[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

1 hour ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

If they really won’t add him back, I want a refund tbh. I bought the DLC mostly because I thought he looked enjoyable to play. 

You can always download simple mod that returns Warbucks back in game.

For example 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1648155225

or

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1648283164

Edited by FeNniX

On 07/02/2019 at 9:58 PM, SkylordElberich said:

In all seriousness, though, I genuinely do hope Warbucks makes a return. It just wouldn't be the same without him!

Open mouth, insert foot, then die 37 years later by accidently falling off a cliff. The fall will not kill me, but complications eventually take their toll, and I pass away surrounded by family and friends, specifically my brother, his wife, my 5 nieces and nephews, my 15 grand-nieces and nephews (but no wife, children or grandchildren of my own, sadly my life never went down that path), my very good companion Josh (whom I have known since high school) some other good friends I first met online, and my young apprentice, who would carry on my legacy as an eccentric curator of a museum on victorian medical devices and the artwork of Vincent van Gogh, located in dover.

I went a little off-track, didn't I?

• Haha 2

I don't get it. Willow is a mockery on Pyromaniacs. Wendy is a mockery of a girl whose sister died... Considering how many people these steriotypes can hurt (those whose houses/cars were burned by arsonists or those whose brother/sister died) how is Klei finding a mockery of a colonial adventurer more problematic. Any gameplay problem could have been fixed with character reworks. Why do something so radical as removing a character? What kind of an excuse is it that he looked off (I admit rhe shade of orange was a bit extreme but the dude had a standart don't starve character look, what about Wormwood who looks like nothing from don't starve universe). I really don't get Klei on this one and disapprove of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I’ve been with DS since the Beta days...what a long trip it was.

and I’m so, so so very sad to see this game go into the road of censorship.

It hurts.

I can’t accept people’s behavior of entitled “emotional triggers” who want to censor what they find weird or a little different, such a childish way to act. Warbucks was commentary.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

It hurts.

I can’t accept people’s behavior of entitled “emotional triggers” who want to censor what they find weird or a little different, such a childish way to act. Warbucks was commentary.

the mindset of the special snowflakes is nothing but pure disgusting cruel entitlement

Edited by 4 Da LOLs

Jeez, you all are being very mean. If you read the actual update, they make no mention of Warbucks' removal being about "censorship", or because of the "sjws".

On 2/7/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jason said:

We weren't very happy with how Warbucks was working out. While trying to find ways to make him work, we decided that he just wasn't as interesting as we would like, and so we've made the decision to start from scratch with a new character.

This was purely Klei's decision, so why are you all going after other fans who just happen to have misgivings about a character you happened to have liked?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Jeez, you all are being very mean. If you read the actual update, they make no mention of Warbucks' removal being about "censorship", or because of the "sjws".

This was purely Klei's decision, so why are you all going after other fans who just happen to have misgivings about a character you happened to have liked?

No other unfun character like the SW ones were reworked, there is clearly something else happening: just look at the replies on this thread.

plus saying “you all are being mean” is not a fair way to address my points

Edited by DwerBomb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Ultimately we felt Warbucks was both culturally problematic and not also very interesting to play so we decided to start over. 

So there are a lot of very uninteresting characters in the game, and the "culturally problematic" part was never mentioned in the original post? Were you guys intentionally trying to obfuscate the reasons why you removed him to placate the vocal minority that complain about his caricature and hoping the segment of the playerbase that actually liked him would just forget about the whole thing? Sounds super unfair.

• Like 9

Warbucks had proper art made for him and he was even featured in the trailer and the posters.

There's no way he was removed because "he wasn't working". That's what balancing is for. Hell, even his personality was more interesting than most of Don't Starve's cast! Him not being unique enough wasn't the problem. He was almost perfect for Hamlet!

Ironically enough, that same personality was very likely the reason for him getting removed, due to the fact that people took insult to his background (a fictional character's background mind you) and Klei writing such stories in a game that hasn't really touched upon such subjects has... touched some people the wrong way.

Whilst I understand why they'd want to distance themselves away from negative "controversies", I can't help but be disappointed that Klei has given in.

Also, I do admit that my reasonings may be gossip at best, but I refuse to believe that they removed him for "personal" reasons. This screams to me as damage control.

Sorry Klei, but you should have stuck to your guns instead.

Edited by Roosev
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

No other unfun character like the SW ones were reworked, there is clearly something else happening: just look at the replies on this thread.

plus saying “you all are being mean” is not a fair way to address my points

49 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

It hurts.

1. This is not censorship, it's a business decision by a company that wants to make money.
  2. Consumers are supposed to voice their concerns about a product, that's normal and good. I don't think it's nice to call them "entitled" "emotional triggers" (confused by this) and blaming them for censorship, and calling them childish.
  3. Warbucks wasn't commentary, he was a boring cardboard cutout of "great white hunter/colonist", with no redeeming qualities. This is a fantastical adventure game, not historical fiction.

Also I want to say I feel bad for not noticing that JoeW clarified the matter of Warbucks' removal, I was avoiding this thread for anxiety reasons. I'm glad he did, and I'll still stand by the fact that this is Klei's decision, and that people shouldn't go after other fans for what they decided.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Also I want to say I feel bad for not noticing that JoeW clarified the matter of Warbucks' removal, I was avoiding this thread for anxiety reasons. I'm glad he did, and I'll still stand by the fact that this is Klei's decision, and that people shouldn't go after other fans for what they decided.

Their wording kind of implies it wasn’t

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

1. This is not censorship, it's a business decision by a company that wants to make money.
  2. Consumers are supposed to voice their concerns about a product, that's normal and good. I don't think it's nice to call them "entitled" "emotional triggers" (confused by this) and blaming them for censorship, and calling them childish.
  3. Warbucks wasn't commentary, he was a boring cardboard cutout of "great white hunter/colonist", with no redeeming qualities. This is a fantastical adventure game, not historical fiction.

I already bought the dlc but knowing this can happen is really bad. With your point number one you’re validating my own: people were willing to sabotage a game because they found offense in it. Number 2: I can display my distress as well, that’s what I’m doing. And as you can read from some people’s reactions over Warbucks being gone you can feel that they would not have accepted if he stayed. I find that childish because it’s not open to other options. I would have been happy with them reworking his quotes (for the “culturally insensitive” part) and his perks (for the “not fun” part) but not getting rid of him completely.  Number 3: ...yes. There were NO redeeming characteristics. That’s the point. That’s why he’s commentary (Plus them being my player avatar I believe that players still shape the character to be good or bad in the way they act but that’s another point)

plus, dude. He looks like the Jumanji Hunter, it’s lovable

Edited by DwerBomb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

When I saw Warbucks the very first time playing I just thought his design was a lil weird compared to all previous playable characters. I expected him to be more layered. Silly archeologist who's half wrong on facts? Cartographer who loves to study landscapes? But nah it was just the basic british rich man personality which seemed flat. With the added layer of mentioning of stuff like East India Company that kinda stirred the sauce cuz that kinda made one wonder as to who and what he was before coming into the jungle, which can be good or bad depending on knowledge.

So anyway I don't know why those who oppose me would think I should find the entire aspect of the game offensive. They all have fictitious qualities and like., stories gotta start from some inspiration. Game mechanics like hunt and kill are just how games work. I guess it's when Warbucks mentions real life events or activities or phrases that had been damaging to real countries, and having that be a part of his personality and personhood, is where it steppies in to the wild side. I'm an avid history buff and antique restorer but not all of history is pleasing to the eyes. If he ever did came back I'd just like a character who's maybe more lovable and redeemable than how he was written as compared to the rest of the cast of characters who didn't touch that close to that part of history.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

I already bought the dlc but knowing this can happen is really bad. With your point number one you’re validating my own: people were willing to sabotage a game because they found offense in it.

Where was this sabotage? Or I guess the willingness to sabotage, sorry

Edited by Bluegeist
  • Like 1

Cartoonishly "evil" is better for this type of game compared to mentioning of a very real "evil" that can be pinpointed in a timeline which isn't exactly cartoony at best and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just using that word in place of character flaws, plot lines, whatever that makes up the plot and stuff so on so forth 

• Like 4