A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

Please don't make it so that nothing grows during winter at all... Winter is already obscenely boring. If you removed planting trees and twigs and grass growing then there would be NOTHING to do during winter except hire pigs to kill stuff for you and kill rabbits and birds... And then when summer is back you would be forced to do mostly just stockpiling for the winter since you cant get anything during winter.Im down for difficulty, but not if it means restricting all the choices a player has and forcing you to play the game only 1 way.Even now winter already forces some very strict goals as to what you need to accomplish before winter arrives or your chance of survival is almost none.

Winter is far from boring: You can hunt for Mactusk N' SonYou can hunt for winter KoalefantYou can kill winter birds to make darts.You can kill Deerclops. Next update there will be snowman, penguin swarms added, and maybe some other things we don't know yet. You can get all summer resources (grass, twigs, berries, carrots) whole winter and it breaks the prepare for winter logic. You don't have to make anything new, or special you just play like always, cause all things are there during whole winter.Some other stuff like some island you can access during winter only via ice bridges would be fun.

Winter is far from boring: You can hunt for Mactusk N' SonYou can hunt for winter KoalefantYou can kill winter birds to make darts.You can kill Deerclops. Next update there will be snowman, penguin swarms added, and maybe some other things we don't know yet. You can get all summer resources (grass, twigs, berries, carrots) whole winter and it breaks the prepare for winter logic. You don't have to make anything new, or special you just play like always, cause all things are there during whole winter.Some other stuff like some island you can access during winter only via ice bridges would be fun.

I agree with you.I really was surprised when I saw that trees still grown during winter, because stocked a full chest of logs for winter, and then I saw that trees were growing normally.Grass an Twigs are important, but you can still collect a lot of it during winter, since everything is ready for harvest, they just won't grow back until winter ends. Not having clothes to walk during winter might be a problem, but not that big of a deal.I think that when it's almost winter, like, snowbirds are already landing but it's not having snowstorm, those itens should be collectable, but when full winter hits the ground, the plants should die (harvested stage) and the trees should stop growing.That would make winter preparation a thing.

I agree with you.I really was surprised when I saw that trees still grown during winter, because stocked a full chest of logs for winter, and then I saw that trees were growing normally.

Those are pine trees. They in reality grow all winter.

Those are pine trees. They in reality grow all winter.

I know that. I know too that Pigs do not talk, spiders do not have half a size of a human, walruses don't use hats and hunt with darts, etc, etc.I just thought that we would have to stock wood in order to keep feeding our fires.

I know that. I know too that Pigs do not talk, spiders do not have half a size of a human, walruses don't use hats and hunt with darts, etc, etc.I just thought that we would have to stock wood in order to keep feeding our fires.

Why? Everything about winter discourages turtling. (Deerclops breaking structures, farms stop producing). Stockpiling necessitates turtling, while the type of winter they made promotes a nomadic lifestyle, especially in conjunction with the increased spoilage rates.

That is a ridiculous argument. You can still use a certain amount of common sense when it comes to how the game will function. When you first played this game and needed a log for a fire, did you think to yourself, "hmm... I know logs come from trees but...this game has talking pigs! surely then my logs must come from a completely unrelated source that is not grounded in reality whatsoever!" Probably not. That is completely backwards logic.

That is a ridiculous argument. You can still use a certain amount of common sense when it comes to how the game will function. When you first played this game and needed a log for a fire, did you think to yourself, "hmm... I know logs come from trees but...this game has talking pigs! surely then my logs must come from a completely unrelated source that is not grounded in reality whatsoever!" Probably not. That is completely backwards logic.

Little trees from seeds don't grow during winter, even the pine trees. Nature plants them at fall and they sprout at spring. But whole this talk is going in wrong direction. Even if you want be able to plant trees during winter there will be enough trees to chop around you. When you wont be able to plant them, it can cause some problems with guardian trees, forest fire will be a little more punishing, you will have charcoal, but no new logs for that log suit. Its a game and don't have to be realistic or mimic nature, since when you get tree higher than you immediately after you put pine cone into the ground? Tree takes years to grow for wood, so don't bring me they grow in winter in real life argument here.

So I'm capped at 10k xp and the next character is a blacked out image of Woody.Does that mean he's the next character?Heres to hoping that crazy bastard only stays sane if he eats monster meat or something awesome like that.

Little trees from seeds don't grow during winter, even the pine trees. Nature plants them at fall and they sprout at spring. But whole this talk is going in wrong direction. Even if you want be able to plant trees during winter there will be enough trees to chop around you. When you wont be able to plant them, it can cause some problems with guardian trees, forest fire will be a little more punishing, you will have charcoal, but no new logs for that log suit. Its a game and don't have to be realistic or mimic nature, since when you get tree higher than you immediately after you put pine cone into the ground? Tree takes years to grow for wood, so don't bring me they grow in winter in real life argument here.

My argument was that I simply assume common sense before assuming something entirely different. Knowing pine trees continue to grow during the Winter, I assumed in Don't Starve they would continue to grow during Winter. It doesn't make sense to claim that because some aspects of a video game are unrealistic, that you should assume an unrealistic possible conclusion for every other facet of that game. Yes, the pine cones immediately turn into little saplings... but does that mean you're going to try to light your fires with water now? Hell no, because you know, even in an unrealistic game, that water pretty likely won't burn.

My argument was that I simply assume common sense before assuming something entirely different. Knowing pine trees continue to grow during the Winter, I assumed in Don't Starve they would continue to grow during Winter. It doesn't make sense to claim that because some aspects of a video game are unrealistic, that you should assume an unrealistic possible conclusion for every other facet of that game. Yes, the pine cones immediately turn into little saplings... but does that mean you're going to try to light your fires with water now? Hell no, because you know, even in an unrealistic game, that water pretty likely won't burn.

I dare you go outside during winter and try to dig up hole in frozen ground. That would be fun to watch, not to mention that any plant would die cause of freezing roots of said plant, pine trees also would not survive planting during winter. Growth during winter is so slow that in game we can just make it stop to use less power.

Winter happened on day 12 for me. Not nearly enough time to prepare for winter. On day 37 now and winter seemed to subside slightly but then come back in full force with no summer. Days still short. Food doesn't satify as much and my worlds no longer get created with berry bushes anymore. Also, my bee boxes never produced any honey in summer or winter. No time to hunt Koalefant for vest because barely keeping food and sanity levels up through winter and not enough time during day without freezing to death. I had 12 days summer and then 25 days all short days of winter.

I dare you go outside during winter and try to dig up hole in frozen ground. That would be fun to watch, not to mention that any plant would die cause of freezing roots of said plant, pine trees also would not survive planting during winter. Growth during winter is so slow that in game we can just make it stop to use less power.

Working in construction I had to pry up some frozen earth just the other day. Winter gardening is also a legitimate hobby... but I digress.

Working in construction I had to pry up some frozen earth just the other day. Winter gardening is also a legitimate hobby... but I digress.

Checked some gardening sites and they advice planting Evergreens at spring and fall. Anyway the whole trees life cycle in this game lacks stage 1, it should go like this: sapling-> little tree-> and so on until fully grown tree. The instant trade from pine cone for 2 logs is bothering.Winter planting in this game is not limited to trees, toy can plant everything: berries, grass, saplings. While you must wait for berries to grow you can immediately trade 1 pine cone for 2 logs.

Checked some gardening sites and they advice planting Evergreens at spring and fall. Anyway the whole trees life cycle in this game lacks stage 1, it should go like this: sapling-> little tree-> and so on until fully grown tree. The instant trade from pine cone for 2 logs is bothering.Winter planting in this game is not limited to trees, toy can plant everything: berries, grass, saplings. While you must wait for berries to grow you can immediately trade 1 pine cone for 2 logs.

^ThisI am for atleast one day sapling stage.

^ThisI am for atleast one day sapling stage.

To mention saplings anyway. We get out twigs from sapplings which are described as "Baby trees are so cute!" from Wilson. Will they ever be grown up trees? Making the sapling stage a twig gathering stage and the tree stage for wood?

Are you by any chance going to hotfix some world generation issues before the next patch?I mean the lack of Tallbirds, Pig Kings, Roads and some other things from time to time (rocky biomes, Beefallos) in Sandbox. Or are those intended?

I agree it doesn't make much sense to have the actual saplings in the game be an entirely different entity...doomed to never grow into a full tree. If I want twigs I am likely snapping off the old dry brush from the biggest trees or foraging on the forest floor. I would never dream of coming across a sapling in actuality and tearing it's tender little shoots off.

Horray! They fixed winter! Happened on Day 20 this time. Good thing, too, as I couldn't find any beefalo 'till day 18. Much needed for winter prep. Honey and food nerfs a bit tough, but I'm determined I can make it thru winter, Deerclops willing. ;)