Hey Devs,

Still love this game. I'm taking a bit of a break because my life is taking priority, but can't wait to get back to it.

One thing that would massively improve playability for me (late-game) though? Drones. I know dupes are king in this game, but being able to manufacture simple drones, that do simple things, like repair in space, monitor refineries, or dig, would be HAYUGE. Even with pre-programmed macro-like tasks to limit the amount of special power they have, this would help to clear debris, fix broken machinery, and more I probably haven't considered yet.

To ensure balance, they could only go so far away from their charging stations, and their charging stations could be quite an energy drain.

This would pave the way for dupes to do less mind-numbing micro-managing upgrading and fixing work, and perhaps allow for near full automation and make endgame a bit more about space travel and a bit less about tearing your hair out trying to keep debris clear in space. As it is, I had to bail on my game once I got to space because it's just... Too cumbersome to deal with right now, and just printing more dupes doesn't help because I still end up having too much to micromanage (even with conveyer belts everywhere).

Possibly allowing more interesting space exploration options without worrying your base will fall apart?

It`s not new. People have been positng ideas about robo dupes for a while already. Some even wanted us to go fully mechanical and get rid of dupes. Btw i wodner if someon made a base where dupes don`t do anything and everything is automatic.

Yeah I just didn't see it. It doesn't shock me that someone wrote about this idea before. 

I could see a fully mechanical option for another play style, but maybe involving extremely late-game, far out-there tech tree research.

On the first case, I think it would just be extremely helpful for something to help sweep space debris! 

19 hours ago, smcjones said:

Yep, only robo-miners are almost entirely unusable on the surface. It's not the correct solution for surface exploration.

What`s wrong with them on the surface? Do you mean the overheat problem? People have found quite a few ways of cooling them down.

I can keep my robo-miners clean. That's not the issue.

I will eat my hat and welcome it if you know of any build that addresses these issues:

1. Keep satellites clear of debris
  2. Don't interfere with satellites (too much)
  3. Keep other robo-miners clear
  4. Don't block (too much) light for solar panels
  5. Stay cool

So far this appears to be a very unbalanced mechanic which is so complicated it is actually nearly impossible to implement. A realistic solution would be pre-programmed drones that respond to the automation system and perform a routine. They might be expensive to operate but what you lose in energy you make up for in better automation on the surface. As of now, I really don't see a single build (maybe missing it!) that doesn't involve micromanaging to the point that, unless you play this game for micromanaging (no judgement), it becomes extremely burdensome.

17 hours ago, smcjones said:

1. Keep satellites clear of debris
  2. Don't interfere with satellites (too much)
  3. Keep other robo-miners clear
  4. Don't block (too much) light for solar panels
  5. Stay cool

I think one of Neotuck`s builds adresses that but it uses thermium for the miners. Basic concepts: miners overlap so one can unbury others after shower. Scanners are above on airlocks opening after shower ends so you don`t have to clean them. The miners themselves are on the glass tiles so they don`t block sunlight (only the doors below the scanners do). They will go up to the regolith temperature and above falling regolith will cool them down.

5 hours ago, smcjones said:

AFAIK this is a bug. Why would airlocks magically delete regolith upon opening? I also have found this behavior to be spotty.

I`m not talking about an airlock crusher. I`m talking about an airlock as a foundation for the scanner that opens after the shower letting the regolith fall on the miners below. I`ve been using this system and it is pretty reliable as long as you clean regolith accumulating below the doors.

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

For the record my miners are built with steel, not thermium.

I think that was in an older version (before QoL1) and regolith was a bit colder back then so steel was enough for the miners to not overheat. Now it`s around 300oC so i suggested thermium. Sorry for not being accurate. I should have linked the exact thread but couldn`t find it.

19 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I think that was in an older version (before QoL1) and regolith was a bit colder back then so steel was enough for the miners to not overheat. Now it`s around 300oC so i suggested thermium. Sorry for not being accurate. I should have linked the exact thread but couldn`t find it.

Even back then Regolith started at 300C.  However most of the heat would transfer into the CO2 surrounding the asteroids and vented to space while the rest of it got absorbed by the steel bunker doors.  By the time it reached the steel miners it was cool enough to be tolerable

Archived