[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

7 hours ago, Ressayez said:

While I weep not for Warbucks, I am disappointed this isn't the Wormwood we got.

I won't sugar coat it, I think that the new design is terrible, especially in comparison to what we could've had instead.. Maybe if I hadn't seen this cutie beforehand I wouldn't feel so spiteful towards it the basis of "seriously? this is what he was replaced with?" But I did, and I stupidly allowed myself to be hopeful and optimistic.

In closing, the end is near. I summon the meteors to me. if god is merciful She will kill me first.

Sorry but devs never showed character and said it will look like this. They never said about this character anything, until release date. They have every right to modify character until they feel it's well done, and then release it. You shouldn't be mad.

Different thing would be if they released character and then remodeled it. Then you could argue old one was better. I still think new one looks really cool.

• Like 1

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, SDragonhead said:

Here it is, being a screenshot from a stream as is it's not high quality though 

IMG_7475.PNG

Hot dog, thanks! I was afraid I'd never find it. I thought they were going to release it in this update, alas. I think it's interesting how it seems that the devs were trying to make him less hunter and more explorer. Not a fan of this smile tbh

3 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Also, what's all this about the sunburnt god being offensive?

Maybe cause he resembles a certain blond haired non-naruto hokage of united states?57a2a6fdf350d_arielcasualshrug.png.a442eaccc7d800078e23056c919d38e4.png

3 hours ago, Jynn said:

it'd be neat if it was a helmet he could craft in the Green Thumb tab, similar to his bramble armor :D

Maybe that can be the fifth form? That way he can have ninja abilties? Plant-jutsu?

8 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

TBH, I'd be happy enough if Tarzan Grandad just gets brought back with the same fighting, adventuring spirit, regardless of backstory so long as they can write something that fits.

The trailer didn't show him being offensive. He seemed kind of cowardly like Wilson when the bats came, so they should probably will base around what they showed in the trailer.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, magia said:

... when I wore silver nackle on day 9 to avoid turining into werepig it worked for the night, but as soon as I took it off I turned into werepig for the whole day ...

I'm a bit late to respond to this, but did you eat monster meat during this?

If you ate monster meat you have to keep the amulet on until the insanity anims stop playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDragonhead said:

People on the forums are really just not seeing what the negatives are for Warbucks' design. It's not because he's red. Klei made bold moves for that color choice but it breaks the art direction of making the characters look like paper cutouts with paper colored skin. This is where trouble starts, if Warbucks could have a 'skin color' then characters like Walani and Warly who are PoC shouldn't be left as gray. 

Another major issue with Warbucks is how he was originally written with quotes that are reminiscent of explorers who've adventures for the purpose of colonizing/extreme darwinism with the idea races evolved from different species/conquering cultures. I guess i'm just a history buff who's more aware of that than most gamers. People argue "it happened in real life, it's okay cuz it was the past". Well I don't think KLEI intended to have a character with a negative back history if he's supposed to be a protagonist to respect. 

IMG_7445.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

This is the first time KLEI walked on hot coals with a character! and I support their decision of being aware of the criticism and I wish more that they can do any corrections than having to continue on explaining this to this fan base 

I think this is a valid criticism, perhaps if he is reintroduced into the game his personality can be retooled slightly. Maybe have him more as an archaeologist or an anthropologist, wanting to study the various fascinating creatures and cultures of The Constant, and removing some of various lines referring to things like the British Empire and the like. I do hope he's added back into the game, I think his posh seterotypicaly British personality meshes well with the rest of the cast! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm a bit late to respond to this, but did you eat monster meat during this?

If you ate monster meat you have to keep the amulet on until the insanity anims stop playing.

No, I havent touched anything considered monster meat (no durians, slugs, lasagnias or the meat itself) whatsoever. It's good to know though, thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegeist said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not a fan of this smile tbh

...I think that smile thing made me understand a hefty part of what I liked about Warbucks' original writing.
It was mentioned that he wasn't good material for a protagonist role, but that seems like people conflating 'protagonist' with 'hero'. It isn't always the case.
Original Warbucks was halfway to being a villain, or at least an anti-hero. I think that's what I liked about him.

You know how sometimes in a movie, there's this really well written villain, and even though you don't agree with with what they're doing, it's a horrible, sometimes horrifying kind of fun to see them in their element? Joker, anyone?
That's what made the original Warbucks interesting. He wasn't a great person; he was believable. Well-written. You could see how much effort went into researching the archetype before putting him together. You could go back and time and meet people almost identical to him.
The loss of that good creative effort is the biggest shame.

That said...

58 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The trailer didn't show him being offensive. He seemed kind of cowardly like Wilson when the bats came, so they should probably will base around what they showed in the trailer.

Imagine if he kept his initial personality, talking himself up as a big deal, superior to all that surrounds him...and when it came down to it, ran away from threats like a total wimp.
Obviously not actually forcing the player to run away, but mechanics based around/encouraging avoiding combat entirely, or doing so at range/setting or using preexisting traps. A great type of character to have for Hamlet, since it adds traps and such.

That could also work out if he's focused more toward the 'archaeologist' part of his personality, and possibly satisfy the critics while keeping the general feel of the character.
An archaeologist, a research-type rather than some hardened survivalist, stranded far from the safeties and conveniences of his home. He talks a big game, takes the accomplishments of those around him for his own, he praises his culture to promote his own personal image by association...but ultimately, no matter how much he tries to pretend otherwise, he's just another dysfunctional outcast struggling to survive in a place where he's far out of his depth, and he might not even be able to survive without the so-called 'savages'.
...basically, remove the 'Most Dangerous Game' part of him while making him think that that's what he is...only to realize far too late to go back that he's not the predator. He's the prey.

A true butt-monkey character.
It'd be great.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
turntable
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, magia said:

But you are right about this being the main issue.

Also, the dude's an English chap that's been plucked from an era where colonialism and exploration were commonplace.

And just because Warbucks mentions the Honorable East India Company doesn't mean that he personally worked there. It was a symbol of national pride for the English people at the time.

Also, Warbucks is an old dude from an old time, so naturally he'd be using archaic language rather than the more modern one we use today. The use of terms like "barbaric" and "savage" held vastly different connotations than they do today.

Spoiler

Think "gay".

It's archaic use means happy, however it's modern connotations are radically different.

Like imagine being plonked down into the era where Warbucks is hinted to originate from. From the way that some people are wailing about Warbucks, peoples' feathers would be in a constant ruffled state as they gaze at the English pride and superiority that was basically ingrained into the culture of the era.

Spoiler

Feathers so ruffled one could be mistaken for a feathered sphere.

sipp.png.a8fabd4c892c9e87e5c62007ed3af3dd.png

29 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Tarzan Grandad

It might just be me but he kinda seems like a certain other character from Tarzan.

Spoiler

Kleiton

Image result for clayton tarzan

Spoiler

No I don't apologize for that.

• Like 3

Meh about the whole Warbucks thing.

Warbucks is just a fictional character. His background shapes him into a jackass. That's just who he is as a character.

We were basically playing as an anti-hero. He wasn't meant to be "respected".

Personally, I don't believe that every character that we play as has to be a goody two shoes.

It's pretty obvious that most people felt insulted by some of his quotes. Do we need to throw out an entire character because some people felt insulted by a character's flaws?

However, I was never big on history so please do forgive my ignorance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SDragonhead said:

Another major issue with Warbucks is how he was originally written with quotes that are reminiscent of explorers who've adventures for the purpose of colonizing/extreme darwinism with the idea races evolved from different species/conquering cultures. I guess i'm just a history buff who's more aware of that than most gamers. People argue "it happened in real life, it's okay cuz it was the past". Well I don't think KLEI intended to have a character with a negative back history if he's supposed to be a protagonist to respect. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd6737d3d41adf82fbd9fa0cedb9329e.png

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Roosev said:

Personally, I don't believe that every character that we play as has to be a goody two shoes.

^ This.

Chatacters would be very boring if they weren't messed up in one way or another.

Wilson isulated himself and is on the verge of being a madman.

Willow possibly burned down a lot of houses probably killing at least 1 person

Wendy is suicidal 

Wx-78 wants to destroy all living beings

Wigfrid kills. A lot

Webber is litterally a child combined with a spider

Maxwell is Maxwell.

Edited by Szczuku
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

^ This.

Chatacters would be very boring if they weren't messed up in one way or another.

Wilson isulated himself and is on the verge of being a madman.

Willow possibly burned down a lot of houses probably killing at least 1 person

Wendy is suicidal 

Wx-78 wants to destroy all living beings

Wigfrid kills. A lot

Maxwell is Maxwell.

And Warbucks's biggest crime is that he is racist.

I mean... dayum!

Edited by Roosev
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

So...What does growing Wormwood do? I haven't tried him out yet, but I'm still curious. I assumed it buffs him in some way, is it similar to WX and gears?

I think he moves faster and attracts bees

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roosev said:

I always wondered how that feels...for either of them.
The spider ate him, but couldn't digest him. Now he walks around inside its body.
...like.
That spider's body is stretched ridiculously and everything Webber does squishes the insides.
Step step step.
Squish squish squish.

And he's implied to be inside of its stomach...but there's also something to the effect of them being actually fused. All the talking in We, but Webber also converses with/talks about previously conversing with the spider (quotes about favorite colors and preferences, including one mention of them specifically 'agreeing on' something, though I forget what)...
But he also seems to be able to see through the spider's eyes, and can process Monster Meat like a spider with no problem.

Those two are weird.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

I always wondered how that feels...for either of them.
The spider ate him, but couldn't digest him. Now he walks around inside its body.
...like.
That spider's body is stretched ridiculously and everything Webber does squishes the insides.
Step step step.
Squish squish squish.

And he's implied to be inside of its stomach...but there's also something to the effect of them being actually fused. All the talking in We, but Webber also converses with/talks about previously conversing with the spider (quotes about favorite colors and preferences, including one mention of them specifically 'agreeing on' something, though I forget what)...
But he also seems to be able to see through the spider's eyes, and can process Monster Meat like a spider with no problem.

Those two are weird.

Idk. I say they are simply fused. There's no boy and no spider. Only Webber.

This makes the most sense rather than what you described.

• Like 2

Regarding the Warbucks nontroversy. If indeed he was removed permanently or is going to be reworked heavily to the point of seeming like a completely different character not because of legitimate reasons like art style clash or useless perks, but because some people found him offensive, then I'd like to point out that:

When I was little our house burned down. Kiel, remove Willow plz.

My great-grandfather and his siblings were victims of dekulakization. Klie, remove Wolfgang ples.  

Considering that most of my ancestors were poor peasants, it's safe to say that they have experienced starvation at least once in their lives. Leik, remove the entire game plox.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5