State of Dirt Balance

12 minutes ago, gredalusiam said:

Hmm I haven't gotten that late in the game yet. 20 dupes sounds like a lot though! I've yet to play very far with more than 12 dupes though, so maybe it helps speed things up a lot and it's worth the resource strain?

If you are new to game I would hold off on going too high on dupes

I'm surprised nobody mentioned space as a source of CO2. The trail of CO2 that comets make can captured by building a bunch of background tiles and placing pumps. The CO2 that comes from comets coming in in a ten-stack rocket silo is enough to keep one gas pump running constantly.

I noticed this one while trying to recuperate the exhaust from rockets, which is also a nice bonus on your CO2. Provided you can cool these gasses down as they are quite hot when they come in.

20 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

You seem to have overlooked one crucial detail here - outputs from generators can only be relied uponĀ ifĀ you're using the ridiculous power output you're referring to.

66.6 natural gas gens that are idle give zero output, see my point? Unless of courseĀ you're happy to piss away resources in the quest for polluted water, which let's face it, would be pretty inept.

Sometimes the raw maths are pretty useless in an actual running base.

Don't connect them to a battery. Then they run constantly.

Actually they only stop running if you're using smart batteries connected by automation wires. With normal batteries generators run nonstop even after the battery reaches full capacity.

The talk about using rockets and Nat gas generators for CO2 gave me an idea.

Has anyone looked into collecting the CO2 from jet suits? And carbon skimming it for polluted water > sieve > dirt?

You could design a base in such a way that there are gaps in between rooms that dupes have to fly over. To maximise CO2 from the jet suit exhaust. I'm going to open up the game now and look at the numbers.

Edit: nvm theres nothing in game that tells you about the petroleum intake or CO2 production of jet suits

2 hours ago, ChickenMadness said:

Edit: nvm theres nothing in game that tells you about the petroleum intake or CO2 production of jet suits

also wouldn't it be more effective to simply use a petroleum generator for turning petroleum into dirt?

You yield more CO2 from jet packs (3x by mass) than from petroleum generators.

Ā 

With that said, if you max out all three oil wells, you should net 2.5kg CO2 per game-second. That will scrub down to about 400 grams or so of dirt. That is 240 kg per cycle, which is far more dirt than I suspect anyone needs.

2 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

The PW is kind of besides the point, because the CO2 will convert into Pwater at 3x rates.

we are missing some numbers here, you say the get suits produce 3x more CO2 than generators but how much petroleum do they use? is it the same rate?

Jet suit produces 3x the mass of the petrolĀ used in the process.

Ā 

Each kilo of petrolĀ used inĀ jet fuelĀ get you 3 kilos of co2, which yieldsĀ about 500 grams of dirt.

Each kilo of petrol used in petrol generatorsĀ get you 500 grams of Pwater and 250 grams of CO2. That yields you somewhere on the order of 150 grams of dirt.

Ā 

You get a lot more from jet fuel usage.

Ā 

With that said, I am pretty sure just burning up the fuel on rocket missions and collection the exhaust works better.

Ā 

1 minute ago, lee1026 said:

You get a lot more from jet fuel usage.

With that said, I am pretty sure just burning up the fuel on rocket missions and collection the exhaust works better.

Ok but can you maintain 100% up time using this method?Ā 

34 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

I think a jetsuit base funnelling all the co2 towards a carbon skimmer / water sieve room is going to be my next project lol.

do some debug tests first and post results on how much PW you can produce per cycle so we can compare it to a petroleum generator

On 2/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, chemie said:

So for 22Ā dups with wild wheat harvest as main source, I still need about 20 tiled wheat, in a greenhouse, for contant bread production.Ā  This requires 3 continuous PW geysers being sieved to make dirt.Ā  This is just about steady for dirt (and the greenhouse fertilizer).Ā  So I am using a 0.01% seed to get those 3 geysers.

Does this sound balanced?Ā  Does Klei just not want any wheat farming?

What are your alternative crazy designs to generate enough dirt for modest wheat farming?

3-4 rockets to the terrain planet?

Massive puff farms with slime cookers for dirt?

Do you like where the dirt balance is?

I hate my job so I stole company time and made this real quick.

It shows a whole process from an oil well to the dirt needed for sleet wheat at the end. There are four data sets.

1) petrol from an oil refinery

2) boiling crude to petrol (not accounting for power of boiler)

3) boiling crude to sour gas (not accounting for power of boiler/condenser, but 40% loss for sulfur)

4) just running a single petrol gen at 100%

Book1.xlsx

10 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

A dupe would need to wash it's hands ~36 times a cycle to support dirt for for Pepper Bread just for themselves.

It is a lot and not very efficient. But it is a way, I'm just saying.water.thumb.gif.bc4c8234e0132dd74b28be00c9d832f7.gif

25 times for a sleet wheat, not 36, cuz each wash produces 200 polluted dirt.

Also, this newly printed Catalina produced 9kg polluted dirt on his first day.

Archived