug with disapearing critters.

Both waiting room were full, one with drecko, other with glossy. I've 77 critters on the left one. I shoud have a bit less on the right room (last time I've checked, I had 50 approx).

Today I check, and there's no drecko at all into the right one.

Egg-laying drecko are elsewhere, in a good shape, and those are regularly provisionning this waiting room. I still have dozens of incubating eggs into the waiting room.

image.thumb.png.b1112907de8a4bb4d936907a1ac4761a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this