Spiders are impossible now!

Sliver

Rip broke the game when he spammed panflutes. Then everyone started crying about how easy all the mobs were without ever playing, so the devs nerf literally EVERYTHING from attack/hp to food and armor/weapons. I haven't died yet, but I've come so incredibly close many times in just an hour or two of playing. This is -a little- on the overkill side of things, and I can't help but feel it is a knee-jerk reaction to what Rip did on the stream.

I think this might be payback for all the whining about the game being too easy.Also, the Winter update seems to be all about taking Wilson off the top of the food chain. These are three-foot, hive-minded spiders, they shouldn't be pushovers. Want silk? Get some pigs.

I had a strat for spiders that worked fine. Just wait until evening, set up a fire outside their den, and kill the weaker ones as they come out. 10-20 silk per night and safe.

This is how I dealt with spiders before this update and is still my preferred strategy. I never get that much silk though and them pesky lil critters are fast so I have to make sure not to venture too far from the fire when attacking them.

For taking down spider dens I just camp near during the night and kill them all, one by one. When the night finishes, the nest is empty, you just need to kill it.Remember that during the night warriors do not come out.Just be sure to be with your fire set before dusk, so you can kill them right when they leave the nest. If you wait until night, there will be a few spiders ready for war (it's just a problem if the den is tier 2 or 3)

Traps around spider nest = insta dead spider.Call the pigs for help.Burn the nest to ashes.Take armor and spear and kite them around to beat them on by one to death. Kill the nests early before they level up.Hope that helps. They are not impossible to kill at all.

Rip broke the game when he spammed panflutes. Then everyone started crying about how easy all the mobs were without ever playing, so the devs nerf literally EVERYTHING from attack/hp to food and armor/weapons. I haven't died yet, but I've come so incredibly close many times in just an hour or two of playing. This is -a little- on the overkill side of things, and I can't help but feel it is a knee-jerk reaction to what Rip did on the stream.

The attack and HP nerfs were already in place when Rip was playing.

I'd prefer if there was some sort of difficulty setting to Don't Starve. It seems a bit too difficult now. Sure you can use strategy but I always loved Don't Starve for its casualness, and hated it for being a bit too casual. Now it doesn't even seem casual anymore -_-

Just use the sandbox custom *facepalm*

Spiders are no problem for me at all. Just wait until dusk and the black spiders start funneling out one by one for you to farm. Even needing four hits to kill you should still rarely take any damage if you kite well. If too many of them bunch up at once, just leave and come back tomorrow.Getting large amounts of silk during the first summer is somewhat trickier now, since you only have a narrow window each day to get silk (whereas before you could run around bopping as many level one nests as you could find during the day), but it's pretty much a non-issue. The silk items are all luxuries completely inessential for basic survival except for the winter hat, which you'll have no trouble getting in time. And when winter does roll around, dusk gets longer, giving you more time to hunt if you want to. I have like 25 silk sitting in a chest on Day 30, halfway through winter, and that's after having made a top hat, winter hat, fishing rod, bug net, and at least half a dozen boomerangs.

I've learned that the age of forum participants is indirectly proportional to how mean and rude they are to others.The OP and others who feel the same should take heart in the fact that the abuse heaped on their heads is likely coming from folks who will be in bed soon. The grown-ups can continue the exchange without the smart a** commentary at that time.

I find the update fine, I'm playing winter only and im doing just fine, I'll admit the nerfs COULD be balanced a little more, but honestly, the thrill of constant danger is what keeps me playing this game, that and pigs wearing top hats

Lay a string of bunny traps, and toss a boomerang at it. Run away, and kill them off 2-4 at a time. Kill non-warriors with a weapon if at all possible.I can take down a couple lvl 3 nests a day that way, with basically no risk. Sorta resource intensive though, but that is the cost of safety.

Going to take a little bit to get used to the nerfs as i can no longer just charge in with Wilson and come out fine actually have to trap spiders now to get silk which will be a change of pace, don't see a problem with the nerfs just means i have to change how to react in certain situations :)

You can't read :p as me being silly? I obviously wasn't serious about the question nor was it meant as an insult, just poking fun. Spear+Logsuit and you can clear level 1-2 nests without help, you just have to heal afterwards. Pretty sure I mentioned this...