The Liquid Bead Gas Pump (Bead Pump), or The Reverse Sprengel Pump

Also, a question:  Could this be designed to pump a gas down using hydrogen as the "beads"?   It would be less efficient, since gases move so much slower, but I am curious (but don't have time to test it myself).  My bet is not really and you wouldn't get anything approaching the infinite compression we get here.

30 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Could this be designed  pumping a gas down using hydrogen as the "beads"?

I'll play with it and let you know, once I've come up from my precious metal rabbit hole, with infinite Tungsten as the result. 

I loved your post on exploits on the previous page. Best explanation I've read. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Could this be designed  pumping a gas down

Yes, yes it can. As aforementioned, I've done it by accident, which is especially infuriating as I still can't figure out the logic of it.

21 hours ago, Yunru said:

EDIT 2: Okay, I have no idea what's going on. This is somehow pumping the above to the side:

Could you upload the save on this one?  My current logic hypothesis could use your save file to confirm/break it. I think what is happening is that the pressures are equalizing, and the pressure from above was higher than to the right, and so the pump "appears" to be pushing gas right, when actually it is just equalizing the pressures. I'd love to toy with your save.  Here is my most recent save. 

Viscosity.sav

Fun fact, if you have a third liquid in the mix, that floats above the petro, then you can turn the bead pump into a matter converter (the CO2 here is quickly becoming steam). I believe to get a matter converter working, you need a "bead, bead vacuum, bead, bead, vacuum" pattern. This is precisely what the matter converter pattern is.  The bead pump can achieve it easily with 3 liquids. The space under the water bead below is vacuum, and you'll never see a gas make it's way down there.

5c8d2b9cb62d2_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1610-57-54.thumb.png.95ef106ec5c2905c039d952382121303.png

image.thumb.png.5d1f2d8cc3adfb5f8a78dec29fc1aa52.png

This is a multi-layered bead pump.  It runs the liquid through multiple bead pumps with only 1 bead producing mechanism.  (I just noticed I misplaced the liquid vent a little, it should be in the petroleum).

It is only slightly larger than a door pump, though it can only pump upward. 

Each chamber is self contained and could be a little larger to allow for gas pumps.

Within 2-3 cycles, it captured 98% of the CO2 in the chamber and put it in the smaller chambers, while pulling in CO2 more evenly from the environment, as there are two entrances for CO2 to come in.

I plan to build this in space to capture CO2 from meteors to feed to slicksters.  (as part of a larger mechanism)

Alas no, it's too many autosaves away. Trying to recreate it has annoyingly resulted in failure.

Although on load a block of sedimentary rock would randomly spawn either side of the second airflow tile down, so it might just be a bug.

36 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

This is a multi-layered bead pump.  It runs the liquid through multiple bead pumps with only 1 bead producing mechanism.

Did you notice, catch, these builds in my start post?  They were in spoilers, so pretty easy to miss. They might add to your plans.  I'm excited to see the final project you're building. I'm envisioning you'll use bunker tiles instead of insulated walls, and then stacking this to the sky. It would be interesting to know if having a gap between each pump, like you did, to allow gas to enter from both sides, is better than just capturing it from each side independently. 

5c8aa8f34e47e_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1413 5c8a9fa41bb2c_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1400

This could also easily capture both steam and CO2 from rocket launch, just run a single bead pump down the length of each side of the silo.

5 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Did you notice, catch, these builds in my start post?  They were in spoilers, so pretty easy to miss. They might add to your plans.  I'm excited to see the final project you're building. I'm envisioning you'll use bunker tiles instead of insulated walls, and then stacking this to the sky. It would be interesting to know if having a gap between each pump, like you did, to allow gas to enter from both sides, is better than just capturing it from each side independently. 

5c8aa8f34e47e_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1413 5c8a9fa41bb2c_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1400

Oh, sorry, there were so many pictures I must have missed that one.

I build a single bead pump in space with a large drywall bowl to catch CO2.  The bead pump appears to be capturing about 5 kg/s CO2.   That is enough CO2 to provide 13 duplicants with oxygen (if you boil the petroleum).  From one bead pump.  The average might be lower, so I should probably do a 50 day average to be sure.

17 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

The bead pump appears to be capturing about 5 kg/s CO2.

Awesome use.  I love it. All thumbs up.

If you top it off with a matter converter, you can provide 50 dupes oxygen, all from the CO2 from space. :) That's probably too much of an exploit though.

Just now, mathmanican said:

Awesome use.  I love it. All thumbs up.

If you top it off with a matter converter, you can provide 50 dupes oxygen, all from the CO2 from space. :) That's probably too much of an exploit though.

Yeah, I don't like matter conversion.

I put a ton of molten slicksters in the bead pump such that they can't actually move.  That way, I don't need to move the CO2 out of the pump.

5 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Yeah, I don't like matter conversion.

Take care to make sure you don't accidentally get a droplet of water in your bead pump from some stray steam.  If you do, then this thing can become a matter converter on accident. It's a dangerous game. :) Hard to avoid all the exploits. 

8 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I put a ton of molten slicksters in the bead pump such that they can't actually move.  That way, I don't need to move the CO2 out of the pump.

Pictures when you're done?  Please, please?  :) 

image.png.f8e6a807e048250c81278606e488f15b.png

I used sandbox to spawn in 111 molten slickters.  They can't path anywhere.  The shipping arm takes eggs and drops them with the slicksters.  These slicksters are wild, but in reality, they would be tamed but not groomed, so they should be self-replacing.  But their metabolism will decrease, so I will need a lot of them.  Unfortunately, I don't want to get dupes up there to groom them due to the meteors, so they can't be happy slicksters unless I have a dupe or multiple dupes living there, which could easily be worth it for the FPS. 

This is an open ranch, so they aren't overcrowded.  But if they were, I would need a better mechanism to deal with the eggs, like a separate hatching room or the mechanism I have in my current slickster ranch, where the slickster eggs are dropped in to another "room," and the larvae swim up crude oil back to the main room.

I also need a mechanism to get the meat and egg shells out of the room.

12 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Also, a question:  Could this be designed to pump a gas down using hydrogen as the "beads"?  

I played around with it a bit.  I doubt we'll get the same kind of efficiency, as hydrogen can move left/right in addition to up/down as it climbs upwards. It does actually work in moving gas this way, but also some hydrogen slips.

5c8d4eb0cf802_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1613-27-20.thumb.png.ca320ff80735ce8f6cb6fc66ba41a143.png

If you add a couple gas locks (commonly used CO2 locks) and make sure the gas on each side will only be one type, then BINGO, this principle does work. But man is it slow (percentage based, yes, so under huge pressures would be fast). However, if the pressures are too different, then you might get an entire line of hydrogen (pump stops - no vacuum possible), or oxygen (gasses equalize - better off just deleting the whole thing and let them equalize faster). This is in line with pressure mechanics of ONI.

5c8d50cd54564_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1613-32-47.thumb.png.4589bba6727c868f0ef6fabdb0ddef04.png

I could probably rig to have the pump exit (O2 Lock in bottom right) after the hydrogen entrance area. This could potentially offset the equalizing pressure problem, but the pump is still very slow and won't ever be able to achieve vacuum (as once the O2 from the left eventually does all move over, the left region will fill with hydrogen. 

Useful?  I'm sure we'll find a way to use this.  It's ONI!  :) 

The version below will work until (1) the pressure in the bottom right exceeds 20kg (vent fails), or (2) the pressure of O2 in upper left drops below the H2 pressure, 

5c8d5420ac50a_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1613-51-22.thumb.png.bfab6cf02b209529e0752ac1158c7954.png

Archived