[Game Update] - 309354

• Developer
  • Added background art to all doors to indicate that they prevent gasses from leaking into space
  • Fixed layering on gas rendering. Now all pipes and other background objects are partially covered by gasses, drywall and world background are fully covered.
  • Fix for Dupes incorrectly binge-eating tiny amounts of food
  • Duplicant Errand list correctly hides errands the Dupe would be unable to perform
  • Clicking certain notifications no longer moves the camera to the top left of the world
  • Remove redundant hotkeys in some tooltips
  • Revised artwork for rocket towers
  • Made several previously-untranslatable strings translatable
  • Fetches for micro-amounts are forced to complete
  • "Errands" tab shows on more than just buildings, e.g. digs, critters. Let us know if it's missing from anything still!
  • Fixed more text layout/wrapping bugs
  • Fix a crash when deleting a Duplicant or Critter with sandbox tools
  • Adjust height of the Critter Lure so that it has room for the bait
  • Proper fuel meter shows on the Liquid Fuel Tank
  • Liquid Oxidizer tank meter no longer stays behind when the rocket launches
  • Liquid/Gas/Solid cargo bay meters are hooked up.
  • Adjusted wordings on Rocket checklist to make it more clear when there are problems
  • Red Alert no longer prevents Emergency chores from being completed
  • Fixed priority of Find Somewhere Safer chore
  • Added tooltip for Emergency priority
  • Added priority values into tooltips on the Priorities screen

View full update

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Disabling a background tile like drywall when you build a floor tile on it may have been easier than all these side accommodations.

I am really puzzled by how they're handling this problem that they created. We don't know for sure why the original change was made, and I am trying to give them some benefit of the doubt, but no matter how they patch this mess it's a lot of extra work for them and space will always be ****tier for us than it was before.

29 minutes ago, biopon said:

I am really puzzled by how they're handling this problem that they created. We don't know for sure why the original change was made, and I am trying to give them some benefit of the doubt, but no matter how they patch this mess it's a lot of extra work for them and space will always be ****tier for us than it was before.

I disagree with that. I can't imagine it was too hard to change a few lines of code to make it so doors don't leak gas. As well as the fact that adding drywall to doors and tiles gave players an unfair advantage by increasing thermal reactivity to tiles.

I think the new art for the doors couldn't have taken more than 5~ hours to do, so I don't think it was a waste of development time.

Edited by Squeegee
More info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fixed layering on gas rendering. Now all pipes and other background objects are partially covered by gasses, drywall and world background are fully covered.

I love this. The packets of gas in pipes were making my skin crawl before. The new layering is beautiful!

12 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

As well as the fact that adding drywall to doors and tiles gave players an unfair advantage by increasing thermal reactivity to tiles.

You're assuming this was the reason. (And if anything it decreased the thermal reactivity by increasing mass, but let's not go there. Also let's not go into "unfair advantage" against.... what? It's not like there was this mega-op borg cube 2.0 that was enabled by this rather benign glitch.) An odd thing to spend hours and hours on, when there are dozens and dozens of issues each way more detrimental than this.

But again, assuming this was the reason for the change. It could have been anything else. Whatever it was, they probably thought "hey we can fix it by just setting NotInTile on drywalls, yay!" And they did, and they realized they need to address doors, mesh tiles, etc. So they did.

No matter what though, ultimately space is now a LOT poopier for us. It's hard to make changes to existing structures (like upgrade to viscogel doorways from whatever else you were using) without venting a lot of your gas, not to mention liquids (khm rocket fuel). Yeah it can ALL be worked around, I'm not doubting that, but it's just a huge dose of tedium the game simply doesn't need.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Fetches for micro-amounts are forced to complete

I'm not sure what this is referring to exactly, but the old issues of dupes constantly trying to deliver tiny quantities seems to be back. I noticed a dupe constantly delivering the same 7.6mg of algae to the same container, failing each time. I haven't seen that behavior for months.

Fixed layering on gas rendering. Now all pipes and other background objects are partially covered by gasses, drywall and world background are fully covered.

Well played, very well played. Slight disordering of the draw layers turns into a visual enhancement. The epitome of "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" Looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Aside from that, I agree with @biopon. If this had to do with thermal mass, simply counting it out of the equation would have been better. These background building changes both cause tedium, and reduce options. I'll personally be applying a mod to restore the previous behavior.

Edited by Dyrewulfe
Simple typo
  • Like 1

Great job on the gas rendering. Looks really nice!

The door artwork is great, except for the pneumatic door, IMHO. This door always had a "lighter" look and was great for room separation within the base without looking clunky like an airlock.

Also, I appreciate that doors now block gases from space exposure, but shouldn't the pneumatic door be an exception to this in the first place? It's not an airlock and when gases/liquids can pass from one side to the other, why shouldn't they be affected from space exposure within the door tiles itself? This makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WeSaidMeh said:

Also, I appreciate that doors now block gases from space exposure, but shouldn't the pneumatic door be an exception to this in the first place? It's not an airlock and when gases/liquids can pass from one side to the other, why shouldn't they be affected from space exposure within the door tiles itself? This makes no sense to me.

It's probably for the purpose of creating Rooms with high traffic on the Surface.  When both Manual and unpowered Mech Doors open and close too slowly for a room that sees a lot of traffic, like a Plumbed Bathroom or a Great Hall.  The way around this is to use a Pneumatic Door.  But if Pneumatic Doors don't block Space Exposure, you're going to be constantly bleeding air through the Door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WeSaidMeh said:

The door artwork is great, except for the pneumatic door, IMHO. This door always had a "lighter" look and was great for room separation within the base without looking clunky like an airlock.

I would totally agree that the pneumatic door feels a bit "heavy" now, but it´s just a graphic so nothing to really complain about for me.

3 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:
3 hours ago, WeSaidMeh said:

It's probably for the purpose of creating Rooms with high traffic on the Surface.

It´s a bit strange, because pneumatic doors let decor pass through and even auto-sweeper can work through them.

So my opinion would be to make the game more consistent:

Make pneumatic doors behave like mesh tiles.

=> Block decor and auto-sweepers (at least when closed.)

(PS: If they keep behaving like the only tile that let´s decor and liquids pass through them, why not give remove their backwall.)

No matter what though, ultimately space is now a LOT poopier for us. It's hard to make changes to existing structures (like upgrade to viscogel doorways from whatever else you were using) without venting a lot of your gas, not to mention liquids (khm rocket fuel). Yeah it can ALL be worked around, I'm not doubting that, but it's just a huge dose of tedium the game simply doesn't need.

I disagree. I updated the game on my laptop and play only on my wife laptop the stable version. In each version of preview what is already build stay like this until you deconstruct it. So before put gas in the storage area you must plan and construct all. 

It's probably for the purpose of creating Rooms with high traffic on the Surface.  When both Manual and unpowered Mech Doors open and close too slowly for a room that sees a lot of traffic, like a Plumbed Bathroom or a Great Hall.  The way around this is to use a Pneumatic Door.  But if Pneumatic Doors don't block Space Exposure, you're going to be constantly bleeding air through the Door.

In my case i used a lock of visco gel. For all the modification of my builds. The only limitation is the temperature (for evaporation or solidify it) and liquid touching the visco gel lock. 

The only problem I find is when you try to replace a tile whit a drywall and back when you want to make small adjustment like instaling a sweep arm, receiver and loader inside a space area whit gases or liquids. I would be nice if we could replace drywall whit tiles similar whit tile replacement insulated from metallic , or leaders.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DMFan79 said:

Neotuck, are you building an art gallery for dupes?

no I always load early stables with as much art as I can fit to manage stress for the ranchers

I reloaded the game for the update and noticed the hydrogen in my glossy farm was more visible now

13 hours ago, Dyrewulfe said:

I'll personally be applying a mod to restore the previous behavior.

You don't have to. Cairath developed a mod a week or so ago:

And yes, I will be using this mod. If there was a meaningful exploit that had to be fixed, it should have been done differently. I'm all for making the game more difficult. Hell, I would love for instance the drywall break and leak out gas if the internal pressure got too high of a pressurized room in a vacuum. But this change is just tedious and only leads to annoyance. I'm sorry developers, but this is the opposite of a QoL change. What also annoys me is that the developers never put out any reasoning for this. We can only guess based on the bug reports and what they have answered, but was that the true reason to go to such lengths just not to revert the changes? IMO, it looks more to be intellectual stubborness than anything else.

Edited by ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy
  • Like 2

The only way I can see the drywall thing being QoL is if they manage to make tiles, drywall, and tempshifts able to replace each other in one construction order.  Even then though doors will be annoying to replace.

Unfortunately it seems they are set on this change...

• Like 1