Sign in to follow this  
nonoxyl

command module automation

nonoxyl    29

TIL the command module has a automation send port that issues an enable signal when the ready to launch checklist is complete. This has greatly simplified my rocket automation and it works great. Bunker doors open and gantry retracts when command module says ready to launch and the same happens when the space scanner detects the incoming rocket. Just need to assign an astronaut, pick a destination, launch and forget.

image.thumb.png.22ec2dda5fdf92a739367f33496318fd.png

The only issue I have is that the gantry extends unnecessarily while the rocket is on mission and retracts again when it lands. That is no big deal but the waste of power kind of bugs me. I am trying to figure a way to keep the gantry retracted during missions so that it only extends after the rocket has landed. 

Anyone have a solution for the gantry?

chemie    384

yah.  lock that astronaut in there forever and no gantry needed again

• Like 1

nonoxyl    29
43 minutes ago, chemie said:

yah.  lock that astronaut in there forever and no gantry needed again

I only have one dupe on this game so that is going to make the rest of the game fairly pointless.:)

JohnFrancis    81
30 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

I only have one dupe on this game so that is going to make the rest of the game fairly pointless.:)

With only one dupe when you launch them into space you will have zero dupes and the colony lost pop up. You can always continue but that is annoying.

chemie    384
33 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

add a second, launch the rocket and you are back to 1....

lee1026    39

When you only have the one dupe, what does he do when he leaves the ricket? Even if the gantry is there, the most he is going to do is eat something and get back into that rocket. No real errands are going to get he done.

nonoxyl    29
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

With only one dupe when you launch them into space you will have zero dupes and the colony lost pop up. You can always continue but that is annoying.

The only effect it has on the game is the printer pod stops when the colony is lost. If you reload after your mission has completed, the colony will no longer be lost. Kinda annoying but I can live with it.

20 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

When you only have the one dupe, what does he do when he leaves the ricket? Even if the gantry is there, the most he is going to do is eat something and get back into that rocket. No real errands are going to get he done.

I play with a single dupe for performance reasons. As you can imagine, it is slow going. Even with hydrogen rockets setup, I still have a lot of my asteroid to develop at cycle 1000. So I want to be able to get in and out of my rocket as I gather more space materials.

Edited by nonoxyl

Oozinator    1,613
9 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

I play with a single dupe for performance reasons.

wuahahaha ^^

nonoxyl    29
3 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

wuahahaha ^^

i7-3610. old fart of a CPU. I get about 10 fps by cycle 600 or so with an 8 dupe game. This last game I decided to go for just a solo dupe and see how it went and I and still getting over 40 fps at cycle 1000 (with a jetpack too!).

Oozinator    1,613
Just now, nonoxyl said:

i7-3610. old fart of a CPU. I get about 10 fps by cycle 600 or so with an 8 dupe game. This last game I decided to go for just a solo dupe and see how it went and I and still getting over 40 fps at cycle 1000 (with a jetpack too!).

i2500k .. 10 dupes 40 Frames 1000 cycles triplespeed.

nonoxyl    29

On the off chance someone is interested, here is the solution I found.

Command module "ready to launch" disables the gantry and opens the doors.
When rocket is on mission, the doors close and the gantry stays disabled.
When the returning rocket is detected, doors open and gantry stays disabled.
When rocket has landed the doors close and the gantry enables.

image.thumb.png.15ee1fbaf0168ae0023f4522901bbb5c.png

It requires an atmo sensor at the base of the rocket that triggers at 2Kg (for a hydrogen rocket. petro and steam maybe different).

image.png.06b03474e3371e8224748b299286c799.png

SharraShimada    206

You can safely remove the or gate between your command capsule and the scanner. Its useless. The signal will always be red, and becomes green if either of them gives the active command. The or gate has really no purpose here.

Oozinator    1,613
On 7.3.2019 at 10:50 PM, nonoxyl said:

How many cycles, till you built your first rocket?

Flocc    2
11 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

You can safely remove the or gate between your command capsule and the scanner. Its useless. The signal will always be red, and becomes green if either of them gives the active command. The or gate has really no purpose here.

He can't. He doesn't want his scanner to set the Memory Gate.

• Thanks 1

nonoxyl    29
10 hours ago, Oozinator said:

How many cycles, till you built your first rocket?

I was not in a hurry to get into space. At cycle 200 I tunneled up to the surface to dig a vacuum barrier across the top so the heat didn't propagate down through the regolith. Then I took my time. First launch was right about 500, but I could have done it earlier than that.