[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

2 hours ago, bugsmand said:

The reason why you shouldn't look at leaked/datamined stuff. things can change, be unused or straight up be deleted. 

True.

People make wrong assumptions thinking that everything they see will be AUTOMATICALLY added to the game.

The Early Access games always have diverses changes, adding and removing stuff. Nothing is permanent during that time.

Edited by Tapirus
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

This.

People make wrong assumptions thinking that everything they see will be AUTOMATICALLY added to the game.

The Early Access games always have diverses changes, adding and removing stuff. Nothing is permanent during that time.

Well the thing is, new Wormwood looks bad regardless of anyone seeing the datamined one or not; naturally, people who participate in early access have to point that out hoping it get's fixed. In the end, even relased during ea Wormwood can be removed (like Warbucks) or changed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, magia said:

Well the thing is, new Wormwood looks bad regardless of anyone seeing the datamined one or not; naturally, people who participate in early access have to point that out hoping it get's fixed. In the end, even relased during ea Wormwood can be removed (like Warbucks) or changed.

That's point of Early Access, Hamlet is being used to test stuff and Klei is adding & removing things to see what is better before the official release.

DST during Early Access had stuff that was changed and others that were completely removed. The same situation is happening here.

I like Wormwood's new design better than the old one. Why so much hate?

At least the new design's fancy color scheme looks gorgeous and somehow exotic, that really fits Hamlet's overall aesthetics.

While the old design looks more chill and down-to-earth, I don't really think that old design would look good in Hamlet. It probably fits RoG's art style better.

Edited by maxiaogua
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Get rid of Warbucks because I can't see oranges. :wilson_blush:

Monoorangosis?

2 hours ago, POOH_LY said:

His horns look like Acientfuelweaver's.

Also, the fact that he grows flowers kinda like the forest version raises a few eyebrows.

Spoiler

Also, what's all this about the sunburnt god being offensive? Have I completely avoided a huge section of these forums?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it'd be neat if it was a helmet he could craft in the Green Thumb tab, similar to his bramble armor :D

then people could have both, and just craft the helm for the horned look

Edited by Jynn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, magia said:

You're ofcourse entitled to your own opinion, i however in my own opinion still like Wormwood's design. For me  Wormwood's design fits perfectly for Hamlet compared to the old one. Like it or not the old one is scrapped as a design. Just like any other character in a game  that has gotten through that phaze. Even Wilson went through a bunch of different designs, and i bet your ass if you had seen every single one of em. There's probably a different one you'd have liked than the one we had today. But who knows because we'll never see all of em. Just like Wormwoods old design that should've stayed hidden for the public to see.

i do know that some of Wilson's designs have been seen, but again, there was plenty before those i bet, but again who knows, only Klei knows.

Was this harsh? That's not what i was trying to do really, i was just trying to prove a point. 

Edited by bugsmand
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Hide contents

Also, what's all this about the sunburnt god being offensive? Have I completely avoided a huge section of these forums?

From I have *not* seen he kinda looks off than the classic characters, ( wilba is a pig and still her color is less neony than his)

• Like 1

Personally I liked Warbucks, and when I found out people thought he was offensive I went "huh?" and looked into it to read about why that is. Before mocking people who find something offensive I think it's a good idea to understand what their arguments are rather than misrepresent them as strawmen.

My understanding is that the skin color did bother people mostly because they felt it didn't fit the art style of the game. I haven't seen anyone being offended or "triggered" by the skin color. Maybe there are people declaring the skin color offensive but I personally haven't seen any. The aspect of the character people consider offensive is the fact he's a colonist explorer. When you know history you understand people who were colonizer explorers were involved in killing and oppressing a lot of people. That's why people were the most upset with Warbucks.

I'm assuming people aren't explaining it because they don't want to derail the thread and start debates, but we already have people misrepresenting the reason people found Warbucks offensive so I thought I'd explain it real quick. I'm not interested in debating and this will be my only post on this. I'm personally not sure where I stand on the issue. Again, I think Warbucks is cool and unfortunately haven't had the chance to play him yet. (Though people who do mods can help me with that! Hurray mods! I owe people who make good mods my life.) I hope he does come back as an official playable character.

ANYWAY.....

Wormwood looks super cool, I enjoy the interesting and unique characters Klei designs for us! Me and my girlfriend had just been talking about how we'd love to see more monster type characters and here's Wormwood! The fact the character has multiple forms is super cool. I'm also extremely excited about Willba's werepig form. What a fun idea! I know I'm really going to enjoy her character. Willba is delightful.

I'm waiting for Hamlet to be finished before I play it because it was somewhat frustrating for me to play Shipwrecked and have things drastically changed all the time. Hamlet is unfinished, still early access, and I personally think it's looking like a lot of fun so far. I'm really eager and have a somewhat tough time waiting, but I know I'll be happier playing when it's all done.

Thanks for everything you do, Klei! I can never thank you enough for all you do. You provide the community with so much content at such a nice price. Klei really stands out compared to a lot of other more greedy companies who charge a ton of money for the DLC, lol.

Edited by Retty
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8

Just now, lifetheuniverse said:

I think the dispute comes from Release Wormwood looking right for Hamlet, but Scrapped Wormwood looking right for the base game. Both seem kind of out of place in the reverse scenario.

The first one looks like a mummy that mastered plant magic while the other one looks like a just a bright plant

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm 50/50 on new Wormwood's design. I like the new head, the old one looked more like a ram or something, rather than a plant. But I think the old body was cooler, with the gem being partially covered with vines. Now the gem looks like it was glued on at the very last moment as an afterthought.

People on the forums are really just not seeing what the negatives are for Warbucks' design. It's not because he's red. Klei made bold moves for that color choice but it breaks the art direction of making the characters look like paper cutouts with paper colored skin. This is where trouble starts, if Warbucks could have a 'skin color' then characters like Walani and Warly who are PoC shouldn't be left as gray. 

Another major issue with Warbucks is how he was originally written with quotes that are reminiscent of explorers who've adventures for the purpose of colonizing/extreme darwinism with the idea races evolved from different species/conquering cultures. I guess i'm just a history buff who's more aware of that than most gamers. People argue "it happened in real life, it's okay cuz it was the past". Well I don't think KLEI intended to have a character with a negative back history if he's supposed to be a protagonist to respect. 

IMG_7445.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

This is the first time KLEI walked on hot coals with a character! and I support their decision of being aware of the criticism and I wish more that they can do any corrections than having to continue on explaining this to this fan base 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

That stuff has already made the rounds in other places on the forum. It was known that he's (well, was before the quote changes that drained the life out of him) a colonial jerk, and completely full of himself. And there are too many references/direct statements clearly backing up what sort of character he was for Klei to have not known what they were doing...but it's a game that makes fun of people's personality flaws, and uses the screwed up nature of the world it creates as game mechanics.

The surprise came when people started getting offended over it. If anything, he was just pointing out the already-existing themes of the game; stuff present in the base game, and only amplified in Hamlet.
...it's like if people started getting offended at the existence of the Hamlet DLC period because the pigs at the top of the mountain are clearly more advanced and civilized than the lesser culture led by the Pig King. Or at any of the characters using the world to their advantage in the base game.

Warbucks was an issue because human beings like to fight, dominate others and force their ideals onto one-another, and the character simply provided a good opportunity. Which is hilarious, seeing as that behavior through a different lens was exactly what his original character was making fun of.

TL;DR Warbucks was brought down by people just like him.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It was never just about the skin colour for most people from what I understand. The fact he looks like he has a nasty sunburn and is far too oversaturated was never the only thing wrong here. It was the old dialogue, his characterization and his perks, both old and new that struggled to bring anything new and interesting to the table. I think pretending this is all about his skin colour is very disingenuous.

... Also, do any of you actually understand what irony is? You keep using that word and I do not think it means what you think it means.

7 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

That stuff has already made the rounds in other places on the forum. It was known that he's (well, was before the quote changes that drained the life out of him) a colonial jerk, and completely full of himself. And there are too many references/direct statements clearly backing up what sort of character he was for Klei to have not known what they were doing...but it's a game that makes fun of people's personality flaws, and uses the screwed up nature of the world it creates as game mechanics.

The surprise came when people started getting offended over it. If anything, he was just pointing out the already-existing themes of the game; stuff present in the base game, and only amplified in Hamlet.
...it's like if people started getting offended at the existence of the Hamlet DLC period because the pigs at the top of the mountain are clearly more advanced and civilized than the lesser culture led by the Pig King. Or at any of the characters using the world to their advantage in the base game.

Warbucks was an issue because human beings like to fight, dominate others and force their ideals onto one-another, and the character simply provided a good opportunity. Which is hilarious, seeing as that behavior through a different lens was exactly what his original character was making fun of.

TL;DR Warbucks was brought down by people just like him.

You seem the most offended of all, which I guess makes you the most hilarious?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Eww those quotes are so icky. Glad they changed them, but he still gave off bad vibes.

14 minutes ago, SDragonhead said:

IMG_7445.JPG

Gasp, is that the updated character portrait from his art stream? Do you have a cropped version of it? It's for the wiki

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

You seem the most offended of all, which I guess makes you the most hilarious?

I'm just bored and wasting time on a forum while i wait for a fairly intense headache brought on by eating far too many sour candies to go away.

I have a tendency to type things out way too extensively when I actually get interested in something, so there's that. I think the whole situation is silly, and it brings up memories of pretty bad things happening when people try and eliminate the things that they're not fond of...buuut that's about it.

...I don't know. I've seen things. Different perspectives from different experiences and all that.
I've legit been called a robot irl due to how I attempt to filter out emotional responses, so keep that in mind, I guess. Conversations between perceptives are fun to me. If I ever seem too 'animated', it's probably as simple as that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

I'm just bored and wasting time on a forum while i wait for a fairly intense headache brought on by eating far too many sour candies to go away.

I have a tendency to type things out way too extensively when I actually get interested in something, so there's that. I think the whole situation is silly, and it brings up memories of pretty bad things happening when people try and eliminate the things that they're not fond of...buuut that's about it.

...I don't know. I've seen things. Different perspectives from different experiences and all that.
I've legit been called a robot irl due to how I attempt to filter out emotional responses, so keep that in mind, I guess. Conversations between perceptives are fun to me. If I ever seem too 'animated', it's probably as simple as that.

Ok, thanks. It’s good to know that you don’t really care about this issue, so we don’t have to take your views seriously

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Eww those quotes are so icky. Glad they changed them, but he still gave off bad vibes.

Gasp, is that the updated character portrait from his art stream? Do you have a cropped version of it? It's for the wiki

Here it is, being a screenshot from a stream as is it's not high quality though 

IMG_7475.PNG

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Ok, thanks. It’s good to know that you don’t really care about this issue, so we don’t have to take your views seriously

All I meant was that I'm trying to make a case, and I don't see the 'issue' in this issue.
That sort of response is why I don't tend to get these sorts of emotional things. It seems more aimed at me than the subject.

TBH, I'd be happy enough if Tarzan Grandad just gets brought back with the same fighting, adventuring spirit, regardless of backstory so long as they can write something that fits. The backstory made sense, and it's a shame that subjects like these can't even be made fun of these days without setting people off immediately, but at least his personality and aesthetic would be nice to have back. He's the exact type of person I imagine wearing the Pith Hat and exploring these sorts of lands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1