This game is too easy/ This game is too hard - feedback

Silvi

I'm convinced now that the Devs (and many of those crying for more nerfs and a tougher game) ARE NOT starting new games and toughing them out until a solid base and steady survivability are achieved.

Note to Devs: You know all the tricks and have dev shortcuts to test your creations- your new player base does not.

I've never kept a game beyond 130 days because the tough part is getting there.

People who want their year(s) old games to be tougher are missing the point.

..and Devs who don't play their own game the way a new player will experience it will doom a beautiful thing.

I start new game for every update.

Just one per update? Your either pretty casual and infrequent, or your games are years long...just like I said.

again, you're grabbing at words.when a person says "I start a new world every update" it doesnt' mean it's just one O_o.

Just one per update? Your either pretty casual and infrequent, or your games are years long...just like I said.

Died 7 times from sanity update, learned and mastered sanity, now I'm near day 100, but will start new game after update.

I'm not a base camper. Even more i am trying to play the game with more risks as i naturally would, because if i try to survive i know i will, and it's boring that way. I think complete safety is too easy to achieve. I only die if i'm not even really trying to survive, but constantly take risks i would otherwise not take if i really wanted to stay alive. This game supposed to be a survival game, that said it's suppose to be hard to survive. But i find surviving easy, and the game only gets sort of "challenging" if you're not going for survival but for luxury. Of course I'm not one to tell how this game was meant to be, but as a survival game i think the focus should be on stuggling to survive, and not struggling to get something totally unneccesary like the tentacle skin and weapon. When was the last time you took a risk in game, because either you had to take it or probably die? I don't remember a moment like that personally. If i take a risk it's probably because of "lets get some spare manure, or a useless beefalo hat, or some wep to make nets to get some butterfly for base decoration.Hope i don't look like a hater or anything. I love the game and everything, but it really doesn't feel rogue-like at this state. I'm sure the Devs will change stuff like this. They said they will focus on difficulty curve.

I'd love to know how many hours per week Daddums spends playing Don't Starve. I've been here a little over a month and went from dying every 20-30 days to going 200+ without noticing, yet he's been complaining about difficulty issues since I got here. Surely you could of learned how to play this game by now? The developers want you to die when you play, and then learn from that death. Kevin has said it again and again, yet you seem to think the game should be casual. I think at this point you are just trolling.

I stand corrected from some people who don't follow the profile I submitted. I said many, not all- but point taken.

I did say "I'm convinced now that.." I stand by it. Of course there are exceptions. Glad to meet you.

..but I've seen too much evidence that supports my position to throw it away because a few good folks don't fit the mold.

It's been fun- but my wife will be yanking me back to reality soon and I want to get some bee hives going in my game before honey is nerfed again. I'll check in later though ;)

Edited by Daddums
changed 2 people to some- I type too slow.

I'm not a base camper. Even more i am trying to play the game with more risks as i naturally would, because if i try to survive i know i will, and it's boring that way. I think complete safety is too easy to achieve. I only die if i'm not even really trying to survive, but constantly take risks i would otherwise not take if i really wanted to stay alive. This game supposed to be a survival game, that said it's suppose to be hard to survive. But i find surviving easy, and the game only gets sort of "challenging" if you're not going for survival but for luxury. Of course I'm not one to tell how this game was meant to be, but as a survival game i think the focus should be on stuggling to survive, and not struggling to get something totally unneccesary like the tentacle skin and weapon.

When was the last time you took a risk in game, because either you had to take it or probably die? I don't remember a moment like that personally. If i take a risk it's probably because of "lets get some spare manure, or a useless beefalo hat, or some wep to make nets to get some butterfly for base decoration.

Hope i don't look like a hater or anything. I love the game and everything, but it really doesn't feel rogue-like at this state. I'm sure the Devs will change stuff like this. They said they will focus on difficulty curve.

We seem to feel the same about the risk factor. I feel like I only die in this game when I unnecessarily take dem risks. It's not that the game forces me to make a break for it. Rather I mostly die when I'm bored and at the same time too adventurous for my own good

I'd love to know how many hours per week Daddums spends playing Don't Starve.

I've been here a little over a month and went from dying every 20-30 days to going 200+ without noticing, yet he's been complaining about difficulty issues since I got here.

Surely you could of learned how to play this game by now?

The developers want you to die when you play, and then learn from that death. Kevin has said it again and again, yet you seem to think the game should be casual.

I think at this point you are just trolling.

I think it's the clamouring virus, it seems very active. I'm not exactly sure why is Daddums so negative about everything and so picky at the same time.

I stand corrected from some people who don't follow the profile I submitted. I said many, not all- but point taken.

I did say "I'm convinced now that.." I stand by it. Of course there are exceptions. Glad to meet you.

..but I've seen too much evidence that supports my position to throw it away because a few good folks don't fit the mold.

It's been fun- but my wife will be yanking me back to reality soon and I want to get some bee hives going in my game before honey is nerfed again. I'll check in later though ;)

Did you just admit you're preparing before an update? I'm confused now. I thought you found it apalling...

We seem to feel the same about the risk factor. I feel like I only die in this game when I unnecessarily take dem risks. It's not that the game forces me to make a break for it. Rather I mostly die when I'm bored and at the same time too adventurous for my own good

I think it's the clamouring virus, it seems very active. I'm not exactly sure why is Daddums so negative about everything and so picky at the same time.

Call me clamouring and negative. That's fine. I don't weigh-in on what is great about the game. Plenty of folks who lap up everything that's served up do that for me. I do what I'm supposed to do: Offer opinions about what I believe needs attention.

The fact that I and any others like me are summarily beaten down for the effort speaks to the general mood of the forum. Speak, hear and see no evil (calls for nerfs and tougher gameplay are allowed and welcome however). Fine. I am beaten. I will keep to my my negative self and only post happy fuzzies from now on.

Did you just admit you're preparing before an update? I'm confused now. I thought you found it apalling...

I was saying that I'm going to enjoy the honey (in my current 10 day old game) while I can before it's nerfed in the next update. I always start a new game anyhow. I tried to make a point, but it was lost..

Anyhoo- it's been a hoot. No need to respond as I'm gonna lurk quietly to myself for a while.

Edited by Daddums
Quote windows vex me.

I do what I'm supposed to do: Offer opinions about what I believe needs attention.

The fact that I and any others like me are summarily beaten down for the effort speaks to the general mood of the forum. Speak, hear and see no evil (calls for nerfs and tougher gameplay are allowed and welcome however). Fine. I am beaten. I will keep to my my negative self and only post happy fuzzies from now on.

Except to me it seemed you look at everything through some kind of lens that shows only what you want to see and assuming that people who want the game to be harder (note it's a survival game) want it because they are cheating in some way when it's mostly not the case. That's not offering opinion, that's making weird accusations:

To quote:

"I'm convinced now that the Devs (and many of those crying for more nerfs and a tougher game) ARE NOT starting new games and toughing them out until a solid base and steady survivability are achieved.

Note to Devs: You know all the tricks and have dev shortcuts to test your creations- your new player base does not.

I've never kept a game beyond 130 days because the tough part is getting there.

People who want their year(s) old games to be tougher are missing the point.

..and Devs who don't play their own game the way a new player will experience it will doom a beautiful thing."

These are all wild accusations and they're frankly a bit odd. It's not my aim to expect warm fuzzies but I would prefer to have a discussion that is not centred around complaints and stuff like "you all cheat and that's why you want the game to be harder"

I was saying that I'm going to enjoy the honey (in my current 10 day old game) while I can before it's nerfed in the next update. I always start a new game anyhow. I tried to make a point, but it was lost..

Anyhoo- it's been a hoot. No need to respond as I'm gonna lurk quietly to myself for a while.

I really have no idea what point that was, honest. That you are off to enjoy the game before it's updated? I'm not sure what purpose that serves... sorry. Edited by Silvi

Where did even the idea of cheating come from? Not me- the word or others like it have never clicked off my keyboard.Again, point missed. I won't beleaguer it further. I've beat it to death and no one wants to hear it anyhow. No matter. I've never been accused of having difficulty communicating ideas, yet I do seem to leave you scratching your head a lot. Seems I've stirred up lots of dander. Not my intention (despite claims to the contrary by some others).My bad. As I said before; I'll hide in the shadows and see how it all plays out. You guys can shape the game as you see fit.-- Daddums has left the building.

Hey everyone. yeah I start a new game every time, and what I love is the "ok I'm going to do this...oh wait I died this time...huh" next game!"I died on day 2 from a level 1 spider nest, thinking I could take it with an ax. Nope! But thats part of the fun, changing my play style every time

I understand what Dadums is saying. I dont know why everyone jumped down his throat, maybe it was the way he said it. But his point, I believe, is that when a creator/developer gets to know his creation extremely well then they might lose the ability to see it from unbiased perspective (a fresh perspective). This could possibly lead to making the game have too steep of a learning curve. That's where we come in, the BETA testers. However, after we have played for enough time, we fall into our own survival strategies and gameplay patterns. And when a certain feature is changed, people who rely on it for their particular strategy are incensed. However, when it comes to overall game balance, some features truly help balance the game and some just make the whole thing unstable. So it is through this whole process of testing and posting that the developers can eventually release a finished, awesome product that is friendly to gamers: and those gamers who did not participate in the BETA. I agree with Daddums that new players and new perspectives are GOOD for any BETA because a constant influx of fresh perspectives makes the finished product a better one for all potential consumers/players. ;)-Sara