Simplest automation for rocket fueling and launcher

Inspired by the @biopon post  Detecting incoming rockets with 100% certainty at 0% network strength and @WanderingKid post Gantry Automation for auto fueling and automation, and my improved version of  LH +LOX  [Design] LH+LOX+Steam Turbine, under you have the simplest automation for rocket fueling and launcher. In spoilers more details:

3.thumb.jpg.b2df74e8fb6af3d9856d9529a0ab5997.jpg

4.jpg

How it works: 

The rocket arrive at base and activate the atmo sensor set at over 1000 kg. When the sensor is deactivate activate the and gate and start pumping the LH and LOX from the reservoirs. When all the hydrogen and oxidizer tank is full, the element sensor reset the toggle gate and stop the pump. If the cargo is empty the rocket is ready to go. I used wolfram rails for auto unloading (still in progress of being builded) 

Spoiler

2.thumb.jpg.d3b43dd3c733ac13e7ade388283f874a.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.b148c3550db9f70c52dfe35e69b1120c.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.164172b588e4ef896931c00c0a252304.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.9ff186c8045227385ad14c243549db62.jpg

Now the rocket is ready to go. I didn't use any gantry. After the dupe is on board i deconstruct it. As you see i wired the input and output rocket port whit the bunker doors directly and the output of the toggle circuit. When the rocket is ready it open the door then start and go. The rocket wont start if the doors aren't opened. After the rocket is launched the space scanners detect the outgoing rocket. Under you have the reset atmo sensor wired whit a 10 s filter (in case some meteorite hit the area) and a buffer at 15 s for maintaining the reset until the rocket goes over the bunkers doors, and the scanners don't see the rocket any more, then the bunker doors are closed until the scanners detect the incoming rocket. (see biopon topic for more details) 

Spoiler

8.thumb.jpg.83699bca6cc3b6faef63e028fb1d115b.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.28ad61db189377d1434efa4650613585.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.f8b2b147122f25b11070c1f7683d65bb.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.d41848ea6f1056d4178526478014c3c4.jpg

The LOX get back to the condensing chamber and from there to the storage LOX tank (the gravitas facility re purposed). The LH goes to the evaporation chamber and from there back to the condensing chamber ( i have some broken ceramic pipe)

In the Steam turbine area I have 3 aquatuners 1 for LH, 2 for LOX, 3 for further cooling the LOX, and the 4 will be for cooling my future solar panels. 

My plan is 4 rockets (1 part Hydrogen and 3 Oxygen) so for get rid of the excess oxygen I have 1 Hydrogen rocket and 3 petroleum rockets (now only 3)

All is build in survival mode, In the right you have the petroleum storage area, methane condensing chamber, and methane evaporation chamber for feeding my 11 natural gas generators. The sorting cargo and evaporation area will be moved in the right. As i said i prefer the 40k planets for isoresin and niobium, instead of 10k (to much refined carbon), because what i get along that rare resources (methane can be melted and natural gas used, ice, get melted and water used, solid oxygen melted, and converted to LOX, solid CO2, melted and converted to oil or polluted water) and for fullerene i go for the 30k planets (steel for anything, copper wires, glass for solar panel or crushed to sand) 

My plan is to use the heat for the rocket to further heat the future magma pool under the rockets (for melting purpose), and the heat from the bunker tiles in the silos to be transformed to power in my future steam generator cooling bunker. 

This is all enjoy it and thanks again to @biopon and @WanderingKid for the inspiration. 

Spoiler

13.thumb.jpg.5f2549cd0063e3ad1fda287238bd81e1.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.2e30f4557b5c738188408ad6c1adb61b.jpg

Hmm, in my hydrogen rocket area, steel is holding up fine with autolaunch; I even have some surviving iron from a previous retrofit. 

I think the difference might be that I dry-walled and cool my rocket silos between launches. With that said, if the launch area heats up by a few degrees with each launch, even thermium is going to melt at some point.

Does anyone here know how rocket heating actually works? The steam from the hydrogen rocket is about 4-500 degrees, which isn't even enough to damage my thermium pumps, let alone actually melt anything.

Without cooling the steam from the hydrogen engine goes to 2000 Celsius degrees. As i said I am still working on it. First the melting and conversion area for the solid oxygen, methane, ice and co2, then the cooling, for the bunker tiles, and then i will temp shift plate the area of the silos. 

I don't cool my silos at all there is no need, steel for everything automation and shipping rails. Seal the entire silo in bunker tiles to keep in the heat. Put in temp shift plates horizontally for the bottom seven tiles this stops the three center bunker tiles from melting. I tested it using a bug by having a hydrogen rocket engine fire constantly in the silo for 10 cycles, nothing melted.

14 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

If heat accumlates endlessly, wouldn't any material melt in time, including Tungsten?

There are two things going on from what I can see. 1 The "Dry" heat exhaust that simply heats everything in a 3*9 tile radius beneath the engine regardless of what is in the way, this is where most of the heat comes from. 2 the engine spits out steam or CO2 depending on engine type, this is much cooler than the dry heat don't know the exact figures but about 800 to 1000 degrees.

The two combine so that some of the exhaust heats to very high temp, hot enough to melt steel. However not all the gas exhaust ends up in the dry heats area of effect. This un heated exhaust ends up counteracting the heated exhaust and allows you to reach thermal stability before you hit the melting point of steel, well it did in testing. So you can have an infinity sustainable rocket silo, if you use a lot of steel and have a vacuum background. (Without vacuum the exhaust will accumulate and in theory the heating effect of the dry heat will go up)

4 hours ago, lee1026 said:

If heat accumlates endlessly, wouldn't any material melt in time, including Tungsten?

There seems to be a hard cap on the exhaust temperature right below tungsten melting point. I also saw a thread before metioning steel and even thermium automation getting melted by the rockets so i`d say tungsten is the only safe one (as long as somebody manages to actually melt it proving me wrong).

I had tungsten rails and wires melting in a creative save of mine, but I assumed it was a bug of some sort, as it was only a couple specific tiles that would melt, even though they wern't in the hottest places.
Also I didn't bother to record anything about that save, though I still have it if it's worth digging up.

Archived