Spiders are impossible now!

Sliver

• Developer

This is relevant here, reposting from my bug thread:Okay, so from what I can tell in the spiderden prefab, the maximum number of warriors is not how many warriors are in the nest, but instead how many warriors it can spawn on each hit.So that means that a level 1 spider den has 3 spiders, can spawn a maximum of 2 per time hit, and 1 of those can be a warrior each. Rather than the way it was before, which was it had 3 spiders, and up to 1 of them was a warrior. I don't know if this is intentional or not, because according to my math it makes these the most likely numbers:Level 1 Den- 2 warriors, 1 spiderLevel 2 Den- 4 warriors, 2 spidersLevel 3 Den- 6 warriors, 3 spidersMeaning that a den now has more warriors than regular spiders. Regardless of whether or not this is a coding oversight or an intentional change, that's kind of ridiculous.

Good find. That was not the intention, and we're taking a look at the code.

Spider nests are far from impossible to take out.

Brute forcing your way on a spider nest is harrowing now, as it should be, it's a den full of monsterous spiders! It shouldn't just be a cakewalk if you decide to Rambo it, solo, with nothing more than a make-shift spear and a plank on your chest.

Obviously hiring pigs is an easy solution if you do prefer brute forcing down a nest. It's not like morsels are in short supply, rabbits are just as easily hunted with a melee weapon as they were before and hunting the spiders gives you monster meat which is ALSO useful for recruiting more pigs if necessary.

But if you want to do it the next to easy way: Get a bunch of rabbit traps. Those traps were either next to useless to just nice to have around depending before this update. Now they actually serve a strategic use.

Now, if you're having difficulty clearing a spider den, well that's understandable, but if you're claiming spider nests are impossible to take out? It just simply can't be done? You need to learn to play. You're simply not looking at all the options available to you if you're of the opinion the dens are impossible to take out.

The only real gripe I have is taking down the melee damage a little too much. Maybe I was killing the mobs a little too easily before, but now I'm just wailing on them for an excessive period of time before I kill them, and a pig's dps is drastically reduced because they're running around "kiting" the monster instead of helping me wail on them, though I do like the idea of pigs not being such pushovers when I want to... "harvest" some extra supplies.

My only suggestion is if they are going to make weapons weaker at least make them more durable as they seem to break to fast now. Armor also breaks so obnoxiously fast to the point where it feels like a huge waste to even make it.

I never knew that rabbit traps worked on spiders, and i'm not even sure that are supposed to. But I took down a nest with Wes while wearing no armor by using 2 rabbit traps and a spear. The traps one shot them and they drop an item, then you pick up the trap and get ANOTHER item.

Pretty sure it is intentional that you can catch spiders, as I believe meat gives the "bait" option.As for two items, that is a bug that I believe they know of.

To be fair, I think level 1 spider nests are fine the way they are. Make sure you go in with bark armor for protection. As for silk gathering, I make it a priority for the first three days is to gather as much wood as possible (in order to avoid the treant later in the game), build two sets of bark armor and actively explore the map and look for spider nests. With the Librarian, this is relatively easy to do since you don't have to worry so much about a science machine for the aforementioned armor; I have yet to try with any other character, however.

• Developer

OK, we've pushed a small hotfix to make the warriors not spew forth from every nest nearly all of the time.

[*]The warrior / worker ratios are back to where they were pre-patch

[*]The calculation for who to spawn takes living spiders who are away from the nest into account

[*]The regen time per-spider is higher (to work well with the increased number of hits that you have to land per spider)

We'll take a closer look at the warrior tracking system for the next actual update, but we didn't want to make a big system change for a hotfix.

Hope this helps!

OK, we've pushed a small hotfix to make the warriors not spew forth from every nest nearly all of the time.

[*]The warrior / worker ratios are back to where they were pre-patch

[*]The calculation for who to spawn takes living spiders who are away from the nest into account

[*]The regen time per-spider is higher (to work well with the increased number of hits that you have to land per spider)

We'll take a closer look at the warrior tracking system for the next actual update, but we didn't want to make a big system change for a hotfix.

Hope this helps!

That's a bit unfortunate. I kind of liked how spiders were only safe to farm at dusk. It made accumulating an arbitrarily large amount of silk a little bit more difficult during the first summer (or at least a much bigger time investment). Although I guess the fact that wandering around spider nests at dusk has always been so safe is pretty dumb anyway. Warriors should really come out of level 2 and 3 nests on their own at night.