nakomaru

Superheating Methods

nakomaru    97

I would like to know of the available methods for heating things beyond 1000C. I'd like to build a new Regolator for converting regolith into igneous rock for use. But if it's easy enough to build I'm thinking of melting wolframite tiles to avoid 50 percent matter deletion by digging, and other applications 

Currently I'm aware of:

1. Volcanos. But they can't process very high temperature loads.

2. Rockets. But they can't be built everywhere and are very chaotic. (Addendum: Rocket exhaust stops heating matter at 3200K. Might be nice for certain applications!)

3. Glass forge. But heat exchange is miserable and not very high.

4. Tungsten Wolframite kiln. Pretty nice, easy to build. Goes to melting point without an issue.  Maybe nice for melting a little bit of wolframite. But power output is very weak. (Oops, no such thing as tungsten kiln. Next highest temperature kiln is Wolframite.)

5. Metal refinery with liquid metal coolants. Probably the most realistic for high capacity loads. It requires a ton of setup and a fuel source though.

6. Some kind of chlorine clamped tepidizer? See the embedded video in this thread. Does this still work? It seems like the easiest and cheapest method if so.

Anything else?

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 2

mathmanican    545
11 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

and other applications 

I can only imagine. ;)

Check this post for ideas.  I'm sure we can use it, and the liquid duplicator (somehow) to make renewable metals. 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Like 1

Junksteel    44
8 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I'm thinking of melting wolframite tiles to avoid 50 percent matter deletion by digging

Stupid question:

Even if you melt it, you would have to dig it at some point in order to use it, right?
How can you avoid that deletion of mass?

• Like 1

Yothiel    50
17 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Stupid question:

Even if you melt it, you would have to dig it at some point in order to use it, right?
How can you avoid that deletion of mass?

Under a certain mass, a tile of liquid will freeze into free debris rather than a diggable tile

• Thanks 2

Lilalaunekuh    380
9 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I'm thinking of melting wolframite tiles to avoid 50 percent matter deletion by digging

Thank you, so much ;)

Didn´t thought of that and will try to build something to do this.

(I want a central system that can distribute heat to any wolframite tile around the map, not something I have to rebuild next to each group of tiles.)

PS: I will try it without using the metal refinery.

nakomaru    97

I'd love to see it!

From what I gather, that clamped tepidizer is based on some very old bugs and won't work. Refinery is the only good source for high heat these days, I think.

Another good resource for dealing with high temperatures: 

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1

Lilalaunekuh    380
7 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

. Refinery is the only good source for high heat these days, I think.

Yes it´s the most reliable, most accurate source with the highest reachable temerature.

(But having enough to refine is an other topic.)

So if my goal is to melt wolframite, I can´t use volcanoes or the glass forge (and I am not in the mood for tepidizer shenanigans).

=> This leaves just rockets and the metal refinery.

Maybe you guessed it: I like solid fuel thrusters (and I would even run them for their actual cost^^).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yunru    303

I do believe there was a build of a self-sustaining melter, since the entire thing's temperature positive (go figure).

• Like 1

lee1026    38

Solid fuel boosters melted my ceramic back wall, so I suspect it will melt regolith with ease. 

Melting tungsten is going to be a whole other adventure. 

Lilalaunekuh    380
22 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

Solid fuel boosters melted my ceramic back wall, so I suspect it will melt regolith with ease. 

Melting tungsten is going to be a whole other adventure. 

Rocket exhaust is clamped at 3200K

=> Rockets can´t melt tungsten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

tzionut    198

Thanks @Lilalaunekuh I must redefine the working concept of my rocket heating system for melting abyssalite. I think i will go wild on the abbys bugs version. The untamed ones :) and see what i can do. This is my new goal. 

Zarquan    529
4 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

Lots of Wolframite kiln in a vacuum until it melts itself, then use that liquid wolframite in a refinery? 

When wolframite melts, it becomes tungsten.