Running a world on 1 shard

Hi, i've been wanting to play dst with caves enabled for a while and i always seem to get incredible amounts of lag. I know that the reason why caves cause lag is because your computer must run to shards at once so i've been wondering if you could run a world with caves enabled on only 1 shard.

thanks

When you host without caves the client runs in client-server mode, where both the client and server are one.

However, with caves on then the client goes into full client mode and the server is its own spawned process; two spawn for overworld and caves.  This means you're going to get delayed by the server tick rate and any hiccups with the networking stream (shouldn't happen much).

Default server tick rate is 15 ticks per second, so you'll be looking at a minimal delay of 66.6_ milliseconds of delay.

Getting the server to 60 ticks per second will lower this to 16.6_ milliseconds of delay at the cost of requiring more CPU power.

While indeed there isn't a direct way (from in-game settings) of having Caves on same shard as Forest, you can opt for a work-around using mods - if you're willing and able (PC-user) to do so: Megarandom world generation mod can generate Cave elements on Forest while disabling normal Cave shard from options. Don't know how demanding this mod is, having tested it myself only 2ice (and one of them just hopping some random dedicated server with said mod installed), yet it might help you. An additional way of experiencing Caves is to having a Cave-only server - you can find details on how to make such server here (also more info on WorldGen customizations here: worldgenoverride.lua with the new post-Caves settings). Cheers!

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

Getting the server to 60 ticks per second will lower this to 16.6_ milliseconds of delay at the cost of requiring more CPU power.

Also the higher the tick, the higher the host's upload bandwidth in multiplayer, so other players will lag badly if your internet isnt good enough.

5 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

While indeed there isn't a direct way (from in-game settings) of having Caves on same shard as Forest, you can opt for a work-around using mods - if you're willing and able (PC-user) to do so: Megarandom world generation mod can generate Cave elements on Forest while disabling normal Cave shard from options. Don't know how demanding this mod is, having tested it myself only 2ice (and one of them just hopping some random dedicated server with said mod installed), yet it might help you. An additional way of experiencing Caves is to having a Cave-only server - you can find details on how to make such server here (also more info on WorldGen customizations here: worldgenoverride.lua with the new post-Caves settings). Cheers!

hey what is that direct way to run the caves and forest on the same shard

17 hours ago, EctoPlasma said:

hey what is that direct way to run the caves and forest on the same shard

It simply combines both the caves and the forest onto one layer. If you're talking about having both the cave layer and the forest layer, that's just not possible to do given what you're describing.

okay well thanks a lot guys for the responses, I really appreciate it

(btw I messed around with the "server" file and changed the line "is master = false" to "is master = true" and it really helped reduce my lag i'm not sure what it would've done but it helped"

Archived