Jason

Don't Starve: Hamlet Roadmap

Recommended Posts

Salient    19

Anyway we could get some sort of update? Updates were supposed to be released during the month of March and it's mid-April and still no word from devs. All we have is a beta branch for testing some features...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,093
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Salient said:

Anyway we could get some sort of update? Updates were supposed to be released during the month of March and it's mid-April and still no word from devs. All we have is a beta branch for testing some features...

Yeah, normally I'm pretty patient with this, but even just a vague update on what's going on would help a lot. Hamlet is supposedly to release this month and we haven't even seen the first phase from March's update make it to live. It is a little worrying.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roosev    978
9 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Yeah, normally I'm pretty patient with this, but even just a vague update on what's going on would help a lot. Hamlet is supposedly to release this month and we haven't even seen the first phase from March's update make it to live. It is a little worrying.

...delay confirmed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hamlet is supposedly to release this month and we haven't even seen the first phase from March's update make it to live. It is a little worrying.

Wasn't the first phase the multitab and multi rooms changes? 

Edited by FreyaMaluk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    4,975

We got the beta, multiple rooms, Trunk chest, Bramble bulbs, that annoying/broken multitab, towns in other DLCs, we've gotten some stuff, just not a lot of what they announced we'd be getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roosev    978
4 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

unless they manage to cram it all into one mega update this month.

Then we will very likely end up with an update that looked like the QoL update.

pls no

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
1 hour ago, Roosev said:

Then we will very likely end up with an update that looked like the QoL update.

pls no

Hamlet is still in development... To expect an update has to be perfect is a bit unfair..

There is a huge message warning us every time we play that the game might contain bugs and it's unstable in the beta. That warning is in there for good reason.. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roosev    978
4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Hamlet is still in development... To expect an update has to be perfect is a bit unfair..

There is a huge message warning us every time we play that the game might contain bugs and it's unstable in the beta. That warning is in there for good reason.. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for perfect.

I'm just asking for not rushed.

The QoL update made the game unplayable for almost a day until they've released a hotfix.

Not much of an excuse for releasing an update that broke everyone's game. I mean, pretty much everyone on the day said they were crashing as soon as they've used the crafting menu in the game. Surely the developers use those crafting menus on their game builds as well when they're testing?...

It just looked bad because it seemed like a rather obvious bug that the developers should've been able to find on their own. Don't forget that the update got delayed too and it still ended up being broken to the point of being unplayable.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Roosev said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for perfect.

I'm just asking for not rushed.

The QoL update made the game unplayable for almost a day until they've released a hotfix.

Not much of an excuse for releasing an update that broke everyone's game. I mean, pretty much everyone on the day said they were crashing as soon as they've used the crafting menu in the game. Surely the developers use those crafting menus on their game builds as well when they're testing?...

It just looked bad because it seemed like a rather obvious bug that the developers should've been able to find on their own. Don't forget that the update got delayed too and it still ended up being broken to the point of being unplayable.

But that crash didn't affect everybody... The game didn't crash at crafting menu for me personally... So I can't attest to that... 

The only crashes I got were related to beefalo interactions for the QoL

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    4,057
8 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Yes but they’re still in beta, the first phase ain’t even done yet. We still haven’t seen any of the seasonal change or bosses, and Wagstaff and the other new character are supposed to come out this month along with the entire DLC.

 

This isn’t quite true. Bramble bulbs are the seasonal change for lush season, and they’re pretty great. Also, the Herald got his drop and the new armor. What we don’t have yet is the robot boss, but personally, I think that merged crafting and the ability to build anything in any DLC is more significant (and probably a lot more work) than any boss. So I would not say that nothing is happening on this front.

IDK what you expect. Obviously we all want it to be finished ASAP, but probably not as much as Klei does because they’re not going to make any money from it until that happens. I promise you, that’s much more of an incentive than foot tapping on the forums.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    473
9 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

But that crash didn't affect everybody... The game didn't crash at crafting menu for me personally... So I can't attest to that... 

The only crashes I got were related to beefalo interactions for the QoL

Even if that specific bug didn't happen to you (which is a little strange because it was a confirmed bug that got patched in the hotfix...), the update was still unacceptable. As Roosev said, it was painfully obvious that the update was rushed. These basic bugs would have been found almost instantly if it were actually tested. I also don't expect every update to be perfect, but its easy to see that the QOL update was a horrible mess put together at the last minute.

Klei themselves wrote an apology on a youtube video showcasing some of these bugs because the update was just that extremely broken. They admitted that the update was broken and below their standards.

"To be fair, when we named it the Quality of Life Update, we never actually specified if it would be a better quality. /s

Jokes aside, we're working hard on getting this fixed up ASAP. We really appreciate the bug reports on the forums, it's helping us sort this out and we thank everyone for their patience. Stay tuned for updates. Sorry for the less than stellar roll out on this now ironically named update."
 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

Even if that specific bug didn't happen to you (which is a little strange because it was a confirmed bug that got patched in the hotfix...), the update was still unacceptable. As Roosev said, it was painfully obvious that the update was rushed. These basic bugs would have been found almost instantly if it were actually tested. I also don't expect every update to be perfect, but its easy to see that the QOL update was a horrible mess put together at the last minute.

Klei themselves wrote an apology on a youtube video showcasing some of these bugs because the update was just that extremely broken. They admitted that the update was broken and below their standards.

"To be fair, when we named it the Quality of Life Update, we never actually specified if it would be a better quality. /s

Jokes aside, we're working hard on getting this fixed up ASAP. We really appreciate the bug reports on the forums, it's helping us sort this out and we thank everyone for their patience. Stay tuned for updates. Sorry for the less than stellar roll out on this now ironically named update."
 
 

 

Tbh I haven't seen that video on youtube.. or you mean Twitch? and I would appreciate if you could link the things you are referring to.

I'm not denying other people experiences with the game, but by default the experiences of the people that didn't encounter crashes from older saves shouldn't be dismissed either. As I said, I understand people's discomfort but the game is in Early Access, which unfortunately means they WILL have a   s h i t   ton of bugs... 

Just for contrast pls compare to the state of other AAA games that don't even work AT FULL RELEASE.

Now, do I condone Klei for releasing an undercooked update? No. Do I expect this can happen in Early Access? Yes. 

20190418193032_1.thumb.jpg.40827794226f78bf7ea469f19595acab.jpg

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    473
1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Tbh I haven't seen that video on youtube.. or you mean Twitch? and I would appreciate if you could link the things you are referring to.

I'm not denying other people experiences with the game, but by default the experiences of the people that didn't encounter crashes from older saves should be dismissed either. As I said, I understand people's discomfort but the game is in Early Access, which unfortunately means they WILL have a   s h i t   ton of bugs... 

Just for contrast pls compare to the state of other AAA games that don't even work AT FULL RELEASE.

Now, do I condone Klei for releasing an undercooked update? No. Do I expect this can happen in Early Access? Yes. 

20190418193032_1.thumb.jpg.40827794226f78bf7ea469f19595acab.jpg

Well, here is the video : 

The comment from klei is pinned.

I understand  bugs too, we are in EA I get that , but these are basic features. Beefalo riding was completely broken at the launch of the update along with the scrolling in crafting tab crash. All I am saying is it is clear the update was rushed out without testing, people are just worried that this will happen with the next update. We would all much prefer a delay than releasing the game broken. They said its scheduled to release in April, right? That's why we are worried. Its mid April and nothing so far, we don't want them to release a big chunk of content that ends up destroying the game as badly as the QoL update did so close to launch. They should take their time and test it. I don't think being in EA should give you an excuse to release completely broken updates. As you said, bugs are expected, but the QoL update was more than a few expected bugs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

Well, here is the video : 

The comment from klei is pinned.

I understand  bugs too, we are in EA I get that , but these are basic features. Beefalo riding was completely broken at the launch of the update along with the scrolling in crafting tab crash. All I am saying is it is clear the update was rushed out without testing, people are just worried that this will happen with the next update. We would all much prefer a delay than releasing the game broken. They said its scheduled to release in April, right? That's why we are worried. Its mid April and nothing so far, we don't want them to release a big chunk of content that ends up destroying the game as badly as the QoL update did so close to launch. They should take their time and test it. I don't think being in EA should give you an excuse to release completely broken updates. As you said, bugs are expected, but the QoL update was more than a few expected bugs.

I watched that when it released but I didn't notice Klei's comment in there. Tbh some bugs were kinda hilarious but that's beside the point.

I myself reported tons of bugs.. the invisible Beefalo if you use a hammer and many other crashes related to beefalos.... you can check the bug tracker section...

I also commented before in the DST roadmap that I fear both DST and DS updates are merging and that I was worried if they would clash..

Ofc I don't want them to release now an unfinished update with thousands of breaking bugs but I've seen in many Early Access processes with other games so I'm a bit more tolerant when it comes to recently release updates in EA. I guess I take Early Access updates to another standard cuz they are still in development and Klei fortunately is very communicative and fast resolving game breaking issues--- most of the time (Aporkalypse Calendar took a while and it's not perfect, same with synched day count and seasons) 

I'm just trying to make people see that some tolerance for Early Access is important to take into account when the rage fires rise sky high

Edited by FreyaMaluk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

The thing is, the "early access" thing doesn't apply to the QoL update. It was released to the main game branch with no testing. That buggy mess was released as a finished product.

The main branch is still in Early Access and it was in EA at the time... EA and BETA don't mean the same thing

EA is the grand phase of the game rn (meaning in development)... BETA is a test build inside the Early Access process.. again... A game in Early Access needs to be treated a bit differently from full released games

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caochu    599
5 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The main branch is still in Early Access

I don't think. It's at least no more written on the Steam page of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
1 minute ago, Caochu said:

I don't think. It's at least no more written on the Steam page of the game.

every time you enter the game there is a huge announcement on top of the game saying it's in Early Access and every time you access your save files there is a huge message saying the game is in Early Access... How can u miss it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caochu    599
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

every time you enter the game there is a huge announcement on top of the game saying it's in Early Access and every time you access your save files there is a huge message saying the game is in Early Access... How can u miss it?

I was sure you would confuse the Hamlet branch and the main branch, aka the base game (the one talked about here because you are talking about the QOL update that concerned the base game).

Plus, no I'm sorry but when I play a Shipwrecked or Reign of Giants, or vanilla game, there is no announcement. Cause no Early Access on that.

Edited by Caochu
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Caochu said:

I was sure you would confuse the Hamlet branch and the main branch, aka the base game (the one talked about here because you are talking about the QOL update that concerned the base game).

No i didn't ... Hamlet was and still is in Early Access.. it hasn't released officially ... I'm very clear on that fact

Beta branch is still part of Hamlet Early Access.. 

the QoL was for the base game but that doesn't change Hamlet development status... Hamlet is still in development

19 minutes ago, Caochu said:

Plus, no I'm sorry but when I play a Shipwrecked or Reign of Giants, or vanilla game, there is no announcement. Cause no Early Access on that.

really? this is what you see when u open the game dude... top and in the middle a huge EARLY ACCESS in the main branch

20190419012643_1.thumb.jpg.83a7844a577ac0b2732864650a7c9825.jpg

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caochu    599
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

No i didn't ... Hamlet was and still is in Early Access.. it hasn't released officially ... I'm very clear on that fact

Beta branch is still part of Hamlet Early Access.. 

the QoL was for the base game but that doesn't change Hamlet development status... Hamlet is still in development

really? this is what you see when u open the game dude... top and in the middle a huge EARLY ACCESS in the main branch

20190419012643_1.thumb.jpg.83a7844a577ac0b2732864650a7c9825.jpg

I am not your dude. But you are definitely trolling me. I can do it too. You know what is written BIGGER than Early Access ? Hamlet.

Now all this non sens is embarrassing. I hoped helping the discussion by clarifying some confused points, but I guess it just can't be helped.

Anyway to the Dev, keep the good work. Always a pleasure to play Don't Starve after 6 great years !

Edited by Caochu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5,020
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

I might be misunderstanding you, but the QOL update had nothing to do with Hamlet. Early access doesn't apply to it at all. It released on the main branch. Hamlet might have still been in early access when it released, but it didn't have anything to do with Hamlet. The QOL update was intended to refine the base game, which is long finished. Which it didn't really refine anything at all..... The point is, the QOL update had nothing to do with Hamlet so you can't really use the EA excuse to defend it.

As Caochu said there is no warning message about the game being in EA if you aren't using Hamlet. This update wasn't for Hamlet.

I think that was pretty clear

47 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

the QoL was for the base game

the problem is every time some update is released to the main branch affects the whole game.. the same thing happened when SW was in development and people who didn't even owned SW started to see some bugs affecting RoG... 

yes... technically the main game in not in EA.. in practice... pretty much the whole DS is getting changes by Hamlet development...

if you go to the bug tracker people are reporting weird world gen in RoG all as part of the changes that in theory shouldn't affect RoG... but they do...

I remember the people's comments in the forums due to all SW bugs and this is no different..

31 minutes ago, Caochu said:

I am not your dude. But you are definitely trolling me. I can do it too. You know what is written BIGGER than Early Access ? Hamlet.

Now all this non sens is embarrassing. I hoped helping the discussion by clarifying some confused points, but I guess it just can't be helped.

Anyway to the Dev, keep the good work. Always a pleasure to play Don't Starve after 6 great years !

im not trolling you.. this happened before in the SW development cycle... but whatever... 

Edited by FreyaMaluk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now