Oxygen Not Included Roadmap March 2019

10 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey everyone!

It's now been over two years since the first public Beta for Oxygen Not Included, and it's finally time to fully launch the game! The third Quality of Life Upgrade is coming to you on Tuesday April 16th, and then there will be one last update to complete Early Access.

Thank you for the fun, i had with ONI so far.

After we've officially launched, we will continue to make quality of life improvements and bug fixes..

There are so many bugs and some of them are completely unbalancing gameplay.
For my taste the bugs have to go, before leaving alpha, because that's what an alpha is for, so far i understand it.

while the bulk of the team will be moving on to building DLC for the game

I got many hours on my ONI account and so far i really enjoyed it, but those bugs add someway as negative countervalue up (in my mind).
I do not like those DLC mechanics, but Klei has to feed many artlicants and codelicants and i can understand it, when a company goes that way, these days.

Thank you so much for playing our game.

Thank you/Klei for making a game, i really liked.
Good luck and may the force be with your team :)

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Thank you for the fun, i had with ONI so far.

There are so many bugs and some of them are completely unbalancing gameplay.
For my taste the bugs have to go, before leaving alpha, because that's what an alpha is for, so far i understand it.

You can rest assured they will try to fix all major bugs before release. After all remember that reviewers will be getting their hands on the "final game" too, and public opinion is really damning of games that come out with major bugs. Normally the very last period before release is dedicated solely to bugfixing and you can expect to see that here. For a lot of games its only a few weeks before they come out that all the polish is in place and you can enjoy the full experience! 

14 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

The third Quality of Life Upgrade is coming to you on Tuesday April 16th

I can't express how much I'm excited for what's coming to ONI ! Speaking of which... I hate to be THAT guy but, is that "coming to us" like the beta testing or the update (meaning beta testing is coming 3 weeks before that if I'm not mistaking) ?

Many, many, many thanks to the ONI team for your hard work and your dedication, both of which led to the creation of an amazing, unique game.

But I also wish to thank you all for acknowledging frequently and sincerely the usefulness, even minor, of the feedback from the community you gathered around this project.

But most importantly, thank you for betting on, and believing in a game concept that is both enjoyable and, as you said, make people embrace their inner scientist. As time goes by, I feel more and more overwhelmed by the lack of sourced and robust scientific knowledge in the mass media and their current tendency to spoon-feed lackluster and incorrect information instead of using serious scientific news as an incentive for people to think by themselves and to question the world around them.

Therefore, a metric ton of thank yous to share between all the members of your team !

On this note, as a scientist, instead of regularly filling a black board with overwhelming equations, I've very frequently thought about using some basic ONI simulations to illustrate and teach general concepts in physics (mostly heat transfer), just to make some courses more playful, more interactive and more interesting for students. Is that completely surreal and impossible, or would you accept such a thing and would it be possible, legally speaking, and under which conditions/terms/laws ?

I have no words to say how happy I am. This is much more that I could ever expect.

By no means I feel like a scientist, but ONI means a lot to me. It was essential in the process of healing from IRL trauma with its cute duplicants, hostile space enviroment and cozy sound effects. There were no games at all that I wanted to play 3 months ago as my mind was completely rekt. A friend showed me ONI and everything changed.

I spent over 600 hours in the game in 3 months while working in a full time job. That's how much I love ONI!
I'm ready for the next 6000 hours!

I love you guys. Thank you for creating this game. I will never forget!

This has been the first early access game that I've tried and it's been a blast. I haven't missed an update and it's been a great experience watching this game develop and following this forum. I hope that it will continue for DLC.

Excited to see the final release and I'll be sure to share it with any friends who aren't already in early access.

Wow, that's great news. My biggest fear was that klei would wrap the EA phase after the QoL updates. Which would have been justified, but still pretty anticlimactic. Instead they choose to end the EA with a bang. New biomes, new creatures, etc (maybe even doctors *cough*). That's awesome!

We even got the confirmation on DLCs following. Sure, its monetization, but the game-time i have gotten out of ONI already, has surely amortized the purchase costs.

Now i only hope that we will have some more balancing/changes to the late-game-waiting-game, which is unfortunately still a bit unfulfilling.

@Ipsquiggle: You still need to pin this thread.

Although it seems good news to be exiting early access, I would like to know how late game performances is handled (above 600+) , any story driven elements, the lil holes in certain features (medicine/infections/and such) and how the endgame is handled. As of now, the space part seems rather unfinished and uninteresting. What are the plans for that?

Congrats on getting this far! You've made an amazing and truly unique game so far; I'm excited to see where it goes.

And who know what crazy creations the modding community will come up with! What a great idea! You definitely are listening to your supporters here, this is something that I've seen requested quite a bit.

WOW.. Thank you to the entire team, Been a long trip getting here, has been a blast, more so then i would have ever imagined,  .

According to Steam....>>Purchased: Mar 22, 2017 @ 10:13pm And i have logged in 1010 Hours . All I can say is WOW for the price of admission it was SO worth it and i also got a free Game for alpha appreciation.?? WOW guys !!

"Official"MOD support is also amazing to hear, I have been using mods for some time (larger map is important to me) Along with a few others, It adds to the long term play-ability . Who am i kidding i have BEEN playing for 2 years , and am not in the least bit bored.

This old guy thanks you VERY much.

14 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I do not like those DLC mechanics,

Agreed. However, if those DLC mechanics are 

1. Add PV=nRT to the game (remove one-tile-mechanics)
  2. Add F=ma to the game, and maybe even Youngs Modulus and other principles from statics and strengths
  3. Add convection and radiation to the game
  4. Add (insert other conservation law) to the game

and you can pick and choose which laws of you want to keep, and which you want to remove, then that would pretty awesome. Basically, each addition, or removal, would be a completely different game, with a completely different set of assumptions, rules, logical loopholes, exploits, etc. That, in my opinion, would be completely worth it for DLC.  If it's "Hey, here is some nuclear stuff that we didn't have time to get in the original", then scrap the DLC and just use mods. 

Now at 1188 hours of play time, this game is definitely my all time favorite. Even with the crazy exploits (which I love finding and brutally abusing), I'd buy it several times over.

As a side note, every numerical approximation will have its own set of flaws. Finding those and exploiting them is one of my favorite things. As they change code to address one issue, new ones will arise. 

@Ipsquiggle, I do hope you can eliminate infinite power loops, gas converters, and liquid duplication (along with the metal cannon) before the final release, and give us enough time to try to break the fixes. Thanks for the amazing game. 

10 hours ago, qda said:

I've very frequently thought about using some basic ONI simulations to illustrate and teach general concepts in physics (mostly heat transfer), just to make some courses more playful, more interactive and more interesting for students.

AMEN!  I've thought about requiring students to purchase the game, as part of class registration. I haven't yet dared bring up the idea to my department chair or dean, but might someday soon. :) 

3 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

AMEN!  I've thought about requiring students to purchase the game, as part of class registration. I haven't yet dared bring up the idea to my department chair or dean, but might someday soon. :) 

A Klei/Universities partnership : a free copy of ONI to every science student who pays tuition fees. ONI class on friday afternoon : no more absenteeism.

Joke aside, I can honestly see that happening as there are more and more progressive thoughts in modern education, with various alternative media to support courses and renew teaching. I really can see myself trying it once the game is fully released, but I still need to put a lot of thought into it. Glad to see some people are thinking about it too !

On 3/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Thank you so much for all your bug reports, your feedback and all the wonderful support you have given us during this journey. We look forward to launching this game with you.

That's right community; it's up to us to post meaningful bug reports. Include your save files and log files. And let's give this team the support they need to put out an awesome game. I know I'm psyched.

Archived