Music thread

Tapirus

20 hours ago, minespatch said:

Speaking of Tom Waits, would love to hear him do most instrumentals. His instrumental stuff varies on aimless wandering or a gentle lullaby like his track "fawn" in Alice.

Funny you mention Tom Waits. I've used him as a lizard folk bard too. This song specifically

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Funny you mention Tom Waits. I've used him as a lizard folk bard too. This song specifically

Spoiler

Here's Tom Waits's song Jockey Full of Bourbon with himself in the movie. Jim Jarmusch made the film and the two are collaborating in a new zombie movie.

19 hours ago, Tapirus said:

And now you’ll lead the way
Show "the light of day"
Nice work you did
You’re gonna go far, kid...
Trust Deceived!

Now Offspring is just pure legend. The song you posted is one of my favs. This one is up there too. 

Offspring - Staring at the Sun

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Jim Jarmusch made the film and the two are collaborating in a new zombie movie.

Lmao I hope Tom's actually in it as himself. 

"Ugghhhhh" 

"Oh no they bit Tom! Just listen to him!"

"He's fine, he always sounds like thaAAAGH" as zombie Tom claims another victim. 

12 hours ago, JoeW said:

This song was in a movie called "Smoke" introduced me to Tom Waits and still gets me every time I hear it. 

I heard Tom Waits for the first time on The Walking Dead, the song was Hold On, since then I have not stopped listening to his songs

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

This song was in a movie called "Smoke" introduced me to Tom Waits and still gets me every time I hear it. 

I feel like critizing Tom Waits is fine because he's such a legend. 

That said, LMAO what even is this song Joe?! It sounds like two unrehearsed drunk guys in a small eastern European village playing music on the side of the road in the middle of the day. 

I listen to some out there stuff, but this might just be a recording of Fozzy Bear and Oscar the Grouch doing an accordion duet!

(luv u Joe, all in good fun) 

3 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I feel like critizing Tom Waits is fine because he's such a legend. 

That said, LMAO what even is this song Joe?! It sounds like two unrehearsed drunk guys in a small eastern European village playing music on the side of the road in the middle of the day. 

I listen to some out there stuff, but this might just be a recording of Fozzy Bear and Oscar the Grouch doing an accordion duet

(luv u Joe, all in good fun) 

Heh, yeah - I can see that. This version is supposed to sound like some old dudes at a bar. I think it's because it's a pretty impactful moment in the movie that drew me in, the sincerity of the music is pretty powerful. 

I can see if you weren't already into Tom Waits how it would be a bit off putting. =)

25 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Heh, yeah - I can see that. This version is supposed to sound like some old dudes at a bar. I think it's because it's a pretty impactful moment in the movie that drew me in, the sincerity of the music is pretty powerful. 

I can see if you weren't already into Tom Waits how it would be a bit off putting. =)

lol I probably need to see it in its proper context. I'll see if I can find a copy of Smoke somewhere this weekend and check it out. 

I think I "get" the song a bit better from the non barroom version. The sadness isn't totally drowned out by the carnival music. 

The dichotomy between his voice and the instruments really capture the sad glance back at good times. 

I particularly like this song because to me it feels something akin to the time around senior year where I was in the process of figuring out what life really is like.

This one I've associated with the anime "Love is War" for some reason and is an almost sickeningly sweet love song.

11 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

I particularly like this song because to me it feels something akin to the time around senior year where I was in the process of figuring out what life really is like.

That's exactly what the song sounds like too. Funny. 

I think I have an idea of what you vibe with. Give me a little bit and I can throw some stuff your way I think you'll like. 

Here ya go @ButterStuffed

Motion City Soundtrack - Everything is Alright

Spoiler

Ludo - Love me Dead

Spoiler

The Rocket Summer - Shatter Us (new hotness!)

Spoiler

Forever the Sickest Kids - Whoa Oh (Me vs. Everyone)

Spoiler

Cursive - The Recluse

Spoiler

Blood Brothers - Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck (big maybe on this one)

Spoiler

Modest Mouse - The View

Spoiler

The Morning Benders - Excuses

Spoiler

Let me know what you think! Those are just a few that come to mind when I listen to the songs you posted (plus a few other tracks by the artists to get a better idea)

1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Motion City Soundtrack - Everything is Alright

Hide contents

I don't know why but this one reminds me of Malcom in the Middle a lot. This one is a 'maybe', I don't dislike it but I'm not particularly into it either.

Ludo - Love me Dead

Hide contents

This one feels like a combination of the band Poor Man's Poison and MCR. Though I enjoy both of those this particular song is a bit extravagant for my taste if you know what I mean.

The Rocket Summer - Shatter Us (new hotness!)

Hide contents

I cringe at how she's not wearing shoes at all throughout the video. She's gonna have really dirty feet haha. I'll add this one to my spotify playlist though, it's pleasant to listen to.

Forever the Sickest Kids - Whoa Oh (Me vs. Everyone)

Hide contents

Similar to Everything Is Alright I don't dislike it but not particularly into it either. I am a bit picky I guess.

Cursive - The Recluse

Hide contents

This one is a good non-distracting song. I'll add it to my playlist for when i'm working on things.

Blood Brothers - Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck (big maybe on this one)

Hide contents

Hmm.. I like the instruments but the singing is not something I am into. I enjoy being able to hum the tune of a song but it's not really possible with this song.

Modest Mouse - The View

Hide contents

Always like Modest Mouse.

The Morning Benders - Excuses

Hide contents

Actually this one is definitely my favorite. It's the kind of song that is easy to listen to when doing other things.

Thanks for putting this together for me. I honestly wasn't expecting to find songs I enjoyed since i'm usually really picky but i've been able to expand my spotify list a bit thanks to you.

59 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Thanks for putting this together for me. I honestly wasn't expecting to find songs I enjoyed since i'm usually really picky but i've been able to expand my spotify list a bit thanks to you.

No problem! It's hard to gauge what music someone is into by just a couple songs, but at least you found a couple ones you liked! I'm super picky myself so I know how hard it can be to find new music you like. 

Edit: my WHIFE says Miniature Tigers reminds her of Hot Hot Heat

Spoiler

Bonus memes: 

Spoiler

On 6/4/2019 at 4:55 PM, NSAiswatchingus said:
  • Lmao I hope Tom's actually in it as himself. 
  • "Ugghhhhh" 
  • "Oh no they bit Tom! Just listen to him!"
  • "He's fine, he always sounds like thaAAAGH" as zombie Tom claims another victim. 
Spoiler

23 hours ago, JoeW said:

:wilson_shocked:....

Is Joew talking about MY SENPAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?!5826d6c1281e6_20161112p2-skeledorksqueemania.gif.9ca4b855a7744e9e9c05c5d922cf875d.gif

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

My first exposure to him was in Shrek2 with Little Drop of Poison. His song scared me so much until I went to Eric Powell's Myspace page for The Goon and was addicted to his song "When's it's gonna end". The song got me in as a gateway drug but I respected him completely after seeing Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus by Terry Gilliam.

"There  must be something worth fighting for!"

Spoiler

Spoiler

"Somewhere in the darkness, there must be a light..."

Spoiler

"I hope your dreams ARE NOT LIKE MINE."

Spoiler

"Mother lied in bed, what did she said?"

Spoiler

"IT was a bueat'."

Spoiler

On 6/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, minespatch said:

Washingmachine

Hide contents

This is the best one imo. 

Here's some Kansas City flavor for y'all this week!

Ces Cru - When World's Collide

Spoiler

Hembree - Culture

Spoiler

Coronado Left For Dead - Struggle 

Spoiler

Josephine Collective - Living

Spoiler

Scruffy & The Janitors - Shake It Off

Spoiler

Stik Figa - Flaudgin (He's Topeka but we give it to him)

Spoiler

Flee the Seen - Wire Tap Out

Spoiler

Reggie and the Full Effect - Get Well Soon

Spoiler

BONUS: A cringeworthy glance into the KC rock scene in 2008. 

Spoiler

Land of all wonders, engulfed by the waves
Where pyramids first rose and sank to their graves

Isle of our fathers, founders of our ways
Now lost to the ocean and blue coral caves

Spoiler

Warriors rise from the grave
Longships sailing the wave
Bloodshed on every shore
Friction massing from war

Spoiler

still my favourite album ever

4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Land of all wonders, engulfed by the waves
Where pyramids first rose and sank to their graves

Isle of our fathers, founders of our ways
Now lost to the ocean and blue coral caves

Hide contents

Warriors rise from the grave
Longships sailing the wave
Bloodshed on every shore
Friction massing from war

Hide contents

still my favourite album ever

Hell yeah Manilla Road! From Wichita, KS actually! Way to keep the theme going! 

Personal opinion: Vocals are hokey, but every 80's metal vocalist is hokey by today's standards. Instrumentals were ahead of their time though, and should be given respect if you're a metal fan. 

A music thread!  How did I not see this before?--I love music! I used to consider myself a bit of a pop/rock/whatever music history scholar, but MAAAANNN...this thread is making me feel out of the loop.  I mean, most of the stuff I listen to is in English and mainstream genres, and people have heard of it.  : P

Just kidding, but still...wow.  But there are SOME songs/bands in this thread I've actually heard of.  One that leaped out at me--wait, Resette Player.  "Wall of Voodoo"?  As in THIS Wall of Voodoo?

Spoiler

Considering how iconic this song is to '80s fans and how freaking many New Wave compilation thingies it tends to end up on, I'm surprised I _hadn't_ heard "Tomorrow" as well until now...

Me, I've made these elaborate chronological playlists of songs I happen to like from the '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s, and am currently working on a '90s one.  At the moment I'm in the early part of the decade, so I guess one song I've heard recently might be this?

Spoiler

I've always liked this song, really.  I like some of R.E.M.'s other stuff too.

Or possibly this, if we want to RIP UP THE DANCEFLOOR!

Spoiler

(lol at the comments:  "I lost 500 calories just by watching this!")  And lel, after this finished YouTube was of course like "You seem to like '90s hip-hop.  Have some Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch!"  : P  (Not that that's a bad thing.)

Mind you, those are just things I've been listening to _lately_, because I've been working on my '90s collection. I'll have to see if I can't put together playlists for the already-finished decades so y'all can laugh at my bad taste see what I like, maybe be reminded of songs you haven't thought of in forever, realise you _do_ know that one after all, and "Oh, THAT'S what that one is called!"  It'll take some time.  They're LONG collections--especially the '80s one.  I am an '80s chick at heart (music-wise, anyway) so...  

Anyway the point with these collections is that they ARE in chronological order.  It's a really cool way to listen through music history, to get a taste of what really started or happened when, and in cases where I have a bunch of songs from the _same_ year (or even month, or week) together, you can even imagine you just turned on the radio Back Then and happened upon the weekly Top 40 countdown!  Like, you're casually walking downtown one sultry summer evening, music drifts out from a transistor radio in someone's apartment window...  The collections are a pain in the butt to do and take a long time, but dammit, when done they're worth it.

And that "music evolving over time" thing is why I also love stuff like THIS so much:

Spoiler

That part where it transitions from black and white to colour mid-note, while they're singing a song from the time period when televisions were starting to be more colour than black and white in real life--HEART!  HEART SO MUCH!  :D   And the singing!  And those _harmonies_!

While we're on this group...I love the original version (John Lennon, yo!) of this next song too of course, but this one (and the timing of when they released it) just made me cry.  In a good way.

Spoiler

That part where they hold up the signs...sniff...  We NEED more stuff these days.  We totally do.

H U M A N

This isn't at all the whole scope of my musical tastes, or even my _main_ likes at all.  It's just stuff I thought of at the moment, or "have been listening to lately".  In fact, to finish this off, I'll throw in a random true-favourite song:

Spoiler

Gawd, the weird mix of stuff YouTube is gonna start recommending to me after this journey... XD

...Notorious

Archived