How Do You Like Current State of “!!”

6 minutes ago, goboking said:

That's my point.  Unless you've been very impatient or lacked the foresight to reserve priority 9 for emergencies then I don't see why anyone would ever need this feature.  I'm not saying it's inclusion is a bad thing, mind you, just that it's something you should never need to use if you're thinking through your priority settings.

i see your point. Under your play style, you don't need it. But I am a very "impatient" person, and I like to get things done. I don't want the simulator to grow with minimum human intervene / with just priority, I want it to grow however I like whenever I feel like it within the game's offering. And the game is offering "!!". If you want to say, I don't need it in the first place, then this post has no point to you in the first place. Btw, with a perfected setting of priority, your dupes behavior is very consistent, also it means they are fixed. I had time when my dupes were doing their own thing perfectly and grow slowly, and me as a watcher, closed my eye lick, fell asleep and knocked my head against monitor. It did wonder to me. I'm not saying this is good, or that is bad. I'm just saying, this topic has its value. "!!" 's current functionality is fundamentally flawed for those who wants to use it, in my opinion.

I do not like it in any way, most because of "breath holding" mechanics.
I use a seperate shift with 100% worktime and high prio on the tile to dig out.
After that i add dupes again to their shifts. Sometimes one dupe with high subprio is enough..

21 minutes ago, goatt said:

i see your point. Under your play style, you don't need it. But I am a very "impatient" person, and I like to get things done. I don't want the simulator to grow with minimum human intervene / with just priority, I want it to grow however I like whenever I feel like it within the game's offering. And the game is offering "!!". If you want to say, I don't need it in the first place, then this post has no point to you in the first place. Btw, with a perfected setting of priority, your dupes behavior is very consistent, also it means they are fixed. I had time when my dupes were doing their own thing perfectly and grow slowly, and me as a watcher, closed my eye lick, fell asleep and knocked my head against monitor. It did wonder to me. I'm not saying this is good, or that is bad. I'm just saying, this topic has its value. "!!" 's current functionality is fundamentally flawed for those who wants to use it, in my opinion.

We had 9 priority settings to work with.  Your mileage may very, but 1-7 was enough for me to have everything running like a well-oiled machine and still left 8 for projects I wanted done now and 9 for emergencies.  By all means, make full use of !!.  But my advise is this: if you find yourself using !! often then there's probably some inefficiencies in the way you're handling your priorities.  Not that that's bad, per se, but it's an area that can be cleaned up if you're looking to run a tighter ship.  :)

3 minutes ago, goboking said:

We had 9 priority settings to work with.  Your mileage may very, but 1-7 was enough for me to have everything running like a well-oiled machine and still left 8 for projects I wanted done now and 9 for emergencies.  By all means, make full use of !!.  But my advise is this: if you find yourself using !! often then there's probably some inefficiencies in the way you're handling your priorities.  Not that that's bad, per se, but it's an area that can be cleaned up if you're looking to run a tighter ship.  :)

I have used 1-9, mostly under 8. And I don't use "!!" often. But it most of the time made me waited 1/4 to 1/2 cycle before things got done. I'm not looking for tighter, I played tighter, not for me, I have strong perfectionism, it was not a game for me anymore. I'm trying to make full use of it, but it's dumb. Our play style differs, and we can't categorized as "we" in this specific case. And I said all that just to put you in my position to look at what I want. Yes, you have a perfect system to you, and if I use it, it will improve my efficiency. But also will kill a lot of my desire to play the game, cuz it did.

"!!" is entirely about life-and-death situations as far as I'm concerned. If a dupe is just idle it's not worth disrupting the colony's sleep cycle to rescue him quickly. It's when he's stranded in an area with carbon dioxide and is running out of air that I'll pull out !!.

This happens more often than I'd like. Usually it's because a dupe was on the wrong side of a dig and climbed upward into an unreachable location. Sometimes it's because they've somehow managed to fall down outside of my built up area.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

"!!" is entirely about life-and-death situations as far as I'm concerned. If a dupe is just idle it's not worth disrupting the colony's sleep cycle to rescue him quickly. It's when he's stranded in an area with carbon dioxide and is running out of air that I'll pull out !!.

This happens more often than I'd like. Usually it's because a dupe was on the wrong side of a dig and climbed upward into an unreachable location. Sometimes it's because they've somehow managed to fall down outside of my built up area.

exosuits were the single best thing for dumb dups.  you get more than a cycle to rescue the idiots

2 hours ago, chemie said:

exosuits were the single best thing for dumb dups.  you get more than a cycle to rescue the idiots

The thing is that you now don't get a notification of unreachable bed anymore, so when you finally realize the dupe is stuck it is usually about to die xD

I WANTED to use the !! for emergencies, but that priority is "do whatever you are doing nonstop", not, STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING and go do this particular task first. It is completely useless for me now, because it is basically the same as the 9 priority, but more troublesome.

We can force a dupe to stop doing his current task by using the "move to" button. Under emergency when you drop a pause then order a dupe to move to the spot he is standing in and then set a nearby task to "!!" should force the dupe to do the task as long as there isn`t any idle dupe anywhere. Just in theory though.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

We can force a dupe to stop doing his current task by using the "move to" button. Under emergency when you drop a pause then order a dupe to move to the spot he is standing in and then set a nearby task to "!!" should force the dupe to do the task as long as there isn`t any idle dupe anywhere. Just in theory though.

Move to didn’t work, the nearby dupe is way down on the candidate list. I had to use doors to separate dupes to force some efficient work. Tedious

2 hours ago, melquiades said:

It is completely useless for me now, because it is basically the same as the 9 priority, but more troublesome.

Your CAP words, and this, are so true. It’s just priority 9.5, maybe plus no sleep no breathing. What’s good? That’s dumb

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

My problem with the feature at the moment is that despite the alarm happening, it doesn't pinpoint the dupes to the spot. It's very frustrating.

Priority for specific task has to be higher then other active ones (dig for example), or they will do other higher prio jobs first, when subprio of another task is higher.

Archived