Wortox Arrives March 28th!

5 hours ago, Altiora said:

To be honest, I don't really want to have such an expensive price on this character .

It's really not that bad at all thanks to the fact that you can weave him. It's entirely optional if you even want to buy/weave him or just save spools for cosmetics alone.

Even as somebody that barely plays DST nowadays, I managed to shell up enough spools from unweaving thanks to all the events.

And it's not like he's a limited time exclusive either, you have all the time in the world to get enough spools, esp if there's gonna be more Gorge and Forge this year. With the daily login drops and increased drop rate of rarer skins you'll definitely get enough eventually, though probably not immediately.

8 hours ago, Santosario said:

Woow that was unnecessarily rude, and considering Pacman is even in smash bros I guess you don't play a lot of other games...

I mean, I guess it was a bit too vague for my thick skull, as I thought they were referring to some 80's SatAM cartoon. :wilson_ecstatic:

1 hour ago, Atkvin said:

It's really not that bad at all thanks to the fact that you can weave him. It's entirely optional if you even want to buy/weave him or just save spools for cosmetics alone.

Even as somebody that barely plays DST nowadays, I managed to shell up enough spools from unweaving thanks to all the events.

And it's not like he's a limited time exclusive either, you have all the time in the world to get enough spools, esp if there's gonna be more Gorge and Forge this year. With the daily login drops and increased drop rate of rarer skins you'll definitely get enough eventually, though probably not immediately.

Dont forget the buffed drop rates

16 hours ago, Prajdo said:

Maybe others are going to get new "corrupted" skin set and since Wortox is corrupted already he's going to get "uncorrupted" skin just like was in the past with Max - "triumphant" and "untriumphant".

Sorry to hold yer horses, yet Its Exclusive to him
s6Rw2EP.png

12 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

How I imagine the first contact from Wortox and the others...

"Every time I naively think that the Constant has accustomed me to all sorts of horror and wonder, here comes something that promptly awakens in me a mixture of curiosity, perplexity and fear. I still don't know if I like this feeling.
Last night we dug up a strange creature in the quarries: he had a bipedal gait, like a man, but his nature is much more uncertain. It has goat-like hooves and a canine snout, two large horns on its head and a red accession skin. He has something demonic, he seems to have come out of a Dante circle.
He did not manifest hostile intentions, even though he speaks a language we do not understand. For now we let him stay in the niche where he lives, but I heard Higgsbury ask Wickerbottom if he could try to translate some of his words in the next few days. I would not be surprised if in the end we discovered that he is much smarter than us and that he can also speak English."

Fifteenth letter, Wendy Carter

the language doesn't fit Wendy at all. This seems more like Maxwell's stylistic choices

4 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm sorry but in which universe is WX bad or codependent to survive? If you mean overcharge he can actually overcharge himself with a telelocator staff. 

I think they meant bad as in evil, not bad as in UP.

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Sorry to hold yer horses, yet Its Exclusive to him
s6Rw2EP.png

If they reuse the costume/triumphant portrait backgrounds for any of these skins, I'm bundling them in with those skin sets in my skins thread.

Otherwise? ...klei you're killing me.

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

the language doesn't fit Wendy at all. This seems more like Maxwell's stylistic choices

I have always found Maxwell and Wendy very similar.
I imagine Maxwell documenting the Constant before being trapped on the throne. Later, he always gave me the idea that he had become tired, depressed, tortured by the knowledge he had learned and by the terrible entities he called "They".
So, once freed by Wilson, in my view of the lore of the game (deliberately left vague and fragmentary to be able to embroider on it) and a sort of "passing witness" occurred: Maxwell, the old Argonaut, delivers the burden of document the Constant to his niece, the young Argonaut. He has already written so much, seen too much, and his mind and body have been too fragile. Maybe he even became more stupid. Better, are those who enjoy life, those who have been spared the curse of intelligence. (Cit. Lovecraft).
I know that this is a very personal interpretation, but it seems beautiful to me.

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

it doesn't make much sense that Krampus was a normal goat altered by NF or the nightmare cycle corruption cuz they aren't properly in contact with it. If that was the case, why can't we see more goat on the surface affected by it? Moreover, Krampus is a mob from the depths. 

“Hello, foul creature of the underworld.”
–Wendy

Doesn't make more sense that Goats already predisposed to the Gorge corruption came directly out of the Gateway Portal and were transformed by the nightmare cycle into demon-y ones in the depths? 

BTW, I think his uncorrupted skin is probs a proper goat one.

As I've mentioned in both my posts regarding Wortox corruption - all is pure speculation on my behalf. Yet said speculation is based on observed and deductible things. Indeed Gnaw-corrupted goats traveled into the Constant - i.e. Merms in Swamp; but we don't know if this is the only process by which merms appear, they could also be a natural specie and Gnaw only mutates via magic other creatures into them because .. Gorge/story premise. Regarding the concept of Goats -(Nightmare Fuel prolonged exposure)-> Krampi, there's nothing saying healthy normal goats from the Gorge original Victorian  pre-Gnaw universe traveled or not via their gate into the Ruins/Constant Ancient Gate - because that's where it leads to - purely as explorers/out of curiosity. Remember: in both Gorge case and now for redesigned character videos explaining a bit their past and how they got into Constant, a good dose of retconning is involved - if you take the original "Horrid swamp thing!" from exemplified Wendy quote as well - is clear, lore and story alike, there isn't anything pointing at Goats or Gnaw, curse and whatnot, so this argument doesn't really hold water.

Again, in the end, these are just fun intuitive speculation, mine and yours both. You seem to be passionate for that origin of Merms and against the concept of "Goats -(Nightmare Fuel prolonged exposure)-> Krampi" as a parallel process. It's ok, no biggie, Klei may allure to other mobs from which Krampi or only Wortox could've been corrupted through some other process/curse, that's the fun of keeping a game fresh as well. I for one am ok with any version if seems consistent.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Wortox being able to heal others, having to do with the fact that you can't see the health of other players. I'm sure it'll work out. He probably has a way of knowing the health of others. Even if he doesn't, he still sounds like a great character.

4 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

As I've mentioned in both my posts regarding Wortox corruption - all is pure speculation on my behalf. Yet said speculation is based on observed and deductible things. Indeed Gnaw-corrupted goats traveled into the Constant - i.e. Merms in Swamp; but we don't know if this is the only process by which merms appear, they could also be a natural specie and Gnaw only mutates via magic other creatures into them because .. Gorge/story premise. Regarding the concept of Goats -(Nightmare Fuel prolonged exposure)-> Krampi, there's nothing saying healthy normal goats from the Gorge original Victorian  pre-Gnaw universe traveled or not via their gate into the Ruins/Constant Ancient Gate - because that's where it leads to - purely as explorers/out of curiosity. Remember: in both Gorge case and now for redesigned character videos explaining a bit their past and how they got into Constant, a good dose of retconning is involved - if you take the original "Horrid swamp thing!" from exemplified Wendy quote as well - is clear, lore and story alike, there isn't anything pointing at Goats or Gnaw, curse and whatnot, so this argument doesn't really hold water.

Again, in the end, these are just fun intuitive speculation, mine and yours both. You seem to be passionate for that origin of Merms and against the concept of "Goats -(Nightmare Fuel prolonged exposure)-> Krampi" as a parallel process. It's ok, no biggie, Klei may allure to other mobs from which Krampi or only Wortox could've been corrupted through some other process/curse, that's the fun of keeping a game fresh as well. I for one am ok with any version if seems consistent.

Ofc it's all fun especulation, :) but as you said some facts do hold logic.

1. The Gnaw is essential to activate the portal, so an adventurous pre-Gnaw goat traveling to the Constant is not supported by any evidence.

2. It's probable that Goats in Gorge transform in there only as part of Gorge mechanics and they don't necessarily share the same family tree as the Constant goats. This actually doesn't really have any implications to my theory. The only point I recollect are these facts: 

• Goats in the Gorge are susceptible to corruption
  • Goats in the Gorge might be able to travel to the Constant using the Gateway portal that leads directly to the Atrium
  • Wortox, Krampus and Klaus are goat-like creatures
  • Krampus is "from the underworld." So yeap.. I think it looks pretty clear to me so far

3. Wendy's quote doesn't necessarily debunks the idea of Wortox being a corrupted goat. It only means that Constant goats live in the swamp and they might as well be not at all related to the Gorge ones. It doesn't really offer any backstory (just their usual location,) while calling Krampus a creature from the underworld does imply they aren't from the surface, ergo no regular goat.

4. There is no real evidence that normal goats can turn into Krampus-like creatures on the surface since there isn't a Nightmare Cycle or prolonged exposition to Nightmare Fuel on the surface, therefore no real transformation from healthy goats from what we know so far. Ofc there is gonna be an explanation clarifying Wortox's origin or if he is somehow an underworld/overworld hybrid, an ex-Gorge goat by corrupted NF in the Atrium or a regular goat that Maxwel might have taken to the underworld to feed him NF for breakfast and keep him company xD 

He could have a special ability who claim the souls of dying creatures, this hability instants kills the creatures if it's near of death, but sacrifice some health or sanity or something and recive a soul in his inventory, that's will be realy cool and unique :)

2 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

I've seen a lot of complaints about Wortox being able to heal others, having to do with the fact that you can't see the health of other players. I'm sure it'll work out. He probably has a way of knowing the health of others. Even if he doesn't, he still sounds like a great character.

You could always just ask them if they need heals....

Alright, so first and foremost I wanna cover some things really quick: 
CHARACTERS ARE NOT OMNISCIENT

What I mean is characters say things that are not always true. For example, if characters use a particular pronoun for a creature that doesn't mean that's the proper one. Each character is looking at the world through their own lens so they see and comment on it differently. Wigfrid is constantly saying stuff relating to Valhalla and other norse-myth locations, but we are not taking that as fact. Wendy taking about Krampus coming from "the underworld" is no different. Krampus is a devil like creature, plenty would make that assumption.

Next is just a bit of interesting speculation: it was mentioned briefly by someone that the Gnaw is the only way of using the gateway. This isn't necessarily true: they are the only way Mumsy knew and thus the survivors knew. Here's some food for thought: the Gnaw's favors have iridescent gems at the center. What if the key requires moon power to charge? Thus the Gnaw covering up the sky makes any other way impossible. 

Lastly is my own thoughts on Wortox's origins. I'm personally in favor of something relating to nightmare fuel due to a few recent revelations. For starters: Wortox was initially mentioned as being a secret-cave character way way way back when he was first conceived. Of course there's a high chance this changed but let's roll with it for a minute. Wortox is red. In most cases I would say nightmare influence is more muted-black and white (just look at the Ancient Guardian, Maxwell, the nightmare creatures, and insanity), but we can't forget the Ruins. This is important because everyone has been taking about Klaus & Krampus but I don't think I saw anyone mention our good o' buddy the Fuelweaver. His mind may be, but his body most certainly isn't an Ancient's.

Spoiler

Df3wmdy.png

Whatever the bones belonged to, it preceded the Ancients, and their skull resembled that of a goat.

So in other words the ruins encompass: the color red, nightmare fuel, and goats—not to mention Wortox's initially planned unlock location. It's certainly a leap, but I can see some potential. Considering the heavy focus on the Ruins & Gateway right now it would make for a good excuse to introduce Wortox separate from the main story while giving him some neat, relevant lore.

This doesn't write off the possibility of Wortox having a relation to the Gorge considering the Gateway connects it to the Ruins. I personally would love if he had a connection to those more warped goat statues. This would inadvertently flesh out the connection between the Ruins & the Gorge before the Gnaw showed up. 

But more importantly Wortox would look hella adorable in the Gorge goat colors.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

CHARACTERS ARE NOT OMNIPOTENT

xD I think you are confused with the Latin terminology my friend. 

Omnipotent means you can do everything, while Omniscient means you know everything. 

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

CHARACTERS ARE NOT OMNIPOTENT

What I mean is characters say things that are not always true. For example, if characters use a particular pronoun for a creature that doesn't mean that's the proper one. Each character is looking at the world through their own lens so they see and comment on it differently. Wigfrid is constantly saying stuff relating to Valhalla and other norse-myth locations, but we are not taking that as fact. Wendy taking about Krampus coming from "the underworld" is no different. Krampus is a devil like creature, plenty would make that assumption.

Next is just a bit of interesting speculation: it was mentioned briefly by someone that the Gnaw is the only way of using the gateway. This isn't necessarily true: they are the only way Mumsy knew and thus the survivors knew. Here's some food for thought: the Gnaw's favors have iridescent gems at the center. What if the key requires moon power to charge? Thus the Gnaw covering up the sky makes any other way impossible. 

Lastly is my own thoughts on Wortox's origins. I'm personally in favor of something relating to nightmare fuel due to a few recent revelations. For starters: Wortox was initially mentioned as being a secret-cave character way way way back when he was first conceived. Of course there's a high chance this changed but let's roll with it for a minute. Wortox is red. In most cases I would say nightmare influence is more muted-black and white (just look at the Ancient Guardian, Maxwell, the nightmare creatures, and insanity), but we can't forget the Ruins. This is important because everyone has been taking about Klaus & Krampus but I don't think I saw anyone mention our good o' buddy the Fuelweaver. His mind may be, but his body most certainly isn't an Ancient's.

Reveal hidden contents

Df3wmdy.png

Whatever the bones belonged to, it preceded the Ancients, and their skull resembled that of a goat.

So in other words the ruins encompass: the color red, nightmare fuel, and goats—not to mention Wortox's initially planned unlock location. It's certainly a leap, but I can see some potential. Considering the heavy focus on the Ruins & Gateway right now it would make for a good excuse to introduce Wortox separate from the main story while giving him some neat lore.

This doesn't write off the possibility of Wortox having a relation to the Gorge considering the Gateway connects it to the Ruins. I personally would love if he had a connection to those more warped goat statues. This would inadvertently flesh out the connection between the Ruins & the Gorge before the Gnaw showed up. 

But more importantly Wortox would look hella adorable in the Gorge goat colors.

On the origin... I think its a bit of the 2... Gorge goats currupted by ruins... Instead of regular goats on the surface cuz there is no nightmare cycle there

But hey we will get all the answers pretty soon :)

Nevertheless, it's kinda fun to speculate a bit and throw some ideas out there. 

I really like that moon powering the gateway theory. Makes sense in the gorge, and in the constant we see the iridescent gem in the gateway in one mural, but what about the forge? I don't see any moon stuff powering the gateway on that end.

@Zeklo ... About the red color... I think the nightmare cycle is intricately linked to it that not necessarily excluding the Fuelweaver idea u suggested, but it would tied my idea even tighter together. 

Everytime you enter the ruins with red skin clothing, shoes or accessories, you'll see that the behavior of the nightmare cycle interacts strongly with that color letting you know the phase you are in. That's why the tesla later is especially useful in the underworld. 

Now... I believe that maybe Wortox's fur changed to a red color to better adapt to an environment that is absolutely permeated by nightmare cycles. If you are a creature of the ruins surviving in a hostile and completely impacted place by changing creatures affected by NC, wouldn't make sense to be covered in a fur color that helps you know in which phase you are to avoid the dangers ahead? If that was by design or evolution or simple coincidence it does indeed have a huge connection to the ruins and its mechanics, regardless of the Fuelweaver connection which might make it way more stronger. 

Other creatures like the guardian aren't really survivors, but... well... Guardians, they don't really need to adapt.. They are predators. And what most predators do is mimicking the shadows, which might explained why he never evolved into a radiant color. 

Maybe this also a bit out there but I think it's kinda interesting that his color might not have even been his choice or design but a force of the rules of survival, which is in turn the name of the game. 

Maybe the uncorrupted skin is gonna be his original Gorge goat Form, before shifting under the NC. Who knows? Anyways... That's that. 

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

I really like that moon powering the gateway theory. Makes sense in the gorge, and in the constant we see the iridescent gem in the gateway in one mural, but what about the forge? I don't see any moon stuff powering the gateway on that end.

Well there were focus gems, right? And telepoof foci require purple gems, it could just be transport requires an *energy source* and different sources will work in different ways. I can only imagine opening a gate requires far more energy than simply teleporting. So in gorge’s case, the monster could simply have a lot of energy, or it could yeah, be blocking the moon, which in dst i can only imagine is a giant iredescany gem

Oh boy. People are STILL complaining about an optional thing when they are gonna get all the new fresh content for free. I've been reading here a lot since the roadmap thread and it's kinda absurd how little some people know about business. You remember how many people got the game for free? Klei needs to make money so you can still have stuff to play, it's business. You can't afford to keep going with something if it's not gonna work both ways. Go look at how scummy other companies get when it comes to making money. Klei is one of the generous ones I've ever seen.

I guess most of you who are upset about not getting everything for free are younger and haven't even worked in a job and you don't know that money isn't infinite so I still try not to be too judgemental. But you wouldn't work for free or an amount that won't cover your needs, would you? And if the game feels like a chore to you, go take a break instead of nitpicking every small thing in forums so things can feel fresh again.

Archived