A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

The fact that warrior spiders spawn from level 1 nests now, and that you might have to fight as many as three of them, is really hurting my ability to gather silk! Its really hard to get it. I am guessing I am supposed to cam outside a den at night and wrestle with them as they come out and grind for silk if I ever want a hope of getting enough for bird traps for feathers...But I haven't gotten to that point. I keep dying before two weeks are up.Boy the combined changes of Sanity and Winter is really kicking my ass. I'm also running nearly on empty when it comes to food almost constantly.The game has become quite stressful. However there is only one thing that is actually upsetting me. It is becoming very hard to find rocks. It takes me about 4-5 days before I finally find some, and then I'm obtaining gold from them less frequently. Maybe its just my bad luck, but, I've gone through 15 lives since sanity update was released and the new world gen was implemented and I'm just not finding boulders.Not being able to build even the basic science machine is really hurting my survival chances.Anyway, that's my input so far. I haven't survived long enough to hit Winter yet so I have absolutely no idea what that is like yet. But THANK YOU GUYS for fixing Abigail. It feels good to be able to play as Wendy again.

OK, some feedback from me (seasoned player) after playing the new update:I love the winter theme, the danger and difficulty it provides, the threat of freezing and starving due to lack of resources. It's just brilliant! (I also love Game of Thrones, go figure).I like changes to Sanity, feels more fluid now, I agree with those changes completely.Pigs became formidable opponents and valuable allies. I love playing with and around them.No more Crockpot Twigs abuse! I'm not sure about new worlds generated after the update - I like Ponds showing in more places, Mosquitos are fun, spreading out Teleportato parts around the map is a great idea and new landmarks are always nice, but it seems to be much harder to find rocky biomes. Also Tallbirds and Beefallos are almost extinct, which I don't really like. And the lack of roads...I used to play some RTS games and it usually was a bad idea to double-nerf something. I think you should either nerf the armor values or damage done to monsters by the player and see if this is enough. It would also let players get used to using new tactics easier. Nerfing both those values seems harsh - if I was not an experienced player I'm sure I would struggle a lot more. I have nothing against those changes, but maybe implementing them in a more gradual process would be more appropriate, just for the sake of new players. What I really don't like is what happened Spider dens. I understand they are much harder now with Spider Warriors defending level one Nests, but why they also level up faster? I would maybe agree with those changes if you hadn't double-nerfed player's combat capabilities.Overall, I like the new update. I dig the increased difficulty level - it was much needed. Still I'd encourage you to look close at the changes you did and maybe fine-tune them here and there. Also take a closer look at world generator - the lack of roads and some resources (in Sandbox mode I mean, I'm more than fine with it in Adventure) is something I'm a little concerned about.

One thing:I've built a camp fire to chop some trees without freezing, and the fire was low (Wilson examining it would be: "The fire is a bit low").So I chop some trees, and when I chop the one closer to the camp fire, a pine cone drops right next to it, and all of the sudden all my trees and logs got burned.Is it a bug? Because, like I said, "The fire was a bit low". Usually to stuff burn like that, the examination would be "The fire is getting out of control" or something like that.Or maybe it was always like that but I haven't noticed?Just wondering.

It is becoming very hard to find rocks.

I just want to say that I had the same experience, playing in a freshly generated Adventure world, I was surprised that I couldn't find enough rocks to make my machines or a fire pit until winter came on Day 12.Deerclops didn't kill me in my first winter playthrough but I had to abandon my camp and run because he wouldn't stop rampaging. Mr D also trashed my machines, my chests and my fire pit. Having this happen is actually more stressful than killing Wilson outright. :grin:Love the winter update. It has definitely made the game more difficult. With Mr D destroying my camp, night fell, the hounds came, and I had no fire. If not for the beefaloes to stop the hounds for me, I would've died. On the run with a torch, I realized my health was down to 1. Dire straits indeed.I actually survived that, and the rest of winter. The snow disappeared, the days lengthened. I was searching for the final piece of the teleportato when I died to homeless warrior spiders.No sign of the walruses. Wish I had met them!I liked the little setpiece scenes surrounding the teleportato parts. The extra materials are like little rewards for finding them, especially since they are so scattered across the map now. I am struggling more than I thought I would, not so much with food but with hard-to-find resources such as rocks (at least in my world) and a faster-than-expected draining sanity meter, but I guess that's a good thing given what the winter update is supposed to do. Love the winter birds and their sounds. Falling snow, especially in the night, is beautiful to watch. Kudos to the art and animation team.While I'm glad the maps now show roads, I'm not crazy about the (darker) paths. It's a cosmetic thing but I wish they looked nicer.The mosquitoes are hilarious and nasty. Heh.I like that the attack, armour and food values have been adjusted to make things more challenging. This, along with warrior spiders from level one dens, create more stress and excitement. But I have to say I don't like that the spider dens cycle through the different levels more quickly.All things considered, this is an awesome update. Great job, Klei!

Yes, sanity doesn't increase automatically anymore while daytime.

Thx a lot man. I thought that it would be a bug, but however... How can i get up the sanity now??? Eating food and sleeping during nights>??

I think the overall update is quite OK, even though there seem to be a couple of bugs. Now the thing is : what the heck are those huge black roads that show on the map as well as in the world ? I thought they were linked to sanity at first, but it would seem like not... Does anyone know ?

I think the overall update is quite OK, even though there seem to be a couple of bugs. Now the thing is : what the heck are those huge black roads that show on the map as well as in the world ? I thought they were linked to sanity at first, but it would seem like not... Does anyone know ?

They are dirt roads now. To make it a little more "realistic"

It's intended.

I always enjoyed reaching a point of equilibrium in a game where I am super awesome and can kill anything and survive anything. At least for a little while. When I get bored I can always start a new game. However, do I really want to play a game that I am trying as hard as i can to finish because it has become "work" and not "fun"? At some point I think it should be feasible that once the player escapes the "demon" worlds they could reach a friendlier world in which they could play with less constant tasks and upkeep. It would be nice to be the King of this world and replace Maxwell even. Because in the end dont we want to get him back for trapping us here??

I totally agree with that.My first impression on the update (just from watching the trailer): Everything looks awesome =DHowever, I´ve got a question: does winter only come on new maps, or will pre-patch ones work too?

I totally agree with that.My first impression on the update (just from watching the trailer): Everything looks awesome =DHowever, I´ve got a question: does winter only come on new maps, or will pre-patch ones work too?

winter in pre patch maps will work too..but you'll be missing the walrussers..

I not like the winter update for one reason:

I often die from low HP and never from starving.

I was not able to build warm Vests because i did not find any Koalefant.

This results in freezing most of the time and lost HP.

I only was able to survive if i stay next to a campfire and most of the time not able to do anything.

Food was no problem at all, but it was so boring that i have to stay next to a fire most of the time.

There should be a possibility to build some kind of warmer Vests without a Koalefant.

And than the Deerclops came and destoyed my camp. First it was no problem, but he came in 3 days in a row, leaving nothing behind.

When i lured him away he came back. When i lured him to a Beefalo mob he killed over 10 and not died. Even some more Tentacle were no match against him. Without a camp and no warm Vests besinde a Winter Hat i died freezing to dead, with full hunger.

Maybe now the game should called, dont freeze :D

You're making this game too annoying and too hard to have fun with. I'm sure all the "seasoned" players will roll their eyes and come out of the wood works to explain how easy the game is but all my friends and myself are no longer having fun with the game. I bought the game for myself and my wife and we used the codes to bring in a couple friends of ours, now a days no one plays the game because they don't find it fun anymore. Every patch that goes by more and more of my friends stop playing because all they see is the game being catered to the hard core and the masochist that want to suffer and die and revel in it.If you're trying to make a 'rogue like' game where you fail over and over again I don't see my friends or myself staying with the game cause it's not fun anymore. I highly recommend that you stop pandering to the 'seasoned' beta testers and start dealing with new people cause they're the ones that you should be concerned about. The people here have already bought the game and know everything there is to know about the game so of course they're all going to think everything is too easy for them when they'll just find some dark corner of the map to hide in and only come out when they feel safe (like a groundhog). You need some fresh eyes from newer people to give you a idea of how the game is like to everyone else because all I see is unjustified nerfs to the game to appease the small but vocal hard core crowd.

If you're trying to make a 'rogue like' game where you fail over and over again I don't see my friends or myself staying with the game cause it's not fun anymore. I highly recommend that you stop pandering to the 'seasoned' beta testers and start dealing with new people cause they're the ones that you should be concerned about.

The first statement here and the rest contradict each other, why make the game easier IF they are making a rouge-like where you die over and over again? I could summarize what you are saying in a few sentences I would bet I'm pretty much spot on.tl;dr Me and my friend that shares the same taste in game does not like the rouge-like genre you are heading and thus would like to illogically alter the course of the game so it fits my taste rather than actually fining another game that fits my ( read me and my friends ) taste, I un-educationally gives an recommendation of how you should design your game.The fact that you refer the hard-core players as the group that does the best is silly, it's been proven several times that none-hardcore players can breeze through this game without effort, and yes this includes me seeing as I'm not a hard-core gamer.Now even this sounds like bashing it really isn't, I'm curious when you bought the game, what were your expectations of an uncompromising survival game with rouge-like elements? Did you think it was going to be casual? or hardcore? or something in between?

Damn noob whining is gonna ruin the game. The update is good as it is still easy to survive if you use some strategies instead of running like stupid into a monster horde. It's a survival game and it needs to be challenging! I'm still doing very fine and have much more fun then before the update. Why do you have so many problems and must cry about everything after 10 minutes of gaming? Try to think about new strategies and not to to destroy them...