Don't Starve: Hamlet Roadmap

Jason

55 minutes ago, TurtleKitty said:

Wallace's head-shape could have been drastically changed from concept to final, like with Wormwood. 

Looking at both Wallace and Woodlegs(specifically their nose shape, presumed age, and questionable dental health)I think a safe assumption would be that Wallace might've been reworked into Woodlegs.

Then again, the same could easily be said for Winnie/Wigfrid, but new Winnie assets are added then removed from DST every now and then.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

New Characters
Beyond Wilba and Wormwood, we will be adding two more characters to the cast: a globetrotting adventurer lost and alone, and a mysterious inventor who finds himself exactly where he wanted to be...

Winon-oh wait. :wilson_ecstatic:

Also that hair GOOD GOD! 

image.png.63570da8f942881b7d216765cd660676.png

I didn't think it got any bigger than Wilson's hair...like seriously, that hair so big it's as big as the character model (minus the hair) itself!

Spoiler

Also with hair that big and wild I'ma be disappointed if the new character isn't Einstein. 

But what I assume is the globetrotting explorer is BUFF. Like the well proportioned buff, unlike Wolfman who always skips leg day. :wilsondisapproving:

Spoiler

Also the fact that Jason didn't mention the gender of the globetrotting adventurer I'm left to hope that maybe we'll get another female added to that Starving cast. :wilson_smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrashLord said:

how does a manbun fit a chef?

Is that a rhetorical question?

jooshthonk.thumb.png.f5b345e863e51680bbc84573e0b16523.png

1 hour ago, TurtleKitty said:

Wagstaff and Wallace?   

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Ppl seem to speculate Wagstaff a lot, but Wallace has a totally different head shape than any of those 2

latest?cb=20121227112134

Homeboy also has a beard.

Hey @Jason, will any of the Hamlet world generation issues be addressed before the official release? Hamlet world generation is pretty bad as it stands currently, with issues like inaccessible Ruins, small separated pieces of land, etc. I sent @bizziboi a message about it a while back, but sadly have got no response...

P.S, I was also wondering if Hamlet will be like SW, meaning that it will get numerous content updates even after it leaves Early Access.

Edited by SpoonyBardIV

New boss
During the Closed Beta Hamlet, I thought it would be a Jaguar guarding the ruins. I respect your choice, but I am surprised and "disappointed")
The sketch that I drew in October :)

YJQ1vaxoAb4.png

Edited by Bering
duplicate quotes
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
12 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Hey @Jason, will any of the Hamlet world generation issues be addressed before the official release? Hamlet world generation is pretty bad as it stands currently, with issues like inaccessible Ruins, small separated pieces of land, etc. I sent @bizziboi a message about it a while back, but sadly have got no response...

P.S, I was also wondering if Hamlet will be like SW, meaning that it will get numerous content updates even after it leaves Early Access.

There are some world gen bugs we want to solve. That fragmentation problem is one of them, yeah.

I don't know what post Early Access will look like yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

There are some world gen bugs we want to solve. That fragmentation problem is one of them, yeah.

If you want to see my message with screenshots of all the issues I found, here it is. I just thought it might be of some help.

Hi, there. I just wanted to inform you about a few World Generation issues I think you should know about. I wouldn't necessarily call them BUGS, because they happen every time I generate a Hamlet world. They aren't anything game-breaking, they can just be very inconvenient at times. So here we go.

The first issue is all of the HOLES generated in the world. It happens considerably more on larger worlds, but it happens on smaller ones too, to a lesser extent. It is not very pretty to look at, but the main reason I see it as an issue is because it can REALLY ruin some nice places where I would usually build a new Pig City. I have some screenshots below:

Notice all the holes in what would usually be a wide open area perfect for building a Pig City or just a regular Mega Base. Not only are they problematic for large-scale construction, but they are just so UGLY to look at.

HOLES.thumb.png.150a5d92bc5f7c9f15bd26ba5dfaecd2.png

Another MAJOR problem the holes can cause. Notice the two spaces where the land completely disconnects --- making a separate, unreachable island.

.HOLES.thumb.png.d8e8a2c49f97e38b77940c494caf3487.png

This is just a picture of what the holes look like in action. See? Ugly.

HOLES.thumb.png.1cc3d01dc37fb0e7bc81102100632760.png

And it happens in smaller worlds too, but not as much.

HOLES.thumb.png.d64e6e2441e6afad8bb5b07305d6beb3.png

The second issue I wanted to discuss is the layout of the Pug City in a lot of worlds. Not only are there usually HUGE EMPTY SPACES that are horrible to look at,

HOLES.thumb.png.495e17faa0bf1bfc9cb0c7df8a535158.pngHOLES.thumb.png.9344f1b834cc49d9ea769ec8290f021f.png

But a lot of times the Pig City just looks aesthetically displeasing. The Pig City would be much prettier if it was always like THIS (nice road layout that actually loops with no separate little roads, at least some level of symmetry)

HOLES.thumb.png.325e0a18ba26f0b0d7fd859a48d56713.png

Rather than THIS. This is actually a common occurrence. Towns and cities should be neat square blocks with houses lining the roads. Not misshapen messes like this.

HOLES.thumb.png.e5db94583782d512a4ce1a630e77c136.png

Anyway, I just thought you should know about these issues, so that there is a possibility of them getting fixed. I know I have made a post on this before, but that was to no avail. It would be really great if these issues were looked into, but you do whatever is the most important thing first. I don't want a couple of issues to get in your way.

HOLES.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I might as well offer my two cents here

I don't know if its a bug or intended challenge but sometimes jungle turf thats connected to water spawns really far away from other points of interests you may want to settle camp at, for example in my world, the "setpiece" is all the way across the map from the pig town

bases could be anywhere but i just think its randomized inconvience 

1 hour ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

If you want to see my message with screenshots of all the issues I found, here it is. I just thought it might be of some help.

Hi, there. I just wanted to inform you about a few World Generation issues I think you should know about. I wouldn't necessarily call them BUGS, because they happen every time I generate a Hamlet world. They aren't anything game-breaking, they can just be very inconvenient at times. So here we go.

The first issue is all of the HOLES generated in the world. It happens considerably more on larger worlds, but it happens on smaller ones too, to a lesser extent. It is not very pretty to look at, but the main reason I see it as an issue is because it can REALLY ruin some nice places where I would usually build a new Pig City. I have some screenshots below:

Notice all the holes in what would usually be a wide open area perfect for building a Pig City or just a regular Mega Base. Not only are they problematic for large-scale construction, but they are just so UGLY to look at.

HOLES.thumb.png.150a5d92bc5f7c9f15bd26ba5dfaecd2.png

Another MAJOR problem the holes can cause. Notice the two spaces where the land completely disconnects --- making a separate, unreachable island.

.HOLES.thumb.png.d8e8a2c49f97e38b77940c494caf3487.png

This is just a picture of what the holes look like in action. See? Ugly.

HOLES.thumb.png.1cc3d01dc37fb0e7bc81102100632760.png

And it happens in smaller worlds too, but not as much.

HOLES.thumb.png.d64e6e2441e6afad8bb5b07305d6beb3.png

The second issue I wanted to discuss is the layout of the Pug City in a lot of worlds. Not only are there usually HUGE EMPTY SPACES that are horrible to look at,

HOLES.thumb.png.495e17faa0bf1bfc9cb0c7df8a535158.pngHOLES.thumb.png.9344f1b834cc49d9ea769ec8290f021f.png

But a lot of times the Pig City just looks aesthetically displeasing. The Pig City would be much prettier if it was always like THIS (nice road layout that actually loops with no separate little roads, at least some level of symmetry)

HOLES.thumb.png.325e0a18ba26f0b0d7fd859a48d56713.png

Rather than THIS. This is actually a common occurrence. Towns and cities should be neat square blocks with houses lining the roads. Not misshapen messes like this.

HOLES.thumb.png.e5db94583782d512a4ce1a630e77c136.png

Anyway, I just thought you should know about these issues, so that there is a possibility of them getting fixed. I know I have made a post on this before, but that was to no avail. It would be really great if these issues were looked into, but you do whatever is the most important thing first. I don't want a couple of issues to get in your way.

HOLES.png

i'm not trying to undermine your post here, but personally i've actually never seen worlds like this.

Not saying it does not happen however.

12 minutes ago, Averagewx78main said:

I might as well offer my two cents here

I don't know if its a bug or intended challenge but sometimes jungle turf thats connected to water spawns really far away from other points of interests you may want to settle camp at, for example in my world, the "setpiece" is all the way across the map from the pig town

bases could be anywhere but i just think its randomized inconvience 

i'm not trying to undermine your post here, but personally i've actually never seen worlds like this.

Not saying it does not happen however.

No worries. If you want to see the things in the screenshots, just set your world to "Large". Doing that really increases the chances of those things happening.