Music thread

Tapirus

On 7/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Found this crazy French band. Enjoy.

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

The first song sounds like if a Hunter from Bloodborne was rolling on MDMA while raving through Yarnham. 

The second one sounds like if Gogol Bordello started a metal side project. Gypsycore?

Crazy French band indeed!

I think you filthy sinners need some of the Lord's music to get that spirit back in check. Here's some wholesome Christian music to pray on this week. 

Underoath - Writing on the Walls

Spoiler

Emery - Listening to Freddy Mercury 

Spoiler

Sleeping Giant - No Love

Spoiler

Impending Doom - War Music

Spoiler

With Blood Comes Cleansing - Hematidrosis

Spoiler

/s

Bonus salvation: our youth group worship band would literally play this song sometimes and it was epic. If you didn't mosh at church you missed out. 

Underoath - Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape

Spoiler

Just heard this for the first time. Not bad. Thanks recommended music YouTube algorithms! 

Feng Suave - Sink into the Floor

Spoiler

Not my usual cup of tea, but sometimes you hear a jam so groovy it demands your attention. 

Reminds me of the great Marc Rebillet

In the Summer

Spoiler

Spoiler

can't you see? I'm smiling. now I'm not left here hanging

can't you see? I'm standing strong, I've grown, I'm more than you"ll know

I know my future holds me nothing less than the world's best, and I'm

enjoying my ride, loving this time 'cause my life is shining bright

don't close your eyes, don't wave good-bye, just take a chance

and take a look inside your heart

then you will find that down beneath there's dream you've always had, so

see that there is more to life that what you've been through before

come on baby i will show you how come on and give it a try

we're singing dat ta la la lat ta ta ta la...

can't you see? I'm smiling. now I'm not left here hanging

can't you see? I'm standing strong, I've grown, I'm more than you"ll know

I know my future holds me nothing less than the world's best, and I'm

enjoying my ride, loving this time 'cause my life is shining bright

then you will find that down beneath there's dream you've always had, so

see that there is more to life that what you've been through before

keep on singing' yeah-

keep on believing yeah-

hold on i'll be there- right by your side

I'll be the one to make you smile

On 8/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, watermelen671 said:

Change-My-Mind.jpg.16a0fbfe6f7dcad3dad159b340c9c865.jpg

PS You can't change my mind. :wilson_sneaky:

Hide contents

And yes by all of them I basically mean just 2 and 3...but you're welcome to listen to them all. :wilson_dorky:

Yoko Shimomura is a magnificent composer and you people will listen to her master pieces!

I regretfully haven't played 3 yet. I loved 1 and 2 though. My wife was walked down the aisle to a piano playing Dearly Beloved so it'll always be a favorite of mine. 

Spoiler

I...really can't place my musical preferences, they're somewhat all-over-the-place. The only patterns I can somewhat spot are in pacing (my preference there changing by mood) and how much I enjoy complimentary layers/conflicting instruments used to compliment eachother; outside of that, I'd say the primary force behind my preferences is synesthesia. Association of certain songs with certain events, time periods, people, moments in games and stories...and quite a few associations with scenes from a cooperative writing thing that I did, once upon a time, and still come up with scenes for sometimes for my own enjoyment. Nothing writes a scene quite like some good music for pacing.
For reasons relating to that, I do tend to prefer music without lyrics. The usage of vocals is fine 'as an instrument', and sometimes even full-on singing can be ok if it compliments the melody well enough...but typically, a lack of speech leaves my mind free to wander as it pleases, and I find that instruments can often perform the melodic role usually reserved by lyrics.

Pondering aside, though.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, ResettePlayer said:

[LISA snip]

The first time that song plays in-game (it's slower; all the songs have speed variants), it's at a moment that can be taken pretty emotionally...moreso if you've played LISA: The First, due to the song using the same motif of one of the main songs from there.
It makes it able to hit harder when it's used for later, less extreme encounters. Kind of a 'turning point' song.
LISA: The Painful is a twisted, strange trip, but it's one of my favorites.
Though it took playing through Undertale for the first time to recover from the sheer discomfort brought on by LISA, so play at your own risk, I suppose.
I definitely suggest playing The First first though, for an idea of why a certain character does certain things.

The LISA unofficial community also has some talented creators. This person made quite a few original songs/remixes that I enjoy:

Spoiler

I like the energy and progression of this one.

One of the tracks from that community that I enjoy mostly because of what scene it's attached to among my stories:

Spoiler

https://taitoki.bandcamp.com/track/lisa-the-spiteful-just-run

For the moment when a certain character who thought "I got this" realizes that OH ACTUALLY NO I DON'T GOT THIS

I do greatly enjoy mixes between different songs, as well. I realize how many "Waters of" mixes there are, but I feel these two compliment eachother well:

Spoiler

doot doot

source.gif.6ce7ffd649eac538b6385c11a28081ac.gif

Have some Sakuzyo:

Spoiler

I love that this genre has taken off in recent years.

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

I...really can't place my musical preferences, they're somewhat all-over-the-place. 

I feel ya. When people ask I always just say I like GOOD music. I lean towards heavier genres, but I'm always finding non-hardcore songs I like. 

I'm not big fan of electronic, but as always, there's a few bangers I like. 

Ephixa - Lost Woods Remix

Spoiler

his Song of Storms is pretty dope too

Spoiler

Due to its inherent heaviness I obviously lean towards dubstep when it comes to electronic music. 

Skrillex -  First of the Year (Equinox)

Spoiler

Bassnectar & Peekaboo - Illusion ft. Born I

Spoiler

BONUS: A lot of kids these days don't know Sonny Moore of Skrillex used to be the lead singer of an emo band before his vocal chords went out.

From First to Last - Ride the Wings of Pestilence 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

My wife was walked down the aisle to a piano playing Dearly Beloved so it'll always be a favorite of mine. 

My god...I'd say marry her but you already did. :wilson_ecstatic:

KH 3D also has some nice tracks, so give it a listen as well.

In addition to that I have some other recommendations:

Anybody starting to see a theme?

The genre of "Video Game Music" is so broad and dips its toes into so many other genres that I don't even think it counts. 

Spoiler

Anyways I'll be editing this later to add either specific track recommendations because I can't remember the track names off the top of my head, and/or adding the videos because I'm on mobile and I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of formatting. 

tiredsipp.png.e5ea28931cc68509332e6045575c80d7.png

Also I didn't embed the YouTube videos directly into the post because I was getting sick and tired of the stupid videos glitching and clipping and overlapping the UI. :wilson_unimpressed:

On 8/25/2019 at 6:02 AM, watermelen671 said:

The genre of "Video Game Music" is so broad and dips its toes into so many other genres that I don't even think it counts.

Right? I'm still trying to figure out this conundrum, given that a lot of what I like falls in that category, or other soundtracks. Makes sense though; songs made for that context are meant to push a person's emotions in a certain direction, to amplify the moment.

There are ones that get you pumped up, while telling you 'this is it':

Spoiler

This game was such a nice surprise in general.

Music that gives things a foreign, mysterious feel:

Spoiler

...yes, I know. But the first game in this series was good.

A simple track that hammers in the feeling of "This place is wrong.":

Spoiler

Old game, but enjoyable. This tune in particular really stuck with me, and I can pretty much see the rooms from the lab area upon hearing it.

I love game music.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:25 AM, maradyne said:

The usage of vocals is fine 'as an instrument', and sometimes even full-on singing can be ok if it compliments the melody well enough...

While vocals aren't normally my thing, I like the way that Fair to Midland uses them:

Spoiler

Though they've disbanded now, this band remains one of my favorites. Upon finally getting an up to date phone, my first major data usage was messing with voice commands to play one of their other songs while on a trip.

The general tone of their music has one heck of a range, too:

Spoiler

This always reminds me of an old friend; the one who introduced me to this band, as well as other bands and types of music, and really ignited my musical interest in general. And showed me the wonders of Photoshop. And drawing. And writing. And not being afraid to be odd. And...well, everything.
It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that I found life through my Senpai.

And now, here's an accordion remix of an instrumental remix of dark symphonic chanting.
Also Seinfeld because of eldritch clown god reasons.
I recall @minespatch enjoying this one in the past?

Spoiler

In case you happen to remember, yes. But shhh.

One of my favourite video games ever is Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, which has a soundtrack with so much personality it kind of beats you over the head with it. Which is great, because all the different characters and environments call for that personality and individuality,

However diverse it may be, it's also undeniably from the same game. 

Full soundtrack: https://youtu.be/3j3VL70JpBo

Some stuff I've pulled in the event you don't have four hours to kill. There are other gems though! It was really hard culling this down. There were many I nearly linked but didn't. Maybe I'll post more later.

Spoiler

This song seized my witless childhood soul and never let it go.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm putting three skeezy dude themes into one spoiler 'cos I couldn't decide which one.

Spoiler

For all the grief this game gives Bowser, this song is sick.

Spoiler

I've posted a couple songs from Off before, but I like this one a lot. Super stressful and very fitting for it's boss.

Spoiler

Also, for the uninitiated: ONI is real good. Very not stressful, this song.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Also, for the uninitiated: ONI is real good. Very not stressful, this song.

Mm, I'm not the biggest ONI player, but I really do love the music.
The mod in my sig adds the soundtrack to Rimworld (giving it a chance to play without removing the vanilla music, like most music mods). Most of it is more or less straight from the Youtube uploads, or files from @watermelen671's data mining posts given some editing, with timing and volume adjustments typical to music mods.
...but then there's this.
This song is the bane of my existence.
When I first got ONI back in the early beta, it typically played when everything was getting out of hand.
It was the song that told me "Yea, this colony is doomed."

...so I assigned it as combat-specific using a couple different variants of the song, and despite how simple it was to pull off, the lead-in transition works really well in-game.

ONI-OST_-_Day_Theme_2_Mix.ogg

But hey, back to relaxing game music!
Soul Reaver, an old PlayStation game that was about an even mix between exploration, puzzle-solving, and combat:

Spoiler

It was one of those games with variants depending on what was happening in gameplay at that moment. Mix for this area.

...the second game definitely went in a more chill direction:

Spoiler

...for the most part. Also shares a partial sound-font with Metroid: Fusion?

Less relaxing, but Genos isn't really one to chill.
There's a special place in my heart for edgy Mega Man:

Spoiler

[ANGRY CYBORG NOISES]

Archived