The Warbucks mourning thread.

Warbucks didn't deserve what he got. Sure, he was a rather offensive shade of orange, had some pretty weird perks, had a backstory that made no sense due to half of it being removed, and probably killed a few people with that entire East India Company thing, and wasn't quite sure if he was an explorer or a hunter. He wasn't perfect, but he still didn't deserve... this. Poor old Warbuck's is the first ever character to get removed to Don't Starve, and one of the few features overall. So may we mourn the loss of our trusty orange explorer friend, who couldn't quite make the cut in the end.

Alright, just woke up a second ago and I gotta say... Warbucks was awful.

Like, Winona levels of awful.

Barely any personality, no real flaw/ironic flaw compared to any other character, his design was just a generic explorer, and the only unique thing about him was "I SAY OL' CHAP I SAY".

I did like his battlecry tho.

His art barely fit in with the games style, regardless of how different Hamlet is.

He was just an all around poorly done character. I've got some issues with Wilba and Woodworm, but Wilba was made MUCH better with the character update, and Woodworm's issues kinda come down to maybe needing a few art tweaks,

Glad I could contribute to the morning thread. : ^ )

I do hope that he gets to keep some of the colonialist style...I mean, I think Klei's going to cave and completely gut him judging from past actions (if they don't just stall and try and make the public forget that the character ever existed), but...we can dream, y'know? I found his pre-sensitivity-training personality funny, tbh.

Can't deny that this situation is a beautiful example of the dangers of unconditional peacemaking, though. When you try and make everyone happy, noone is.

3 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

I do hope that he gets to keep some of the colonialist style...I mean, I think Klei's going to cave and completely gut him judging from past actions (if they don't just stall and try and make the public forget that the character ever existed), but...we can dream, y'know? I found his pre-sensitivity-training personality funny, tbh.

Can't deny that this situation is a beautiful example of the dangers of unconditional peacemaking, though. When you try and make everyone happy, noone is.

But then again, there are mods.

No more than an hour into the update someone already made a mod to re-enable Warbucks.

21 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

No more than an hour into the update someone already made a mod to re-enable Warbucks.

That's cuz Warbucks kinda still exists in the game in his original form.

I think Klei just flipped a switch labeled "Turn Character Off In-Game", and what the mod does is flip it right back.

28 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

...ok? I mean...there are mods that move content between game versions, change the music to orchestrations and let you play cartoon characters, too.
Not sure I get your point. Vanilla content is still nice even if mod content exists.
The 'just mod it' mentality is getting old. Mods are great, but so is actual unified content; especially in a set of games that has some follow-able backstory.
If they'd decided to completely stop supporting DS and saved any new content for DST, I feel like people would be singing a different tune. Same in reverse. This is silly.

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I think Klei just flipped a switch labeled "Turn Character Off In-Game", and what the mod does is flip it right back.

Yea basically. IIRC you can re-enable him with 1 line in the console. It's the watered down version that was last seen, but still.

6 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I was just giving an example of how quick people are to mod things.

It's really easy to just add Warbucks as a mod character.

1 minute ago, lifetheuniverse said:

...ok? I mean...there are mods that move content between game versions, change the music to orchestrations and let you play cartoon characters, too.
Not sure I get your point. Vanilla content is still nice even if mod content exists.
The 'just mod it' mentality is getting old. Mods are great, but so is actual unified content; especially in a set of games that has some follow-able backstory.
If they'd decided to completely stop supporting DS and saved any new content for DST, I feel like people would be singing a different tune. Same in reverse. It's silly.

Yea basically. IIRC you can re-enable him with 1 line in the console. It's the watered down version that was last seen, but still.

Klei have clearly cut Warbucks out of any canon content.

Anything that Klei removes, or changes in any way can be changed back for free, it's all up to the player.

You have the option to add anything you want to the game and you are still complaining?

16 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Klei have clearly cut Warbucks out of any canon content.

Anything that Klei removes, or changes in any way can be changed back for free, it's all up to the player.

You have the option to add anything you want to the game and you are still complaining?

No, I'm mainly complaining because it was seen fit to separate a character from the public eye because some people didn't like the coloration of his skin and his manner of speaking.
It just seems really messed up to me? And sets a terrible precedent for what Klei will be allowed to do in the future. They gave into the mob over nothing yet again, and every victory is encouragement to push even harder the next time.

A character was disabled because some people didn't like to play him...rather than just not play him, the character was disabled. Like...really. I could reverse the question: "People could just choose not to play him, and yet they were still complaining?"
...but keep that removal in mind, then think about the social climate of the world we live in.
I've seen this happen with companies before. I'm sure some people here remember the Linux 'controversy' around 2 English words being used correctly. If Klei decides to stick with this decision...well, it just doesn't bode well for a game that revolves around a lot of unfortunate events and dark humor.

4 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

No, I'm mainly complaining because it was seen fit to separate a character from the public eye because some people didn't like the coloration of his skin and his manner of speaking.
It just seems really messed up to me? And sets a terrible precedent for what Klei will be allowed to do in the future. They gave into the mob over nothing yet again, and every victory is encouragement to push even harder the next time.

A character was disabled because some people didn't like to play him...rather than just not play him, the character was disabled. Like...really. I could reverse the question: "People could just choose not to play him, and yet they were still complaining?"
...but keep that removal in mind, then think about the social climate of the world we live in.
I've seen this happen with companies before. I'm sure some people here remember the Linux 'controversy' around 2 English words being used correctly. If Klei decides to stick with this decision...well, it just doesn't bode well for a game that revolves around a lot of unfortunate events and dark humor.

His art didn't fit the style, his perks made him a worse Maxwell, he had no personality, he had no flaws, he had no use outside of Hamlet.

And besides all that, Klei wasn't happy with the work they did in BETA.

If artistic integrity isn't a standard you accept then this isn't the game for you.

57 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

His art didn't fit the style, his perks made him a worse Maxwell, he had no personality, he had no flaws, he had no use outside of Hamlet.

And besides all that, Klei wasn't happy with the work they did in BETA.

If artistic integrity isn't a standard you accept then this isn't the game for you.

If you say his skin color was questionable, I'll respond that that's literally a 5 minute fix in Photoshop. Not underestimating the work, you wouldn't have to go through the entire set, a simple Hue/Saturation shift on the head part of his assembled character sheet would be enough to see how it looks.

His pros/cons needed work like everyone else; all the base characters are about to get updates in the coming months, and Wilba was just given changes. Bringing things up to speed is indeed part of game development.

He 'had no personality' because his lines were changed after people complained. They then continued to complain until he was disabled because...well, obviously we can't let people exist who've made us offended in the past, right?
That personality thing also didn't stop them from full-releasing Winona.

It was very little to do with 'artistic integrity'. Klei simply got pressured because people can't take a joke...and to take a word from your book: "If you can't take a joke, this game isn't for you.".
We literally come in and take over a world where tribal people were living relatively peacefully prior, desecrate ancient ruins for our convenience and slaughter small animals...and that's just a small portion of the base game, far before Hamlet. This game has always had 'offensive' elements; people just chose now to get offended because they saw an easy opportunity, and Klei has had more attention as of late.

I'm half-expecting people to complain Pomegranates out of the game next. It isn't super-offensive or anything for content to be removed from a game over the associations people choose to make...I just think it's bewildering and a decision that's probably going to do the game/company more harm than good in the long run.

Ironically-

Albert Finney, who played Daddy Warbucks in 'Annie', has died at age 82 recently. :(

Seems like all the Warbucks are getting mourned.

RIP to all the Warbucks. 

I really enjoyed Warbucks.  hope he comes back with the coins and sanity mechanics.  It was a challenge. 

I think he'll be back. He's in the promo art and trailer. If they keep the elements they showed in the trailer and add new things to him, he could be improved.

Maybe they'll officiate him as Wilson's Uncle and make him way more of a Captain Obvious than before.

22 minutes ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Jesus everyone, this is a place of mourning, not of aggressive art critiques. Imagine if in somebody's funeral you walked up and stage, and for your speech said "Timothy was **** and his hair was dyed a bad shade of blonde".

I never cared for that LOSER Timothy, nor his frosted tips. 

Archived