Winona's Character Update is Coming Next Week!

2 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

I think you either ignore or miss my point but if not it is fair enough you feel that way. I don't agree.

It's really one of those things were you can take it however you want.

Consider the day/night time. It's short right? Like 8 minutes. Within that timespan the hunger drains fast. So imagine being in the rain for... half a day we'll say-and you never get to go to any form of shelter once it ends.

The rain will soak into your clothes. It'll make it heavier, the wind will be colder against you, and your skin will begin to wrinkle. You'll start to stink.

Pair that with the fact most characters already have some mental distress before even entering the Constant. Pair that with the fact that the characters have been at ends just to survive. Pair that with the fact that they are in a horrible unfamiliat world. Pair that with the fact that they may never see home again. Pair that with the fact that it's possible they are aware of their multiple deaths and the endless limbo they are stuck in.

Now, I'm getting more and more extreme but you see the point? It's not the same if you were the stand in the rain for an hour or more, and it's just one isolated event. That's a minor distress. Go home take a shower and drink some cocoa.

As for the shadow creatures. They're drawn to the "insane", and not imaginary. They just become visible and tangible the closer you are to losing it-which might I add: "insanity" as a mechanic may not mean one is actually insane and not insane after eating a mushroom. That wouldn't be realistic. Instead it seems to be akin to mental distress. Insanity is a poor word to begin with. What exactly does it entail? It most cases it's used in regard to some symptoms of certain mental illnesses.

Point is there is a lot more to consider than "well if I'm in the rain for a bit I'm not bothered", and to be frank trying to explain things realistically is just not something that can be universalized.

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

It's really one of those things were you can take it however you want.

Yeah.
And I do get that They are real monsters drawn to the state of players mental health. But I still stand by that rain, no matter how long we can argue it's raining nonstop for, should have that drastic of an impact on any sort of distress.

The difference I see is that other inputs are pretty intuitive. Darkness is scawy, playing tricks on your mind, seeing things that aren't real or maybe they always were real. Doing mushrooms or drugs in general has across time always been associated with going bonkers or invoking spirits that mortal eyes can't normally see. Going deep into caves is not only scary naturally but all that lovecraftian magic that induces madness I mean it's just.. feels more justified?

Rain. Uh, makes you stressed out, apparently? Discomfort? To the point of a deranged mind? Mmmh, alright but, I'll never not see that as the biggest stretch of logic to date.

I don't feel like the negative "mental state" that Them should revolve around to count towards what sounds like everyday depression? Frustration? Rather themes around paranoia, unclarity, knowing things and seeing things not possible to be comprehended. Rain doesn't really do those? (does it?)

I've never seen a person playing DS not questioning why they are so insane when it's been raining. It just doesn't add up why those would be connected, not until you really start paying attention to the sanity bar (or read the wiki) and even then they wouldn't really make the connection between that arrow pointing down and rain because it's actually the clothes being wet which means rain could've ended days ago anyway. And only once they do know it's the rain and the wet they settle for "I guess that could make sense"

Ok, so the trailer told me a few things:

• The first few frames is a detective (or a conspiracy theorist?) trying to find relation between all this cases. I don't think Winona made any of this. This might become one of the new DST characters (if they are not Winona, that is). Eh, this was debunked just by reading the description of Winona's new skin head: "when all signs pointed towards the Voxola Radio Company, Winona knew what she had to do". Oh well.
  • It seems Wagstaff is the "other" silhouette from the 2 silhouette characters coming to DS (to be specific, the tall one that is standing up-right). Most people thought it was the smaller silhouette (though I can't blame anyone: that one looks more like Einstein or a scrawny scientist/gadgeteer, while the other looks like a strong aviator/explorer or something like that; as it was promised). It could still be the smaller silhouette given we only got a glimpse, but it looks like it is the big one. This could also be a red herring and Wagstaff already entered the portal, while this big fella was the one making the conspiracy connections in the first few frames, entered the Voxola company, discovered Wagstaff making the portal and getting in, he got sucked in by accident, and was almost saved by Winona.
  • It is possible (although not likely) that one of the new DST characters is going to be that lady Winona saved. They gave her a bit too much attention and she even cried at the end, so she is probably a very special character.
  • Winona met with Charlie before she took the throne! Or at least she doesn't have the same weird bird-like flower Queen Charlie has on the head, but she also looks different to when she meets Wilson (looks more like Charlie), so is hard to say an exact point in time...
  • Winona looks like her father, while Charlie looks like her mother; and that Winona and Charlie are roughly the same age... It also seems like her father has big lips similar to a certain magician... What if the "William Carter" twins are Winona and Charlie and not Wendy and Abigail? That would be quite a twist.

The carter twins can’t be Winona and Charlie. There is a letter that somebody posted on a lore thread that basically proves Winona has never met Maxwell

Dear Winona,

How are you?! Congratulations on the new job! I knew you would find something soon. Have you settled in alright? Are you taking care of yourself?

I'm still here in San Fran and things are going well. My magic act partner has taught me so much about showmanship in such a short time. I think you two would really get along! You're both very stubborn. Haha!

5 hours ago, pedregales said:

• It is possible (although not likely) that one of the new DST characters is going to be that lady Winona saved. They gave her a bit too much attention and she even cried at the end, so she is probably a very special character.

Doubtful, her name was made up on the spot in the stream and didn't start with a W. She was adorable and had more detail to her since she was there to supply some drama (almost dying) and paint Winona in a good light as she didn't hesitate to offer her hand for her and the lady was visibly upset by the presumed death of both Winona and Wagstaff as the other workers watched the factory burn down. 

She was cute but would likely be a rather bland addition as she'd be a line/factory worker in skills like Winona. 

12 hours ago, pedregales said:

Or at least she doesn't have the same weird bird-like flower Queen Charlie has on the head, but she also looks different to when she meets Wilson (looks more like Charlie), so is hard to say an exact point in time...

That's a stage headdress of sorts, a feathery one I believe.
Maybe Charlie was also a burlesque performer? :D

Archived