Music thread

Tapirus

@CaptainChaotica Welcome! I like to make some music recommendations based on what others post that they like. I'm usually wrong...but I think you might like Portugal. The Man if you don't know them already. They carry a lot of sounds from different eras in their music that you might appreciate. 

Portugal. The Man - All Your Light 

Spoiler
I'm just a shadow of a bigger man
Glowing brighter with each year I am
I was standing on a mountain
Just looking down (on you, on you)
It's like my daddy said
"You gotta use your head
My body won't work for nobody but me, son"
Yeah, no one said that I aim to please
All your light can't save me
All your light, all your light can't save me
I won't wait, though my time may come
I can't wait, I can't wait, for my time to come
"My body won't work for nobody but me, son"
As a boy, I had it figured out
There are things that you can't live without
But money, it's sad but true, would surely top that list
And your rules (your rules), your rules, well they would not be missed
And I became
Whole again
'Cause no one said, no one said, no one said
There'd be times like these
I said all your light can't save me
All your light, all your light can't save me
I won't wait, though my time may come
I can't wait, I can't wait, for my time to come
No one said there'd be times like these
Well, no one said there'd be times like these
I was licking flames when I broke your reins
Still, no one said, no one said, no one said it'd be suicide

On 2019-06-13 at 5:22 PM, NSAiswatchingus said:

Personal opinion: Vocals are hokey, but every 80's metal vocalist is hokey by today's standards. Instrumentals were ahead of their time though, and should be given respect if you're a metal fan.

I agree, pretty much. Hokey vocals don't usually bother me that much. I, like many, was introduced to them by someone on Twitter describing it as "if Skeletor was the frontman of a heavy metal band" 

Spoiler

The song "Necropolis" is the most Skeletor-y but I like Crystal Logic more

---

Stumbled across this just now

Spoiler

On 2019-06-13 at 6:14 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

As in THIS Wall of Voodoo?

Hah, yup. "Tomorrow" turned up on Supardanil's stream playlist one time. He allows his viewers to make a playlist when he streams, and the master one is pretty huge... might explore it more sometime.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FccirdrrSNBU1nLGHFPgT

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Hide contents

Took 5 and a half minutes but it gets good! 

Parts of it reminded me of this

Arcade Fire - Creature Comfort

Spoiler

The Skeletor imagery actually does help make old metal more enjoyable!

This is the only Mexican Radio for me!

Spoiler

I was sent this new music video last night by an exemployee. 

We Gone - Rich the Factor ft. Lulbaby & Tiggz. 

Spoiler

Lulbaby used to be one of the drivers I manage. She sent me this last night to open the door to a conversation about getting her job back. I say she's hired! lol

Update: just confirmed with the big bossman that we're definitely rehiring this badass. For a KC local it's pretty cool to work with someone that makes music with the 2nd biggest rap producer in the area. Fun fact, I also have had to turn down Adam McGill of the Republic Tigers for a job last year. 

Republic Tigers - Buildings and Mountains

Spoiler

Lyrics:

Spoiler

Yeah...
What am I gonna do today?...

Forget it, I'll do it sometime, oh
I'm locked up on the button
Can't you do it sometime?
Pushed it in too far, oh

Fine, electrify mine, oh
Electrify my golden tooth
Can't look at your eyes
Without sparking some...

Electrify my heart
Electrify my heart

Surprise, I'm in the same time
Beneath the same sun
Oh, yeah...
Oh man you cut me to size
My little buttercup
That hurt…

Fine, electrify mine
Electrify my golden tooth
Can't look at those eyes
Without sparking some...

Electrify my heart
Electrify my heart
Electrify my heart
Electrify my heart

Oh…
Please…

There's such a lot of interesting music in this thread...I don't know where to start!  Well, for one thing, the Bruno Mars vs. Strongbad thing totally made my day.  Ohmygod.  I never noticed how well those two songs go together... XD  

The Sonic Adventure 2 song remix was cool too; but then I've always liked Sonic music.  There's a LOT of cool/catchy stuff in there.  The Neon Genesis Evangelion ("Your Father Really Loves You"--YEAH RIGHT I've heard about Genji Ikari...) one caught my eye too, because, weirdly enough...although I haven't seen their most famous/infamous anime, lately I've been playing an old GAME made by Gainax!  : P

Me...well, I recently went on a bit of a musical...journey? that took me way longer than I thought it would, but I'm pretty happy with the results.  I took one of my custom in-chronological-order decade collections, and turned it into a YouTube playlist, so other people could see it.  I could put it here, but I kinda want to start a new thread for it.  Don't know if anybody here would be that interested--it's for '50s music, I'm probably one of the oldest ones here, and _I_ was born decades afterwards!

But who gives a beep how old music is, as long as it's good?  :)  Also, I kept running into younger people on the comments on a lot of the songs, so it's obviously not just me...

...Notorious

Okay listen up you cool cats, here's my '50s playlist:

The '50s--Chronologically By Year

and lemme tell ya, I definitely put some work in making SURE these were at least somewhat in chronological order.  And I don't mean Wikipedia (which is almost useless for my purposes, really) I mean I went OLDSCHOOL on this beeyotch.  As in...books.  Actual, physical books.  I got into the History of Rock and Roll in a big way in late high school, and ended up buying stuff like the Billboard Book of #1 Hits and a book about Top 40 hits.  Most of the dates were taken from there if the internet didn't help.  Which is...kinda appropriate, considering we're talking about the '50s.  Analog, baby!

I can't seem to put in my own playlist thumbnail, but if I could, I'd use this:

50s.png.bc6ca95222c534cb4368570780ade05b.png

Elegant old-style pop lady on the left, ROCKIN' TEENAGER AT THE HOP! on the right, in front of a staticy, "rolling" TV screen, like older TVs used to do (and random colourful notes, because...music).  This is actually the picture the _original_ version of the collection  had--when it was an mp3 CD I arranged carefully (numbering each song file so they wouldn't get jumbled up) and gave to my mom for her birthday.  :) 

Yeah, it's super-long.  It's not meant to be listened to all at once.  What, it's a representation of an entire decade!

(and this is the SHORTEST of my chronological decade collections...)

Catch ya later, daddy-o!

...Notorious

Some addendums (addenda?  that does't sound right.  that sounds like a fancy old-fashioned porch or something)...

1.  First off, lemme know if the link works.  I'm not sure.  This is the link to my own "can see the playlist _and edit it_ screen", and I haven't logged out to see how it looks as a stranger yet.  But it was the only link that seemed to be definitely about the playlist, rather than perhaps JUST to the first song?  I don't know how playlist links on YouTube work yet; this is my first time trying to share one.

(It somehow already has 36 views, though.  I mean, before I posted last night.  :D)

2.  The books about #1 hits and Top 40 are more useful than the titles alone sound...for example, Wikipedia WILL tell you the exact date something hit number one...but won't do that for any other numbers.  The Billboard Book of Number One Hits (even the beat-up, out of date copy I'm using) on the other hand has, in the corner of every page telling you about a #1 and the people who made it, etc....a little box showing the top FIVE for that week.  So, if you're lucky, sometimes you can get a lot more chart information than for just one song.

The Top 40 book (also Billboard, also out of date--but still from way past the '50s, so for this purpose who cares) not only lists the actual Top 40 hits, but if a band gets into the book, it'll list ALL the songs of theirs that charted anywhere in the Top 100.  Again, more info than it says on the tin.  It doesn't say EXACT dates of when a song hit its top spot, but when it entered the Top 40, which is better than no info at all.

3.  WHY all this emphasis on charts?  Well...actually I'm more about the DATES; the numbers just come along for the ride (and better numbers make a song easier to find things out about).  Because what I'm going for is not when a song was written, or released...that's like, industry-side stuff.  I want to put these more or less into the order that ordinary, random people might've actually HEARD them.  On the radio.  While casually going about their own lives, doing their thing.  When might you have heard Song A drifting through the air on a summer night as you walk down the street, or heard kids giggling about it in front of a store? 

For that, the date of "when it peaked on the charts" might not EXACTLY match "when it was played to death and everybody knew it", but....it's as close as I"m gonna get without an actual time machine.  That's why I like my Billboard books.  :)

...Notorious

On 2019-07-03 at 4:06 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

First off, lemme know if the link works.

Yes, it works fine. Good job on the playlist.

| | | | | | | |

gotta have a video game OST in there

Spoiler

Still love Wall of Voodoo. That whole album is a fine piece of work.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Do you people like to analyse why you like what music you do? Most of us aren't confined to enjoying only one genre, but some patterns could be found. In my case, fast paced music with tons of complexity seems to be considered decent, though a solid melody will bring that to the next level. There is music that fits in this pattern that I do not like, and vice versa. How about you?

Oh, totally.  And, in my case...I have no idea.  I not only know myself exactly what my criteria for music is, but I have accidentally driven a FRIEND crazy with it as well!  Basically, she got way into this one group, to the point where she then started looking up their more obscure, solo-member albums.  And every now and then she'd send a few songs from those to me.

After more than one time of my saying "Um...I'm sorry, but....(song here) literally put me to sleep.  And I am not one of those people who uses the word "literally" in a wrong, stupid way--I mean I ACTUALLY started kind of drifting off" and then my going "Now _this_ one is all right" to songs that, to her, sounded EXACTLY THE SAME STYLE, she verbally threw her hands up in an e-mail to me and was like "I can't get a bead on what your style is!"  Possibly because _I_ can't do that.  Sorry, friend.  But that song really did make me sleepy.  : P

Looking through my Music Folder That Ate Chicago The Whole Darn Midwest, the only real patterns you'll notice are that there isn't much:

1) Rap

2) Country

or 3) Stuff from past the year 2000.  

But even THAT is mostly due to not digging hard enough.  I like _oldschool_ rap, a fair bit of it, back when it was more about protesting bad living conditions and not "LOOKIT ALL MAH BLING".  Country _with energy_ that isn't SO twangy it becomes the parody that everybody makes fun of, I'm fine with.  I'm actually kind of sad that the genre seems to be just as dead as mainstream rock (on accessible, popular radio anyway) nowadays. 

And newer stuff? Again, lack of digging.  There's the OCCASIONAL modern pop song I actually kind of like, but most of what I'd like these days is buried on indie stations probably--or, yes, in video games/cartoons/movies.  But there's been enough of the maintream modern stuff has hit my ear to make me unINTERESTED in doing that digging, hence, I haven't yet.  Same could be said for rap.  If I were to make a 2000s or especially 2010's chronological collection now, using only songs that _I like_, not including them just because they're famous, iconic, or "required"...those collections would be SO SMALL.  _So_ small! compared to my others.  It'd show my bias as an ancient old person like _whoah_.

I can't even _slightly_ make the claim that what I like is "better" than someone else's taste; nor do I.  I am PERFECTLY aware that a lot of stuff I enjoy--UNironically, at that--is considered "trash" or "stupid".  For fork's sake, I _like_ disco.  I like the occasional silly bubblegum pop thing.  I have no problem letting people see me, for example, rock out to "Mmm-Bop" by Hanson.  I DEFINITELY have things that I do and don't _like_, but musical "honour", notsomuch.  : P

The only real "rule" I can think of right now, is:

1.  I don't like slow stuff usually...

2.  ...unLESS its tune has drama/energy/note variation to it, and...

3.  ...AWESOME SINGING can rescue a _lot_ of stuff*.

Other than that I don't know.  Like, why I love Generic New Wave Synth Dance Tune #5,432 from 1983 and NOT Generic In Da Club Tune With Random Rap Verse In The Middle #5,433 from 2015...I can't really put a concrete, musical theory pin on.  I just know that...I do/don't.

...Notorious

*The song that literally "put me to sleep" lacked BOTH of categories 2 and 3.  It was a slow song that sat there, flat and lifeless, like a worm on the pavement after a rainstorm.  So, yeah...

Sorry to monopolise this conversation, but the funniest/weirdest thing just happened:  After my dig through the '50s, YouTube has started throwing all different music-history related stuff at me.  Which is fine!

So, I just clicked on one about "One-Hit Wonders of the '60s" (not its actual name) erm...hang on.  Here it is if you're curious.  ...and the very next thing YouTube put to play after that, for me...was a video about top hit songs of THE EXACT YEAR I WAS BORN. 

wat 

how does it know???

(cue Twilight Zone music)

...Notorious

Archived