[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

1 minute ago, SDragonhead said:

Cartoonishly "evil" is better for this type of game compared to mentioning of a very real "evil" that can be pinpointed in a timeline which isn't exactly cartoony at best and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just using that word in place of character flaws, plot lines, whatever that makes up the plot and stuff so on so forth 

The entire DLC’s setting is representative of the age of imperialism, though.

Let's be super clear here. The reason we had issue with him was more because of this type of thread. It wasn't as much the character or what he represents, it's what people think that it does. Like this thread there have been a lot of speculations about our intent, when I clearly said why. We didn't have a single person actually contact us to complain about Warbucks. None. Not even one. There were conversations about it, And even after we changed it, there was speculation and decisions about what we did and why when it's very plainly stated.

The simple fact is, we could do better. So we did. If we were trying to sweep him under the rug, we would have removed him entirely. We didn't. I'm sorry that some of you disagree with that decision, but we aren't going to invest more time into it, we put that time into a new character instead.

As far as being upset because of a misrepresentation of what's in the game, we did add a new character in his place. An objectively better character gameplay-wise. We are still in an early-access for the game, that's being worked on added to and changed, but I am sorry you feel that we are misrepresenting what we are doing with the game, but I don't think we are hiding that fact at all.

We will make a new trailer for sure. We're currently working out a roadmap for what we need to get completed to finish early access for the game. 

It's cool for us to talk about this. But let's keep it civil. We're not up to anything weird. Simply when we were in a room talking about how to 'fix' Warbucks, we simply decided our time was better spent on something new. It's that simple. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18
  • Sad 7

why all the fuss about warbucks? people wanted more interesting characters gameplay-wise and then they cry about klei removing a very boring character in terms of abilities in favor of a better one. am i the only one that thinks that klei went for the best option here?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

9 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Let's be super clear here. The reason we had issue with him was more because of this type of thread. It wasn't as much the character or what he represents, it's what people think that it does. Like this thread there have been a lot of speculations about our intent, when I clearly said why. We didn't have a single person actually contact us to complain about Warbucks. None. Not even one. There were conversations about it, And even after we changed it, there was speculation and decisions about what we did and why when it's very plainly stated.

The simple fact is, we could do better. So we did. If we were trying to sweep him under the rug, we would have removed him entirely. We didn't. I'm sorry that some of you disagree with that decision, but we aren't going to invest more time into it, we put that time into a new character instead.

As far as being upset because of a misrepresentation of what's in the game, we did add a new character in his place. An objectively better character gameplay-wise. We are still in an early-access for the game, that's being worked on added to and changed, but I am sorry you feel that we are misrepresenting what we are doing with the game, but I don't think we are hiding that fact at all.

We will make a new trailer for sure. We're currently working out a roadmap for what we need to get completed to finish early access for the game. 

It's cool for us to talk about this. But let's keep it civil. We're not up to anything weird. Simply when we were in a room talking about how to 'fix' Warbucks, we simply decided our time was better spent on something new. It's that simple. 

Any chances of him at least getting added back into the official line up in his current state? I still enjoyed playing as him and I can't say no to extra content!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SplOrange said:

why all the fuss about warbucks? people wanted more interesting characters gameplay-wise and then they cry about klei removing a very boring character in terms of abilities in favor of a better one. am i the only one that thinks that klei went for the best option here?

After JoeW’s comment I want to just let go of this, as I get he’s implying we can still play has him in other ways (mods, cheats) but the word “removing a very boring character” is what really annoys me: it’s not about that, just read what was said. He could have been reworked but he was controversial and that made it not worth the trouble. But I did like him, and I have the same right to be upset as all the others who were upset when he was here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Roosev said:

Any chances of him at least getting added back into the official line up in his current state? I still enjoyed playing as him and I can't say no to extra content!

I mean. Normally I would say it's possible. But at this point he carries a lot of baggage, right? Anything we might do and even if we did nothing people would assume that means something. Basically he's an issue that no matter what we say or do with him people are going to make assumptions that really limit our creative freedom. 

It's a regrettable situation, for sure.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

I mean. Normally I would say it's possible. But at this point he carries a lot of baggage, right? Anything we might do and even if we did nothing people would assume that means something. Basically he's an issue that no matter what we say or do with him people are going to make assumptions that really limit our creative freedom. 

It's a regrettable situation, for sure.

I see.

I am not going to act like I didn't gossip about the intentions behind him, as I did do so.

The whole situation... It's just a damn shame.

Edited by Roosev
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roosev said:

I see. I am not going to act like I didn't gospil about the intentions behind him, as I did do so.

The whole situation... It's just a damn shame...

It absolutely is. 

Frankly what we learned from this is that the characters really can be made a lot more interesting than they have been. This is part of our big QOL push across multiple games.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

It absolutely is. 

Frankly what we learned from this is that the characters really can be made a lot more interesting than they have been. This is part of our big QOL push across multiple games.

Since we naturally flown onto the topic of QOL, could you share with us official KLEI stance on implementation of the whip in the Hamlet? Or more seriously, are you guys even considering it? It could be nice to hope for that low % chance of aoe stun in the DLC which is about them mob swarms.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JoeW said:

An objectively better character gameplay-wise.

I don’t enjoy playing wormwood at all. I enjoyed warbucks greatly. I liked being at home in the towns and amassing mountains of oincs while going on expeditions to ruins right off the bat. Stating that he’s “objectively” better makes you look really out of touch.

31 minutes ago, SplOrange said:

I thought he was totally fine and was hoping for polishes to his set to make him more unique. He was actually my favorite character in the game after Warly.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

I don’t enjoy playing wormwood at all. I enjoyed warbucks greatly. I liked being at home in the towns and amassing mountains of oincs while going on expeditions to ruins right off the bat. Stating that he’s “objectively” better makes you look really out of touch.

that sounds like something you can do as every other character... warbucks just made the coins slightly raise your sanity

• Like 4

Just now, SplOrange said:

that sounds like something you can do as every other character... warbucks just made the coins slightly raise your sanity

You can’t go to ruins and effectively harvest relics and gold right off the bat. Hamlet leaves a lot of grinding for uninteresting stuff playing as any other character. Warbucks starting with a bit of explorer’s gear meant you could skip that bell curve a bit and let me experience more of the DLC faster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

You can’t go to ruins and effectively harvest relics and gold right off the bat. Hamlet leaves a lot of grinding for uninteresting stuff playing as any other character. Warbucks starting with a bit of explorer’s gear meant you could skip that bell curve a bit and let me experience more of the DLC faster. 

i guess you'll just have to go through the misery of building a science machine... oh well

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

With the new Wilba you can storm ruins day one/two. If you pick up enough food in advance you won't starve doing that. Can't chisel stuff but you can smash pots, also the best loot is in the hidden rooms anyways.

Just now, SplOrange said:

i guess you'll just have to go through the misery of building a science machine... oh well

I don’t appreciate getting mocked for how I enjoy the game. If you enjoy the repetitive grind of hunting down gold early game, go for it with any other character you want. I enjoyed having that headstart to experience the new content of each update. If you don’t like that “crutch,” don’t play as him.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, JoeW said:

It absolutely is. 

I am so sorry that all of this is happening Klei, it is saddening that a decision made for the betterment of the game and its community has been ransacked by people with certain agendas to push. This is your game, your creative vision, and I can wholeheartedly say that you have never ever let us down in any of the stunning games you gave us over the past years. Sometimes taking players' suggestions is good and all, but in the end it is the game you want to create first and foremost. All this backlash is uncivilized, childish, and not at all what I think this community represents. There is room for discussion, always, but not like this.

• Like 1

Really gotta wonder how many of the people claiming to love Warbucks so much now would be so triggered by this if it weren’t for the totally imaginary SJWs they convinced themselves were behind his removal. Congrats on being totally offended by nothing. You are the true snowflakes.

Edited by Rellimarual
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rellimarual said:

Really gotta wonder how many of the people claiming to love Warbucks so much now would be so triggered by this if it weren’t for the totally imaginary SJWs they convinced themselves were behind his removal. Congrats on being totally offended by nothing. You are the true snowflakes.

I genuinely liked the character. I’m mad at the removal for whatever the reason. “You guys are the TRUE snowflakes” isn’t an argument. You can’t be offended for a baseless reason and then mock people who are upset for a legitimate reason.

• Haha 1

Please keep the conversation polite and without personal attacks. Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, magia said:

Since we naturally flown onto the topic of QOL, could you share with us official KLEI stance on implementation of the whip in the Hamlet? Or more seriously, are you guys even considering it? It could be nice to hope for that low % chance of aoe stun in the DLC which is about them mob swarms.

I'm not up to date on that - but I will pass on the feedback to Jason. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4