[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

Just now, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Can you please clarify when you said wormwood was OBJECTIVELY better? That seems very opinionated and out of touch.

You're right, maybe I should have chosen better words. From a design perspective he is a better character. More varied, interesting and unique. Whether you like him better or not was not the intention of the statement, only the design.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JoeW said:

You're right, maybe I should have chosen better words. From a design perspective he is a better character. More varied, interesting and unique. Whether you like him better or not was not the intention of the statement, only the design.

A plant is more interesting, yes, but in his current state I don’t find him very fun. The values for his healing and damage seem imbalanced and his interactions with snaptooths seems unpolished.

however, I think removing him would be ridiculous because while the creative process is challenging, giving up on a released character and throwing him to the trash seems incredibly wasteful and stupid. It would have been a lot more respectful to the community to ask us whether or not we wanted him gone. I’ve seen a lot more support for his inclusion or neutrality than I have seen people who are glad he’s gone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

... and his interactions with snaptooths seems unpolished.

What's wrong with the snaptooth interactions? A recent update should've fixed them attacking Wormwood while holding veggies.

They only do so with meat, that's all.

• Like 1

Just now, Zeklo said:

What's wrong with the snaptooth interactions? A recent update should've fixed them attacking Wormwood while holding veggies.

They only do so with meat, that's all.

They just feel very uninspired and kind of useless, especially since people complained warbucks was flawed because he was only useful in hamlet when the only aggressive plants that are super common are in hamlet

• Like 1

Just now, Izuku_Midoriya said:

They just feel very uninspired and kind of useless, especially since people complained warbucks was flawed because he was only useful in hamlet when the only aggressive plants that are super common are in hamlet

I find it more like the cherry on top. More so for his theme than anything else. It's somewhat useful when gathering nettle I guess, but yeah nothing too special. Though I think that's fine. Wormwood already has a lot of other stuff going for him.

30 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Joe + the rest of the devs involved, I'm relived that you've gotten involved with this uh wildfire. You're really good on your decisions and I hope it all isn't so overwhelming. Along the lines of the process of character design there's always eventually gonna be something that can get criticism and it's upsetting if the reactions weren't as intended. So I do wish you all can get through all this cuz it certainly feels important and meaningful on the responses you've now been giving. Video games are hard to make. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Please keep the conversation polite and without personal attacks. Thanks. 

I'm not up to date on that - but I will pass on the feedback to Jason. 

dang.png.420cd79953b90ffa712e75397e6dd508.png all I had to do was mention Joe and he smote people back into order (hopefully).

I think he nicked the same neural network @nome uses for potato cups.

Spoiler

Also I did it. I made Warbucks look like all the other DS characters!

5c5fb079dbca9_PCWarbucks_000.png.a2afa0b66b1f0aac43918aceb8592c90.png

Is he better now guys?

• Haha 1

I appreciate it. But let's not point fingers here. Not everybody is making that argument, some people are just upset that a character they liked went away. If I have learned anything here it's that leaving the character in wasn't good enough to keep people calm about it. 

We'll all be talking about this together Monday for sure. =) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

I appreciate it. But let's not point fingers here. Not everybody is making that argument, some people are just upset that a character they liked went away. If I have learned anything here it's that leaving the character in wasn't good enough to keep people calm about it. 

We'll all be talking about this together Monday for sure. =) 

Oh god...Joe's gonna be sitting us all down at the table for a "family discussion".

Spoiler

And the belt's going to be doing the talking. :wilson_ecstatic:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Oh god...Joe's gonna be sitting us all down at the table for a "family discussion".

Hide contents

And the belt's going to be doing the talking. :wilson_ecstatic:

you are the one thing that lifted the depressing void away from me right now thanks

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your hard work, devs. I know there are still a lot of feathers ruffled over here, and I hope it's not stressing you guys out too badly-- have some water, or coffee; get some rest. I'm very proud of how far this company has come and I eagerly look forwards to all your future content. Don't let the chaos over here get you down-- it'll pass, soon enough, I hope. 

3 minutes ago, Werecrowe said:

I hope it's not stressing you guys out too badly-- have some water, or coffee; get some rest

Water, coffee, or hard liqueur.

Spoiler

I'm just sayin', Canadian hard liquor is basically just maple syrup. :lol:

Also what do you think I mix in that cup I'm always sipping in my forum weapons?

gossipp.png.7e46688a7359158ec851d57177d88bf7.png

Spoiler

This was a joke btw...please no ban.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Water, coffee, or hard liqueur.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm just sayin', Canadian hard liquor is basically just maple syrup. :lol:

Also what do you think I mix in that cup I'm always sipping in my forum weapons?

gossipp.png.7e46688a7359158ec851d57177d88bf7.png

Reveal hidden contents

This was a joke btw...please no ban.

To be honest I'm pretty sure you just mix everything you can find in the kitchen.

I don't see the point in redoing the trailers. If anything the main focus of the team should be to close the loose ends and polish the game. In its current state also there are a variety of bugs (although not major).

Like the giant grub or the ancient herald doesn't drop anything.

Hammering mandrake home doesn't drop anything.

Swarming of beetles.

Lots of crafting ingredients sold in the shop(boss loots) are unusable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ansuman said:

I don't see the point in redoing the trailers. If anything the main focus of the team should be to close the loose ends and polish the game. In its current state also there are a variety of bugs (although not major).

Like the giant grub or the ancient herald doesn't drop anything.

Hammering mandrake home doesn't drop anything.

Swarming of beetles.

Lots of crafting ingredients sold in the shop(boss loots) are unusable.

You're right, though the trailers will no doubt raise questions in the future when people who aren't aware of all this come around (and no matter your stance on the whole Warbucks thing, it is inarguably minor(?) false advertising)

Edited by Strangerdanger101
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SDragonhead said:

So anyway I don't know why those who oppose me would think I should find the entire aspect of the game offensive. They all have fictitious qualities and like., stories gotta start from some inspiration. Game mechanics like hunt and kill are just how games work. I guess it's when Warbucks mentions real life events or activities or phrases that had been damaging to real countries, and having that be a part of his personality and personhood, is where it steppies in to the wild side. I'm an avid history buff and antique restorer but not all of history is pleasing to the eyes. If he ever did came back I'd just like a character who's maybe more lovable and redeemable than how he was written as compared to the rest of the cast of characters who didn't touch that close to that part of history.  

I am grateful to you for speaking your mind about this, and for sticking to it to elaborate for everybody, in spite of the backlash.

I have always read the DS franchise as a series about post-colonialism. The Ancients' fallen civilization a mish-mash of Aztec/Toltec/Mayan architecture and symbols and art and tools. The story is about early 20th-century folks from one world coming to a new one and claiming it at the expense of its natives. The Nightmare Throne is implied to be at the hub of an interdimensional empire run by "Them". Maxwell's backstory ties to the post-colonial themes of "The Tempest", being a magician who is banished and becomes the manipulative ruler of the land where he ends up. So when I first saw Warbucks implemented, that felt like a very organic continuation of the theme to me.

Reading Rellimarual's and your points are making me reconsider, though. I still think that DS has always had post-colonial themes, but what I'm getting from you is that until Warbucks, they had been couched in fantasy/metaphor/relatively obscure references (like Wendy invoking Kipling when she calls the bunnymen fuzzy-wuzzies). I can see how Warbucks would be more invasive since he makes far more direct reference to IRL colonial powers; in the case of the other survivors, it is easier to avoid thinking about the implications if one doesn't wish to. It moved from being implicit to being explicit. The bad guys in fiction often evoke IRL oppression through choices in visual design, word choice, cinematography, and other means (e.g. stormtroopers in Star Wars) but some lines are still drawn--it is rare to see actual swastikas or white pointed hoods, etc.

Personally I was less bothered by the existence of Warbucks, than I am currently bothered by the absence of Warly (or any other POC) in DST #addwarlytoDST

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for clearing things up @JoeW, we needed some official word to get this under control lol.

Much as I'll miss his personality type, and think it's a shame that Warbucks was caught up in something that now really does make him too hot of a subject to handle...I have to agree that Wormwood's addition was a good call, regardless of the removal. Hopefully he'll get a bit more interesting personality-wise as time goes on, he seems fun mechanically so far.
I hate how this went community-wise, and it might have been avoidable...but eh. What's done is done.
Maybe I'll add him as a skin for the psychotic Mr. Hammer when I get around to finishing that mod a decade from now.

Rip in pepperonis Lara Croft's eccentric granduncle.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
  • Thanks 1