[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

43 minutes ago, JoeW said:

We could bring back the gameplay, perhaps. But not the character. 

It would be great to have a character whose perks include exploration right away, especially of the ruins (which is so fun.)  Thanks.  

• Like 3

Eh, to many, his character was interesting as well. If we weren't to get that back, mechanics resembling what little he had would probably just cause another upset over the new character not being him. Doesn't seem like explorer or ruins-focused characters should be considered again, as nice of an idea as it was; he got removed, and now confirmation bias is something to consider. Bring any part of him back and one side or the other will backlash, depending on how he's presented.
Better to just forget England exists in regard to DS/DST now that it's come to this, TBH. Wouldn't want to bring this fiasco back, and it's open season now, regardless of the reasons the final decision was made. This game's been exposed to politics now.

Makes any possible plans for Maxwell backstory inconvenient, though.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ucw said:

It would be great to have a character whose perks include exploration right away, especially of the ruins (which is so fun.)  Thanks.  

I'm afraid this is an unacceptable appropriation of ancient cultures, and thus cannot be allowed.

The best part is where Joe says his pipe in his avatar is vaping despite being designed based upon an english caricature that predates vaping by literally hundreds of years, he's trolling at this point, and badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, dissentist said:

I'm afraid this is an unacceptable appropriation of ancient cultures, and thus cannot be allowed.

The best part is where Joe says his pipe in his avatar is vaping despite being designed based upon an english caricature that predates vaping by literally hundreds of years, he's trolling at this point, and badly.

I'd say it's moreso that Klei hasn't had to watch their words so carefully in the past. This is the only time I can recall politics affecting the forum this heavily.

Just now, 4 Da LOLs said:

i dont think they care if they were removed to get a cheap scoop

I meant it as both a joke and a literal reality...

Some Media right now gets snapped away because people stopped trusting it after they took pewdiepie out of context...

Stepping into the murky water here, and really, really off topic. 
But It'd be nice to know what's gonna happen to the Snapdragons. 
I'm feeling it's the same story with the Crabapples. But still. 

Also while I'm sad Warbucks has gone missing, I will say I do respect the team's decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

We could bring back the gameplay, perhaps. But not the character. 

I thought the whole issue was that the gameplay wasn't creative enough. If I cared about how each character played first and foremost I'd just play WX/Wicker/Wolfgang. But I don't, so I play as the cool pirate (despite the fact that he's awful outside of SW) and the bad guy from Jumanji (despite the fact that his perks were meager) because I liked their personalities more than the other characters' personalities.

I don't know, removing him entirely instead of just changing his perks like you guys did with Warly and rewriting some of his lines doesn't seem right. How many "it's a...thing"s do you guys change from patch to patch? Just pretend the lines that use the word "savages" or reference the East India Trading company are placeholders like that.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I meant it as both a joke and a literal reality...

Some Media right now gets snapped away because people stopped trusting it after they took pewdiepie out of context...

Man...this.
I miss when fun wasn't so regulated.

Resette best put into words what I feel toward this situation in another thread. Feels like humanity's just backed itself into a stressful corner lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaribbeanIguana said:

I thought the whole issue was that the gameplay wasn't creative enough. If I cared about how each character played first and foremost I'd just play WX/Wicker/Wolfgang. But I don't, so I play as the cool pirate (despite the fact that he's awful outside of SW) and the bad guy from Jumanji (despite the fact that his perks were meager) because I liked their personalities more than the other characters' personalities.

I don't know, removing him entirely instead of just changing his perks like you guys did with Warly and rewriting some of his lines doesn't seem right. How many "it's a...thing"s do you guys change from patch to patch? Just pretend the lines that use the word "savages" or reference the East India Trading company are placeholders like that.

We already changed the strings a long time ago. As I said previously, there was no outrage that this was in response to. It was a decision we made so we can make something new and interesting. 

What I was saying before with the gameplay was not to say that we would just bring the exact same gameplay back on a new character, but to mean that the gameplay people enjoyed about Warbucks. He was pretty lackluster, but there were aspects to him that people enjoyed and are upset to lose, so we are discussing what to do about that specifically. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

In terms of the perfromance issues, we're working on that and will soon have a roadmap on what we expect to have done before we finish early access. 

Is putting the teleportato or any other form of world-jumping in Hamlet on that roadmap? And if so, would such a feature be able to be retrofitted on pre-existing Hamlet worlds?

Edited by SandvichSpy
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Yeah, like his entire personality and character.

Not trying to start stuff, but you're just kind of sitting here repeating yourself.

He is gone, the whole team agreed it's for the better, the best we can hope for is that the new character is gonna be just as good! Positive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

We already changed the strings a long time ago. As I said previously, there was no outrage that this was in response to. It was a decision we made so we can make something new and interesting. 

What I was saying before with the gameplay was not to say that we would just bring the exact same gameplay back on a new character, but to mean that the gameplay people enjoyed about Warbucks. He was pretty lackluster, but there were aspects to him that people enjoyed and are upset to lose, so we are discussing what to do about that specifically. 

Now, correct me if I'm wrong... but are you saying... that you're at least considering bringing Warbucks back? Even if he's going to get a changed personality?

2 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Not trying to start stuff, but you're just kind of sitting here repeating yourself.

He is gone, the whole team agreed it's for the better, the best we can hope for is that the new character is gonna be just as good! Positive.

I’m sitting here repeating myself because no one seems to understand how crazy it is that the a character that vast majority either liked or were neutral towards got uncerimoniously gutted because the devs are out of touch with their player base  

Edited by Izuku_Midoriya
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkylordElberich said:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong... but are you saying... that you're at least considering bringing Warbucks back? Even if he's going to get a changed personality?

He just said on page 15 the character is not coming back but the perks might.

13 minutes ago, CaribbeanIguana said:

To be fair they have been completely contradicting themselves on this all weekend, basically up until this morning when the official line changed to a firm "we're not bringing him back period", almost as if they're challenging their fan base to be pissed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

Is putting the teleportato or any other form of world-jumping in Hamlet on that roadmap? And if so, would such a feature be able to be retrofitted on pre-existing Hamlet worlds?

I hope it won't be teleportato but something way different

Warbucks was a fun character with perks that were bland and required some change to make them more interesting.

Wormwood is a unique character very different from the others. He is a bit harder too (he can't heal from food). And I must say I really, really like him! Is he better than Warbucks? Definitely!

But Warbucks was already made. Someone put work in this character. Those graphics/ code/ lines didn't make themselves. So it's illogical in my opinion to delete him... Why just not rework his perks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1